[ARK: Survival Evolved] PA Server is LIVE! Deets in OP.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I know this is silly but I find myself not wanting to play Ark, just watch the highlights as it were.

What good stories of Ark on youtube would you suggest since you watched them and were entertained?

I don't know if it's a highlight, or a good story, but Duncan and Lewis of the Yogscast recently did a few episodes of them starting out. The usual bumbling ensued. First episode is here. If you wanted something with a higher skill level that showcases more of the endgame though, that's definitely not where to look.

Yeah, definitely had enough of the buffoons, I am more interested in what awesome bases someone has built or amazing feats of skill or some epic tale of tribal relations and so on.

Heck, it doesn't even have to be some videos, I am curious what "Wow!" stories really stick out to this thread that have been shared in this thread with screen shots or it didn't happen?

steam_sig.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I know this is silly but I find myself not wanting to play Ark, just watch the highlights as it were.

What good stories of Ark on youtube would you suggest since you watched them and were entertained?

I don't know if it's a highlight, or a good story, but Duncan and Lewis of the Yogscast recently did a few episodes of them starting out. The usual bumbling ensued. First episode is here. If you wanted something with a higher skill level that showcases more of the endgame though, that's definitely not where to look.

Yeah, definitely had enough of the buffoons, I am more interested in what awesome bases someone has built or amazing feats of skill or some epic tale of tribal relations and so on.

Heck, it doesn't even have to be some videos, I am curious what "Wow!" stories really stick out to this thread that have been shared in this thread with screen shots or it didn't happen?

Try Sl1pg8r (slipgator)

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    I already know the answer for this before asking, but I'll ask any ways just to save myself the walk:

Has anyone settled near the waterfall on the Western side of the map, not far from the green obelisk? I imagine someone has by now, since it's a pretty nice spot, but I figured I'd ask. If not, I may pack Dino up and head over that way.

Reddaye wrote: »
    I already know the answer for this before asking, but I'll ask any ways just to save myself the walk:

Has anyone settled near the waterfall on the Western side of the map, not far from the green obelisk? I imagine someone has by now, since it's a pretty nice spot, but I figured I'd ask. If not, I may pack Dino up and head over that way.

The one just east of it? Yes, someone has.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    @General_Armchair the egg update is upon us and it is glorious.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    @General_Armchair the egg update is upon us and it is glorious.
    Good the hear it. If I wasn't dying in dark souls and striving to git gud right now, then I'd be taking part in the dino celebration.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012

One of my earliest experiences was running around checking out the glowing lights to see what they were there for (hence I named my character Moth). So I don't have much in the way of gear and no real place of residence yet I set off at night towards Green or Blue Obelisk not knowing what I'll find there or what their purpose is. Nearing one my torch breaks as I'm trying to navigate some rocky terrains (the torch gives a good but very limited ranged of light) so I repair it only to be greeted by a rows of sharp teeth looking down at me (the one on the right). It was a spinosaur at night and I didn't live another 10 seconds despite bolting it in the opposite direction quickly checking behind me and the screen shaking from the large dino following.

It's probably my fondest and one of the earliest experiences of this game and just really sealed the deal on exploration.

I am so glad they fixed Spino teeth.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvJzhOHoako

video from the SotF event, jumping from each player as they die

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    So did some quick testing in single-player and it looks like you can't 'replace' behemoth gates like you can walls, floors ect... So it might be awhile before i actually can be bothered to replace my metal gates with Stone...

Also ran into a level Eight Alpha rex while hunting with my rexes... agro'd on me before i could wait for others to show up so i put him down...

Kind of hard to tell how much damage he did exactly, since two other rexes agro'd at the same time and he was attacking my other rex, the one i wasn't riding... maybe did about 1k damage?

Funnily enough *both* my rexes also got the 'Alpha boost' (or i assume thats what the white square next to the mating heart is) and it persisted after the Alpha's death... atleast for ten minutes after when i logged out.

1Gn4PNI.png
    Really long Digest the week, I suggest checking it out:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/535152511360451887/

One cool one:
    Survivor, Dorgorth01 asks, “Will we be seeing more melee weaponry?”

Answer:
    Yes, we plant to add a proper knife, a couple swords, and three tiers of shields which will actually be usable in combination with most other melee weapons for some proper medieval-style melee combat!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Oh hey, dung beetle!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=494807053

I'd seen that suggestion knocking around the forums. Glad they took it. Or glad they already had it planned, whichever.

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    So, I finally finished moving a bit inland, from the eastern shore. Stocking up on metal, got some eggs, some prime meat from the Argen birds, etc. So I feel Im moving up... except that I am lvl 40 and my best dino is a Trike. (love it, but poor speed and poor stamina restricts its use a lot)

I dont want to have a batallion of Dinos, Id like to keep as few as possible to cover some basic roles, for example, I could keep an Anky for berries, stone and wood gathering, a Raptor for sprinting, and... I am missing a comfortable mount that can also serve as an attack/defense dino to replace my trike,(and releasing the pack of Dilos I keep around to protect it).

But I have no idea how to tackle the larger dinos that can both outrun me, and outfight me. Hell, I even end up killing raptors because I cant just put them to sleep without something killing them before I finish the job!

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
    Server still shows as down for me. I'm starting to get the shakes LOL.

FANTOMAS wrote: »
    So, I finally finished moving a bit inland, from the eastern shore. Stocking up on metal, got some eggs, some prime meat from the Argen birds, etc. So I feel Im moving up... except that I am lvl 40 and my best dino is a Trike. (love it, but poor speed and poor stamina restricts its use a lot)

I dont want to have a batallion of Dinos, Id like to keep as few as possible to cover some basic roles, for example, I could keep an Anky for berries, stone and wood gathering, a Raptor for sprinting, and... I am missing a comfortable mount that can also serve as an attack/defense dino to replace my trike,(and releasing the pack of Dilos I keep around to protect it).

But I have no idea how to tackle the larger dinos that can both outrun me, and outfight me. Hell, I even end up killing raptors because I cant just put them to sleep without something killing them before I finish the job!

if you're 40 I suggest getting a Mammoth and an Ankylo

only 5 more levels and you can get a Saber

server is up for me, I'm online right now

edited August 2015
    Turambar wrote: »

Not working for me. Says < not responding > on the Steam server list. Doesn't show up in my favorites anymore. Also can't find it anymore via name search.

Sigh.

Even more odd when I can successfully ping it without a problem.

Reddaye on
  • HerothHeroth Registered User regular

Also a Carno would be an all around good mount... good damage and defense and pretty fast... stamina is decent aswell...

1Gn4PNI.png

I mean, you can tame them now. You just need to ask someone to make you a saddle.

• WIckedkarmaWIckedkarma AustinRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    @WIckedkarma does the server update on its own or is it manual?

I mean, I'm about to head to work but presumably someone is playing atm or will during the day.
    Sorry for not being around much recently, this is my first week back to work after my surgery so I am swamped. The server update is manual, along with the restarts.

camo_sig2.png
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular

Not working for me. Says < not responding > on the Steam server list. Doesn't show up in my favorites anymore. Also can't find it anymore via name search.

Sigh.

Even more odd when I can successfully ping it without a problem.

It never shows for me in the big list, but I set the list to show "my survivors", and I never have a problem with it.

I mean, you can tame them now. You just need to ask someone to make you a saddle.

I have been watching some mammoths and Carnos near the mountain where I gather stone, but I am never equipped to "test" how they do. (meaning alone and with no gear so I can die without problem). Is the Mammoth a gethering one? because I already have an Anky for that. Also, lets say I go for a lvl50 Carno, how many tranq arrows should I sort of expect to use on him? I have already run out of tranq arrows in the past, while trying to knock out dinos. (spent 15 arrows on an Argen-bird, had to end up killing it)

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Ankies gather Thatch more than wood, flint and metal more than stone, and berries, but all in medium ammounts. Really, it's the miner more than anything else. Mammoths are your lumber cutters, and they do an amazing job. I have my mammoth up to carrying close to 700 and it just harvests like no tomorrow.

Carnos are a strange beast, good and fast but only in short bursts, but they are one of only a few dinos with an actual atl fire attack (a head swinging attack with their horns). They are medium level (which is about where you are), and with about a stack of tranqs I think you should be fine.

I think.

Now, as for other harvesters, Brontos are the best berry pickers, but they take up a lot of room and if you plan to keep a low stable of critters an Anky or Steg for berries would probably serve you just as well. Do note though that so far as we know, Brontos are going to be the only ones with buildable saddles, so if that matters to you, keep it in mind.

Sabercats get more Keratin and Chitin, which is important for cementing paste (until they release the Snail), and fiber can be gotten right now with the sickle, and within a few weeks with a fiber harvesting ape.

There are others later down the pipeline, and remember if you ever feel too glutted on critters you can always store them inside an obelisk, those large glowing pillars in the sky.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    @WIckedkarma does the server update on its own or is it manual?

I mean, I'm about to head to work but presumably someone is playing atm or will during the day.
    Sorry for not being around much recently, this is my first week back to work after my surgery so I am swamped. The server update is manual, along with the restarts.

Hope you are healing quickly. Feel better soon, I'm sure the residents of the Ziggurat miss you. :wink:

I have been watching some mammoths and Carnos near the mountain where I gather stone, but I am never equipped to "test" how they do. (meaning alone and with no gear so I can die without problem). Is the Mammoth a gethering one? because I already have an Anky for that. Also, lets say I go for a lvl50 Carno, how many tranq arrows should I sort of expect to use on him? I have already run out of tranq arrows in the past, while trying to knock out dinos. (spent 15 arrows on an Argen-bird, had to end up killing it)

Mammoths harvest wood and berries. They're also remarkably tough and fast. Good carry capacity. I use mine a LOT. You can tame fairly easy as they are a bit slow in the wild, so you can kite them. Takes a long time to tame though and a lot of mejoberries.

The amount of arrows you'll need can vary, but something high level (60+) will usually take 50-100 arrows, and an extra bow/crossbow for when the first one breaks. For stuff below 60, I'd say bring at least 50.

Argentavais are a bit odd because they recently boosted player damage to flyers, which can lead to them dying before they get knocked out. Avoid headshots for them.

I'll try checking the My Survivors list once the game finishes downloading. It seemed to install two updates yesterday, so maybe theres an issue with versions between my game and the server. I didn't have any problems before the patching yesterday. So I uninstalled it today, and am redownloading.

If that doesn't work, I dunno lol.

So with the egg changes, I am actually getting eggs now! Yay.

I'm mostly farming scorpions and stegos right now to get a new bird and T-Rex. And of course the spinos are a finally laying eggs, so if anyone is going to be taming sharks anytime soon lemme know. I already have two sharks.

Some tidbits from the Digest (though you should read all of it, really[/i)]:

On scuba gear
    We will be adding in scuba-gear in August, including goggles.

On the Sci-Fi Tier of buildings
    You’ll still need to wait a little while for this one, before then we’ve got to send out the Swamp Biome changes and the Snow Biome! After that we’ll be focusing on the bosses, caves, the sci-fi tier, and the Ascension process

On Regrowth
    Very likely. We want to support regrowing a forest around your base, so we’re going to implement some kind of miracle-gro solution you can use for this pretty soon. Note that it will only regrow plants that were already there, but still, that’ll be quite useful to make your hidden cabin by the lake hidden once again!

On things to decorate with like chairs and tables
    We’ll have those! Including the animations to go with using those pieces. We also hope to introduce other decorative items like trophies and tombstones!

The intent of Alpha creatures
    As for regular bosses, as of patch 193 we introduced an Alpha Dinosaur. These will function as biome mini-bosses and they’ll be spread all across the ARK World.

On berries
    As we introduce more of our biomes, we’ll begin working on specifying the exact berries and fruits to the unique plants they belong to.

On LOOT
    We’ll be doing more to enemies so that their loot tables are a lot more rewarding for the amount of effort required to kill them, and indeed refreshing the Supply Crates shortly. You’ll get more than a flag for killing the Broodmother when it’s been fully fleshed out!

On building inside of caves in PvE
    Sure, v194 will expose that as a customizable server option!

There was talk the other day of needing new clothing for the colder places
    We’ll be introducing new clothing to wear with the addition of the new biomes! When the snow biome arrives, you’ll be able to craft cold-insulating gear made from the fur of Mammoths! As for heat-absorbing swim-ready gear other than skinny dipping, that’ll be coming soon too

The problem of too much equipment without a way to deconstruct it (this was more of a suggestion, really)
    That’s a cool idea. We’ll definitely be looking into it asap. It would certainly help satisfy the hoarder in me to collect everything possible and deconstruct it.

And speaking of suggestions, on for a portable repair station
    That sounds like a good idea! We’ll be considering a portable repair station that you can place down and pick up.

The all important question of using Flare Guns while on a dino
    Yeah, in v194 using the flare gun while on a Dino will be supported!

On the need for "Half Walls" as barriers
    Yep, we’ll make sure to get half-walls, which are also good for railings, implemented across all tiers in August.

In short, it looks like plenty more awesome coming our way. :biggrin:

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    While I was worried the new trilobite change would mean I wouldn't be able to hunt them anymore, it turns out its actually a boon. Because directly behind my makeshift shark/dolphin pen about 50 feet down there is a ledge where all the trilobites that now fear the shallows gather. And I mean all. With my new adopted Spino, it takes about two bites and I'm rolling in pearls, oil, and chitin.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    . . . Good to know.

Have you also noticed my continually not done fortress is becoming quite a bit more done? :biggrin:

edited August 2015
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    . . . Good to know.

Have you also noticed my continually not done fortress is becoming quite a bit more done? :biggrin:

The pen seems small, have you thought about expanding it?

Once furniture and stuff is a thing, I suppose I will need to move to a bigger base. I don't have any expansion room inside Rocktop.

MuddBudd on
    Headed in to the Pack cave to try to retrieve the artifact this morning. It went well, until the piranhas and glitches finally got me. I thought I was prepared because the Goddamn Bat Cave (Devourer) was rated as the hardest but the longer underwater segments are real sink or swim (haha). I went in with as much supplies as I did for Devourer but ended up biting it. So I used the rest of my time to cook up supplies this morning and instead of going in hide I'm taking my Flak armor and two backups of chitin and flak. Hopefully tonight goes smoother but I won't be on till some hours later.

Then it will be Broodmother time--on the weekend. I'll still probably collect the other two artifacts just to experience all the current caves.

Initial patch notes for tonight-ish:
    Upcoming Version: v194.0, ETA: Thursday Night Eastern
    * Moving most servers to new faster host! Better official server framerates, woot!
    * Activating the Flare Gun when riding a Dino will now automatically shoot the Flare upwards
    * Fix for bodies sinking into floors upon reconnecting/reloading
    * Your selected Survivor Spawn Region is now remembered when reconnecting your client
    * Server Admins can now disable Taming on a per-Dino basis via their config
    * PvE server admins can now enable building in Caves via their config
    * Only Female Dinos lay eggs now ;)
    * You can no longer mount a dino if you're snared in a Bear Trap
    * Alpha predators now give 4x the regular amount of resources and nothing but prime meat!
    * Added Alpha versions of Carnotaurus and Utahraptor -- they buff less than the Alpha Rex, however.
    * Fix for one last case of possibly erroneously entering Spectator mode
    * Picking up your own Tamed Dinos' eggs no longer aggros Wild Dinos of that species ;)
    [MORE NOTES TO COME]

More Alphas.

Maybe 5k health on my new Spino isn't enough...

Kalnaur wrote: »
    . . . Good to know.

The pen seems small, have you thought about expanding it?

Once furniture and stuff is a thing, I suppose I will need to move to a bigger base. I don't have any expansion room inside Rocktop.

I will have a stone skyway bridge extending across the bank to my original base for additional . . .parking.

Well, for whatever reasonthe My Survivor's list of servers allows me to access the PA server, despite it being non-responsive on the Steam server's list. Happy I can log in though.

Went over and checked out my neighbor Merch's sweet rock top compound on my way by. Nice stuff.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So with the upcoming server flag, will we be allowing structures in caves? I have vaguely amusing plans of filling the lava cave with air conditioners.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • azhaisazhais Registered User regular
    Finally found an alpha rex tonight. Level 1, very exciting. Gashik killed it, maybe he took screenshots. Even the level 1 took 2k off his 129 rex.

steam_sig.png
    Now I feel the need to get more walls up tonight before the alpha raptors and Carnos hit . . .

• Out Of ContextOut Of Context Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    So with the upcoming server flag, will we be allowing structures in caves? I have vaguely amusing plans of filling the lava cave with air conditioners.
    I'd recommend against this, simply because cave supply crates won't respawn if any structural foundation is built anywhere near it (something like 160 meters at the moment...it's ridiculous). The artifact crate might be an exception to that, though.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    It would be nice if we could put campfires down though. All the prime meat that the titanboas drop just taunts me.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • GashikGashik Office Communist Registered User regular
    No screenshots of the Alpha kill, unfortunately. I was talking with and streaming the game for a few friends while I was fighting it. It went down quickly enough, but I could certainly see and Alpha Rex in the +50 range starting to cause trouble. This one was actually trying to get into the Caketown base right on the main river near the volcano, but got hung up on the rocks. Those of us near major predator area may want to think about reinforcing defenses for offline times.