As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    I do all the surveys they send me, but I'm basically just hoarding Google Play credit like some digital Smaug.

What do people spends this stuff on?

literally anything in the store? I mean, I save it, and if I have enough in credit to cover an app that I'm goign to buy, I use it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Movie rentals, albums.

Just bought Bowie's 'Station to Station' with some credit.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Just won a new Galaxy Tab A and I'm looking for a few suggestions:

First, any must have apps? There seems to be a lot of crapware but I can't get rid of that, righthe?

Second, any good keyboards for it? Preferably one with a stand. It's a 10.1" (model SM-T580)

Thanks!

• Options
    Must have apps are always around what you want to do with the device. It's hard to really say otherwise.

As for keyboards, what kind of thing are you looking for? Do you want a folio style so it's always attached, or are you good with a solution where the keyboard is a separate device?

For a separate thing, I'm really partial to the Microsoft Universal Mobile Keyboard.

https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/keyboards/universal-mobile-keyboard/p2z-00001

The keyboard is a tad cramped, but you have to make tradeoffs when you're talking about a mobile solution. I've had this for a couple years and I think it's actually really great. Has a stand for a tablet, and I actually like that it's detachable and is a separate unit. It means I'll be able to keep using it with other devices long after the devices I use it with now are gone. I actually use this with my 6P at work all the time to take meeting notes. Oh and you can pair it with 3 different devices.

If you want a folio style keyboard, Samsung might make a first party solution for it, otherwise look at Logitech, they're the next most likely to have one. *maybe* Zagg, but there aren't a ton of options there.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Armoroc wrote: »
    Has the Google rewards app been glitching for anyone else? I keep my GPS on and I went to the DMV today and it kept spamming about my experience there. So.... I got 2 dollars worth of surveys today so that was cool :cool:

mine had none then all of sudden it gave me 3 surveys

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Must have apps are always around what you want to do with the device. It's hard to really say otherwise.

As for keyboards, what kind of thing are you looking for? Do you want a folio style so it's always attached, or are you good with a solution where the keyboard is a separate device?

For a separate thing, I'm really partial to the Microsoft Universal Mobile Keyboard.

https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/keyboards/universal-mobile-keyboard/p2z-00001

The keyboard is a tad cramped, but you have to make tradeoffs when you're talking about a mobile solution. I've had this for a couple years and I think it's actually really great. Has a stand for a tablet, and I actually like that it's detachable and is a separate unit. It means I'll be able to keep using it with other devices long after the devices I use it with now are gone. I actually use this with my 6P at work all the time to take meeting notes. Oh and you can pair it with 3 different devices.

If you want a folio style keyboard, Samsung might make a first party solution for it, otherwise look at Logitech, they're the next most likely to have one. *maybe* Zagg, but there aren't a ton of options there.

I was hoping for a folio-type one.

I like the one Microsoft has for the Surface line, if there's an equivalent one for my tablet.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I do all the surveys they send me, but I'm basically just hoarding Google Play credit like some digital Smaug.

Movie rentals, pro versions of apps that I like, jewels in Pokemon Shuffle and Duel, etc.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    So far I got another 2 bucks worth of surveys because it kept asking me about where I work. It has stopped already though so no more free money :biggrin:
    I don't even know what I want off the play store. Ehhh I'll look into buying a full album.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I think the only thing I've purchased is a music album so I've got like $17 just sitting there with nothing to really use it on. I already have the apps I want, I use Kindle for books, but I could use it to rent movies. I completely forgot you can do that through Youtube/Play Movies or whatever.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Record Keeper fun bucks.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

I was hoping for a folio-type one.

I like the one Microsoft has for the Surface line, if there's an equivalent one for my tablet.

then your best bet is to look at any first party options from samsung, or maybe some 3rd parties will have one for that specific model.

I'll say straight up that folio style keyboards are not that common on Android tablets because of a combination of sheer volume of models combined with low sales. There just isn't really a market for them.

• Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    Agreed, you might be in luck because it's Samsung but for the most part you're not going to find something quite like the surface and its keyboard

• Options
    I ended up getting one of these.

I'm still at work so I haven't tried it out yet, but the keyboard is nice and so is the case itself.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    I've been looking to replace my Sony Z3, but nothing's really stood out to me yet. The Pixel is over $1k for the base model here, otherwise I'd totally buy it. I'm still tempted by the Sony XZ, though, and I already have a Galaxy S7 from work... :?

工事中
  • Options
    I ended up getting one of these.

I'm still at work so I haven't tried it out yet, but the keyboard is nice and so is the case itself.

Testing out my new keyboard and case. This is pretty slick. There's zero delay in typing and it paired right away.

$28 well spent, IMO.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Cokebotle Moto Z?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2017
    so apparently the note 7 batteries caused a fire at a samsung affiliate disposal warehouse? http://www.reuters.com/article/samsung-sdi-batteries-fire-idUSL4N1FT3BX

zerzhul on
  • Options
    I can't even with how hilarious that is.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    ok, somehow i snapped my screen protector on my OP3T. In less than like 4wks. Really have no idea how that happened, but I want to get a new one, and since it didn't last very long, i think i might go with an alternate vendor.

this was my first tempered glass protector so can anyone suggest a good supplier

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Cokebotle Moto Z?

Ah, I forgot about the Moto! The Z has modular add-ons right?

工事中
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Cokebotle Moto Z?

Ah, I forgot about the Moto! The Z has modular add-ons right?

Yes. Add-ons are expensive and if you're cynical, the phone was reduced to promote the add-ons; like only on-board mono sound.

Still a good phone so far.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Verizon called my phone last week (didn't recognize the number so I didn't answer, caller didn't leave a message). Called them back Tuesday after seeing the XDA thread with that number and told the rep about being called from that number and later reading it was for people who experienced shipping delays for some Pixel models.

True to what the XDA and reddit threads were saying, they offered me a free Daydream View. Verizon never sent any texts or emails but I checked my account and it shipped today and should be here tomorrow.

My delay wasn't even that bad...I was expecting a 1/06/17 ship date and despite getting the March e-mail (I think all of us were told 3/10/17) it actually shipped on January 11th.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    is es file explorer still the best option? i'm looking to just be able to manage (and open) files on my kindle fire, specifically .pdf's, but as far as i can tell there is no way to natively do this without installing something.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    is es file explorer still the best option?
    No. A bad redesign and some horrendous advertising on the lock screen made me ditch it.

If you were on an Android device I'd recommend Solid Explorer, but I'm not sure what the options are for Fire OS. It isn't a PDF viewer, though.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    No. A bad redesign and some horrendous advertising on the lock screen made me ditch it.

If you were on an Android device I'd recommend Solid Explorer, but I'm not sure what the options are for Fire OS. It isn't a PDF viewer, though.

that's unfortunate. i did see some similar things mentioned in other places after i posted. i can view the pdf's if i dump them on internal storage as the native kindle reader can open them. the issue is that it doesn't appear to be able to read from external storage. aside from es file explorer there were a couple of other highly rated apps, but i wanted to ask here first

• Options
    I use Amaze for my explorer needs.

• Options

that's unfortunate. i did see some similar things mentioned in other places after i posted. i can view the pdf's if i dump them on internal storage as the native kindle reader can open them. the issue is that it doesn't appear to be able to read from external storage. aside from es file explorer there were a couple of other highly rated apps, but i wanted to ask here first

My understanding on ES File Explorer is that they were bought out and promptly filled with bloatware crap.

Solid Explorer is quite good, though, if it's available for Fire OS. Alternatively, is Xobo PDF on Fire OS?

工事中
  • Options

amaze is an available option, but all the complaints about it seem to be the same people are mentioning here about ES file explorer (banner/popup ads).

My understanding on ES File Explorer is that they were bought out and promptly filled with bloatware crap.

Solid Explorer is quite good, though, if it's available for Fire OS. Alternatively, is Xobo PDF on Fire OS?

unfortunately both of these are unavailable as far as i can tell. ER explorer and ES file explorer are the returns when searching for solid explorer.

• Options
    Amaze is open source, it looks like the one available through Amazon is an unofficial release by a third party.

• Options

amaze is an available option, but all the complaints about it seem to be the same people are mentioning here about ES file explorer (banner/popup ads).

Really? I've never seen so much as a single ad.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Amaze is open source, it looks like the one available through Amazon is an unofficial release by a third party.

hm, that may be the problem then. this is turning into more of a chore than i anticipated

edit: so the actual goal here is for me to be able to download and read comics offline. anyone have experience with comicat by meanlabs software?

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Possibly stupid question: Amazon sells android phones discounted with adware lockscreens. Can you not just root these phones and go back to a stock OS?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Yes.

• Options
    Hm... I'm working in Singapore for a couple weeks, and they have a 64gb Xperia XZ on sale here for cheaper than the 32gb back in Australia.

Downside - it's a (hybrid) dual SIM. Anyone familiar with Sony dual SIM phones have any comments about update reliability? Ie, the dual SIM version being largely ignored, etc...

工事中
  • Options
    Hm... I'm working in Singapore for a couple weeks, and they have a 64gb Xperia XZ on sale here for cheaper than the 32gb back in Australia.

Downside - it's a (hybrid) dual SIM. Anyone familiar with Sony dual SIM phones have any comments about update reliability? Ie, the dual SIM version being largely ignored, etc...

You;d have to look up that model specifically, but dual SIM phones are not inherently much different than single SIM phones. There's one little bit of software that allows for switching between them, but not much else is different.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    So I know there has been a lot of talk about cables not meeting USB C specs, but does the same apply to adapters? I want to plug my USB C Nexus 5x into my USB A computer, but dont really want to risk frying anything...

• Options
    So I know there has been a lot of talk about cables not meeting USB C specs, but does the same apply to adapters? I want to plug my USB C Nexus 5x into my USB A computer, but dont really want to risk frying anything...

if the cable is fine the computer is fine.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

if the cable is fine the computer is fine.

Check this site:
    http://bensonapproved.com/
    And here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/3robzo/google_spreadsheet_for_usbc_cables_with_benson/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/57gkfo/nathan_k_google_tc_and_benson_leung_have_created/

I use these Aukey ones, which were on the approved list, and they work fine.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B634WNK

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    that list is good but probably less necessary than it was a year ago. I think as long as you're buying a "brand name" cable (and I consider Anker and Aukey as Brand names for this purpose) you should be fine now.

• Options
    So I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the laptop thread, but this one gets more views so here it goes...

I'm looking at getting my son (6) a Chromebook for his birthday. He has a 7" tablet right now that he uses for mostly Hulu, Netflix and YouTube for Kids and a few apps here and there. Any suggestions on decent Chromebooks that support the Play store and apps that don't cost $texas?

I'd also like to be able to lock it down, if possible, so he can't install stuff without my permission.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.