As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Architecture, Landscape Design, and Interior Design!

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    There are a bunch of neat design ideas in there but none seems unifying whatsoever, Jeezy creezy

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It looks like the building version of those ai generators for motivational posters and romance novel titles. This generator has been fed with random assortments of shapes and textures.

I wouldn't call it a McMansion though. Much too expensive and idiosyncratic.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    It looks like the building version of those ai generators for motivational posters and romance novel titles. This generator has been fed with random assortments of shapes and textures.

I wouldn't call it a McMansion though. Much too expensive and idiosyncratic.

McMansion doesn't necessarily mean cookie-cutter design, it's more about vinyl siding, painted foam "stone", and mis-matched and poorly implemented design features, which this house has by the metric fucktonne.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    It looks like hot garbage

are those wall mounted exterior floods on the hearth pointed at the floor?!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    What that house in particular really needs though is more lights. 37 lights per room just isn't enough!

I'm pretty sure the folks at the county powerplant can tell when the owners get home by the sudden spike in draw on the grid...

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    That looks like a lovely cult compound.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I can just imagine the power bill in some of these places just to heat or cool them too. Easily $600 a month.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I can just imagine the power bill in some of these places just to heat or cool them too. Easily $600 a month.

And the builder probably cut corners like crazy so the insulation is probably crap too.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    That looks like a lovely cult compound.

Seat of the Many-Angled Ones

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    The most depressing thing about that super villain compound

the asking price is the same as the asking price of a 3 bed 1 bath half of a duplex from the 60's in suburban Vancouver.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    That staircase is horribly unusable and has terrible sightlines. And the solid white with the ridiculous over-textured features is garbage.

The designer was bad and should feel bad.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I've got a soft spot for the Eclectic school of architectural design

it's just a shame that the use of Neo-Eclecticism in the McMansions soured the classic style on contemporary architects

and now for something completely different:

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    How to Homeless in style

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I don't know, that looks extremely easy to rob while the guy is out.

• Options
    it's not the dude's home, and there's nothing of real value up there

he's a design student and it's a project

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Satoshi Ohashi, Beijing skycraper under construction

%C2%A9ZahaHadidArchitects_Satoshi_Ohashi_(2).jpg?1502251470

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Inception sequel is coming along nicely.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Satoshi Ohashi, Beijing skycraper under construction

%C2%A9ZahaHadidArchitects_Satoshi_Ohashi_(2).jpg?1502251470

slightly later that day:

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I read about that building the other day! When it's finished it's going to be the largest atrium in the world!

• Options
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I wonder if that's better for traffic flow... I know grid intersections tend to cause a lot of traffic jams.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Man I like to think I live on a pretty good grid

But that just blows it out of the water, holy shit

Straightzi on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You'd have to use it in conjunction with good zoning laws and planning too.

Probably can get around most of it by having a well maintained and properly designed subway system?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

The question is if it'S also good urban planning besides making for a pretty arial view.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

The question is if it'S also good urban planning besides making for a pretty arial view.

My thoughts exactly, I'm always sceptical of a grid pattern I gotta say - just cause its so different to home.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've lived in grid cities where it works and cities where it fails utterly and honestly it mostly comes down to zoning and traffic control. Very hard to tell just by looking.

That said, personally I like some variation in my city blocks and road angles, largely because I have no sense of direction.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    As someone with a really good sense of direction, I like grid cities because I can keep everything charted out in my mind perfectly

Someone can give me an address in Chicago, and a good 70% of the time I know how far away it is and how to get there

• Options
    edited August 2017
    I can keep a pretty good map in my head, I always know where things are relative to each other. But I tend to do local navigation, particularly of unfamiliar places, largely by landmarks and vectors, so I find having streets that all intersect at the same angle throws me off.
    Especially if subways are involved, because I can't do north/south etc at all, so when I emerge into the daylight it takes me a bit to get my bearings.

edit: I will say that grid cities are fantastic as a tourist, because you can zigzag your way in the generally correct direction and you'll probably make it eventually.

tynic on
  • Options
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Oh how lovely to have that on show again!

tumblr_ovelbulhqk1w5co06o1_1280.jpg

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    For exhibitionists who like boning in 120 degree heat

• Options
    Hi, yes? You called?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I wanna lay in that thing in the early evening in fall in the middle of a sudden rainstorm.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    For exhibitionists who like boning in 120 degree heat

Even that is not too bad, its the 100% humidity that is really going to get you. Need a small solar powered dehumidifier.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I just keep picturing a bear waiting patiently outside that thing for dinner to emerge

Al_wat on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Hi, yes? You called?

tfw someone replies to your "joke" craigslist ad

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Normal looking House on the outside, but the entire interior space is a dense forest of vegetation with that solely illuminated in the center

Could work

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    I'll take one of these instead, thanks

70e4f3a3ede67a9b6c37c7e65a415570--lapland-finland-glasses.jpg

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Oh how lovely to have that on show again!

tumblr_ovelbulhqk1w5co06o1_1280.jpg
    I wonder how they managed to squeeze that mattress in