As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Need for Speed (2015)] Nocturnal Urban Open World Car Tuning Car Culture Racing Videogame

BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito EnthusiastPSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
edited May 2015 in Games and Technology

The full reveal happens at EA's E3 conference. It looks like it'll try and mix the best elements of the Underground and Hot Pursuit titles, with a silly car culture storyline in the vein of the first Fast and Furious movie - set in a nocturnal urban open world that looks a lot like Los Angeles. It's built in the same iteration of the Frostbite Engine DICE uses for Battlefront, which probably means Ghost Studios is using photogrammetry technology for that insane level of detail evident in the teaser trailer. I'll believe it, when I see it running on my PS4.

I fell in love with the Need for Speed franchise with Criterion's Hot Pursuit reboot. I also loved their take on Most Wanted. These two games have been some of the most pure fun obessive highscore hunting I've done in this last decade. I'm an unabashed fan of asynchronous Autolog competition. I had high hopes for Rivals, which sadly disappointed me because the tedium its *seamless online multiplayer* design forcefully introduced messed with my obsessive compulsive high score hunting. The driving physics felt also rather flat in comparison to Most Wanted, and the drifting was nowhere near as genius as Hot Pursuit's, which was the best arcade drifting game that ever was - what Ridge Racer would have turned out to be, if Namco knew what it was doing with Ridge Racer.

Sure, that teaser trailer gives us barely anything to go on, but that car horn honking hip hop melody is giving me a great tingling vibe in the back of my head somehow. It certainly made me smirk and smile. Might just be wishful thinking. I hope I'll experience as much joy with the upcoming Need for Speed game as I did with Criterion's Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted games. I'm giddy for a fresh run with Need for Speed. Bring it!

BranniganSepp on

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I've been a sucker for the Need for Speed franchise since NFS III: Hot Pursuit...granted, I have skipped around a bit with the games (NFS3 -> Underground -> Hot Pursuit 2 on PS2-> SHIFT -> SHIFT 2 -> Hot Pursuit (reboot) -> Most Wanted -> Rivals (as despised as it was, I really liked Rivals)), but it was Underground that hooked me into the series. I'm hoping to mod the ever living shit out of my old car (Honda Civic) and turn it into a street competitor (in the game, of course).

Depending on how I like it, I have a feeling I'm going to get triple-dipped on this one (PC, XBone, and PS4)

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Geth
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I'd like to see a return of visual car modding. It's been far too long since a game allowed me to make ordinary cars look ridiculous (well, in a dedicated racing game. Saints Row 4 does a pretty good job at this)

steam_sig.png
    SorceDockenTransporter
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Bring back the cast of Underground/Most Wanted franchises, and I'm sold.

sig.gif
    DockenNocren
  • DockenDocken Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Bring back the cast of Underground/Most Wanted franchises, and I'm sold.

Basically this, the modding of underground and the cop chases in the non reboot Most Wanted were the best thing ever.

Getting any of that right and things are looking up.

TeeMan
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Open world =instant lack of interest from myself.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Open world =instant lack of interest from myself.

Could be optional in the way that Hot Pursuit is

steam_sig.png
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Still, I'm much more a fan of finely crafted linear tracks than ones dumped in an open world environment. I didn't take to Hot Pursuit at all.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited May 2015
    Underground/Most Wanted did it right, I think. Like, you could race your friends/randoms on specific tracks, but the open world stuff was strictly single-player. And no Autolog.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Sorce wrote: »
    Underground/Most Wanted did it right, I think. Like, you could race your friends/randoms on specific tracks, but the open world stuff was strictly single-player. And no Autolog.

What's the downside of Autolog? There's none I can think of. All it does is surface friendlist leaderboard data to create competition. If you don't like what it does, it's easily ignored.

BranniganSepp on
    ErlkönigGaslight
    No Autolog was me being bitchy.

Leaderboard stuff is fine, of course; it was just attached to other stuff I wasn't really a fan of. Dislike by proxy.

sig.gif
  • BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKd25Ydmh6Y

Bosman is just being polite. That fucking camera is fucking atrocious. Ruins what otherwise looks like a fucking stellar Need for Speed game. I play games to feel like I'm in control, not to get sea sick. If that camera is still that idiotic in the final release, that's just them being a pig-headed stubborn bunch of baboons. I guess one could say the same about the always-online seamless multiplayer shit that already marred my enjoyment of Rivals, just to a lesser extent (at least for me).

Ugh. I want Need for Speed to be good. I need it to be good. Right now, I'm super skeptical. I don't think the Ghost guys know what they're doing. Seriously - how can anybody with a modicum of talent consider that camera valid design? Guess this game won't be bought at release, or at full price. I might never get this game, if that's how it ships. My confidence in this game has been shaken most thoroughly.

BranniganSepp on
    TeeMan
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKd25Ydmh6Y

Bosman is just being polite. That fucking camera is fucking atrocious. Ruins what otherwise looks like a fucking stellar Need for Speed game. I play games to feel like I'm in control, not to get sea sick. If that camera is still that idiotic in the final release, that's just them being a pig-headed stubborn bunch of baboons. I guess one could say the same about the always-online seamless multiplayer shit that already marred my enjoyment of Rivals, just to a lesser extent (at least for me).

Ugh. I want Need for Speed to be good. I need it to be good. Right now, I'm super skeptical. I don't think the Ghost guys know what they're doing. Seriously - how can anybody with a modicum of talent consider that camera valid design? Guess this game won't be bought at release, or at full price. I might never get this game, if that's how it ships. My confidence in this game has been shaken most thoroughly.

Maybe they had inappropriate fantasies of living in a Gyruss cabinet as a child? Hopefully there'll be an option to turn tube-o-vision off.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    ...was that Lucky and Sam?

sig.gif
    edited August 2015
    Finally some decent direct feed gameplay footage of the game. I was super worried about the silly action cam EA used when showing off the game at E3, luckily that's just one of many cameras. I also felt quite uneasy about the whole *Grip/Drift* customization slider, but apparently that's just a simplified way to interact with the insanely in-depth car customization/tuning, which puts games like Gran Tourismo and Forza to shame, it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc9adUQwKL0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX00eD73K18
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8D5KPcIT7Q

Still not quite sold on the *Night Only* aspect of the game. I enjoy sunshine and colors in general. That Frostbite Engine though. Jeez. Talk about next gen lighting effects. Crazy!

BranniganSepp on
    desc
    I can make a Sil-80, then paint it blue?

GOTY, all years.

sig.gif
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    The whole arcade drift through turns then hit the magic boost button gameplay never really appeals that much to me, but the sheer ridiculousness of the NFS series compels me to play them.

The fellow uploaded two additional videos. I really hope there's at least one 3rd person camera that's fixed to the car, rather than to where I'm going. Eversince Ridge Racer, that's what feels right to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGIiPAL1y9k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chs9Ef_xXKk

That customisation is incredible!

steam_sig.png
    Sorce
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    So is there any word on how big the city map for free roam in this is going to be?

And is it all urban streets, or is there some highway too? All I've seen in videos so far is more inner city but I haven't watched every gameplay video out there yet. Basically I want some long flowing highway to play on like in the Hot Pursuit reboot, some Wangan Midnight mixed into my Fast and Furious.

Gaslight on
    edited August 2015
    Gaslight wrote: »
    So is there any word on how big the city map for free roam in this is going to be?

And is it all urban streets, or is there some highway too? All I've seen in videos so far is more inner city but I haven't watched every gameplay video out there yet. Basically I want some long flowing highway to play on like in the Hot Pursuit reboot, some Wangan Midnight mixed into my Fast and Furious.

Supposedly there's some countryside and hills in there too. At least I remember having heard something to that end in some video interview from E3 and/or GamesCom.

BranniganSepp on
    I would hope so, since previous games in the franchise had highway routes in the world.

sig.gif
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Looks a lot like Underground, which...alright man, bring it on. That and Tokyo Xtreme Racer are my two all-time favorite racers in terms of environment, so the night-only thing is perfect.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Tokyo Extreme Racer is actually a good example of what I'd like to see a little more of in these videos. I've still seen enough to make this a probable buy though.

2 out of my top 3 or 4 most anticipated games are now EA/Origin titles. I have deeply conflicted feelings about that.

edited September 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y32dfdsznFc

This trailer has me finally sold. Guess I'll cram in a week of extreme Need for Speed before Fallout 4 comes out. The first person *Speed* section in particular. So fast. So pretty.

BranniganSepp on
    Sorce
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Just spent a couple hours in the beta running this weekend and it is so damn good.

TeeManSorceBranniganSepp
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Just spent a couple hours in the beta running this weekend and it is so damn good.

Tell us more!

Also - I seem to have missed the latest trailer. It's a Mazda Tuning simulator, it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3gy5_fzW6g

SorceTeeMan
    edited October 2015
    Played some of the campaign mode up to level 8 "rep". You pick one of three cars that are crap to begin with but after a couple events you can start buying parts for it to get it competitive. Car upgrades are fairly linear, as seen in the vids you can move a slider around to quickly change setup for doing different style events. Lots of customization options and it basically has the exact same wrap editor as Forza. Didn't look to see if you can share designs. The game does lean heavily on drifting/Ken Block style events so if you don't like those probably going to be a big turn off. There are plenty of point to point and circuit style races, plus the cops will chase you during and outside of events. City seems a little bit smaller than Los Santos in GTA V split into three areas.

Looked around at other comments in other forums and see a lot of complaining about various things in the game. There are some legit complaints (poor sense of speed, "lifeless" city, rubberbanding AI) but overall I had a very good time playing. The FMV stuff is super corny and tries way too hard to be "street" but I was ok with it. Since I rarely use my Xbone I don't have Live sub active so didn't check out any multi.

EDIT: They did that thing where they have your gamertag randomly pop up on screen at all times to try to prevent any vids of gameplay getting out.

Dirtyboy on
    Played some of the campaign mode up to level 8 "rep". You pick one of three cars that are crap to begin with but after a couple events you can start buying parts for it to get it competitive. Car upgrades are fairly linear, as seen in the vids you can move a slider around to quickly change setup for doing different style events. Lots of customization options and it basically has the exact same wrap editor as Forza. Didn't look to see if you can share designs. The game does lean heavily on drifting/Ken Block style events so if you don't like those probably going to be a big turn off. There are plenty of point to point and circuit style races, plus the cops will chase you during and outside of events. City seems a little bit smaller than Los Santos in GTA V split into three areas.

Looked around at other comments in other forums and see a lot of complaining about various things in the game. There are some legit complaints (poor sense of speed, "lifeless" city, rubberbanding AI) but overall I had a very good time playing. The FMV stuff is super corny and tries way too hard to be "street" but I was ok with it. Since I rarely use my Xbone I don't have Live sub active so didn't check out any multi.

EDIT: They did that thing where they have your gamertag randomly pop up on screen at all times to try to prevent any vids of gameplay getting out.

Poor sense of speed? How so? It looked plenty fast in the gameplay vids I've seen thus far, especially in first person/hood views.

edited October 2015
    Apparently Need for Speed is now available for EA Access subscribers. I need to hear more first hand impressions. Timing-wise, its release is suboptimal, coming out a mere 5 days before Fallout 4 in Europe (why EA still releases games 2 days late in Europe, I can't for the life of me figure out), but from what I've seen, I might throw reason out of the window, and just enjoy it for as much as I can, before Fallout 4 will inevitably consume my life... for a week. Nothing will stop me from getting sucked into an endless spiral of spawns and deaths in epic space battles in Star Wars Battlefront.

Ah jeez. It's really hard to justify a Need for Speed purchase in the same month as Fallout 4 and Battlefront. Why didn't it come out in October, which was shamefully underserved AAA games-wise. It would have been perfect, I could have easily dedicated a whole month to it.

Here's Westie's first impressions video, I'm sure a whole lot more of these will hit today. Just be good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uceClwCFA5c

BranniganSepp on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6X1Aqydlys

Gamespot did a 1 hour long Now Playing. Guess I'll watch that working out tomorrow.

May have already been answered, but do we know if this is getting a release on Steam?

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2015
    TeeMan wrote: »
    May have already been answered, but do we know if this is getting a release on Steam?

It's Origin :P

EDIT: PC version won't be out for months (spring 2016).

Dirtyboy on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrGerC92uaM

The McElroy borthers exploring some Need for Speed on EA Access.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Timing-wise, its release is suboptimal.

Ah jeez. It's really hard to justify a Need for Speed purchase in the same month as Fallout 4 and Battlefront. Why didn't it come out in October, which was shamefully underserved AAA games-wise. It would have been perfect, I could have easily dedicated a whole month to it.

Yea, I want to play this bad but can't fit it in at the moment. Also I think every NFS game in recent memory has been $30 on Black Friday, so I'll wait and see if I can get a deal on it. It looks real cool though.

TeeMan wrote: »

It's Origin :P

EDIT: PC version won't be out for months (spring 2016).

Bah! Hype dissolved in an instant

steam_sig.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Okay, so 2 or 3 hours in:

I'm not going to lie: I love how silly and cheesy these cutscenes are. I'm all in on this energy drink-soaked vision of "tuner culture."

Driving is no Forza, but it seems fine as an arcade racer. Past games seemed like "very binary on/off drifting through turns, then cartoony nitrous oxide, drift, nitrous." I haven't actually installed one of the dumb nitrous tanks which are usually my main mechanical complaints with these games -- you push a button and the millennium falcon jumps to hyperspace. I've been using the Civic Type R (JDM tyte, yo) tuned mainly for grip and it seems willing to let me drive the way I want so far. I'll have to tweak it for drifting to try some of Manu's missions.

I like open world racing in general and the city has a very functional mix of tighter areas and open freeways. I like it.

It seems like they just went down the checklist of classic NFS ingredients after Mis-stepping with Shift (are they really trying to compete with Forza and Gran Turismo?) and Rivals was just bad.

You've got goofy characters and cutscenes (and you don't spend half the game watching the camera perv on Maggie Q this time), you've got a city at night (damp, shiny streets mandatory), and you've got arcadey hatchbacks with ridiculous body kits.

Seems like a return to form, overall. I don't really see any other titles I want this year now that Halo is out, so I think I'll probably buy it.

Personally, I would love to see them push this narrative thing even more to differentiate themselves from the other race games. They come back to this cops-vs-racers theme a lot. What about a game with simple single choice A or B cutscene branch now and then to choose to side with the cops or the street racers? Or just choosing amongst a few factional options before you go drifting down a mountain road? You could have affinity with the Drift Guy vs the Grip Guy unlock a few cosmetic and mechanical parts. I would be all over that.

BRIAN BLESSED
    Considering that I have zero interest in Fallout 4, NFS is definitely on my "Most Likely Going To Buy" list. It really is unfortunate that its launch is sandwiched between Halo 5 and StarCraft 2, though. But, since I tend towards a slightly-hoarding personality type when it comes to games, I'll probably pick it up and casually play it between shooting the Covenant and commanding my Protoss troops.

edited October 2015
    desc wrote: »
    Okay, so 2 or 3 hours in:

I'm not going to lie: I love how silly and cheesy these cutscenes are. I'm all in on this energy drink-soaked vision of "tuner culture."

You know, it totally worked on me. I watched Giant Bomb's quicklook of the game, and all the talk about Monster, and it being plastered all over the game - I totally went out and bought a giant can of Monster and some gummi candy, because it's Halloween and why the fuck not?

I'm so over energy drinks usually, because I actually prefer sleeping at night, rather than tweeking and twitching sleeplessly in bed, but yeah, I guess product placement does work. Especially these days, when I don't watch TV or read print magazines anymore. And you know what? The ice cold Monster in a frosted mug and a handful of sweet fruit gummis? Totally delicious.

Don't know about Need for Speed though. I think I won't get it 'til next year's Summer drought. There's just too many games coming out in November that have a higher priority for me, and since I'm wont to obsess over Speedwall competition (an activity I love dearly), which requires me to have a good amount of time to sink into the game, so now's just not the right time for me - but I guess I might get another can of Monster one of these days.

Mission semi-accomplished.... I guess?

BranniganSepp on
    desc
    Since this is a reboot, are there any familiar cast members that have returned/been repurposed, or are they all new people?

sig.gif
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    So will this continue to be in EA access once release day is here?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433