As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Splatoon] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Looking at some videos of this and the netcode looks not great? Was interested in picking it up.

Its fine. Not a huge FPS player but Ive been playing mostly Japanese players with no issues in the actual matches .

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I've only had one disconnect and noticeable lag maybe... twice in the 2 days so far.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    This is Mario Kart 8 levels of barely noticeable lag.

Speaking of lag, I did see a really funny one. My wife is playing and I was watching. Off in the distance I see this big wave of paint start creeping into her view with no squid in sight. A few seconds later a Squidkid rounds the corner with a roller. The server has put him several seconds behind his own paint, but it looked like he was magic-ing paint ahead of him.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I'm really digging the Aerospray MG + Seeker combo. Not a big fan of the Inkzooka though.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    I'm really digging the Aerospray MG + Seeker combo. Not a big fan of the Inkzooka though.

Love love love the AMG

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
      Anyone been able to join a friend? I've tryed to join with skeldore and Fiji and not had any luck so far.

steam_sig.png
      Nintendo ID: Incindium
      PSN: IncindiumX
    • Options
      Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
      I've joined matches with Fiji, Blue and Maz, in fact I usually join games with friends if I can help it.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    • Options
      Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
      Just went 11/1 with 1100 points.

On the losing team.

• Options
      Incindium wrote: »
      Anyone been able to join a friend? I've tryed to join with skeldore and Fiji and not had any luck so far.

I've managed to join a couple but I mostly play randoms.

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
      Didn't have a ton of time to play yesterday but I played a bit last night. Multiplayer is super fun - I think I'm liking it better than the testfire even. And I am actually semi not terrible at it! I was dominating the scores at level 1 vs. some level 10ish people :P (granted I'm sure that's just luck of the draw)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    • Options
      PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      Huh, ran into a helmet item on the store today, "fake contacts." They don't have any art associated on them, if you want to go hatless but still have abilities on that slot.

persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    • Options
      Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      PMAvers wrote: »
      Huh, ran into a helmet item on the store today, "fake contacts." They don't have any art associated on them, if you want to go hatless but still have abilities on that slot.

Or you can use the hairpin from the inkling girl amiibo like the cool kids :bzz:

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    • Options
      PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      Maz- wrote: »
      PMAvers wrote: »

Or you can use the hairpin from the inkling girl amiibo like the cool kids :bzz:

See, I might, except mine hasn't arrived yet. Also, I like hats.

*ding dong*

Hang on, door...

...well, speak of the devil. Three-pack get!

persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    • Options
      Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      So far I haven't had any lag or disconnects. I'm sure it's just a matter of time but all of my dozen or so matches have been buttery smooth.

Also my 3 pack suddenly showed up out of nowhere at my door today, so yay!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • Options
      Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
      I've only had a few, the telltale sign is when your ink won't show up on the map.
      But this has got to be one of the smoothest shooter launches in a while, I'm impressed.

• Options
      Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
      edited May 2015
      For as good at killing as some of these weapons are, it feels so much better to use a weapon that spread ink well.

Sorry Blaster and Jet Squelcher

Emperor_Z on
    • Options
      I feel like such a scumbag when I use an inkstrike at the very end of a match so that it's spreading ink after the timer's run out, and we win by just a few points

• Options
      Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      I swore I'd wait and buy this later this summer but yet there it sits in a bag next to me.

• Options
      Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
      edited May 2015
      Fanmade Turf War shirt:

fwvb9pt8bdle.jpg

Mx. Quill on
    • Options
      EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
      Splattershot Jr. is my jam. So much spread. Useful bombs. BUBBLER.

But I also love the Jet Squelcher and the .52 Gal. Splash Shields are so good.

• Options
      BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
      Emperor_Z wrote: »
      For as good at killing as some of these weapons are, it feels so much better to use a weapon that spread ink well.

Sorry Blaster and Jet Squelcher

Jet squelcher is great at spreading ink
      Just not at spreading ink close to you

CD World Tour status:
      Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    • Options
      OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
      I like the roller, but on the curvier levels I just get hammered trying to use it. One of the new weapons will click eventually but I do so much better with the Splattershot/Jr's that it's hard to take time to experiment.

• Options
      cravipatcravipat CFKPW? Registered User regular
      Had a round with a charger using teammate. Spotted them spinning in a circle rapidly firing at their feet. I wanted to tell them I don't think that's the right way to use that.

I'm hopelessly addicted to the roller for now unless I come across a better shooter as I level up. I've seen a lot less roller than I did in the testfire.

nw1m8qQ.pngwNA4DEe.png6W3X2nk.png
      Super Mario Maker ID: DBB-1RH-JJG
    • Options
      Something @Ratsult2 and I found out yesterday: while I got my new shop inventory and Spyke delivery at midnight EST, he still had to wait two hours due to being in UTC.

I wonder if it can be manipulated, or if it just goes into effect via time by the internet relative to your time zone?

• Options
      edited May 2015
      What do the rewards for vibe/win streaks reset? Getting gold from Judd seems to trigger at random

Also, do the rewards scale any higher than the 1000 from SO HAWT?

Emperor_Z on
    • Options
      OptyOpty Registered User regular
      Re: lag in online games, both Splatoon and Mario Kart are of genres that are very easy to disguise lag by using prediction systems. Stuff like "you will likely continue pressing the accelerator and moving forward" or "you will likely continue swimming as a squid until you reach the end of your ink" means the game can hide lag through short (like 1 or 2 seconds long) bursts of AI controlling characters and then correcting if they were wrong.

• Options
      Opty wrote: »
      Re: lag in online games, both Splatoon and Mario Kart are of genres that are very easy to disguise lag by using prediction systems. Stuff like "you will likely continue pressing the accelerator and moving forward" or "you will likely continue swimming as a squid until you reach the end of your ink" means the game can hide lag through short (like 1 or 2 seconds long) bursts of AI controlling characters and then correcting if they were wrong.

With Mario Kart I can see that, but not with Splatoon. Hitboxes are too specific, and there's a lot more sudden movement.

• Options
      pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
      My wife and I have been taking turns in online battles. She has never liked shooters before but she loves Splatoon. She is now pricing out a second Wii U so we can play online together. She's my soul mate.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
      Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
      G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
    • Options
      NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
      What do the rewards for vibe/win streaks reset? Getting gold from Judd seems to trigger at random

Vibe/win streaks reset daily. You can only talk to Judd once about your vibe for the day.
      I turned in a 9 streak for 1400 gold, so its not 1 win to 100 gold at that level.

at 1 to 3 wins, if you lose, you only lose .5 flag. at 4 to 6, you lose 1 flag, at 6+ if you lose, you reset to 6, so be sure to really thank that fucking afk'er for killing your streak

a4irovn5uqjp.png
      Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    • Options
      OptyOpty Registered User regular
      Opty wrote: »

With Mario Kart I can see that, but not with Splatoon. Hitboxes are too specific, and there's a lot more sudden movement.

Those times of sudden movement are miniscule in comparison to all of the time you spend doing something predictable and due to the game's mechanics if it predicts incorrectly it's relatively easy to correct the mistake. This type of prediction system is used for all online shooter games, it's not something new. It's not something that can be used effectively with fighting games though which is part of the reason why Smash is so much more volatile of an online game even when you're just playing people in your own country.

• Options
      pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular

Vibe/win streaks reset daily. You can only talk to Judd once about your vibe for the day.
      I turned in a 9 streak for 1400 gold, so its not 1 win to 100 gold at that level.

at 1 to 3 wins, if you lose, you only lose .5 flag. at 4 to 6, you lose 1 flag, at 6+ if you lose, you reset to 6, so be sure to really thank that fucking afk'er for killing your streak

According to the Prima guide, you can talk to him once at each level. He'll also give you the rewards from lower levels you would have missed. Since you talked to him with a 9 streak, you got the 1000, 300, and 100 for all three levels.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
      Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
      G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
    • Options
      NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
      ah, that lines up then...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
      Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    • Options
      BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
      Oh-ho, so a 7 is the same as a 9 then? That makes sense with the reward I got for 8 - also it didn't matter that I had since fallen back below

CD World Tour status:
      Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    • Options
      Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options

Weird. Judd paid me 100 gold like four times yesterday

• Options
      HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
      I just hit level 5, wife is playing now. Finding the right weapon will take some time. Rollers are beast mode if you squid a lot. I do this little trick where I squid and move back just a second and then charge forward and drop the roller on peoples heads. It seems to work pretty well because people expect me to ink away from them when I squid.

Wife is getting tossed up against a ton of level 18's right now though, the matchmaking seems... off. She's still having fun, even when losing so.. kudos to Nintendo on that.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    • Options
      StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
      Honestly the money Judd gives you is kind of a drop in the bucket when a single win can yield 900-1000 coins.

YL9WnCY.png
    • Options
      StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
      skeldare wrote: »
      And so we have confirmation of the DLC already being on the disc. Checkmate, Nintendo.

Riot, boycott, Nintendo is doomed, etc.

YL9WnCY.png
    • Options
      Honestly the money Judd gives you is kind of a drop in the bucket when a single win can yield 900-1000 coins.

Hell even losing can get you about 400 - 500.

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
      I've had one instance of lag induced death even though I had already turned the corner and it reminded me of my days in CS:S and the constant sound of AWPs going off.