Options

[Warframe] It's good to know that we can dream more than once. (U18 is out!)

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Warframe: We heard you like RNG so now your guns shoot RNG bullets. Sometimes.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    obviously this is melee 3.0

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    obviously this is melee 3.0

"you players are too happy with you guns."

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    So I spent a day playing this, and like....can you guys tell me, from down the tunnel in hindsight, whether or not this is worth playing?

Thought process from a minute ago:
    I've maxed out my Mag at 30 but I'm nowhere near building the Rhino that I farmed component blueprints for off Jackal

Supposedly the special components needed are available at a later world. Sure, just let me kill this Earth boss to open it up.

Oh, Mastery level 5 required, okay, how do I increase mastery?

Googles: Build more Warframes

...For fuck's sake, game.

All of the mechanics are ridiculously opaque and all of the content is horribly gated and progression is non-obvious.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I dunno. I'm just waiting for them to unfuck melee and/or rebalance the scaling of enemies so that your warframe doesn't go from being an invincible god of destruction to dying from a few stray shots after a few later waves.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Sure, just let me kill this Earth boss to open it up.
    Gonna answer the other stuff shortly but first gotta address this
    do not try to fight the earth boss yet
    it's kinda weird: the boss of Earth used to be in the same ballpark as the rest of the planet, but long story short there was a sorta eventy thingy and he got a shiny new mech became a special fight that you had to farm some thingies from an endgame planet to be able to access. More recently, they removed the requirement to farm the thingies for it so that people... y'know, wouldn't have to farm to fight the boss, but he's still the same level he was bumped up to. Basically, go fight another boss, you're not meant to fight this one yet.

• Options

Okay for this, more warframes is one way, but the main thing is by leveling up gear. Any gear; guns, companions, sentinels, warframes.
    This is fairly important in the early game, less so later. Once you hit rank six, you unlock the Soma and the Penta in the marketplace, and you can take those with you through basically the entire rest of the game.
    As I said in chat, for farming exp and by extension, mastery, I'd recommend teaming up with some of the people here and hitting a void defense. Lots of exp, good void loot, and you can get a peak at the higher end play.

And of course, the big question:
    So I spent a day playing this, and like....can you guys tell me, from down the tunnel in hindsight, whether or not this is worth playing?
    I would say yes. The endgame stuff is a barely controlled mass of spamming powers and cutting down entire squads of enemies in a single spray of bullets alongside your friends who are doing the same. Due to playing on a toaster I often had shit framerates but it was fun enough that even despite that I still enjoy it.
    Just never hesitate to ask here for help. We've all been through that early game so we're all willing to ensure that it inflicts itself upon you as little as possible. Pretty much everyone has spares of the bread and butter mods that you'll need, so if you just ask in clan chat for them you'll plenty of people will part with those unused spares.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Okay for this, more warframes is one way, but the main thing is by leveling up gear. Any gear; guns, companions, sentinels, warframes.
    This is fairly important in the early game, less so later. Once you hit rank six, you unlock the Soma and the Penta in the marketplace, and you can take those with you through basically the entire rest of the game.
    As I said in chat, for farming exp and by extension, mastery, I'd recommend teaming up with some of the people here and hitting a void defense. Lots of exp, good void loot, and you can get a peak at the higher end play.

And of course, the big question:
    I would say yes. The endgame stuff is a barely controlled mass of spamming powers and cutting down entire squads of enemies in a single spray of bullets alongside your friends who are doing the same. Due to playing on a toaster I often had shit framerates but it was fun enough that even despite that I still enjoy it.
    Just never hesitate to ask here for help. We've all been through that early game so we're all willing to ensure that it inflicts itself upon you as little as possible. Pretty much everyone has spares of the bread and butter mods that you'll need, so if you just ask in clan chat for them you'll plenty of people will part with those unused spares.

Seriously, just ask in clan chat or on here. Everyone is super helpful and willing to lend a hand. I'll give you anything you want or need that I have extra copies of (and I have copies of a lot of stuff, excepting the really rare or event mods)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I have no idea how the star map or planet progression works anymore since I cleared it back when it was an actual map and not a stupid wheel. Do you still need to kill the boss of a planet to access the next one? If so then yes you'll need to kill Vay Hek to get off of Earth and on to the planets that drop better resources.

There are actually quite a lot of weapons you can just buy for credits, don't have to build, that have no mastery requirements, that you can level up and throw away because they're garbage. Anything with the "Mk-1" prefix, they are crappier versions of better weapons and you can get a feel for how other weapon types like bows, shotguns, throwing knives etc work. When people use the term Mastery Fodder that's what they're talking about.

Definitely try to get in some low level Void runs with people in the clan, you will soon have more Control Modules than you will ever, ever need, and without having to go all the way to Neptune. Use those to build a Sentinel (*cough* Carrier). Sentinels are great for mastery because they give you the same amount of points as a frame but take less time/resources to build, and they come with a weapon that also grants mastery as you level up.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I have no idea how the star map or planet progression works anymore since I cleared it back when it was an actual map and not a stupid wheel. Do you still need to kill the boss of a planet to access the next one? If so then yes you'll need to kill Vay Hek to get off of Earth and on to the planets that drop better resources.

There are actually quite a lot of weapons you can just buy for credits, don't have to build, that have no mastery requirements, that you can level up and throw away because they're garbage. Anything with the "Mk-1" prefix, they are crappier versions of better weapons and you can get a feel for how other weapon types like bows, shotguns, throwing knives etc work. When people use the term Mastery Fodder that's what they're talking about.

Definitely try to get in some low level Void runs with people in the clan, you will soon have more Control Modules than you will ever, ever need, and without having to go all the way to Neptune. Use those to build a Sentinel (*cough* Carrier). Sentinels are great for mastery because they give you the same amount of points as a frame but take less time/resources to build, and they come with a weapon that also grants mastery as you level up.

@SummaryJudgment:

Earth is the only planet that swings from level 1 to 30 or so. Like... literally all the other tiles are 1 to maybe level 10 max and then Vay Hek is all LEVEL 25+ BOSS. You don't have to fight him yet, and you probably don't have the gear to fight him and would just piss yourself off trying. That's why it's gated for MR 5... the average MR 5 player probably wouldn't have the DPS to fight him with ease either, as it's a later built fight and not a simple arena affair (he runs, etc).

That said, from the Wiki, one of the best places for game info:

latest?cb=20150807231603

Where killing the boss of a planet gets you to the next one down. No, you don't need to kill Vay Hek because Mercury is unlocked during the Vor Quest (Vor's Prize) I think as part of getting the ability to travel to other planets or something. I'd have to look it up.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Seriously, once a new person gets to MR2, just head in to alliance/clan chat and ask for stuff you need. It could be as simple as an elemental damage mod for a weapon, or a copy of a more rare nightmare mod. I guarantee someone has too many copies. Like I have four unleveled copies of Lethal Torrent. And copies of basically all the auras, especially the good ones like Corrosive Proj, Energy Siphon, etc etc.

Auras are a great value-add for new players to request in our clan chat because they'll boost the mod points on your frame and help out the team, as well as yourself of course.

• Options
    Also I can't speak for anybody else but I had the exact same frustrations when I was just starting out. MR was so low, couldn't access planets to get the resources to build the weapons to raise the MR, had no mods so all the weapons I did have couldn't kill anything past Venus or Earth so leveling them was painfully slow, I think I carried around a Sicarus until, like, Saturn or some shit, it was bad. I was ready to flip the table before I even got to Earth.

When you are trying to level stuff for mastery the best thing you can do at low levels is get a group to carry you. When you kill something with a gun the XP goes to the gun. When you kill it with a frame power your gun gets nothing. When your gun is low level and/or you have no mods, it does shit for damage and you can't get kills. But when other people kill things near you, you leech XP from them and it gets split amongst everything you have equipped: frame, weapons, sentinel, etc. So the fastest way to level something that you have no mods for is to get in a group with some higher level people and let them do most of the killing. If they have tricked out equipment and frames they will be feeding you ungodly amounts of XP at all times.

I usually recommend Lua, Earth excavation or the Tikal, Earth dark sector excavation because there are shitloads of enemies, they're relatively low level, there's no failure condition, and vets still visit these missions regularly to farm neurodes and void keys. You should be able to limp by to 1,000 cryotic or so before you start dying a lot. E Gate, Venus might work better if you're Mag as you can easily shred Corpus (and refill your shields) using Shield Polarize, but Venus has crap for resources so I don't know if vets frequent that mission.

Stick it out, It Gets Better.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Alright guys, you've made it sound a lot more doable than it currently is :) I've sent out a bunch of friend invites, can someone give me a clan invite? My IGN is same as the forums

I've just built the Karak(8), and I have a Heat Sword(26) from the Infested questline. Still using the Lato, unfortunately. Had a Bratton(26) and a Strun(26), the Bratton just doesn't put out enough DPS and the Strun reload is harsh.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Alright guys, you've made it sound a lot more doable than it currently is :) I've sent out a bunch of friend invites, can someone give me a clan invite? My IGN is same as the forums

I've just built the Karak(8), and I have a Heat Sword(26) from the Infested questline. Still using the Lato, unfortunately. Had a Bratton(26) and a Strun(26), the Bratton just doesn't put out enough DPS and the Strun reload is harsh.
    Yeah, the Braton, Strun, and all the other weapons that you can buy fully built for just creds are really just something to tide you over until you can build a real gun. As for that Lato, I'd recommend using that to build a Bolto, if you can. A solid early game weapon, that, and pretty fun to use too.

Also, I implied this early, but I don't think I ever outright stated it: what you want to do to get out of the early game as fast as possible is to rush for mastery rank 6. As previously stated, you unlock some of the best weapons in the game at MR6, so you'll want to get there as fast as you can and get them built. Once you do that your DPS is all of a sudden just gonna jump way higher and you'll be able to hold your own in the high-level content, and as previously stated that's where the game truly starts.

• Options
    You definitely don't have to kill Vay Hek to go out of the initial 4 planets, the nav segments for Saturn and Jupiter drop off mars and Venus as indicated by the flowchart

• Options
    Karak is a very solid early game rifle. It's mostly Impact damage so will do best against Corpus but with the right elemental mods it can kill anything in the first half of the solar system.

Assuming you're still MR2 I'd recommend:

Primaries

- Kohm: Full auto shotgun, one of my favorite guns. You can leverage the long spool-up time to shoot single shots at reasonable accuracy making it almost a sniper shotgun. It did just get its range nerfed recently though, and you'd have to level up shotgun mods to make best use of it but it's overall very solid and available early. It has innate punch-through so handles crowds well. Once you get some fire rate mods it turns into one of the best room clearing primaries in the game.

- Boltor: Good puncture damage makes it ideal against Grineer and can ragdoll enemies and nail them to walls which is always fun. Bullets have travel time though which can make it difficult to hit targets moving laterally at longer ranges. If by some stroke of luck you get your hands on all the parts to make the Boltor Prime it's hands down one of the top damaging weapons in the game.

- Latron: Single shot rifle with good damage if you can stand to give up full-auto. Good accuracy. Landing headshots is very satisfying. LAter you can use it to build a Tiberon, which is an excellent burst-fire rifle.

Secondaries

- Lex/AkLex: Solid puncture-based hand cannons if you can handle the recoil/fire rate/mag size. The akimbo version fixes the latter two issues nicely.

- Hikou/Kunai: throwing stars/knives as a secondary. Good stats, totally silent, for the quintessential ninja feel.

Melee

- Glaive: If you get the BP as a login reward or alert, build it. It's a throwing disc you can mod to explode on impact and is both super fun, and gives you a ranged combat option while you're reloading. The Kestrel is pretty much the same except Impact based and looks like a boomerang.

- Scindo: Because who doesn't want to carve up everything in the room with a gigantic fucking axe? Now that coptering is dead and heavy melee weapons have been buffed there's less reason not to use them.

Your goal at this point should be to get your hands on the necessary damage mods because even top-tier weapons like the Soma are pretty much useless without the right mods. That means:

- Base damage: Serration for primaries, Hornet Strike for secondaries, Pressure Point for melee, Point Blank for shotguns. You'll eventually want Heavy Caliber but that can wait a long while.
    - Multishot: Split Chamber for primaries, Barrel Diffusion and Lethal Torrent for secondaries, Hell's Chamber for shotguns.
    - Elements: All four base elements for each weapon type, plus as many of the dual-stat element/status chance mods as you can get (mostly from Spy missions)
    - Attack Speed mods: extremely useful for speeding up draw time on bows and certain launchers and a must have on melee weapons.

Those Rank 10 mods like Serration and Hornet Strike cost a bundle of credits and fusion cores to max out, so don't worry about it yet. Just get them to Rank 6 for now, that will leave you with a good enough damage boost and they'll only drain 10 mod energy, which is nice because a matching polarity on the mod slot will cut it to 5 making it much easier to slap it on a new weapon you're leveling up. I have everything maxed but still keep some low-ranked copies around for exactly this reason.

Once those are set, work on the elements. They're only Rank 5 mods so you can max them more cheaply but it might be helpful to keep them at R4 for now so they also only cost 10 energy. That way you can fit a damage mod and two elements on a level 30 weapon with no polarities and no catalyst installed.

You can safely get by never fusing mods like ammo capacity, reload time, status chance (except the dual stats) etc because their benefit is so small, at your level you're much better off saving your cores and credits for more critical mods.

Also make sure you have your Redirection and Vitality for your frame, and slowly work on ranking them up. Survivability is key at low levels, you're leaning on your weapons because you don't have the mods and resources to min-max your frames' abilities yet. Definitely get some auras, at least an Energy Siphon and a Steel Charge. The added points go a long way.

• Options
    - Lex/AkLex: Solid puncture-based hand cannons if you can handle the recoil/fire rate/mag size. The akimbo version fixes the latter two issues nicely.
    I know these are popular choices but
    just
    gonna have to disagree on these
    it cost a ridiculous amount of credits, it's super unwieldy to use, and it just has bad DPS
    just get a Bolto instead
    it's got, like, quadruple the DPS and is actually fun to use

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Or, try both. Decide for yourself which is better.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Isn't the idea here that he's in the early game and he doesn't have a lot of resources to throw around so we're trying to help him get out of that stage as fast as possible

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I'd just say Vasto.
    No traveltime, hits hard, super fast reload. Fires fast enough that you'll never feel artificially slowed but you don't have to use weirdo wheel-spinner fire to utilize its potential.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    I prefered the vastos over the old lexes myself. Upgrade to the akvastos asap, they're a riot.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    MrBeensMrBeens Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Isn't the idea here that he's in the early game and he doesn't have a lot of resources to throw around so we're trying to help him get out of that stage as fast as possible

You are recommending a bolto which takes 2 orokin cells and nurodes to build, which from what I remember were pretty scarce at the start of the game. It also needs another gun as part of the blueprint on top of the 35,000 total cost to build (Lex is 50k credits only).

Both are solid secondaries with both positives and negatives and it will ultimatly come down to personal preference which you cannot predict (much like "fun" which you try to put as a statement of fact for the bolto)

personally I liked the vasto over both as an early game hand cannon.

On a similar note I would find it hard to recommend the Khom as an early game shotgun - it needs 2 argon crystals, and 500 of both cryotic and oxium to make which are not going to be easy to come by for someone just fresh into MR2. Like with most things to do with game balance and progression this is sort of out of whack. The normal (non MK1) Strun is much more obtainable.

MrBeens on
  • Options
    MrBeens wrote: »

You are recommending a bolto which takes 2 orokin cells and nurodes to build, which from what I remember were pretty scarce at the start of the game. It also needs another gun as part of the blueprint on top of the 35,000 total cost to build (Lex is 50k credits only).
    The Lex has a lower DPS than the Lato, though. Higher accuracy and more ammo efficiency, yes, but the lato is not inaccurate enough or inefficient enough for those to really come into play. You're spending fifty thousand cred on a downgrade, and if you want it to not be a downgrade you need to shell out another eighty five thousand cred and an O-cell to make an AkLex, which is still not very good. Meanwhile, the Bolto, while it does take some somewhat rarer materials, is actually a decent gun.
    As for the Vasto, just checked the costs and the DPS, and yeah, that seems pretty useful too. Come to think of it, there probably is a better early game gun than either of these that one could find. I was mostly recommending the Bolto because that's what I went with instead of the Lex when I started over on the Xbone.
    The main thing I'm trying to say is just that the Lex is overpriced and a pretty bad gun, and now I'm gonna go do some maths and see if any secondaries seem good for the early game.

• Options
    kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
    Credits are the easiest thing to come by, and dps is not the most significant attribute, damage per shot can be much more important depending on how you play.

In warframe on PC my name is severenn
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I looove my lex prime.

• Options
    kralizecc wrote: »
    Credits are the easiest thing to come by, and dps is not the most significant attribute, damage per shot can be much more important depending on how you play.
    Credits are easy to get in the late game, notably less so in the early game. Damage per shot is only a game-changer when it's high enough to consistently one-shot or low enough that ammo is a serious issue, and neither of these are the case with the Lex.

• Options
    kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
    You are incorrect cb, the lex will consistently one shot anything in the early game, and is the easiest weapon to get. Credits do come faster the farther into the game you get, but they are also the easiest material to get at any point in the game. You will have more of them than any other resource on any typical mission and they don't require you to do any specific planet to get.

If I were starting out and had very little in the way of resources I'd definitely lay out the credits for a lex, and sell the starting secondary weapon if I had no slots, it's a huge upgrade in killing power over the starter and the lightest burden on your fledgling resources.

@SummaryJudgment , what's your in game name? I can take you on a magic carpet ride to get whatever you need to build whatever you want, or just help make whatever mission you're doing a little easier.

In warframe on PC my name is severenn
  • Options
    You are incorrect cb, the lex will consistently one shot anything in the early game, and is the easiest weapon to get. Credits do come faster the farther into the game you get, but they are also the easiest material to get at any point in the game. You will have more of them than any other resource on any typical mission and they don't require you to do any specific planet to get.

If I were starting out and had very little in the way of resources I'd definitely lay out the credits for a lex, and sell the starting secondary weapon if I had no slots, it's a huge upgrade in killing power over the starter and the lightest burden on your fledgling resources.

@SummaryJudgment , what's your in game name? I can take you on a magic carpet ride to get whatever you need to build whatever you want, or just help make whatever mission you're doing a little easier.

Thanks man, my in game same is the same as my forum handle, SummaryJudgment

I'm ducking out til' Monday afternoonish for the holiday but then I'll be around

• Options
    edited September 2015
    It'll oneshot stuff on the early planets one you've slotted a bit of damage, yeah. It definitely doesn't do that on the mid planets, though, and I think that when trying to rush through the early game, that's what you wanna be gearing for. Your starter guns are sufficient for Mercury, Earth, and Venus, so getting gear that'll allow you to fight a bit better on them is, IMO, an inefficient use of resources, as you'd only need to save a bit more to get something significantly better.

cB557 on
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I'd just say Vasto.
    No traveltime, hits hard, super fast reload. Fires fast enough that you'll never feel artificially slowed but you don't have to use weirdo wheel-spinner fire to utilize its potential.

Doesn't that cost like four neurodes per pistol? I'm MR12 with around 98 neurodes and still say Pfffttt fuck that. Especially if I want to dual wield.

Neurodes are pretty much the rarest I feel. Even O cells feel common to them.

• Options
    Best thing about trying out different weapons at early game is that, even if it turns out you hate it, the mastery points are never wasted and will put you that much closer to unlocking something else you might like.

• Options

I was more taking issue with you stating as fact that one was more fun than the other. Fun is subjective, yo.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

I was more taking issue with you stating as fact that one was more fun than the other. Fun is subjective, yo.

I'm pretty sure my opinions on what's fun are objective fact, and anyone that disagrees with me is a poopface and their mother dresses them funny

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Got to throw in my vote for Lex as well. If your a head popper it will last you quite a while. Though, not that hot for panic fire or infested hordes it is a solid sidearm. Just treat it like an iron sight sniper rifle instead of a traditional handgun. That play type will transition well to merlock and Lex P as well.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Meh! Kunai or go home!

So yeah, you see, this is kinda what Warframe's later game is like: finding the stuff you like best and flipping out and doing crazy ninja shit with it, while arguing with your fellow clansfolk about why their preferences are wrong and yours are better.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Heck, I like the bolto better than the lex.

But I still acknowledge that it's not for everyone.
    DreadBert wrote: »
    Got to throw in my vote for Lex as well. If your a head popper it will last you quite a while. Though, not that hot for panic fire or infested hordes it is a solid sidearm. Just treat it like an iron sight sniper rifle instead of a traditional handgun. That play type will transition well to merlock and Lex P as well.

Funny enough, I used to treat the bolto like that too. Marelok is definitely the right and proper successor to that play style, though.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    uh...marelok is actually far less accurate at long ranges than the lex

i mean it makes up for it by being a superior gun in pretty much every other aspect (and vaykor doubles down on that with higher clip size and justice) and multishot makes up for that somewhat by having lower accuracy increase spread at long distance so even if you miss the crosshair bullet you might still land shots

but lex prime is pinpoint accurate

it's just that that rarely matters

• Options
    MrBeensMrBeens Registered User regular
    Yeah I made a marelok off the back of many recommendations and couldn't get on with it - the long range innaccuracy didn't fit with my playstyle as I was using mid to close primaries and the secondary for long range engagements.

• Options
    Well, whenever I'm talking about the marelok, it's always the vaykor. So YMMV.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Best part of the Mareloks is the accuracy is overrated. Who need headshots when you can clip a Bombard in the pinky finger and he explodes into a fine red mist. Every shot is a headshot.

This discussion has been closed.