As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit the job, help me sell all my zords, transformers, toys and make some money.

ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
edited April 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello PA! You may remember me as a habitual poster of job-related stress issues, and after a bout of carpel tunnel and getting my shift shuffled around all awful like, I simply up and quit my tech job (it was mutual, I was too burnt out to do well), and am hitting the road, traveling from Boston to Chicago in a 1994 Delta 88'. Yes, a 1994 Delta 88' sounds like a Van Halen song.

Anyway, because this was a rash choice, I am headed to Chicago without a ton of money unless my tax return comes in.

Unless all these toys of mine are worth things.

Photos:

Regarding the toys, it's a lot of stuff from Power Rangers - the Ninja Zords, Thunder Zords, Zeo Zords, a few Turbo ones, and then a bunch of the classic action figures.

For transformers I have beast wars stuff, but also a couple of the OLD transformers from the 1980s with the little transformer symbol you rub to tell you if its a good guy or a bad guy.

Then in regards to retro GAMES, I have Xenogears, Pokemon Stadium 2, old NES carts (Mario / Duck hunt / The Magic of Swiachagizlerd), as well as a Sega Genesis, Dreamcast, NES, N64 with controllers, and a Dreamcast keyboard. WWE No Mercy, Conker's Bad Fur Day, etc.

So, question:

I don't want to do Ebay because I leave SOON and wanna sell most of this, so where should I go? Vintage toy store? Pawn Shop? GAMESTOP?! Or is this all more trouble than its worth? What are some of the rarer N64 / NES / Genesis games? Any specific toys from the 90s I should keep a lookout for that I may own?

any other suggestions for how to make some easy / cheap cash on the road? Can I sell ad space on my car?

ANTVGM64 on

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Look into airBnB for a place to crash on the way or when you get there.
    I would recommend putting those toys and games up on craisglist if ebay isn't an option. Offer a deal on a lot, such as all the toys for so much and all the games for so much. I have no idea what the value of those items are but you can punch them into ebay to get a feel. Transformers can be worth a lot especially G1 toys. Good luck.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Gamestop won't be able to help you with stuff that old, and a pawn shop would give you a pittance. You could probably get $20 for that copy of Xenogears, more if it has the case and manual, but it probably won't move very quickly.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    In my local area of <500,000 I could move all that stuff within a week using craigslist. In an area the size of Boston I'd be shocked if it took more than a day before there were buyers for all the items.

Go to ebay and search completed auctions for the stuff you have to see what people are actually buying them for and post an ad on craigslist. Expect to haggle a bit so you could post them with a higher starting price. You'll get fewer inquiries, but the ones that do respond will be less likely to back out. Craigslist also acts as an intermediary for emails so the other person never sees your contact info if you're worried about that at all, so feel free to respond to even obvious spam or scams for your own amusement.

Another option would be swap meets.

Or post Moving Sale flyers around some neighborhoods with a pull tab that has contact info and/or a set day/weekend to come buy your shit.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    For the toys, I'd recommend looking over at the CollectionDX forums, since this sort of stuff is their particular hat.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Gamestop won't be able to help you with stuff that old, and a pawn shop would give you a pittance. You could probably get $20 for that copy of Xenogears, more if it has the case and manual, but it probably won't move very quickly.

Actually, that's no longer true - Gamestop has been making moves in the vintage game market as of late.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Depending on the version of Dreamcast , you can get 100$+ for them on ebay if it's from the moddable era ( can usually google it's serial number and track around) , I found one with no cords or anything in a garage sale not long ago and got 90$ for it fairly fast

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508