As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Credit Score Impact

WaterfallSandSunWaterfallSandSun Registered User regular
edited May 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
I have recently purchased a new car and the dealership applied for a car loan for me. (I have since learned that there are many other better ways to go about buying a car but that can be for a whole separate thread.) The interest rate is over 5%, so I would like to pay it off as soon as possible. With my current financial situation, I can pay it off in full within 1 year's time. I have then learned that with the car loan, my "age of credit history" has been greatly impacted (almost halved) with the new line of credit (car loan). I have "excellent" credit (upper 700's to near 800) and have a small amount of "credit factors" that impacts my credit negatively. So I would like to focus on this "credit factor" because I believe I can have control over it.

So my question would be, what would best heal this injury?

- If I pay it off in full ASAP, will it drop off as an impact factor from my "age of credit history" since it will no longer be "alive"?
- If not, then maybe I can pay it off and leave maybe several hundred $'s for the balance and pay like $10 a month just so the "age" of this line of credit can slowly grow, thus slowly heal my "age of credit history"?
- I don't know if the latter solution would work since the loan does not behave like a regular credit card because the next "payment due date" gets pushed over several months depending on how much you pay.

Thank you for your help and advice.

WaterfallSandSun on

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    First, the age of credit history is a small factor in the calculation of your credit score and you should not worry yourself about it because it has more to do with your age and stage of life than anything else.

Second, your minimum payment amount will not change if you pay off the majority of the loan early, so the strategy you've outlined doesn't actually work.

Finally, if your score is nearly 800 then you're well ahead of the game and honestly you should have qualified for a much better interest rate than you got. Dealerships routinely offer 0.00-1.9% apr with approved credit, which you most certainly would have with that score, assuming you had verifiable income to pay the loan.

Anyhow, the recommendation is to just pay off the loan as soon as possible. If you are worried about keeping some credit history on file then just get a nice rewards card and use it monthly while paying off the total balance every month before incurring any interest charges.

Also, if you are in the U.S. I teccoend making an account with Credit Karma to track your credit score and retrieve your credit reports easily so you can review them for inaccuracies.

Again, your credit score is fantastic though so you should be fine if you just pay everything on time.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    That doesn't sound like "age of credit" so much as it does your utilization percentage now being higher.

Age is about how long the history goes back. If the oldest record is a year old that's not much of a pattern. If you have an account with twenty years of on time payments then you've got a solid pattern that might convince people you're more trustworthy to loan money to.

Utilization is about how much of your available credit you're using. I might think you are a good candidate to loan a $10,000 dollars to with your credit score. Now when you ask me for another $10,000? Well I am less likely to think it's a good idea than before but maybe I still say yes. Then you ask for another $10,000? The more you owe everybody the more worried I am about getting repaid.

I'd pay down the auto loan as soon as you can and just get a credit card with no annual fee to keep an old account around. I use a target card since it's free and I occasionally go to target so it gets some activity on the account.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Also, if your credit is actually around 800 it really, really doesn't matter what the factors are.

I used to look at credit reports all day long. Every single report lists those factors. An 849 would list four different factors that are causing a "negative" impact.

They're just listing what separates you from the imaginary ideal.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Yeah as someone in the same boat, the stuff "affecting" your credit right now doesn't really matter. Your credit is basically an unstoppable juggernaut that can only be hurt at this point by not paying off debts in a timely manner.

I agree with davidsdurions and am kinda shocked that your car loan rate is so high.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    If it was something that was a longer term loan I might have suggested refinancing in a couple of years to get the interest down but given that you will have it paid off in a year I agree with the others that it would be best to just stick to paying it off like you are and in the future perhaps be a bit more insistent on getting a better deal on interest rates seeing as you have a great credit score. Don't be afraid to shop around either. My last car one dealership never even checked with a bank to see what I could get for an interest rate and told me I would have been paying over 5%. Went to another dealer who told me I could get below that with a bank and went back to the other guys who checked and confirmed that I could in fact get a lower interest rate. Never hurts to get a second opinion.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    some parts of your scenario do not add up

who told you your credit score was 800?

if your length of accounts was halved that means you only have two accounts, which means you probably wouldn't have an 800. also you'd have a better interest rate than 5% too

age of accounts is a factor in your score but it's nowhere near the most important factor, which is utilization, and utilization is not impacted by non-revolving debt such as car loans

before you start going hog wild about financial maneuvering, you may want to independently verify the particulars of your situation to see if you actually need to do anything. Don't trust sites like CreditKarma, they can be way off. Go get your actual report.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Jasconius wrote: »
    before you start going hog wild about financial maneuvering, you may want to independently verify the particulars of your situation to see if you actually need to do anything. Don't trust sites like CreditKarma, they can be way off. Go get your actual report.

Agree with the rest, but CreditKarma pulls their data from TransUnion, so it is an accurate representation of that source. If it is significantly different from what you see at Equifax or Experian, you need to dispute it with TU.

If you want to see all three, buy your score from myFICO.com or get your free government-mandated credit report from https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

a5ehren on
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

Agree with the rest, but CreditKarma pulls their data from TransUnion, so it is an accurate representation of that source. If it is significantly different from what you see at Equifax or Experian, you need to dispute it with TU.

If you want to see all three, buy your score from myFICO.com or get your free government-mandated credit report from https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

sry false. i have verified this. creditkarma creates an approximation of your score based on credit profile information obtained from TransUnion. TransUnion does not give them the number. TransUnion gives them the information to create a number. And it's not 100% complete information either.

I had a car dealership hand me the paper with the TransUnion number on it and took it to creditkarma and it was off by more than 60 points.

As far as I can tell, CK either does not receive closed account history, or they undervalue it.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Man, my credit rating sucks compare to yours (680ish) and I manage to get a better car loan then that.

What I learned about credit rating is that at the end of the day, it isn't going to make water taste better and air smell fresher. All it really does is give you more options when you want to sign away your soul. But if your credit rating is really at 800, then all you need to do is continue what you're doing because the only thing that can bring it down is delinquency on payments and/or bankruptcy.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

sry false. i have verified this. creditkarma creates an approximation of your score based on credit profile information obtained from TransUnion. TransUnion does not give them the number. TransUnion gives them the information to create a number. And it's not 100% complete information either.

I had a car dealership hand me the paper with the TransUnion number on it and took it to creditkarma and it was off by more than 60 points.

As far as I can tell, CK either does not receive closed account history, or they undervalue it.

That's possible. My CK score matches what I got with my re-fi last month, but I don't have a ton of closed accounts.

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Out of curiosity, how long ago was it that you had confirmed scores that were different in CreditKarma? I know they used to estimate things based on reports, etc, but the language at several places on their site now suggest that they are using scores directly provided by TransUnion (and Equifax as well now). Or if that's not the case, at the very least they are using a standardized model (VantageScore 3, created jointly by the 3 reporting agencies) to calculate those scores.

Specifically, after just now logging in, this is the sidepanel next to my scores:
    "About Your Credit Scores
    Calculated using the VantageScore 3.0 model, these scores range from 300 to 850. They're calculated by TransUnion and Equifax, respectively, so the scores may vary based on each credit report."

Though the VantageScore model is different from the FICO model, and apparently (I wasn't aware) there are lots of different models that even the same reporting agency may use to calculate a score, depending on the purpose of the inquiry, so even two scores actually from TransUnion on the same day may differ if they're for different purposes.

Daenris on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Closed on a cash-out refi in October last year. Before applying I had myfico give me a 3-score. Refi underwriter came back with scores that were 60-ish points lower for 2 of the CRA's. This wasn't unexpected at the time as 8 months earlier I asked some refi guys to pull my scores with the same result. What I'm saying is that if your rate and closing costs are critical to your decision, then do not trust any score you get other than from someone who will actually underwrite the loan. You should be able to pay your broker/agent to pull your credit scores for $35-ish without having to pony up for a rate-lock.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Just to be clear my recommendation to use credit karma (or similar product) was about tracking changes, which is something it does well. You can access two of the three credit reports directly from them at any time through credit karma.

Also, a credit report is different than a credit score, which can be wildly different based on purpose as Daenris pointed out above. Monitoring your reports gives you the chance to disputes errors or notice if someone has stopped reporting on something that you might want to either have just removed from the report if it's a closed account or to continue reporting if it is open so the report shows your, hopefully, clean credit.

• Options
    Daenris wrote: »

Out of curiosity, how long ago was it that you had confirmed scores that were different in CreditKarma? I know they used to estimate things based on reports, etc, but the language at several places on their site now suggest that they are using scores directly provided by TransUnion (and Equifax as well now). Or if that's not the case, at the very least they are using a standardized model (VantageScore 3, created jointly by the 3 reporting agencies) to calculate those scores.

Specifically, after just now logging in, this is the sidepanel next to my scores:
    "About Your Credit Scores
    Calculated using the VantageScore 3.0 model, these scores range from 300 to 850. They're calculated by TransUnion and Equifax, respectively, so the scores may vary based on each credit report."

Though the VantageScore model is different from the FICO model, and apparently (I wasn't aware) there are lots of different models that even the same reporting agency may use to calculate a score, depending on the purpose of the inquiry, so even two scores actually from TransUnion on the same day may differ if they're for different purposes.

23 months ago. And the difference between VantageScore and FICO is basically what I am talking about. Pretty sure that anything that matters is still using FICO

• Options
    WaterfallSandSunWaterfallSandSun Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    There seems to be some confusion for my original post. My curiosity towards my credit score has no relation to my loan's interest rate (I am confident I should be qualified for the best, if not, at least way better rates), I am sure they get some sort of commission from the rates, and I did not argue because I believed the total cost of the vehicle before interest was a good deal, and planned to pay it off within a year anyways. But as I said, this can be for an entirely separate thread.

I guess I will just continue to keep it simple and pay off the loan in its entirety ASAP for less headaches in the near future. Thank you for your responses and help.

WaterfallSandSun on