As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Apparently I'm getting divorced.

Shocked and AwedShocked and Awed Registered User regular
Hello, H/A.

Earlier this evening, my wife surprised me by letting me know she wants to get divorced. I don't particularly want to get into her reasoning.

Here's some pertinent details:
We own our home. Or, rather, the bank does, and we pay a mortgage. Currently the house is worth about 20 grand less than what we owe on it. I don't have any wish to continue to own this home after a divorce. It's a small town, the land was given to us from a trust in her family's name.

We run a home business, which I will no longer be a part of after everything is said and done. Sadly, the home business is my sole source of employment, and has been for 2 years.

We have no children.

We've been married a few months shy of 9 years.

I've been trying to rationalize what I should do next, but I don't think that part of my brain is working all that great right now.

So, help me out. What are my first steps? And then what?

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Lawyer. And then maybe individual counseling, if that's your thing.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    100% get a lawyer, even it is ends up being an amicable divorce the more time your lawyer has to work on your behalf the more you can ensure an equitable split.

Concerning your employment, depending on the circumstances of business ownership your wife may or may not be able to divest you from the company without compensation, and even if it was a small business that is still resume-relevant work experience. Do you have a resume prepared? Do you want to continue in the same line of work?

• Options
    As far as a lawyer goes, I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be a fast thing. I'm not in a position to be able to support myself, and she's not in a position to support herself without someone running this business. So, would I... like retain a lawyer for services in the near future?

I have a resume prepared from my job hunt before we started the business. I can certainly add in what I've been doing and make it seem relevant. And, my involvement in our business isn't something I wanted to do in the first place. I would have rather gotten a new job after being laid off, but as time went by and no job was forthcoming, we basically fell into a situation where I ran the business and she has a full time job outside of the house. So no, it's not something I'd like to continue.

I'm sorry if I'm all over the place with my replies. Today is more difficult than last night was.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Things don't have to immediately stop because lawyers get involved. How and when your involvement with the business ends is part of what the lawyer will be negotiating.

One of the big jobs that the lawyer will do besides law stuff is help act as a negotiator and advocate for you that isn't all wrapped up in this emotionally. You can't expect to be level headed about this but you should have somebody on your side who can be.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Regarding the house, most two borrower mortgages have the capability to be assumed completely by one party in case of a divorce or death. Get in touch with your lender to see what they will need to start the process: most times it is just a signed request and a copy of the divorce papers with a visible court/judge's seal on it. Once that's done, you should be free and clear to walk away.

Try to keep your ears perked for if they need you sign a quit claim deed. You might not be able to avoid it. The quit claim removes your name from all equity in the house, but they can still go after you if your wife defaults, and that's not a pleasant surprise to have to deal with.

Disclaimer: I work at a mortgage servicer, these are general tips and may not apply directly to your situation, etc.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You want to start a dialog with a lawyer, right now. It might be fast, it might take a few months, but get a lawyer now. The cost of not getting a lawyer will be greater.

The thing about marriages is that you have vested interests in thing. So even though you don't want to continue operating the business, or living in the house (that's underwater), they're still in your name (unless you and your wife have done a lot of financial mumbo-jumbo to keep it separate). If your name is on the deed, then you're on the hook. If your name is on the DBA or financial records for the business, you're on the hook. You need a lawyer to navigate these issues because if you don't, you could be left holding the bag.

An example: If you stop working in the business, and you and your soon-to-be ex-wife start losing money, you could be liable because you did it as a response to the divorce.

Get in touch with a lawyer ASAP.

Figure out what you need to do to protect yourself from them. Kill joint cards, get a bank account set up just in your name, get your financials in order (find out from the lawyer what's legal here), etc.

You are probably even entitled to alimony as you get your life together. But the house and business will probably need to be liquidated due to the divorce and lawyers are really your only option here, even if it takes a long time and expensive. Not getting one is going to be more expensive and be even longer.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    You want to start a dialog with a lawyer, right now. It might be fast, it might take a few months, but get a lawyer now. The cost of not getting a lawyer will be greater.

All of Bowen's post is gold, but this is platinum. Even if it is amicable you will be navigating a massive amount of legal requirements to split assets and a lawyer will help you navigate that. In addition, you may want to accelerate it faster than your spouse does since stretching these things out usually creates more tension and animosity (and thus messy legal battles) than a clean break.

• Options
    Stretching out proceedings also makes one person more willing to settle too.

The lawyer will be the impartial entity here to let you know if you're getting screwed, which a lot of people do because "they just want this over."

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Well, that all makes sense. My name is on the house and the land, but not the business. And we maintained separate finances the entire time we were married, there's no joint bank account or even a credit card. Wait, scratch that, we might have both our names on a Lowes card.

I guess once I get my head on a little more straight I'll look for a lawyer. I say that because I'm finding it really difficult to concentrate and make decisions. I've actually got a buddy who is both a pastor and a counselor that I'll be having a long talk with this evening, so hopefully that will help too.

• Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    Well, that all makes sense. My name is on the house and the land, but not the business. And we maintained separate finances the entire time we were married, there's no joint bank account or even a credit card. Wait, scratch that, we might have both our names on a Lowes card.

I guess once I get my head on a little more straight I'll look for a lawyer. I say that because I'm finding it really difficult to concentrate and make decisions. I've actually got a buddy who is both a pastor and a counselor that I'll be having a long talk with this evening, so hopefully that will help too.

I'm going to go the opposite as everyone here. If your wife and you are still on semi-decent speaking terms you might see if you two can come to an agreement and skip the lawyers.
    When my wife and I got divorced we skipped the lawyers, divided up the stuff and went on our way. We actually got the whole thing finished in one day since nothing was contested. It was just both of us going to court, filling out a few papers, paying about $200 for filing fees and that was it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

This is exactly why a lawyer can help. They are emotionally separated from the situation and can advocate for you (this is important for her, as well).

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015

I'm going to go the opposite as everyone here. If your wife and you are still on semi-decent speaking terms you might see if you two can come to an agreement and skip the lawyers.
    When my wife and I got divorced we skipped the lawyers, divided up the stuff and went on our way. We actually got the whole thing finished in one day since nothing was contested. It was just both of us going to court, filling out a few papers, paying about $200 for filing fees and that was it.

Normally I'm all for trying a divorce lawyer-free; My and ex and I did it fine while in opposite ends of the country, but with a house and a business involved there is no way in good conscience I could recommend trying this lawyer free. Especially with a business involved and all the extra legal and financial issues that could create.

In amicable divorces the lawyer is really there just to make sure all of your ducks are in a row so you don't get screwed years down the line. That's all this lawyer needs to be, but if the proceedings go south then you'd be very happy the lawyer was already there and working for you.

Veevee on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Normally I'm all for trying a divorce lawyer-free; My and ex and I did it fine while in opposite ends of the country, but with a house and a business involved there is no way in good conscience I could recommend trying this lawyer free. Especially with a business involved and all the extra legal and financial issues that could create.

In amicable divorces the lawyer is really there just to make sure all of your ducks are in a row so you don't get screwed years down the line. That's all this lawyer needs to be, but if the proceedings go south then you'd be very happy the lawyer was already there and working for you.

This. My wife had her own business before we got married, and a prenuptial agreement helped get all these things sorted out just in case the worst happens. I was going to ask if S&A had one, but I assumed no, since they were married for so long before S&A listed it as his sole source of income.

• Options
    edited May 2015

Just a point, it isn't exactly mutual. Unless I'm really misreading things S&A wasn't looking to end this and she was. This pretty much guarantees she's given more thought to the consequences of this and how she wants it to play out and she's doing it in a completely different mindset than S&A would be right now. I don't expect the user name is a coincidence and the whole point of Shock and Awe is you make horrible decisions while you're suffering from it.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Take a shit-ton of pictures of the house and property if you plan to move out. Document every thing. Get time stamps.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    The reason I wouldn't go divorce free isn't necessarily the house in this case, that's a 50/50 split as far as I'm concerned.

But that business venture is important, and if OP was unemployed for a period of time, he may be due alimony if she continued to work. Unless the business is turning lots of profit (more than 50k a year), he's probably taken a hit on his career for his family. It's not unlike having kids and one of the parents staying home. If they do have kids and he was taking care of them, that's even more reason to get a lawyer.

• Options
    And all of this is assuming amicable divorce terms, if the spouse decides to play hardball (and generally speaking everyone in a divorce typically does at some point) not having a lawyer can lead to losing pretty much everything.

• Options
    Yes, S&A is an alt I made specifically to discuss this. My usual username is one that I've used for over a decade on everything from MMO games to Xbox live. If you were to google it, you would get more hits than my real name. Since I've only spoken to one friend about this, and zero family, I wanted to to do this portion anonymously.

In no particular order:
    There is no pre-nup, the business has only existed legally for about a year and half. And no, it's most certainly not making more than 50k year. Given enough time, I think it could do that, but it's a niche market.

She had definitely given it way more thought than me. Since I didn't know it was even coming, and she's already discussed it with at least some of her friends and her parents. At this point, we're still amicable enough. I'm resentful, angry, and sad, but most of that isn't directed at her so much as it's directed at the complete and utter waste of time that this makes the last 2 years of my life.

In terms of equitable splits and property and money and such, in order for me to get anything out of my wife, she would have to liquidate the home, which would mean closing the business. I don't want that to happen. I don't want her to lose the home or the land, or to lose the business which had more or less been her dream for a while. If that means that all I get when this ends is whatever bit of cash she can scrape up, that's fine. I've got two friends that are very recently divorced, so there's probably going to be a "sad men's club" forming up pretty soon.

I guess all I would need a lawyer for is to make sure that, legally, I'm not on the hook for any financial stuff that may (and probably will) go south after I make my graceful exit. But who knows, this is 100% new to me, so maybe my outlook will change.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Last paragraph, first sentence, agree 100% after watching a few friends go through similar situations.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Just keep in mind, you don't owe anybody anything. And yes, that last paragraph is the reason you should lawyer up. Most divorces start out "well we'll just work it out peacefully" and then they find something that both parties want and then it turns nasty.

Maybe you don't want to take those things away from her, but maybe she doesn't want you to have that Hank Aaron baseball card because she never loved Hank like you did.

bowen on
  • Options
    In terms of equitable splits and property and money and such, in order for me to get anything out of my wife, she would have to liquidate the home, which would mean closing the business. I don't want that to happen. I don't want her to lose the home or the land, or to lose the business which had more or less been her dream for a while. If that means that all I get when this ends is whatever bit of cash she can scrape up, that's fine. I've got two friends that are very recently divorced, so there's probably going to be a "sad men's club" forming up pretty soon.

Yea, or if you had a lawyer he could suggest a way for you to get some of the communal property without crippling the business. Like, is the business incorporated? That's cheap and once it is your part of the settlement might be that you own x% of it. The concept that it is hers when it is clearly tying up all the assets of both of you is silly and an emotional response because you're used to thinking about "we" while she has moved on to thinking about "I" and you haven't made the same switch yet.

Get a lawyer. Tell them your priorities and if they give you shit about working out an accommodation that will let the business continue while still giving you some of the community property then find a different lawyer. A good lawyer is going to do the best to represent you while respecting any limits you give them.

• Options
    DA brings up good points.

• Options
    OP, where are you living right now?

• Options
    Captain, check your PMs.

It's less that I'm still thinking about 'we' and more that I'm an enough of an adult to understand that getting my fair share doesn't need to mean screwing over another person. Not to mention we've got a bunch of pets, and where are they all going to end up if the house has to be sold? I'll take the hit if my dogs don't have to live in a kennel until they either get put down or adopted. (And no, I'm not taking or asking for custody of the dogs. That's something I might try and work out when I figure out where I'll be living.)

• Options
    TheZKTheZK Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how to put this, but you sound like you're getting ready to screw yourself without any help from your wife. I can understand wanting to be nice about this whole thing, but you've talked yourself into a place where selling a house will lead to your dogs getting put down, which probably isn't rational.

You need some advice from someone who isn't so close to this.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Do you have any other family who would be willing to watch your dogs while you got settled? Surely there's other options besides giving them up.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Or walking away from equity.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Negative equity is OK to walk away from. Paying 20K (or half of) hardly seems a bargain to get out from under a mortgage to a house you don't want to live in anyways. And that's just the particulars of the house, haven't factored in legal fees yet.

Since there are no kids and it seems like it might be amicable you may be well served to look into settling/filing this divorce without both of you securing your own counsel. If you guys can avoid getting mean, then maybe you can both walk away from this with minimal expense. If this seems possible look into counsel that may cater to uncontested divorce.

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    It's less that I'm still thinking about 'we' and more that I'm an enough of an adult to understand that getting my fair share doesn't need to mean screwing over another person.
    I don't want her to lose the home or the land, or to lose the business which had more or less been her dream for a while.

These statements sound like the sort of man who is still clinging to the vain hope that she'll change her mind and everything will be hunky-dory again. I know the announcement blindsided you, and you still have feelings for her, but remember this:

She doesn't mind screwing you over. She doesn't mind you losing your home or land.

I know that saying this makes her out to be some sort of heartless bitch, and that's probably not really the case. Certainly she's never vocalized as much? But ultimately it is true, even if in just a slight way, and it's been true the moment that she revealed her divorce intentions--that was the moment when she stated "I no longer love you nor even care about you enough to put up with you," and if you want to get through this thing as quickly and painlessly as possible, you're going to have to get on board with that.

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    My wife and I divorced without lawyers and were still pretty jokey about everything.

Because we were dirt fucking poor with no assets what so ever that could be fought over, no kids, no pets. Nothing.

Get a lawyer, if nothing else, get a lawyer to buttress up your broken heart. You were invested in this and have said you didn't see it coming. You need strength and as someone who pounded their fists on the floor and screamed their heart out, I say you need a lawyer.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Never mind.

minirhyder on
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    To add to the chorus: Talk to an attorney, even if all you do is pay for an hour of his or her time to get a Divorce 101 crash course.

What I haven't seen: The state you live in is important. That's nothing you have to share publicly, but understand that domestic relations law (aka, divorce) can be very different state to state.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I'll add to the 'get a lawyer'. If for no other reason than getting the business (and to a lesser extent) house paperwork together and straightened out.

Does she want the house and property? You indicated that the land came from her family's trust, so I'd guess she is more attached to it than you are. If that's the case, you can probably arrange for her to take over the house and make a term of the divorce that she refinances entirely in her own name within a given time period (six months, a year, etc).

The business is something she wants. That's good, you don't want to ruin it, but you also indicated she has a full time job outside the home. You shouldn't feel any obligation to the business regardless, but if the business is only a year and a half old it's likely she's not dependent on the business. You also think the business is likely to fail without your contributions, so be frank with her about it but don't feel overly obligated to the business. If she wants it, she can start the business up again. You'll definitely want a lawyer to at least check and confirm you have no responsibility for any aspect of the business.

Most of what you can do seems like it can be amicably resolved, but make sure a lawyer looks everything over and gets your ducks in a row. There may be pitfalls you haven't anticipated and you want to make sure that nothing comes back to haunt you down the line.

In the meantime, start brushing up your resume and looking for jobs and places to live. You can find somewhere to live with your pets, and long term arrangements (hell, even custody schedules) can be arranged. If you're entirely dependent on the business and she has an outside source of income, there's a good chance you can get alimony to help bridge the gap until you are self-sufficient.

Just remember that you are divorcing. If everything can be amicable that's good, but your obligation to her and her future happiness is entirely up to you. She's not your wife when you're divorced. A lot of people just want to get it done and over with, and if that's your mentality that's good, but make it as much on your terms as possible. Think of this as a business arrangement between friends, and don't be surprised if she tries to play you - remember, unless you are completely oblivious, this came out of the blue and she's had more time to think about it and through it than you.

Taking some time while you get your side of things together and put some thought into what you want is good, you have a lot of control over how fast or slow things go, and don't commit or agree to anything (and don't move out) until you are ready and have your head together.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    Semi-Personal anecdote:

While you can get a divorce done without an attorney it is not easy. My co-worker (is a paralegal) who recently got a divorce from his wife (an attorney). They have two kids together and a home. To hear him tell it, it was painful, but relatively easy because of their legal backgrounds. I know he went to the local courthouse at least once a week for free seminars. I should say that neither of these people are involved in Divorce's professionally.

They went to mediators (non-practicing attorneys and former judges) frequently. It can be done, but it is not easy. There is a lot of legwork outside of the official forms that need to be agreed on, and if you can separate yourself from that, more power to you. Most people cannot.

Good luck.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Be prepared for it to take a while a well. I wasnt even married and it took a year (almost to the day) to get the house switched over from joint mortgage to my name only.

Prime on
  • Options
    I meant where are you living as in, are you still in the house? At a friends? Hotel?

Because you need to document the whole house, get copies of every document you have for the business, etc. Paranoid? A bit. But better to trouble yourself now then later.