As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, May 4, 2015 - Gavinophilia

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Unknown User on

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    It's all toilets down here! SOLID COPY!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The first CD-R I ever burned was, in fact, full of assorted mp3s. I titled it "Compression Artifact".
    Still have it, somewhere around here.

• Options
    Blackie62Blackie62 Registered User regular
    Well I guess we can't fault the hipsters for hoarding LPs in this doomsday scenario.

I shall start a religion worshiping myself and my vinyl copies of The Black Key's Brothers and the Goldfinger soundtrack.

• Options
    Stone WallStone Wall Registered User new member
    The thing with Tycho's head shape in this strip more than the last two is a little jarring what with the forehead being so prominent and there being such a large pull back into the jawline (Though it's especially appealing as seen in 'Timeless Sentiments').

It just seems slightly excessive and so makes an eye that takes advantage of that space without wild expression (It lends itself well to the first panel) seem a bit off. More in the middle panel than anywhere else so far honestly.

• Options
    Milamber_29Milamber_29 Registered User regular
    Is there gonna be a podcast for this one? because i WANT it!

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Things I remember burning to cd are:

- A mix of anime Openings and Endings.
    - The Dragonball "Rock the dragon" theme a bunch of times on one cd.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    "The Aughts" is a great name for that acursed decade... FAR better than the "Naughties" they tried to force upon us in the UK.

I'm totally stealing your word, thanks!

• Options
    IamdudeIamdude Registered User regular
    Not liking the art direction.

• Options
    BrettxPWBrettxPW Registered User regular
    Getting a weird Sesame Street puppet vibe from how Gabe and Tycho are drawn in this one. But oh boy, does that subject matter take me back to the days of Napster and spending a half an hour downloading a song... Only to find out it was some mislabeled track.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I like the faces in the first panel a great deal.

However, can someone explain the dialogue in the second panel to me? Specifically, I assume Gabe is about to (unnecessarily) explain that "Noice" is Australian for "Nice" but I am unsure what Tycho cutting him off with "Never again" is a reference to.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

However, can someone explain the dialogue in the second panel to me? Specifically, I assume Gabe is about to (necessarily) explain that "Noice" is Australian for "Nice" but I am unsure what Tycho cutting him off with "Never again" is a reference to.

Possibly a reference to the fact that things don't go well for Tycho in Oz.

i-Zx8gPfK-950x10000.jpg

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    BrettxPWBrettxPW Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

However, can someone explain the dialogue in the second panel to me? Specifically, I assume Gabe is about to (unnecessarily) explain that "Noice" is Australian for "Nice" but I am unsure what Tycho cutting him off with "Never again" is a reference to.

I just took it as Tycho telling him to never use that word again.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Or he might just be saying that Gabe should never use that particular slang again.

Much like when my friend last night said "text me the details, or as the youth say: 'Tweet me the deets.' "

I told him I was ashamed to know him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    I love the exaggerated cartoony direction the art has taken lately. The more dramatic the pose, the better for me; the visual jokes make me laugh just as much as the written ones

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Keroan wrote: »
    I love the exaggerated cartoony direction the art has taken lately. The more dramatic the pose, the better for me; the visual jokes make me laugh just as much as the written ones

You are objectively wrong.

(kidding oh mods pls don't ban)

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    This comic is exactly how I felt when Grooveshark got shut down last week.

• Options
    WarforgedRusWarforgedRus Registered User regular
    While I'll grant internet/satellite audio allows all your listening to sound like auto-tuned (quantized/distorted) Beiber pop-crap, less than $100 gets 2TB of drive storage to pack 1000's of fully lossless CD's (or 100,000's MP3's). Then shrink and sync what you want to your devices or play higher quality audio throughout your pad.

Only sad thing is how small audio is compared to video but you have to pay spotify/pandora to get listenable bit rates.

• Options
    pjarvipjarvi Registered User regular
    Sadly, if most people were to try and recover data from their oldest burned CD archives they will find the discs unreadable as the organic dyes have deteriorated over time. Hope you used proper archival grade discs instead! All my backups from 1996-2002 are unreadable now. On the upside, all of my oldest MP3 files were only recorded at 256kbps so now I get to replace them with FLAC.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    This is somewhat surreal. I guess with as large of an audience as PA has, it was bound to happen.

But yesterday I finally got around to ripping a bunch of old music cds to mp3 so I can cram them all on a CDR and play them in my car stereo for my kid to listen to. The USB stick is dedicated to podcasts which need to remember their place when the stereo is turned off. But I can't listen to them anymore because my spawn is starting to actually pay attention to the words in them, many of which are spelled with only a quartet of letters.

So yeah, I threw a handful of CDs in the car (which he insisted on referring to as "dv and ds" no matter how much I tried to convince him). Then last night and this morning I started ripping them so I could make that more convenient single CDR.

Where it gets weird (an hopefully interesting, if you've bothered to read this far) is that one of the mp3s is none other than... Glycerine. By Bush. What can I say, I just like that album. Don't judge me!

• Options
    Not Lord AtkinNot Lord Atkin Registered User new member
    edited May 2015
    Ok, I literally registered just to say this because I could find no other way of communicating the thought:

The new visual style Mike's been playing around with is absolutely delightful. It's a joy to look at. Penny arcade is now the best looking it's ever been. I mean, I understand that a person's got to get good after doing this for roughly 17 years but holy shit Mike.

Not Lord Atkin on
  • Options
    wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    Dystopian Data Druglord.

Jerry does come up with a nice turn of phrase from time to time.

• Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Loving the new style, but is it just me or is there a kind of green outline around Gabe's head in panel 2? Like he was drawn on a green background and then dropped into the frame. And just noticing that part of his left hand is missing near the hair in panel 1.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    TFXRavenTFXRaven Galactic Emperor Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    I don't like Tycho's new head bulge around the eye, but otherwise I love the style!

• Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    Gotta remember, Gabe is just experimenting with new approaches to his style. He spoke at length about the rut he found himself in and how he was trying to, essentially, draw himself out of it. I like that he's experimenting within the comic itself rather than attempting a new style in some secret lab while appeasing us with the status quo art style we're all familiar with.

• Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    I went to the Bush concert last time it was in town (in the twin cities), and man Glycerine hushed the whole crowd...

• Options
    palidine40 wrote: »
    I went to the Bush concert last time it was in town (in the twin cities), and man Glycerine hushed the whole crowd...

There's that synchronicity again. Guess where I live?

• Options
    katelaikatelai Boston, MARegistered User new member
    I just canceled my internet to save money. I FEEL YOU.

• Options
    BionicDovakinBionicDovakin Registered User regular
    katelai wrote: »
    I just canceled my internet to save money. I FEEL YOU.

Same here. Coincidentally, I have also become very good at bypassing my mobile carrier's tethering detection.

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    If I had a CD on which I could only burn a single Bush song it would be Swallowed. But if it had to be from Sixteen Stone Glycerine would probably have been edged out by Comedown.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    GreyfellGreyfell Registered User new member
    I really enjoy the super expressive style but I have to agree with the others on Tycho's head bulge. Given that it is not present when he looks directly at the viewer it's apparently just an enormous growth on his forehead. His previous head shape was a clear contrast to Gabe's more circular one, which is important in a strip with only two characters. Also, Tycho is supposed to be the smart one. Giving him a giant deformed caveman brow kind of plays against that.

• Options
    RodjirRodjir Registered User regular
    I can just imagine Mike and Jerry pissing themselves during the process on this one.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Lemme just point out that Sixteen Stone Bush would have been the 90's, not the aughts.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    palidine40 wrote: »

I haven't seen bush since the 90s.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I haven't seen bush since the 90s.

I haven't seen bush since the naughties.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    We talking about naughty bush in here?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]