As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Permanent Residency/Change of Status

PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
I'm a US Citizen. My girlfriend was on a Student Visa, then had 1 year of OPT where she could be employed here. That OPT is set to expire in June. We recently got married, and I am in the process of starting to look through all of the greencard stuff to get her permanent resident status. I found a spot that said as long as there's a pending application she won't be forced to leave the country. What I couldn't find a clear answer on was; will she still be able to work while there is a pending application, or will she need to wait until the application is approved before she can start working again?

Also, I've been following mostly stuff on this site for step by step stuff and walkthroughs, but if anybody else has any good resources they used, I'd appreciate them.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I had a friend who went through this. She can work through June, she probably won't be deported, but I wouldn't try working during that period. You can try to get her current Visa extended, or get an employer to sponsor her.

The best thing you can do is get a POC (Point of Contact) who you can follow up about the application. Having a direct line makes dealing with government officials much easier. Calling and following up every 3-4 weeks will get your application moved through much faster than send it in and wait.

If you need her income, you could invest in an immigration attorney to move things along faster, that falls under you to determine if the cost/benefit analysis is worth it to you.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    My wife and I went through a similar process where we got married while she was still a student and here on her on student visa. If you want I can try and dig up the information for the immigration attorney we used. It wasn't too costly (from a fee's standpoint) though it did take a lot of time and compiling information and collecting affidavits of "no really it's a legit marriage" from our friends.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    My wife and I also went through a similar process, and she overstayed a travel visa after we were married with no issues. Once the OPT expires she will not be forced to leave the country, but she will not have any type of legal status that will make her employable. Once she is officially approved, she will first receive a letter that states she has been approved, essentially a temporary paper green card. That letter is sufficient proof of legal residency for things like employment, getting a drivers license, etc.

You need to get her greencard application started ASAP. It's a fucking long process, there's a shitload of waiting, and it's expensive. You're gonna get super fucking good at (and sick to death of paying for) filling out the god damned biometrics forms. Get it started while you still have two incomes to pay for all the forms ( @Tofystedeth is right it's not super expensive as immigration forms go, but that's all relative) , and don't waste any more days than you have to. It will (sadly) help if your wife is from somewhere that speaks english as first language, or western Europe.

You'll be interviewed by a USCIS agent who will ask you questions about how you met and how long you knew each other and stuff. It didn't personally happen to me, but I've heard horror stories that they can ask some extremely personal questions about your relationship, including things such as the last time you had sex. My wife and I both agreed that in the event we were asked that question, our answer was going to be "About 20 minutes ago in the parking garage." YMMV.

Cog on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Oh and you are completely at their mercy on when the interview is.
    We were told to expect it to take 6+ for them to tell us when the interview would be, and that it would most likely be 12+ months after we filed.
    Maybe because we're in a less populated part of country but within just a few weeks we got a letter letting us know when the interview was, and it was during a time we were going to be out of the country visiting family.
    Barring like, serious emergencies, they don't let you reschedule without considering it to be you abandoning the process and needing to restart.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah total processing time will very much depend on where you live. I live in the midwest, it was relatively (A couple months total) quick.

You live in NY or Texas or southern California? Hah! Update us in 2017.

• Options
    We live in Minneapolis, so it's kinda like populated Midwest?

Also yeah we've been getting the evidence of the legit relationship ready.

Anybody that has prices on an attorney, it'd be appreciated to get even an estimate on how much it'd be.

• Options
    We saw an immigration attorney, and most will give you a free consult and at least advise you on what they think your specific case looks like. We pretty much got told "your wife is from part of the British empire and her country participates in the visa waver program. You're fine."

Look them up online and call around, you'll be able to see some for free for a consultation and get a feel for if you really need one or not. Chances are, probably not. Your wife was in the country for a long time, plenty long enough to establish your had a legitimate relationship. Any bills in both your names, your rental agreement, any credit cards or store cards you hold jointly, joint bank accounts, car titles, loans, and then all those letters from friends and family. I would imagine you have a lengthy history even prior to your marriage. You should be ok without a lawyer. Of course, IANAL.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I lived in Minneapolis and did something similar. I would recommend you to not hire an attorney and just fill out the forms. My experience with immigration attorneys wasn't very positive, and after speaking with a few they don't really seem necessary unless there's some complications (like a criminal record, etc.) or you really have no idea how to fill out forms. If you need advice or whatever look online. I used to look at visajourney for some guides and stuff and we never had any issues. If your set on getting an attorney and want a recommendation, pm me and I'll try to find the two who answered a couple of my questions for no fee, since they were friends of family.

Otherwise, it was pretty straightforward. It was a while about, but I recall that our interview lasted less than 5 minutes, and my wife got every question 'wrong', since I think she was nervous (she gave the wrong address, etc.) it didn't matter though. Good luck and congratulations.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    full-on disclaimer: i'm a practicing immigration attorney, this does not constitute an attorney-client relationship, this is general info only and not meant to apply to your specific case.

there, that being out of the way:
    in general, if your spouse is applying for a green card through you, as a U.S. citizen, your spouse will be able to apply for temporary work authorization while the green card is pending.

there are two halves to the process, which can be filed at the same time: the I-130 immigrant visa petition filed by the U.S. citizen spouse on behalf of the foreign national spouse, and the I-485 adjustment of status application filed by the foreign national spouse based on the I-130. the I-485 can be filed with an I-765 application for an Employment Authorization Document, or just EAD, and an I-131 application for Advance Parole, which basically permits international travel while the I-485 is pending. in short, the green card application includes applications for a work permit card and a travel card. both take around three months to be issued after the applications are filed. the green card itself is supposed to take around six months, but i've seen it take longer recently.

you should at least consider consulting with a local immigration attorney, because there are quite a few places that can cause hangups. you can also check out www.usimmigrationlawyers.com, which is run by Nolo.com. there are a few good guides there (some of which i've written :P).

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    SynonymSynonym Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Just an addendum to the excellent info above, if you file the I-765 and I-131 along with the I-485, there is potentially no additional cost. If you file them after there may be an additional fee.

Also - do the I-131 even if they don't think they need it. Leaving the country without advance parole can cause your petition to be considered abandoned (depending on where your spouse is from and where they're going).

Synonym on
  • Options
    Synonym wrote: »
    Just an addendum to the excellent info above, if you file the I-765 and I-131 along with the I-485, there is potentially no additional cost. If you file them after there may be an additional fee.

Also - do the I-131 even if they don't think they need it. Leaving the country without advance parole can cause your petition to be considered abandoned (depending on where your spouse is from and where they're going).

the current fees for the I-485 AOS already covers the I-765 work permit application and the I-131 advance parole. you might as well send in all the applications together, because shit be expensive yo.

also, USCIS no longer charges for I-765s and I-131s connected to family-based I-485s filed after June 2007. so if for some reason you do have to file the I-485 separately first, you can follow up with the I-765 and I-131 without extra government fees.

but seriously though, it's a pain to file them separately.

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    the current fees for the I-485 AOS already covers the I-765 work permit application and the I-131 advance parole. you might as well send in all the applications together, because shit be expensive yo.

I'd like to think this is verbatim what you advise your actual clients.

• Options
    government shit is mad expensive, while my shit is hella reasonable given the work and research required for dat crazy law thangs.

uh, anyways, consult a lawyer if you have specific questions. right.

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    First, thank you to every body that responded here. Definitely helped.

An update on the situation:

We talked to a local immigration lawyer and while they did offer a "we do everything, you give us information and we do the rest" type service, they also had a much less expensive "You fill out your own paperwork, then I'll double-check everything and tell you what you missed, and from there you're on your own" type service that we ended up going with.

So, we sent all the paperwork in, and received back a Form I-797C, which appears to be a receipt that they got all the forms we sent in.

Is this the form that would allow my wife to keep working while everything else is pending, or is there another form we'll be receiving later that would do that?

• Options
    As far as I'm aware, it's just a notification of receipt and does not grant any rights for work or residency. @fightinfilipino might have a different view of it or know the actual form you need for that.

• Options
    Cog wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, it's just a notification of receipt and does not grant any rights for work or residency. @fightinfilipino might have a different view of it or know the actual form you need for that.

that's correct, the I-797C is the receipt notice only. it does not unfortunately provide work authorization.

the document that does provide work authorization is the actual Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card itself. USCIS is citing times of 75 days from the date of receipt to approval, but we've been seeing them take longer recently. there is no way to really expedite the approval...

ffNewSig.png