Options

Old [NHL] Thread

• Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    The dick slash in the first period of the game the other night with his brilliant one-handed backhand was classic Crosby.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Here comes the 3rd period collapse like clockwork.

I guess I could just keep repeating myself here.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »
    Well, I've officially rounded the bend past indifference and firmly back in anger territory. This team, I swear.

I really enjoyed that last night. Mostly becuase since about 2010 that's what happened to the Oilers all the time. Teams would sleepwalk though 40 minutes, wake up and go "oh wait, we're playing the oilers." and score 3-4 gaoals and win.

Now we're doing it to the other teams!!!

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    and re: Crosby, he's always been a sneaky dirty player. Like, he does that kind of crap all the time. But the league and broadcasters always look the other way because he's Crosby.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Well, I've officially rounded the bend past indifference and firmly back in anger territory. This team, I swear.

I was going to make a joke about how they're going to run off a 9 game winning streak to close out the season and get bumped in the lottery positioning...Then I checked the standings and realized it wouldn't matter.

So look on the bright side, for once this season they managed to not blow it at the end.

Hah, yeah no, the Avs have that shit on lock.

• Options
    Dranyth wrote: »

I was going to make a joke about how they're going to run off a 9 game winning streak to close out the season and get bumped in the lottery positioning...Then I checked the standings and realized it wouldn't matter.

So look on the bright side, for once this season they managed to not blow it at the end.

the best part is that they're tanking harder than anyone has ever tanked before in the year where the draft is the shittiest in a long time. Scouts are saying the top guy would go 3-4 most years and it just goes downhill from there.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I'm glad you've all come around to Detroit fans from a decade ago's perspective on Crosby. :P

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

the best part is that they're tanking harder than anyone has ever tanked before in the year where the draft is the shittiest in a long time. Scouts are saying the top guy would go 3-4 most years and it just goes downhill from there.

I mean, they're not tanking, they're just really fucking bad.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Especially with the potential to drop as low as 4th overall, which is absolutely going to happen.

• Options
    The Oilers are going to the playoffs for the first time since 2006 I don't know how to feel.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I'm digging out my car flag from 2006

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    I went to the first game after the lockout. I still have the towel and plastic stanley cup statue everyone got. Those are both coming out.

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    The Oilers are going to the playoffs for the first time since 2006 I don't know how to feel.

First round exit in four

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Red Wings playoff streak is over

hqdefault.jpg

Not really that shocking though

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular

I wonder how Taylor Hall feels...

• Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Red Wings playoff streak is over

[i mg]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/z4Joa8sxUjo/hqdefault.jpg[/img]

Not really that shocking though

I'd also like to point out that the last time the Red Wings missed the playoffs, the Oilers won the Stanley Cup. Just sayin'

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yeah, but the oilers are never going to win the cup ever again and nobody likes them anyway.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular

I wonder how Taylor Hall feels...

I imagine it went something like this.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    No Detroit, no NJ in the playoffs. Edmonton made it, Toronto most likely will as well. Feels weird!

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Jayricho on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Magell wrote: »

The last time the Red Wings didn't make the playoffs the internet didn't exist.

And the Soviet Union did.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Oh, neat.

The next longest current playoff streak in the NHL is the Pens, at 10

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Oh, neat.

The next longest current playoff streak in the NHL is the Pens, at 10

actually 11 when you count this year.

• Options
    Yes.

• Options
    No Olympics.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    No Olympics.

....with NHL players (except for maybe Ovechkin?).

There will still be an Olympics and they will still play hockey at it.

• Options
    No Olympics.

If NHL players aren't going USA and Canada are gonna get wrekt.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    No Olympics.

If NHL players aren't going USA gonna get wrekt.

So

No change?

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Fucking NHL, Fucking betman.

This doesn't mean all pro's right, just NHL signed players?
    I think USA & Canada will do alright.

What happens when an NHL player says Fuck you, I'm playing?
    Think anyone's going to do shit if Crosby puts the leaf on?

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Ovechkin's already said he's going and the Caps owner has said he'll allow it.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Leafs can clinch a playoff spot tonight.

Holy shit...

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Fucking NHL, Fucking betman.

This doesn't mean all pro's right, just NHL signed players?
    I think USA & Canada will do alright.

What happens when an NHL player says Fuck you, I'm playing?
    Think anyone's going to do shit if Crosby puts the leaf on?

The NHL is only part of this. First, let me say that I absolutely think the NHL should have gone. Full stop. They needed to go.

HOWEVER. The IOC needs to be told to goose off. They basically don't acknowledge the NHL at all. The NHL literally shuts its season down for almost 3 weeks for the olympics and the NHL isn't even allowed to put a picture of the olympic rings on it's website, or sell a team jersey, or pretty much acknowledge at all that it is at the olympics.

The NHL, rightly, in my opinion, asked to be treated like a corporate sponsor, meaning they could use the olympic branding, put highlights on its website, and again, acknowledge in a "legal" way that they are actually sending their players there. I don't think it's unreasonable, but the IOC is a piece of garbage corrupt organization that thinks it is the god of sport.

If the NHL actually standing up to the IOC means that this will be resolved for 2022, while i'm pissed off, I think I might be able to live with it.

Are the owners greedy? Yes. Is this bad for Hockey as a sport? Absolutely. But after sleeping on it I really do think there still is a chance of longer term good to come from it.

• Options
    Honestly, fuck the IOC.

• Options
    I don't harbour any love for the IOC and this whole shitshow over money tarnishes the sport.

I personally know people who only got into hockey in 2010 or 2014 because of Olympic competition. It's one of the biggest stages in the world to showcase the best your sport offers.

I'm just frustrated as a lover of hockey.

Once every 4 years to show a couple billion people your game has more value than slapping the rings on your Timmie's ad Ffs.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I don't harbour any love for the IOC and this whole shitshow over money tarnishes the sport.

I personally know people who only got into hockey in 2010 or 2014 because of Olympic competition. It's one of the biggest stages in the world to showcase the best your sport offers.

I'm just frustrated as a lover of hockey.

Once every 4 years to show a couple billion people your game has more value than slapping the rings on your Timmie's ad Ffs.

No it doesn't, because the NHL is denied anyway to link Olympic hockey to being 'their' game.

Suppose a bunch of Koreans get really into hockey because of the Olympics. What points them towards the NHL at all? Yes it has the best teams, but it's not like the NHL will get mentioned anywhere, and the KHL has a better match as far as time-zones go.

I mean yeah the teams would love to make some money selling rings+player T shirts and stuff, but the bigger issue isn't getting to put the olympics onto NHL stuff. It's to get NHL stuff into the Olympics. Get the shield, or the team logos onto stuff players are wearing during the games, doing interviews, etc.

Why should Coca Cola or Nike get to slap its logo all over olympics everything, but the NHL who shuts down its season for 3 weeks, loans dozens of athletes to the IOC to make money off of, risking injury to its biggest stars get nothing.

IOC is basically trying to do the logo design contest for "exposure" scam.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Yup. From the perspective of a professional league the IOC is a corrupt organization trying to extort money from them. I don't blame them for doing this.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Do any other sports present in the Olympics get to advertise their teams/leagues?

Edit: just so we're clear, I get the why's of the decision. Understanding why assholes act like assholes doesn't mean that it's A OK and we shouldn't comment.

A corporation punishing it's fans because they couldn't get some more money is perfectly legal and understandable. If that's what we're going to hang our hat on though it also extends to lockouts, crap contracts and just general extortion because "hey, owners/NHL gotta make a buck"

Aridhol on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Do any other sports present in the Olympics get to advertise their teams/leagues?

No, and keeping it that way, especially regarding the NBA, is why the the IOC won't budge.

Hockey and Basketball are the two sports where basically the entirety of national teams get selected out of a single professional league-until you get to countries where there aren't enough league players to fill the roster, or you're Russian so you take a bunch of sub-par KHLers for pride reasons. And hockey is the only one where it occurs during the league season.

Olympic soccer is weird, because of it being a U-23 tournament. So most the big name stars can't play anyhow.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    The IOC is a corrupt organization trying to extort money.

Fixed.