Options

[Painting Miniatures] Step one put paint on miniature, Step two finished

DayspringDayspring the PhoenicianRegistered User regular
This is the miniature painting thread!
Here's where we post pictures of our projects as well as ask and answer questions about paint, glue, airbrushes, and all that good stuff.

Most of the pictures are from 40k, Warmachine, Infinity etc but we have also had various model kits. Everyone is welcome!

Here are a selection of pics grabbed from the end of the last thread, all painted by our very own talented and sexy posters.

20141004_154527.jpg
WS2uDsW.jpg
2ypil7l7w0fj.jpg
YR5lrdl.jpg
vDspEF9.jpg
KoEiFTV.jpg
IMG_1542.JPG
IMG_20150422_175011535.jpg
IEcjwZV.jpg
Ironclad1.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    @J nah, found in on the net. My jaw dropped though.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Yay! I made the OP! Cue that warm, fuzzy feeling.

More on topic, here's a weird question: I'm going to be painting some BattleTech figs in Oosiks colors, which by fiat are the colors used in the Penny Arcade logo. Anyone have any suggestions for specific paints that'll best match those colors (orange and blue)? I don't feel like I have the right colors on hand, so I'll have to order them, so any color(s) from any product line(s) is/are acceptable. Bonus points for suggestions on highlight colors and washes!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I don't think I've ever posted an image in here. Probably because the lighting in my apartment is terrible.

Anyways, here's Machaon:

pYYfGGym.jpg

admanb on
  • Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    Pretty good rendition of white for terrible apartment lighting.

Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    And looking at that I just realized I completely forgot to do any highlighting on the black part of his shoes. Sonuvab--

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    You should definitely be posting more.

• Options
    I have a whole bunch of painted Malifaux Ressers and a decent amount of Infinity that I'll try to take pictures of. I think I'll put it up in chronological order with a kind of "look how a terrible painter turned into a mediocre painter in five easy steps" narrative.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Haha I'm one of the worst painters and I'm at the top of the OP, suck it @J.

But seriously, can we kill @J and devour his flesh to gain his powers?

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    It speaks to my lack of work that I've got nothing in there. Hrmmm ... how to rapidly make progress.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I've never been the OP either.

The OP is for bads who should feel bad.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    All Hail the OP!

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    I made it into the OP! And right below @J all of people!

I attribute my great success to following my three step painting plan. 1) Paint on models 2) Finished 3) Profit...???

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    I'm at the point where I'm not interested in getting better at painting so much as faster *glares at backlog*

Any suggestions for going fast while keeping a good quality?

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Accualt wrote: »
    I'm at the point where I'm not interested in getting better at painting so much as faster *glares at backlog*

Any suggestions for going fast while keeping a good quality?

That was one of my priorities when I started painting Infinity again -- the sculpts are beautiful, but they're so tiny, detailed, and uniform in scheme (since they're conventional/uniformed militaries) that I don't usually find them satisfying to put a lot of effort into. Machaon was an exception to that as I love that sculpt, but generally I'm trying to go fast.

My rules are (1) Limit your palette. If a model has a bunch of packs and bags you'll be tempted to paint one red, another leather, and so on. Don't do that -- you spend way too much time fixing some slips, switching paints, etc. Pick three or four main colors and stick with those. (2) Have a very simple scheme for all of your colors. Three steps, max. (3) Use some kind of basecoat or undercoat that provides a "I don't have to paint this" out for nooks and crannies, undersides, and so on.

So for my Aleph, (1) is white, black (which doubles as black clothes and weapons) iron, and brown. Obviously faces are a special case. (2) The white is just Menoth Highlight over a Vallejo cream, occasionally with some light brown shading. Black is just chaos black with a coat of very dark blue over it and grey line highlights. Metal is nuln oiled then highlighted with itself. Brown gets a tan highlight. (3) Everything gets washed pink over a white undercoat. Because Aleph are weird and for some reason their bodies glow pink. For "normal" models you'd probably want your undercoat to be an off-black of some variety.

Just having a scheme where all the colors go smoothly over your your primer or undercoat color will make a huge difference. The brightness of Aleph's palette means I get to paint cream white over white which is SO EASY. And black over white is way easier than white over black, I have learned.

admanb on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Learn to love washes. A simple base/wash/layer/highlight looks absolutely fine on the table. And looking good on the table is pretty much what you get when painting faster. That's another thing to learn to accept - it's probably not going to hold up to close scrutiny, so just be prepared for stuff that looks good on the table, but up close you're going to spot bits you could have done better, and simply leave it and move on.

That's where I find most of my time lost when painting. Seeing little mistakes that take me a long time to fix, but wouldn't be seen unless the model is close up.

• Options
    LubonyLubony Registered User regular
    i havent even reached a level were i can paint above table top, but my painting is moving faster nowadays, i pounded 10 reasonable looking groteques out in no time using the base, wash, Detail method.

No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
  • Options
    BizaroPrimeBizaroPrime Registered User regular
    Been a while since I've posted anything. Real life has been pushing painting to the side a bit, but here is a dump of what I've been finished up lately. All of these are models for Wild West Exodus and are commission projects for a couple friends.

IMG_20150413_094507.jpg
    IMG_20150408_142026.jpg
    IMG_20150408_142033.jpg
    IMG_20150408_142101.jpg
    IMG_20150412_121432.jpg
    IMG_20150412_121440.jpg
    IMG_20150412_121451.jpg
    IMG_20150412_121500.jpg
    IMG_20150419_153829.jpg
    IMG_20150419_153855.jpg
    IMG_20150426_221945.jpg
    IMG_20150427_003200.jpg

3DS Friend Code: 0619-3666-8604
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular

I'd really prefer if you didn't :(

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Your refusal is clear admission that this is how we may gain your powers.

Prepare your body for my mouth, J.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Prepare your body for my mouth, J.

We're worshipping Slaanesh today, apparently.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    What do you mean... today?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    J wrote: »

I'd really prefer if you didn't :(

Hey now, there's no need to kill anyone; livers regenerate after all….

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I nominate the title of this thread be changed to:
    [Painting Miniatures] Apparently this is actually about cannibalism now

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Some of you may remember from the old thread, that I planned to make objective markers based on the first 6 Space Marine legions. Well, I did. They've been finished for a month now, but a combination of lack of time, vacation and general laziness has meant that I hadn't taken any pictures until now.

So, here they are.

91d1ee89-6bab-46e3-b5e9-f22900757572_zpswxb090io.jpg
    Legio I, Dark Angels (unmodified DV)

bed132ac-b1f7-401f-9a45-ca265f810521_zpst9wvxz9g.jpg
    Legio II, [Redacted] (cut from a spare pair of SM legs)

aad0528d-6e98-4597-be84-1ec721a85dd0_zpsagv3tsek.jpg
    Legio III, Emperor's Children (FW Palatine Blade + SM champion backpack + FW MK II shoulders + CSM arms/weapons)

b0f19e92-660b-4233-ac1c-14d9a9edf40f_zpsbmxzmn2j.jpg
    Legio IV, Iron Warriors (FW MK II legs shoulders and packpack, IW upgrade torso, CSM arms/weapons)

4270f3dc-28c2-4374-9d0a-229f9da2f179_zpsxz1k84kr.jpg
    Legio V, White Scars (SM bike, WoC shield, SW head and tassels, plasticard embossed shoulder emblem and force lance)

db941ea8-dca5-4407-a229-d0793faf2249_zpsvvbmfmxd.jpg
    Legio VI, Space Wolves (stock wolfinator w/green stuff cape (the model (from eBay) had a CSM shoulder for some reason that needed to be covered))

The plinths are plaster, bought cast but not assembled off of eBay. I did not manage to assemble them better than I did. The plaques I made from plasticard.

I decided to have the statues in verdigris rather than bronze, since I find verdigris a really aesthetically pleasing color, and the statues are supposed to have been standing outside since the Heresy.

Technique is the same for all of them: Plinth in 2 layers of Ulthuan Grey, statue (and plaque) in 2 layers of Army Painter Bronze and 2 layers of Nihilakh Oxide, cork in VMC German Field Grey drybrushed which cheap craft light grey, and the whole thing (except cork) covered in Army Painter Soft Tone applied with a brush.

When I first assembled the Legio II statue, I couldn't help but think of this poem:
    "Ozymandias", by Percy Shelley

I met a traveller from an antique land
    Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away."

Overall, I am happy with how they turned out, but the plinths could have been better.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Alright, here we go.

Painting Era #1

Y5rljo8l.jpg

This era of painting was a few years ago. It's not the first model I painted -- that was some Warmachine Cygnar I did a couple years before this, but the first one in this period of painting. This was also the first one where I was actually paying attention to color (my Cygnar were just the studio scheme but palette swapped to green) but the overly-blue gun and the random purple bits suggest I still didn't understand anything about it.

38XfYXTl.jpg

Model #2. Not much better. I was pretty pleased with the shading and highlighting on the ruffled shirt.

StoOUQPl.jpg

Myrmidons! And I figured out how to paint non-cartoon black! This picture has a special secret: two of these models I painted in about 5 hours each back during the first era, one of them was painted in under half that a few weeks ago. Guess which is the newer one.

0zJ9MHtl.jpg

Netrods. After taking waaaay too long on these I got tired of painting and stopped.

• Options
    Painting Era #2

G58jWiZl.jpg

This era started about a year ago and these were the first models I painted after coming back. Note that I've gone back to the cartoonish black, but it works way better for Malifaux than it did for Infinity so I stick with it.

I had no idea how I was going to paint dead skin when I did these so they're kind of just a mess.

U7z0xWHl.jpg

Next model after the belles. Look at that goddamn whip. I still didn't know how to paint the flesh, but I was starting to feel good about my normal highlighting.

rNALNghl.jpg

Mini-Seamus! Look at all those hats! Kind of wish I had gotten a better picture of the highlighting on the hats as it was pretty epic. This is also the first time I painted a face and wasn't immediately disappointed+confused. It turns out faces are really easy if you just pick three colors and then layer from the shade up. Before I was trying to do basecoat>shade and that doesn't work.

JBWbRTml.jpg

Dead skin that doesn't suck! I started doing two-brush blending with glazes of blue and green and and it looked good, so I pretty much stick with that going forward. The downside is that I based the whole thing off of one huge mistake: basecoating Ryn Flesh over a black undercoat. That takes forever and is awful.

Note the NMM on the swords. It's okay. I did NMM because I don't like how metallics look on Malifaux models (too bright and shiny) but it was definitely... ambitious.

TqgBIOQl.jpg

Daddy Seamus. Lots of smaller bits of NMM to practice on. I'll need this practice, soon.

OthePYkl.jpg

Yup this is when I felt bad about my decision to do NMM. I was terrified of painting that leg. It turned out pretty okay though! Nicodem is one of my favorite sculpts in a miniature game so I put a ton of effort into blending that cloak. Thus you get...

ZtrUGibl.jpg

This back shot of all that blending.

H0qcjPhl.jpg

I feel like this guy looks way better than I deserve. All that blue, green, and red is just messily two-brush blended over Ryn Flesh. It should look like a hot mess but instead it looks pretty okay! Also, even more NMM what was I thinking.

g2piSYXl.jpg

I don't really care for this sculpt but he's a super important piece for Nicodem so I wanted him painted, but it took forever. The coat has some weird color choices but it worked out. Also, I really like this creepy-ass face:

3ejaceBl.jpg

F8VSYtOl.jpg

Sexy nurses are way overdone but I love this sculpt. This was my first attempt at totally-living not-creepy skin and it worked surprisingly well. Also, I got more practice painting that off-white which I needed for...

7EyczXol.jpg

McMourning! I'm really proud of this paint job. It's such a simple model and it took forever to give his coat the depth I wanted it to have, but it totally worked. Also look at that crazy-ass face.

zg6xrxdl.jpg

Bonus picture of his lovingly-detailed butt.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Painting Era #3

After finishing McMourning I started on another flesh golem and some other large models and burnt out a bit, so I took a break. I want to go back to them, but before I got motivated we got back into Infinity and I decided to paint some of that up! My goal this time was to get things painted much quicker

4J6FWyEl.jpg

First go at the quick painting. These look almost as good as the grunts I painted in triple the time years ago, so I'm happy with them.

cp1cqkrl.jpg

Under two hours each. Nothing much else to say.

nZl3dYPl.jpg

And a better lit and less in-focus Machaon!

Next on the docket is a Naga, after that it'll be more character Myrmidons and some robots. My hope is that I'll stay motivated long enough to get nearly the whole army painted (I own most of the faction) including the Marut, and then maybe stick with it and get back into painting Malifaux (could be easy if Molly comes out in time). But we'll see.

admanb on
  • Options
    SneakypersonSneakyperson Registered User regular
    these death korps of krieg squad advancing are the worst models i have ever tried to put together

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    Thanks @admanb and @-Loki- I will try those tips. It is hard for me to declare a model finished, I always find something else I could improve...I need to learn to walk away.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Machaon...!
    I love that mini.
    Great posts, I love walking through painter's pasts like that

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    If anyone will be attending ReaperCon this year, keep an eye out for Heffling! I will be leaving Thursday and am super looking forward to the classes.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Accualt wrote: »
    It is hard for me to declare a model finished, I always find something else I could improve...I need to learn to walk away.

This really is the biggest part of painting faster. If you keep finding faults and going back to fix them, you'll never speed up your painting.

Painting fast is about learning to accept that you probably won't always be happy with that you consider 'finished'.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    The thread title is a beautiful dream.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Thread title not guarenteed to produce desired results. Please consult your local paint thread for more information.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2015
    So I have a Ludwig and Sturmkönig from Dust Tactics on my desk.

I swear I only got them because they were 50% off and I wanted to try painting camo patterns and they're cool damnit.

Echo on
  • Options
    02XvgBsl.jpg

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Those are pretty cool, but all I see is, "please rip my arms off to convert into dread autocannons"

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    The Sturmkönig's Flak Vierling is like twice as long as a dread is tall.

*measures* 16.5 cm, or 6.some inches.

The Ludwig's guns are a mere 4 inches.

• Options
    A Carnifex for scale.

TUYS2j9l.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2015
    They're a bit annoying if you want to paint them though - they're pre-assembled into four chunks - lower body, upper body and weapons, and the Luther's legs are glued to the base.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.