As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] Step one put paint on miniature, Step two finished

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Are you following the FW scheme? I didn't realize their's was so shiny.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Yeah I more or less followed the FW scheme. This is the one I had in my head before I emailed them and it looks like the Word Bearers artwork from the Heresy books which is what I was going for. Tamiya clear red dries super glossy. It will not be so shiny once it get a coat of matt varnish.

Shame I'm probably not doing any more Word Bearers.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Ugh, so apparently the custom insert I bought for Imperial Assault doesn't actually fit General Weiss once he's assembled. He can fit if I pop the gun-arms off though. Any hints or suggestions for how to treat a model differently if you're going to be removing pieces from it all the time - any considerations for priming/painting/sealing/anything else?

Fry on
  • Options
    McGibs wrote: »
    Finished all the heroes from my imperial assault! The models are pretty mushy, but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. It was nice to paint unique one-off models, instead of massive squads of things for a change.
    What do you mean by "mushy"?

(Yours look pretty sweet)

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    I finished painting the base colors on my first three Reaver Jetbikes but need to do the washes still; so no pictures yet.

Just for fun, though, I did a thing... I absolutely hate the Grotesque models. I'm sick of the "big, bulky dude as hideous monster" thing. I've got an idea for a second Grotesque too; so I just need to figure out what to do for a third.
    yca9cmwmcg2s.jpgu2j7hjw3aele.jpg

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I love how pretty much all the DE kits have interchangeable parts :p

Meanwhile, I've painted a couple of Vostroyans... ok maybe more like 30.
    T3yRhvN.jpg

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Vostroyans are the one IG regiment I love with all my heart

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I miss the Armageddon Steel Legion...

Wish they'd brought them out in plastics/finecast

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    More Knight! I decided I wanted to magnetize the different weapons options!

Crusader:
    IMG_2869_zps6myeozyq.jpg

Gallant:
    IMG_2881_zpszxttgufb.jpg

IMG_2884_zps5ryrpvy5.jpg

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Heresy is occuring. Or rather anti Heresy. Death to the traitors! XIX!

IMG_2895.jpg
    IMG_2894.jpg
    IMG_2893.jpg
    IMG_2892.jpg
    IMG_2891.jpg
    IMG_2890.jpg

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    RAVEN GORD!

• Options
    Cataphractii terminator armour is the epitome of Raven Guard Tactical Doctrine. So mobile, such stealth.

• Options
    raven gord did not receive the stealth memo

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    To be fair, if they're teleporting in, you can't get a better hiding place than not even being on the same planet.

• Options
    Just need to add in a bit of blue osl somewhere.
    Bright glowing blue, the stealth colour!

• Options
    I could redo the sword to a nice glowy blue with gratuitous OSL I have NFI what's going on with it right now. I did it tarnished bronze for something different, then glazed red ink over it because I was bored.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Okay, i need some advice.

I'm painting the Phoenix from Kingdom Death Monster.

i wanted to go with a very black color scheme, kind of like this one:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/2769116/vinsssounet

So i started with a black primer. I used a spray can cause i dont have an airbrush, and it came out nice, but even with a flat paint, it was a bit shiney, so i took some ultra flat grey spray paint and gave the wings a very light spray, which gave it a nice non-uniform dark greyish to black. I'm pretty happy with the wings, but my issue is with the front chest. its still a bit too shiny and I dont want to spray it if i can avoid it. Using a brush, how can i give it a very very slight faded, maybe aged look with just a slight grey overtone?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Do you mean shiny as in the painting looks like shiny material or is the surface just shiny/glossy?

• Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Asher wrote: »
    I could redo the sword to a nice glowy blue with gratuitous OSL I have NFI what's going on with it right now. I did it tarnished bronze for something different, then glazed red ink over it because I was bored.

That sword is amazing, don't change a thing. I love it.

Even though raven guard have a nominally "black" scheme, you can do soooooo much with weathering to bring out the character.

As much as I am going to fully enjoy painting night lords, you [edit] can't* quite do as much with weathering which such a saturated color scheme.

Woozl on
  • Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    I see your shiny red Imperial and raise you one shiny red guy who super hates the Emperor.

Tmmw4upm.jpg

Did you have to thin the tamiya at all? If so, with what? The guy who did these minis is Matt Kane, and on Facebook he indicated that this and the auto air transparent blue I'm using for the Night Lords are both super runny and given to pool.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I did that guy with a brush and thinned with water. If I had used an airbrush I would have used vallejo airbrush thinner probably.

I used a similar technique with the Alpha Legion test marine I did (painting silver then transparent paint over it) but used an airbrush. I was at a Michael's with my girlfriend and I stumbled into some Testor's Aztek airbrush paints. They had transparents and they clean up with water and require no thinning. This is blue and green:

YiXaLlRm.jpg

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Do you mean shiny as in the painting looks like shiny material or is the surface just shiny/glossy?

I mean the chest of the phoenix is pretty smooth, so the primer being very black is well...too black. its not like it has a satin finish, it just looks unnaturally black. I need to tone it down a bit.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Did some more work on the Alpha Legion test model. I keep jumping between loving it and hating it. It's really hard to get a good photo because of the shiny and iridescent qualities of the armor.

ibvjY6Wm.jpg

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    That's making me want to go back and make all my CSM dudes shiny and purple.

• Options
    I think the accessories/weapons/base will make or break that scheme, Keen.
    It's looking pretty sweet now though.

• Options
    I'm hoping that decals will help. Some white accents will do a lot of good I think.

• Options
    CreganTurCreganTur Registered User regular
    Got a bit more done, but the holidays took a lot of my time and attention so it's not as much as some might expect.

Most of my effort has gone into the second story of the shop. I had bee considering a number of different things I could do with it but settled on this.

mtsHi7F.jpg

There are a couple of display tables with different goods on them. I needed something to have a selection of containers since the miniature going here is clutching a potion. I decided on adding the carpet because the wood sculpting had some issues that I didn't feel like fixing. Used a rubber stamp on some green stuff to get the design and glued it in place.

RwBxE2C.jpg

Originally I thought about using the altar from one of the Bones kickstarters as a display table, but it was way too tall. I thought about cutting it down and reconfiguring it to make it the size I wanted, but realized that it would be far easier to just make my own... so I did that.

The runes I sculpted into the stonework are from the old Confrontation game's Worgen information, along with a few I came up with on the fly because they looked good. The display box is holding one of the inserrts from Rackham's treasure chest set which have a bunch of different inserts you can use. This one has a bunch of crafting tools. The containers are from Bones 2. At some point I'm going to make a little placcard to go with the altar which will read: "Evil Altar cleansed by Paladin Darius. NOT FOR SALE" - this is a nod to one of my friend's favorite characters that he played in a Pathfinder game I ran a couple years ago.

The weapons display table was also sculpted from scratch (sculpey) and I used weapons from one of Reaper's accessory packs.

4iEXObc.jpg

Started sculptign the costume on the zombie who will be playing the part of 'Store Patron who had the piss scared out of my by the monster stepping through the wall.'

The boots are in a horrible state at the moment. I've got a bit more cleanup to do on his clothes, but he's close to finished.

JVNGSCm.jpg

For the main base I've also started roughing in the riverbed.

XPihriX.jpg

On the original Khanjira base there's something that looks like a shattered well or the like. I decided to have a treasure hidden inside that was revealed by the monster.

589S7DB.jpg

There's also a skeleton in the mud- evidence of battles long past.

I plan to add a lot more detail to the riverbed. I want a good assortment of junk, rocks, and sand to also be mixed in with the mud. There will also be some plant life and, hopefully, some fish. Findng the right kind of fish miniatures in the scale I want has been difficult.

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    You may have to just sculpt tiny fish.

The other details you've done with green stuff have been quite astonishingly good! I can't wait to see this thing painted.

Edit: After a quick search there seems to be people on Etsy who specialize in making tiny polymer-clay animals. You could likely talk to them if you don't think you could do them. Here is one example Tiny Fish

Koreg on
    If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    CreganTurCreganTur Registered User regular
    @koreg - yeah... but that goes against my personal creed to pretend that etsy doesn't exist.

(I don't actually have anything against etsy - just said for the hahas)

In the long run I don't think I'll find what I want anywhere. Sculpting them won't be too hard and I've got enough silicone and resin to cast more than enough fish.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    azith28 wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »

I mean the chest of the phoenix is pretty smooth, so the primer being very black is well...too black. its not like it has a satin finish, it just looks unnaturally black. I need to tone it down a bit.

You could try using som different shades of dark grays and a medium sized soft brush and paint a bunch of short to medium lenght strokes on the chest with brighter shades focused on the parts you want to highlight.

like this shitty MSpaint sketch:
    muspjmuv40lg.png

edit:
    For anyone interested, GW started an advent calendar with little painting tutorials. Judging by the first entry it'll be very basic.

https://youtu.be/uFsFy0n8H-4

honovere on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    You know, you'd think they could've found a picture of a White Scar for their "painting a White Scar" tutorial….

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    It doesn't look white. It looks grey.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I might've gotten better results on my IA stormtroopers if I had followed a similar method to that video...

• Options

It looks like 3 step, tabletop-quality white. Which is exactly what they're going for. Layering up to pure white isn't really in GW's MO because then what would you edge highlight with?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

It looks like 3 step, tabletop-quality white. Which is exactly what they're going for. Layering up to pure white isn't really in GW's MO because then what would you edge highlight with?

Transparent fluorescent blue!
    But yeah.
    Be nice if the had a colour between Ulthuan Grey and White Scar though.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Meanwhile, in a different, distinctly not-white universe...

IbQkTHM.jpg

Sorry if I'm spamming my work lately, I've been finishing lots of unfinished projects and I feel like I'm getting slightly better with each one, so I might be a bit over-enthusiastic.
    I'm also running out of latin words for the inscriptions...

Mayday on
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Please keep spamming your work! (Not that I even consider it spamming)

• Options
    You can spam blades like those as much as you want, IMO

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    holy moly

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    Dem swords

This discussion has been closed.