As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mario Kart 8: New Engine Class...WAY TOO FAST

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    If I have free time I may join the tourney tomorrow. Played some DLC yesterday and I am so bad. Way out of practice.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Welp, I finally re-installed after my HDD took a dump. Seeing everything empty... ugh. Also wanted to check out the new DLC so that was strong motivation. Also ya know... 200CC.

So.. lot's of Mario Kart this week to catch back up lol.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I've actually not had too much trouble easing into 200cc, but I did have to change my kart configuration (currently using Isabelle in the Blue Falcon). Having to use the brakes wasn't too hard for me, though my hand does tend to get a little contorted on the complex curves. But I think I should focus on the new courses on 150cc more first - I got my first Silver trophy for the game on the Bell Cup even though the courses didn't look like they would be that difficult.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Speaking of comfort for hands , im using the Hori game cube controller I bought for smash and it is so much better then the gamepad. Next Nintendo system needs to go back to GameCube controllers.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm actually surprised they haven't patched GameCube controller support into Mario Kart 8.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Oh man, the wife and I downloaded the new DLC stuff today. After playing the new tracks, she set out to once again 3-Star the new cups.

"NOOOOOO!!"
    "What's the matter hon?!"
    "I was in first on all the races and lost on the Animal Crossing track at the last second!"

players-of-mario-kart-will-understand-11459.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I've noticed that the AI's competence is heavily dependent on the track for some reason. I had a good 150cc Grand Prix going toward the end, when for some reason Tanooki Mario was just on my ass the entire way and slipped into first on the last curve. It was frustrating, to say the least.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Oh man, sniped on the Cheese map. She's gettin' salty! :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    That's no gouda!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Practicing 200cc and experimenting with new character & kart combos, cuz Morton on the inside drifter isn't gonna cut it anymore. I'm having mixed success. Settling on Baby Rosalina + Comet + Off Road for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWzfGQ2SC1g

Neo Bowser City is fucking impossible on 200cc. There's just no negotiating that last turn with no walls, guaranteed to fall off every time, even if I take it slow all vehicles I've tried so far just turn much too wide on 200cc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE9FUVcCgDo

SNES Rainbow Road on 200cc is, amazingly, a cakewalk. Keep an eye on the mini-map and see how far ahead I get! Mind you this is with the AI on the 'Hard' setting. I even lap a couple racers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr1K8hYpV_Y

200cc Dragon Driftway is doable, though I still spend a lot of time sucking wall. At least none of the turns send me falling to my doom. Also, that first shortcut can be taken in 200cc without a mushroom. Neat!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Unfortunately, due to my sister deciding to have her birthday party today around the time of the tournament, I won't be able to participate. Was really looking forward to trying out the new tracks with you guys.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ConnConn Registered User regular
    I can't even 3-star 150cc. You are some kind of sorcerer.

For the non-DLC tracks, 200cc is way easier than 150cc. The AI behaviors for the first 8 grand prix haven't been adapted to 200cc at all, so they run into walls and off course a lot. Some of the later tracks still get hard for a human player, but once you figure out how to stay on course, the AI can't do much to you. The power items that would Mario Kart you are a lot less frequent, since the races are shorter.

The DLC packs are another story, though. They're still not adapted to 200cc on the 1st DLC pack, but since those courses require much tighter handling, it's more trying for the player. For the newest DLC pack, the AI is fully prepared to race on 200cc, and it is every bit as hard as the regular courses on 150cc or Mirror.

200cc is gonna make me wish we could switch kart parts between races. Whatever advantages certain builds give on certain tracks are a lot more noticeable at this new speed.

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    People seem more accepting of lighter characters in 200cc. The number of players who aren't Bowser or Morton and are instead Toadette and Baby Luigi is very refreshing.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    I'm still rocking the heavy sport bike. Whooo!

People are still learning the 200cc. I'm hoping the classes become more balanced where it comes down to track, but as people figure it out, there's a chance one class will come out on top. I figure start heavy because it's easier to go down than up, lol.

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I've actually settled back onto the build I was using when I was first getting back into practice when Mario Kart 8 came out: Luigi on Mr. Scooty with Slim tires. It's working pretty well in 200cc.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Races start in 15 mins. See y'all on the track!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I will brave the perils of rubbish internet to celebrate the arrival of the new DLC.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I'm trying a whole different setup tonight. I don't expect to do well, but experimenting is fun.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Conn wrote: »
    I will brave the perils of rubbish internet to celebrate the arrival of the new DLC.

Hooray! I am going to brave them too as a recent Sunday tournament attempt had me disconnected several times.

• Options
    Dry Bowser really representing I see.

• Options
    Five Dry Bone Bowsers, that's impressive!

• Options
    Good grief I forgot playing against you guys is like the Mario Kart equivalent to Nightmare mode.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    OMG. I just went 2nd to 9th place right in front of the finish line off a green shell that banked off a tiny rock.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Got disconnected and now having trouble reconnecting. I wasn't doing well, anyway. -_-

• Options
    Join us thru the friends list

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Tried two people and got various errors, but I'm spectating now. Should be back for the next race.

• Options
    This game is in love with the Animal Crossing track.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    These items tonight! You'd think it was on frantic mode.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Ok, Baby Park is pretty fun with that many people!

• Options
    My connection is poop tonight. Three DC's and you're out!

• Options
    Goddamn, that was an avalanche of shit alright!

I'll have to get the replay of that one later.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Mmm, I'm kind of annoyed that I got back home so late, doesn't seem like I'll be able to get into races today. Looking forward to seeing the highlights!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am surprised Nintendo's major ad for this is all "Villager and Isabelle racers!" instead of "Eight GORGEOUS new tracks!"

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Sooooo close to the top three.

Run away victory by Conn in a way that I don't think we've ever seen.

• Options
    Oof, feast or famine on Baby Park, huh? 1st once, 9th the other time.

And how in the hell'd you guys all turn up with triple reds at the same time, and aim so many of them at me, near the end of Super Bell Subway? That was the next biggest fucking right behind that last Baby Park.

It was great to be back, though. Got lucky with the internet. Noticed some lag mid-race, like one instance of someone turning up behind me but being credited as finishing ahead, but I didn't lose the connection outright this time, which was nice.

200cc next week, huh? What a fuckhouse that'll be.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Has anyone been able to get a season other than summer in the new Animal Crossing track? I've time trialed it like 8 times, but still only got summer.

• Options
    More seasons seem to appear when playing online.

I've only gotten summer otherwise myself.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to get a season other than summer in the new Animal Crossing track? I've time trialed it like 8 times, but still only got summer.

You always get Summer in Time Trial mode.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Time trials for that track is summer only.

Edit: I like your moves maz

MiserableMirth on
This discussion has been closed.