As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Basar wrote: »
    SirToasty wrote: »
    I like mine as well. The only battery issue I have is that battery saver does exactly the opposite of what it should do. It could go from 15 to zero in an instant. Not all of them are having this issue though.

As far as I know this is typical for a lot of phones after a year or so of heavy usage. My iPhone 5s has been doing the same after its first year of use. I guess manufacturers still haven't found a fix for it.

I haven't had the phone for quite a year yet, it didn't come up until the 7.0 update, and it's worse than on my last phone (S4). Having battery saver off actually last longer.

I can live with it since the battery life is good otherwise. Also huge phones are amazing!

• Options
    Has anyone had experience reapplying the oleophobic coating on phone screens? If so, what did you use and it's it worth it?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I mean, there's really no replacing a Note. But the damn things explode so...

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Got my 6P yesterday. Pretty happy with it so far. The fingerprint sensor is a real game changer for me. I feel like that alone is worth the upgrade.

However, I do miss all the customization features that cyanogen mod had. Can anyone recommend some free/cheap customization apps or options? Stuff like being able to change the size of home screen icons (without changing the size of everything else), that kind of thing. I don't mind spending a few bucks if necessary.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Nova Launcher will let you do that (and more).

• Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    Got my 6P yesterday. Pretty happy with it so far. The fingerprint sensor is a real game changer for me. I feel like that alone is worth the upgrade.

However, I do miss all the customization features that cyanogen mod had. Can anyone recommend some free/cheap customization apps or options? Stuff like being able to change the size of home screen icons (without changing the size of everything else), that kind of thing. I don't mind spending a few bucks if necessary.

Cool. Enjoy your new phone. I hope to get mine in a few weeks.

Are you planning on using a case? If yes, which one? My current phone (5s) has been vigorously protected by the Spigen Armor case so if you haven't decided yet, I can definitely recommend Spigen's Armor series.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Mugsley wrote: »

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.
    Basar wrote: »

Cool. Enjoy your new phone. I hope to get mine in a few weeks.

Are you planning on using a case? If yes, which one? My current phone (5s) has been vigorously protected by the Spigen Armor case so if you haven't decided yet, I can definitely recommend Spigen's Armor series.

I've got this case coming in the mail:
    ZnGdtME.jpg
    More form over function, but I really like the look of wood. I've got a glass screen protector on it already - being pretty gentle with it until the case gets here though for sure. I've also found that, so far, fi has given me a much better mobile connection at home and around town.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    Yeah that's a nice case. I am just not very good with keeping the phone in my hands so I think function will prevail in my choice :)

I am not very familiar with fi as I think it's a US only thing but as far as coverage, we have %99.99 4G coverage in Istanbul so not a big selling point for me.

Anyways mate, enjoy the phone. Would love to hear your thoughts after a couple of weeks of use. Cheers.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Fi is pretty great, but I've had some dropped calls recently and I basically just traverse major thoroughfares in the Bay Area (actually I think all of the dropped calls have been along the 680). I haven't had that issue with my Verizon phone.

Although today call quality on my Verizon phone was noticeably worse than the call quality on my Fi phone.

Also, rear finger print scanner is civilization. I love it on my 5x and I really hope it becomes a Thing on all Android phones (or at least makes its way to the new Note).

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Nova Launcher is basically the "I like the Google launcher, but I wish it could do this" launcher.

• Options
    Ok so my plan to get the Nexus 6P from Dubai failed. Apparently the $200 price tag was for a refurbished Nexus 5X. My sister had misread the label last time she was there :( Oh well.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    So my LG G4 finally fell to the known crash-loop bug. So long, I hardly abused ye.

Since I'm impatient I went tonight and got a Moto Z from the Verizon store. Between paying off the cheap MIL phone we have on our plan and Verizon's screw-you fee, it cost me $100 but it's a few bucks to switch plus have that phone paid off now.

Seems like a good phone, very thin, but sales lady neglected to mention the lack of headphone jack. I researched phones for a hot minute at work and the Z looked OK but I didn't notice that detail. Should be fine, just have to get some BT earbuds.

• Options
    I've heard good things about some of the backs. A lot of people felt the battery one was nearly an auto-include.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    My LG G4 bootlooped in early Jan. I had made up my mind that once they repaired it I would trade up to a Pixel. But they sent me a brand new one instead, and the ones manufactured recently don't have the bootloop defect. I love the G4, so I think I'll keep this until the next gen Pixel.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I think my 6P is starting to have bending issues... the gasket behind the glass is starting to protrude up around the upper right corner of the phone. I threw it in a case for now to hold it together but I guess I'm going to have to look into using the warranty.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    My LG G4 bootlooped in early Jan. I had made up my mind that once they repaired it I would trade up to a Pixel. But they sent me a brand new one instead, and the ones manufactured recently don't have the bootloop defect. I love the G4, so I think I'll keep this until the next gen Pixel.

Yeah it was a good phone, I just didn't want to deal with it and the X seemed like a solid upgrade.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    So with the Pixel XL being delayed for infinity more weeks and the Galaxy S8 coming out in March (supposedly), which one should I get? I'm upgrading from an S6 Edge and I had my eye on the XL, but I've heard some good things about the S8, too.

• Options
    Note 8

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    So with the Pixel XL being delayed for infinity more weeks and the Galaxy S8 coming out in March (supposedly), which one should I get? I'm upgrading from an S6 Edge and I had my eye on the XL, but I've heard some good things about the S8, too.

Are you dead set on the XL? I was, but then I actually held the plain Pixel, and I dunno, it feels way nicer in the end. More premium, maybe due to the slightly more compact form factor. I didn't end up getting a Pixel at all in the end as above, but I had planned on the regular pixel.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I mean, when March comes around and you still don't have a Pixel, I guess that will answer your question.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Super happy with my 6p and with google fi so far. My reception at home is so much better now, it's great. And my car headset pairs perfectly every time (something my 1+1 had some issues with).

I also had cause to call the fi support this morning and was really impressed. A setting in textra was preventing me from getting MMS, and despite it being 3rd party and all that, googlebro knew the problem instantly and walked me through how to fix it. I was going kinda crazy trying to find an APN setting and it turns out they're automatic on fi.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    So I feel like my mom is ready to graduate from iOS, with her iPad 2 being slow, managing her stuff with iTunes is a pain, and her Candy Crush keeps on crashing. Are there any good Android tablets at the vicinity of the price of the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016, 10.1")? Because that's what I'm currently looking at.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    So I feel like my mom is ready to graduate from iOS, with her iPad 2 being slow, managing her stuff with iTunes is a pain, and her Candy Crush keeps on crashing. Are there any good Android tablets at the vicinity of the price of the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016, 10.1")? Because that's what I'm currently looking at.

Android tablets are kind of a tire fire right now. Samsung is really the only ones making any, even though they're putting essentially no effort into them.

it *might* be worth looking at the shield tablet, but the 8" screen at 16:9 might not be great if she's used to the iPad's screen size.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I would just get a new iPad if she's used to it.

If the only reason for her to move on from iOS is that her iPad2 is slow, then upgrade to the newest iPad. Don't make her relearn an entire new interface just because YOU prefer it. Especially since Android tablets, like wunderbar says, are pretty pointless right now.

Now, if she's the one who said she wants to move off iOS, then by all means, help her pick the best choice.

That's probably going to be a Surface, though, not an Android tablet.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    My only problem with FI is that if you have the strongest WiFi connection in the world and the most miniscule carrier connection, the freaking phone will try to bend space and time in its attempts to make that call through the carrier signal. It's absolutely frustrating having to redial over and over and over hoping that the carrier signal will be lost for a second so it can make a VOIP call.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Yeaaaah the iOS -> Android switch was all me. I was hoping her Apple experience would be enough to make the switch to Android be easy. Sucks that the Android tab scene isn't too hot right now.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

Android tablets are kind of a tire fire right now. Samsung is really the only ones making any, even though they're putting essentially no effort into them.

it *might* be worth looking at the shield tablet, but the 8" screen at 16:9 might not be great if she's used to the iPad's screen size.

What about the Pixel C? (Though that's double the price, I guess. )

• Options
    Yeaaaah the iOS -> Android switch was all me. I was hoping her Apple experience would be enough to make the switch to Android be easy. Sucks that the Android tab scene isn't too hot right now.

the switch is never easy for the vast majority of people. I would never consider telling a family member to switch ecosystems if they are happy with what they have.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options

Not supported after its one generation. The hardware was very solid, but it got (software) orphaned rather quickly (I have no idea why; I'm assuming because of the netbook push, but I have no solid reasoning other than a hunch).

• Options
    My only problem with FI is that if you have the strongest WiFi connection in the world and the most miniscule carrier connection, the freaking phone will try to bend space and time in its attempts to make that call through the carrier signal. It's absolutely frustrating having to redial over and over and over hoping that the carrier signal will be lost for a second so it can make a VOIP call.

Can you just turn it on Airplane Mode and enable only Wifi? I mean it's not a fantastic fix, but it'll keep the phone from always looking for a carrier signal.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was set up the opposite way; that it would prioritize wifi over carrier(?)

• Options

Not supported after its one generation. The hardware was very solid, but it got (software) orphaned rather quickly (I have no idea why; I'm assuming because of the netbook push, but I have no solid reasoning other than a hunch).

No, it's still supported and getting updates. Google just didn't do a hardware refresh on it, which honeslty they didn't need to. It's a tegra device and nVidia hasn't released a newer Tegra processor than what's in the Pixel C since it came out, so why update the hardware?

the Pixel C's problem is that it's too expensive to get the whole package. I think the starting price is $600 if you want the tablet and keyboard.

• Options
    I like my samsung tab A quite a bit. Picked it up for pretty cheap (~$200?) at bjs last year and it's worked fine for me. Mostly just use it for browsing/reading/video with the occasional game here and there.

Nexus 6P question - does anyone know how to disable the tone that seems to play when the phone connects to a network or ends a call?

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Hey, I'm curious: what music player do folks use on their phones? I really liked WinAmp (because I'm a child of the late 90s, but also because it satisfied my needs perfectly), but that went away at some point. Right now I'm using "VLC for Android", which is OK but not ideal.

What I would like the player to do:
    - Recognize the files and folders on the filesystem as a valid form of organization, and let me explore my collection that way, instead of insisting that only mp3 metadata is a valid way to look at music (Google Music has this problem)
    - When I pause a playlist, remember where I was, and pick up from there even if I unpause much later, after doing other things with my phone (VLC often skips right back to the start of the playlist when I unpause; my theory is that it keeps "current-place-in-playlist" in memory, and if that memory gets unloaded by the OS, it forgets where it was)
    - Ideally, be able to recognize m3u playlists that I've been carrying around for a decade-and-a-half (but this isn't required)

• Options
    I like my samsung tab A quite a bit. Picked it up for pretty cheap (~$200?) at bjs last year and it's worked fine for me. Mostly just use it for browsing/reading/video with the occasional game here and there.

Nexus 6P question - does anyone know how to disable the tone that seems to play when the phone connects to a network or ends a call?

No that's carrier level stuff. I think in some places it is required by law.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Hey, I'm curious: what music player do folks use on their phones? I really liked WinAmp (because I'm a child of the late 90s, but also because it satisfied my needs perfectly), but that went away at some point. Right now I'm using "VLC for Android", which is OK but not ideal.

What I would like the player to do:
    - Recognize the files and folders on the filesystem as a valid form of organization, and let me explore my collection that way, instead of insisting that only mp3 metadata is a valid way to look at music (Google Music has this problem)
    - When I pause a playlist, remember where I was, and pick up from there even if I unpause much later, after doing other things with my phone (VLC often skips right back to the start of the playlist when I unpause; my theory is that it keeps "current-place-in-playlist" in memory, and if that memory gets unloaded by the OS, it forgets where it was)
    - Ideally, be able to recognize m3u playlists that I've been carrying around for a decade-and-a-half (but this isn't required)

Give Poweramp a try. I think there's a trial version too.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options

No that's carrier level stuff. I think in some places it is required by law.

I did a little more digging and turns out the alerts were actually coming from my SignalCheck Pro app - I guess the default setting is to play a tone when connecting/disconnecting from LTE, and since calls were going via wifi, ending a call would reconnect to LTE.

Anyway, problem solved :biggrin:

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    What are people using for screen protectors for the pixel, anyways?

Edit: To make this more clear... I'm looking at Amazon vs. the ones Google is pushing and the price difference is... a lot. And wondering if there's a reason for that or what. I've got no idea what's what with these and a recommendation would be really appreciated.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Has the Google rewards app been glitching for anyone else? I keep my GPS on and I went to the DMV today and it kept spamming about my experience there. So.... I got 2 dollars worth of surveys today so that was cool :cool:

• Options
    Armoroc wrote: »
    Has the Google rewards app been glitching for anyone else? I keep my GPS on and I went to the DMV today and it kept spamming about my experience there. So.... I got 2 dollars worth of surveys today so that was cool :cool:

No. But I wish it were.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I do all the surveys they send me, but I'm basically just hoarding Google Play credit like some digital Smaug.

What do people spends this stuff on?

This discussion has been closed.