As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Weightlifting] thread where everyone is cool to each other

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Yay we're back! Re: your diet experiences @Jimmy Marku maybe you'll find something similar to me in that nearly all of your strength will come back after a day or two of refeeding, even after you've lost a bunch of weight.

Also I nominate strengtheory.com be added to the OP list

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Yay it's back!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    I pulled a deadlift 10 rep PB yesterday. I'm positive it's a PB because I don't think I've ever been dumb enough to attempt a 10RM before. It hurts.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Pretty sure a guy is going to accept the offer I put on a house on Friday, so come July I'm going to have my very own basement to lift in. I've figured out what I need to ditch my gym membership and my wife is totally on board.

I am so excited, it is impossible to describe.

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Yay we're back! Re: your diet experiences @Jimmy Marku maybe you'll find something similar to me in that nearly all of your strength will come back after a day or two of refeeding, even after you've lost a bunch of weight.

Also I nominate strengtheory.com be added to the OP list

That is reassuring. God I am so hungry.

Done.

TRB is too humble but it was 190kg (419lb) that he pulled yesterday for 10 (I did a shitty triple). A MACHINE.

Also I did 3xfail leg extensions and leg press and I wish I'd started doing these earlier.

• Options
    First article on strength theory about squats and hamstrings...mental masturbation

"You want stronger quads and glutes, and strong hamstrings, but not too soon"

Also sitting back is still mainly a good cue for geared low bar lifters. Not saying everybody can't benefit from sit back on heels, but when you're thinking "back back back back" it's for dude/dudettes in suits

Just in my humble opinion with a mild hangover and looking for things to take my mind off the spurs

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I saw a friend I ain't seen in a while and she was all
    When'd your arms get so jacked

Which is cool!!

I still feel Puny tho
    I am 140lbs

But persistence and consistency is key I suppose

I'll try to be better on the diet going forward... bout to have another iffy gym session since I drank a whole bottle of wine yest and some sangria

poo
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    I keep feeling kind of tired towards the end of my workout. Not like a puny weakman tired; more a sort of wooziness. Like I need some sugar or something.

I work out in the evenings during the week, and before lunchtime on weekends. I'm guessing I should be eating more in advance of a workout - but when? Right before? A bigger breakfast? Or a bigger dinner the night before?

• Options
    Maybe more food in general?

I honestly have been training fasted most mornings and it's fine, I fuel myself with coffee and take a little BCAAs also

poo
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    I haven't gotten a doorframe pullup bar yet, so I've just been doing negatives off of my barbell and stands (I pull the stands in as close as I can to protect the bar), and tucking my legs up since the bar is only at squat/press starting height. I haven't been able to do regular pullups with that setup yet, so that's why I'm still doing negatives.

Saturday was tee ball for my 5yo, and me and my wife were taking turns between watching him and keeping our 2yo amused at the nearby playground. While it was my turn to watch the little guy I noticed that the playground was pretty much empty, so I took the opportunity to see what I could do with the monkey bars.

Holy shit, guys, I can do pullups! Only a couple at a time, but I can do honest to god dead-hang pullups with my chin getting an inch or two over the bar. I think that may have been the first real pullup I've ever done in my entire life.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    I haven't gotten a doorframe pullup bar yet, so I've just been doing negatives off of my barbell and stands (I pull the stands in as close as I can to protect the bar), and tucking my legs up since the bar is only at squat/press starting height. I haven't been able to do regular pullups with that setup yet, so that's why I'm still doing negatives.

Saturday was tee ball for my 5yo, and me and my wife were taking turns between watching him and keeping our 2yo amused at the nearby playground. While it was my turn to watch the little guy I noticed that the playground was pretty much empty, so I took the opportunity to see what I could do with the monkey bars.

Holy shit, guys, I can do pullups! Only a couple at a time, but I can do honest to god dead-hang pullups with my chin getting an inch or two over the bar. I think that may have been the first real pullup I've ever done in my entire life.

Wings incoming.

• Options
    My squats felt shitty today, but at the end I did 9 or 10 x 315 for my back off set so that felt good

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    My lifts are going to shit after three solid weeks of 10x10. I went up to 165 lbs on bench and creaked out 84 reps, which is a big drop for only 5 pounds. I feel a deload week coming up.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'm sorry that this is a stupid question

Is 10x10 supposed to just blast the excess weight off your body? I'm doing 5x5 after three sets of five for a few years and it's already pretty intense; doing four times that many reps is a horrifying idea to me

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2015
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I'm sorry that this is a stupid question

Is 10x10 supposed to just blast the excess weight off your body? I'm doing 5x5 after three sets of five for a few years and it's already pretty intense; doing four times that many reps is a horrifying idea to me

It's actually for bulking, acting as a basically mindless max effort routine. Instead of drop sets and multiple exercises hitting a body part you just blast the shit out of it and leave. Usually the first 4 or 5 sets are cruise control, it's around set 6 that the trouble starts. The real trick is that you have to have the right timing, which I kinda suck with. I'm going to use the deload to try to get better at it, because the rest periods have been slowly getting longer as time has gone on (up to 2 minutes between sets today) and my timing turned from 4-0-2-0 to like, 2-0-1-0.

A duck! on
  • Options
    High rack pulls are so stupid but still so fun, I'm definitely going to start doing them more often. Pulled 465 for a single today after 405x5 and I should have kept going, in hindsight I could probably have gotten two or three at least.

• Options
    How high was it set?

When my back is fried, like today, I treat them like a clean pull from the rack. Benefit, triple extension and big shrug. I typically do them right above the knee.

• Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    All my lifts are now static and have been for weeks. I've never done a deload but I guess nows the time? Whats a good method?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Do your usual workouts and halve the volume.

• Options
    Depends. If you're following a program with set percentages, I usually drop 10-15% (maybe 20% if I'm just haggard as fuck) and reduce the volume by a couple sets the whole week.

Ordinarily if I really need a deload with no real strength objectives in mind, I just switch up everything and go pretty light and do some bodybuilding shit that keeps me in the weight room and gives me a chance to flex in the mirror more than I already do.

So, depends? Try to eat and sleep more whenever you do this, or get away from the gym entirely and go do some other physical activity you enjoy!

• Options
    How high was it set?

When my back is fried, like today, I treat them like a clean pull from the rack. Benefit, triple extension and big shrug. I typically do them right above the knee.

Right above the knee, like you said. With how long my arms are it's a super short ROM, which makes banging them out fun but I'm not sure how much carryover I'm getting. It did work my upper back pretty good so I'm thinking I'll sub them in for shrugs to get more bang for my buck.

@Prime unless you're getting ready for a competition or something static lifts are pretty easy to overcome, just do something else. If you're doing low reps drop the weight and switch to high, if you're doing high reps up the weight and switch to low, if you hate that then change exercises altogether i.e. bench sucks so do incline or dumbbell or dips and overhead press, or whatever. Don't get hung up on your program and don't keep banging your head against the wall, it's bad for your brain and won't help your body.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I have the waistline I had 7 years ago, but I weigh 8 kilograms more. Are these... gains?

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Peen wrote: »
    How high was it set?

Right above the knee, like you said. With how long my arms are it's a super short ROM, which makes banging them out fun but I'm not sure how much carryover I'm getting. It did work my upper back pretty good so I'm thinking I'll sub them in for shrugs to get more bang for my buck.

@Prime unless you're getting ready for a competition or something static lifts are pretty easy to overcome, just do something else. If you're doing low reps drop the weight and switch to high, if you're doing high reps up the weight and switch to low, if you hate that then change exercises altogether i.e. bench sucks so do incline or dumbbell or dips and overhead press, or whatever. Don't get hung up on your program and don't keep banging your head against the wall, it's bad for your brain and won't help your body.

No comps purely lifting for me. Yeah I do 3 x 5 Bench, Squat, Overhead and Deadlifts then a few other sides like pulls ups. So might switch to higher volume. What would be a good % to drop by? The 10-15% DeadLegend mentions?

Prime on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I'm looking for some advice in putting together a 3x a week full-body weight training routine in the neighborhood of 50 minutes per day. My brother and I started working out in the mornings a couple weeks ago and I'm feeling ok about it but the routine my brother based it off of is a 6-day program which if done every other day doesn't work every muscle group often enough in my opinion. The program he used is from John Manganiello's Evolution which he was doing last year and really liked but had to back off when he hurt his shoulder. It involves higher reps at lower weights with 3 circuits each working two muscle groups back-to-back with 60 seconds rest in between sets. Example:
    Dynamic Warm-Up

Circuit 1: 7 sets with the same weight

Bench Press: 20, 15, 12, 10, 5, 8, 16

` Lat pull down with a wide grip: 20, 15, 12, 10, 5, 8, 16

Circuit 2: x4

Dumbbell Incline Press: 12-15

One Arm Row: 10-12 each arm

Circuit 3: x4

Pec Deck: 10

Low Row with a Neutral Grip:10

I actually really like the workouts I just don't feel it's good enough when stretched out to every other day. So I would like to do something similar but cover a bit more bases per day.

My goals are primarily burning fat (a modest but noticeable belly for a relatively slim person) and then perhaps build muscle from there. We aren't inactive on other days as we climb at an indoor gym 1-2 times a week, play volleyball 3 times a week (days we don't lift), and I'm a moderately avid bike rider (not quite a cyclist). I don't want to cut into my other activities and neither does he so we really want to keep the 3x-a-week morning workout schedule and find a way to make the most of that time.

Thanks in advance guys! Help me and little bro get swoll!

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    hm i have not deadlifted in a while

but i was doing glute raises with 340 lbs today

my bum feels firm imo

poo
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advice in putting together a 3x a week full-body weight training routine in the neighborhood of 50 minutes per day. My brother and I started working out in the mornings a couple weeks ago and I'm feeling ok about it but the routine my brother based it off of is a 6-day program which if done every other day doesn't work every muscle group often enough in my opinion. The program he used is from John Manganiello's Evolution which he was doing last year and really liked but had to back off when he hurt his shoulder. It involves higher reps at lower weights with 3 circuits each working two muscle groups back-to-back with 60 seconds rest in between sets. Example:
    Dynamic Warm-Up

I actually really like the workouts I just don't feel it's good enough when stretched out to every other day. So I would like to do something similar but cover a bit more bases per day.

My goals are primarily burning fat (a modest but noticeable belly for a relatively slim person) and then perhaps build muscle from there. We aren't inactive on other days as we climb at an indoor gym 1-2 times a week, play volleyball 3 times a week (days we don't lift), and I'm a moderately avid bike rider (not quite a cyclist). I don't want to cut into my other activities and neither does he so we really want to keep the 3x-a-week morning workout schedule and find a way to make the most of that time.

I spent years doing a similar routine with no progress.

If I could go back with the same goals as you I would do:

D1) Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Row 3x5

D2) Front squat 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Abs

D3) Squat 3x5
    OHP 3x5
    Pullups 3xfailure

Increasing the weight for each lift each session as long as you can complete the reps. This is similar to most beginner strength programs.

Losing unwanted fat is largely down to diet.

I'd recommend you read the simple science fitness page in the op if you haven't already.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I've changed my training around. Instead of 4 full body workouts every week, now it's legs/shoulders chest/back twice a week. My main problem is the psychological feeling that I'm doing less work, because I'm generally out of the gym in an hour now.

Also! I have to rest my right arm, so everything is one handed. If you've never done a one handed dumbbell bench, give it a go. It's a great ab workout.

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    My upper back is so weird. The left side hurts like a son of a BITCH all morning, then slowly subsides and goes away in the afternoon.

By the time I'm done smashing it with accessory exercises, it feels like it never hurt to begin with - like, that type of palpable relief that only comes with truly reducing the amount of pain an injury is creating. I'm beginning to think it's not tendonitis, but rather something wrong with my sleep posture.

Anyway, all I can do is ramble about it since I don't have the means to see a PT.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I'm having a hard time breaking parallel on my "heavier" squats. That is around 90 kg I tend to go to parallel only, at best. I can't really tell what the issue is. Not flexibility, that's for sure. Gonna mess around with technique tomorrow at a lower weight.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    my hip flexors are super sore from biking on Sunday and sprinting a bunch yesterday. Damn you non gym activities!

I should probably add hanging leg raises or something to my routine, don't really have anything currently that directly works motions for raising my knees

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Any of those links above have info on a beginners weight lifting course? I might have free gym access for the next few months.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Any of those links above have info on a beginners weight lifting course? I might have free gym access for the next few months.

Ehh, probably not actually. Those are, for the most part, links for people with some existing experience in strength training.

If you're really just getting into lifting weights, you may want to check out something like the book Starting Strength.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Simple Science Fitness lists a few beginner routines, including Starting Strength, and has some tips on how to actually perform the lifts you'll find in those programs.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    "How to perform" is the reason I recommended the book. Underestimating the technicality of those lifts is a common pitfall for newbies, including myself.

@wirehead26 what are your actual goals?

pardzh on

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I've changed my training around. Instead of 4 full body workouts every week, now it's legs/shoulders chest/back twice a week. My main problem is the psychological feeling that I'm doing less work, because I'm generally out of the gym in an hour now.

Also! I have to rest my right arm, so everything is one handed. If you've never done a one handed dumbbell bench, give it a go. It's a great ab workout.

I've been doing 1 handed dumbbell shoulder presses on one knee
    Def a good ab workout

poo
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    pardzh wrote: »
    "How to perform" is the reason I recommended the book. Underestimating the technicality of those lifts is a common pitfall for newbies, including myself.

Haven't thought that far ahead but I guess building muscle to burn fat? I'm not looking to bulk up huge or anything.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »
    Dynamic Warm-Up

I spent years doing a similar routine with no progress.

If I could go back with the same goals as you I would do:

D1) Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Row 3x5

D2) Front squat 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Abs

D3) Squat 3x5
    OHP 3x5
    Pullups 3xfailure

Increasing the weight for each lift each session as long as you can complete the reps. This is similar to most beginner strength programs.

Losing unwanted fat is largely down to diet.

I'd recommend you read the simple science fitness page in the op if you haven't already.

Alternative suggestion,

D1: B. Squat 3x5
    Bench Press 3x5
    Deadlift 3x5
    Barbell Row 3x5-8

D2: Bench Press 3x5
    F. Squat 3x5
    RDL 3x5-8
    Abs

D3: Deadlift 3x5
    Incline Bench 3x5
    B. Squat 3x5
    Bi's/Tri's 3x8-12

You could do OHP on Monday in place of bench.

I think pulling off the ground twice a week is pretty important. Basically with this set-up it's heavy squat Monday, heavy bench Wednesday, heavy deadlift Friday.

This is pretty much a modified Bill Starr routine, but perfectly serviceable. In fact, @Butters you could do Jim's plan until you got to the build you want and then progress to the plan I suggested after a few months.

Both are very basic and perfectly fine plans to follow, which I believe simple is great if you don't mind doing the same thing week after week. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but just trying to offer variety.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Super appreciated, @Dead Legend! Totally agree with you fitting in bi's-tri's into that routine. Little bro suggested the same thing.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I stumbled on a few articles about how you can use isometric flexing for gains. it's... addicting

• Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    pardzh wrote: »

Haven't thought that far ahead but I guess building muscle to burn fat? I'm not looking to bulk up huge or anything.

Are you familiar with some basic compound barbell movements? Squat, deadlift, press?

You can do a lot of other stuff in a gym but in terms of effort:results ratio those are undeniably the money-makers.

This discussion has been closed.