Options

[pbp] Dead of Winter - Raiding party is over!

DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
edited June 2015 in Critical Failures
cover.png
Crossroads is a new series from Plaid Hat Games that tests a group of survivors' ability to work together and stay alive while facing crises and challenges from both outside and inside.

Dead of Winter is the first game in this series. It puts 2-5 players together in a small, weakened colony of survivors in a world where most of humanity are either dead or diseased, flesh-craving monsters. Each player leads a faction of survivors with dozens of different characters in the game.

Dead of Winter is a meta-cooperative psychological survival game. This means the players are working together toward one common victory condition--but for each individual player to achieve victory, they must also complete their personal secret objective. This secret objective could relate to a psychological tick that's fairly harmless to most others in the colony, a dangerous obsession that could put the main objective at risk, a desire for sabotage of the main mission, or worst of all: vengeance against the colony! Certain games could end with all players winning, some winning and some losing, or all players losing. Work toward the group's goal but don't get walked all over by a loudmouth who's only looking out for their own interests!

Rules of the game
Reference
FAQ

Player aid:
nhzdilk5po6j.png

Rolling dice:
Action die is a simple d6.
Exposure die is d12, 1-6 mean Nothing, 7-9 mean Wound, 10-11 mean Frostbite, 12 means Bitten.

Current game state:

Game board
n864g4z0s905.jpg

Main objective
Raiding party
Morale starts at 5
Round track starts at 6
2 zombies at each location
Victory condition: deplete 2 non-colony locations of their item decks.
Progress: 0/2

Current crisis
Unending hordes
Needed: 5 Tool cards
Fail: Add 8 zombies to the colony, lose 1 morale
Optional: Add 2 additional Tool cards to gain 1 morale
Cards contributed: 2

Locations
Colony
Morale: 2
Round track: 2
Food: 2
Waste: 5
Survivors: 6, helpless: 1; Loretta Clay, Olivia Brown, Tallia Jones, Sophie Robinson, Jenny Clark

Entrances:
1. qao4rogk83d1.pngppzsrsz2vs4e.pngppzsrsz2vs4e.png
2. qao4rogk83d1.pngppzsrsz2vs4e.pngppzsrsz2vs4e.png
3. qao4rogk83d1.pngppzsrsz2vs4e.pngppzsrsz2vs4e.png
4. qao4rogk83d1.pngqao4rogk83d1.pngppzsrsz2vs4e.png
5. ppzsrsz2vs4e.pngppzsrsz2vs4e.pngppzsrsz2vs4e.png
6. 93e1yr7hct30.png93e1yr7hct30.png93e1yr7hct30.png

Police Station
Cards: 4
Survivors: 2/3; James Meyers, Sparky
Noise: 1/4
93e1yr7hct30.pngqao4rogk83d1.pngqao4rogk83d1.png93e1yr7hct30.png

Grocery Store
Cards: 1
Survivors: 3/3; John Price, Andrew Evans, Annaleigh Chan
Noise: 0/4
ppzsrsz2vs4e.png93e1yr7hct30.pngqao4rogk83d1.png93e1yr7hct30.png

School
Cards: 19
Survivors: 0/4;
qao4rogk83d1.pngqao4rogk83d1.pngqao4rogk83d1.pngppzsrsz2vs4e.png

Library
Cards: 20
Survivors: 0/3
qao4rogk83d1.pngqao4rogk83d1.pngppzsrsz2vs4e.png

Hospital
Cards: 20
Survivors: 0/4;
qao4rogk83d1.pngqao4rogk83d1.pngqao4rogk83d1.pngppzsrsz2vs4e.png

Gas Station
Cards: 16
Survivors: 0/2;
qao4rogk83d1.pngqao4rogk83d1.pngppzsrsz2vs4e.png

Players
Void Slayerlq07f1s5jax4.png
Cards: 6
Survivors:
Leader: Sparky, Stunt dog, Influence 10, Attack 2+, Search 2+, Ability: ANYWHERE, When rolling for exposure with Sparky if you roll a bite, threat ut as if you rolled a wound. When spreading a bite effect, ignore Sparky. tu4ey107fodq.png
* Tikka T3 Tactical Rifle - Gun - EQUIP: Once per round you may kill 1 zombie at any location. Do not roll for exposure. It's not an attack, does not use an action die.
1: Andrew Evans, Farmer, Influence 12, Attack 3+, Search 3+, Ability: GROCERY STORE, Once per round, when performing search at the grocery store you may look at and keep 1 additional card.
* Hammer - Tool - EQUIP: Once per turn build 2 barricades instead of 1.
2: Jenny Clark, Waitress, Influence 24, Attack 4+, Search 3+, Ability: ANYWHERE, Once per round, when performing search with Jenny you may look at 3 additional cards.
El Skid
Cards: 3
Survivors:
Leader: Annaleigh Chan, Lawyer, Influence 38, Attack 2+, Search 2+, Ability: COLONY, Once per round you may look at 1 card at random in a player's hand. tu4ey107fodq.png
1: Loretta Clay, Cook, Influence 20, Attack 2+, Search 4+, Ability: COLONY, 4+: Once per round you may add 2 food tokens to the food supply
* Lighter - Gun - EQUIP: Once per round, when this survivor performs an attack, you may play a fuel card to kil 4 zombies instead of 1. Do not roll for exposure. Do not use the ability of the fuel card.
MrBody
Cards: 7
Survivors:
Leader: John Price, Student, Influence 18, Attack 3+, Search 3+, Ability: NON-COLONY, When John is not at the colony, he is considered to have the ability of every other survivor he shares a location with.tu4ey107fodq.png
* FN SLP Shotgun - Gun - EQUIP: Once per round, when this survivor performs an attack kill 2 zombies instead of 1. Do not roll for exposure. Put 1 noise token into the location if possible.
Mikey CTS
Cards: 1
Survivors:
Leader: Olivia Brown, Doctor, Influence 56, Attack 4+, Search 3+, Ability: ANYWHERE, Once per round you may remove any type of wound token from a survivor that shares a location with Olivia. Olivia may use this ability on herself.
JPants
Cards: 4
Survivors:
Leader: Tallia Jones, Fortune teller, Influence 28, Attack 3+, Search 1+, Ability: ANYWHERE, Once per round you may look at the top 2 cards of the crisis deck and place them back in any order. Then you may say exactly 2 words to all players about the crisis cards, nothing more.
1: James Meyers, Psychiatrist, Influence 54, Attack 6+, Search 3+, Ability: ANYWHERE, Once per round you may reroll 1 or more of your unused action dice . You must keep the second result.
* Tikka T3 Tactical Rifle - Gun - EQUIP: Once per round you may kill 1 zombie at any location. Do not roll for exposure. It's not an attack, does not use an action die.
2: Sophie Robinson, Pilot, Influence 58, Attack 4+, Search 1+, Ability: ANYWHERE, Once per round you may look at the top card of a single location's item deck. After you have looked at the card place it back on top of that item deck.

Daemonis on

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I saw this on Tabletop and it looked like fun. !Sign

• Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    I'll like to give this a shake, !sign.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Me! Me! sign-up!

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Always wanted to play this!

!Sign up

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular

This game looks totally unfair!

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular

Never played before. I will probably be horrible.

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Sign me up!

• Options
    cannibalize rest of the survivors for stealing my brainwaves and contaminating my precious bodily fluids

• Options
    Oh wait, the game hasn't started yet?

• Options
    I've only seen the Tabletop version of this, but it occurs to me that you're probably accurately describing one of the win conditions.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    doh I missed my chance to be the Governor

oh well,

Egos on
  • Options
    Ok, I think, we can close signups. I have 7 players, so I'll roll d100 for everyone, five highest will be chosen. The rolls also determine the sitting order.
    Geth roll 1d100 for Grunt's Ghosts
    Geth roll 1d100 for Kirindal
    Geth roll 1d100 for Mikey CTS
    Geth roll 1d100 for El Skid
    Geth roll 1d100 for Void Slayer
    Geth roll 1d100 for MrBody
    Geth roll 1d100 for JPants

Grunt's Ghosts:
    1d100 4 [1d100=4]
    Kirindal:
    1d100 1 [1d100=1]
    Mikey CTS:
    1d100 69 [1d100=69]
    El Skid:
    1d100 90 [1d100=90]
    Void Slayer:
    1d100 94 [1d100=94]
    MrBody:
    1d100 83 [1d100=83]
    JPants:
    1d100 55 [1d100=55]

• Options
    So, we have:
    Void Slayer
    El Skid
    MrBody
    Mikey CTS
    JPants

Grunt's Ghosts and Kirindal, sorry, you have not surivive the zombie apocalypsis.

• Options
    I'm starting to set the game up. It could take awhile.

• Options
    Ok, selecting the main objective:

Eight weeks of darkness
    Kill them
    Find a cure
    Stokpile
    Home sweet home
    Raiding party
    Leave it all behind
    We need more samples
    Winter has come
    Too many mouths

Geth roll 1d10 for main objective

main objective:
    1d10 6 [1d10=6]

• Options
    Main objective:
    ro0rwydp0ggk.png

• Options
    Sending personal secret objectives to everyone...
    You must keep them secret!

• Options
    Sending items...

• Options
    Sending survivors. Every player gets 4 survivors and must choose 2 of them. Then choose one of those 2 as your leader. Note that the player whose leader has the highest influence will take the first turn.

• Options
    Survivors sent, @Void Slayer, @MrBody, @Mikey CTS, @JPants.
    El Skid already selected.

• Options
    Survivors selected.

• Options
    We're keeping the "mature" cards, right?

It's vitally important for my fan fiction.

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    We're keeping the "mature" cards, right?
    Sure. We could even remove all childish crap, if you wish :)

• Options
    Nah, that's part of the games charm. You can have all that boning and ridiculous stuff happening to a background of tension and stress.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    The most disturbing instance along those lines was Last Night on Earth having the "if a male and female character are in the same space, they lose a turn to bone" card played when a teenage girl and her boyfriend's father were on the same space :x

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    2 questions:

- Reading the rules it sounds like having a traitor isn't guaranteed?
    - What's the symbol distribution on the wound die?

MrBody on
  • Options
    Basically, we had 15 cards - 10 "good" and 5 traitors, and then I dealt 5 of them. So, it's possible that there is no traitor, or all 5 traitors.
    See Rolling dice spoiler in the starting post.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Daemonis wrote: »
    Basically, we had 15 cards - 10 "good" and 5 traitors, and then I dealt 5 of them. So, it's possible that there is no traitor, or all 5 traitors.
    See Rolling dice spoiler in the starting post.

That's....not how I understood this at all.

In the rules it says:

Regular Setup instructions:

Shuffle the non-betrayal secret objective cards and set
    aside 2 (facedown) per player. Return the rest of the
    non-betrayal cards to the game box. Shuffle the betrayal
    secret objective cards and add 1 of them (facedown) to
    the non-betrayal cards that were set aside. Return the
    remainder of the betrayal secret objective cards in the
    game box. Shuffle all of the set aside cards together
    and deal 1 to each player

BETRAYER VARIANT
    During the setup players may choose to add only 1 non-
    betrayal secret objective per player rather than 2, greatly
    increasing the odds of a betrayer

So my understanding is that regularily you'd have 10 good objectives and 1 traitor dealt among 5 players. In the betrayer variant you'd have 5 good objectives and 1 traitor one dealt among 5 players.

If we have more than 1 traitor the game will just explode for anyone who isn't a traitor, so I think I'd like to try the betrayer variant above please- not what you explained in the above post D:

El Skid on
  • Options
    Characters selected, I think you will all be pleased with the two I kept.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    El Skid wrote: »
    So my understanding is that regularily you'd have 10 good objectives and 1 traitor dealt among 5 players. In the betrayer variant you'd have 5 good objectives and 1 traitor one dealt among 5 players.

If we have more than 1 traitor the game will just explode for anyone who isn't a traitor, so I think I'd like to try the betrayer variant above please- not what you explained in the above post D:
    Oh, Lord! You are right...
    I've checked your objectives. There is no more than 1 traitor, so I'll keep everything as is. Thanks for correction!

Daemonis on
  • Options
    ... Well, I guess we know for certain now that someone is a traitor.

• Options
    No worries, glad it ended up working out okay :D

• Options
    Mikey CTS wrote: »

Ugh. I don't have the drive to do the math, but before we only had a 16% chance of having no traitors. Given we know that we can eliminate all outcomes that have multiple traitors from this problem, are the odds much lower now?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Strictly, I think what the host meant was "there weren't two or more traitors." You might have none!

• Options
    Geez, can you imagine a game with 5 traitors all accusing each other and working towards ruining the game without looking like it?

Madness.

• Options
    I was just PMing with Daemonis about the BSG boardgame I played with friends where I accidentally made 4 out of the 5 players cylons. It... didn't end well for the humans haha.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

Strictly, I think what the host meant was "there weren't two or more traitors." You might have none!
    You still have about 8% chance of no traitor.

• Options
    I was just PMing with Daemonis about the BSG boardgame I played with friends where I accidentally made 4 out of the 5 players cylons. It... didn't end well for the humans haha.

Did they even jump once?

• Options

Did they even jump once?

Everyone was so intent on not being caught they all stayed hidden until the sleeper phase. After the second Cylon revealed I looked at my Cylon loyalty card, groaned and we all had a good laugh about it. :)

• Options
    If someone gets bit by a zombie and doesn't turn, does that mean they're a Cylon?