As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 Audio - HDMI hates 5.1

LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
I’m fighting with my PS3, and hoping that I can get some help from the more AV savvy here.

I have my 360 and PS3 hooked up to and HDMI switch with an optical out. The 360 passes 5.1 Dolby without an issue. However, the PS3 won’t do that. It passes 2.0 only. The only way I can get the PS3 to pass 5.1 is by the optical connection, but since my new system only has a single input, I would have to get a separate switcher there. My system supports 5.1 Dolby and DTS (and whatever the LPCM is)

I have messed with the multi-out configuration, which I thought would fix my issue. I have turned multi-out off (which should send the 5.1 over HDMI) and turned multi-out on with the HDMI being configured as the “selected” output that is supposed to push 5.1, Nope.

Any bright ideas here? I’ve even tried hooking the HDMI in directly to the sound system, and it still only sends 2.0.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Are you testing this with an actual game or just testing the output with the XMB/System menu thing? I think the audio changes after a game boots that supports those audio formats, but I'm not sure. It's been a while since I booted my PS3.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I'm testing with Bluray, mid-movie. I know that PS3 doesn't constantly output audio in the menu, so I'm changing my setup, rebooting, loading Phantom Menace (I forgot how bad that is, but the Pod Race is the easiest 5.1 test I know) and letting my ears and the display tell me.

I'm justifying my purchase, because I can easily hear when its 5.1 and when it isn't but otherwise this process is making me pretty angry.

• Options
    Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
    sorry for spelling badly dislexic

LPCM is uncompressed audio the ps3 kicks that out too so it might be doing that (upto 7.1)

also i take it you have an 2 hdmi cables one from 360 to the swich and one from the ps3. try swoping the cables over. i think some old hdmi cables dont carry the sound. herd of a few people getting hdmi cables online. being told they are 1.3 and they are really getting 1.0 or 1.1 and it not carrying sound in 5.1 or 3d etc

Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
  • Options
    Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
    ive just had another idea. most blu rays now. the english is in DTS HD or DOLBY MASTER. other langages are dolby 5.1

so if you are not useing a HDMI 1.3a cable or you amp dosnt play DTS HD etc it will probubly defut to 2.1

most people also think that the want the amp to say DTS or dolby and not LPCM or PMC but lpcm and pcm are the uncompressed sound without anyloss so a lot of the time its the better thing depending on your speeker and amp set up

Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
  • Options
    That sounds like it might just be my problem. I'll check that out!