As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] we're good buddies although we sometimes have punch-ups

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Bah, obviously Howard stark's death was a plot concocted by the real shield so that he could go on adventures in Space-Time with Richards sr.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Deadpool sequel already greenlit, script currently getting written.

Also apparenty Reynolds not only stole the suit, he wore it off set.

I hope he, Pratt, and Evans visit a bunch of children's hospitals in costume.
    I'm not really sure Deadpool is child appropriate.

He could visit retirement homes and look for Peggy Carter.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Really, it only makes sense that Winter Soldier killed Howard and Maria, likely to prevent them from revealing Hydra. It just works too well. And given that, so far, it appears that Bucky's is the driving force of the conflict instead of the "Sokovia Accords," it would add another layer to the war. Cap is trying to protect his best friend. Tony is trying to bring his parent's murderer to justice.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    If the long road to actually getting Deadpool made wasn't rough enough. Apparently right before the movie was finally approved the team behind it got a last second surprise of having to cut $7 Million from the films budget.
    “We had to carve something like $7-8 million out of the budget in a 48-hour window,” Reese told io9. “And we, as a group, just put our heads together, got creative, and said ‘How do we cut what is essentially nine pages out of a 110 page script?’”
    “Angel Dust, played by Gina Carano, used to be three different characters,” Reese explained. “It was Garrison Kane, Sluggo and Wire. There was a reduction of action. We had a motorcycle chase between Deadpool and Ajax on the freeway that we took out. We had a big, big gun fight in the third act that we took out and we basically had Deadpool forget his guns as a means of getting around it. So there were just reductions.”

I really hope this movie does well, so we can have a sequel with Deadpool excited about what he's going to get to do with a bigger budget.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Don't read anything about this movie or the sequel buzz. I'm pretty sure people are basically just outright spoiling a cameo.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Sequel buzz is still buzz until they start production. IIRC Green Lantern got a sequel greenlit early when it was in theaters.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    If the long road to actually getting Deadpool made wasn't rough enough. Apparently right before the movie was finally approved the team behind it got a last second surprise of having to cut $7 Million from the films budget.
    “We had to carve something like $7-8 million out of the budget in a 48-hour window,” Reese told io9. “And we, as a group, just put our heads together, got creative, and said ‘How do we cut what is essentially nine pages out of a 110 page script?’”
    “Angel Dust, played by Gina Carano, used to be three different characters,” Reese explained. “It was Garrison Kane, Sluggo and Wire. There was a reduction of action. We had a motorcycle chase between Deadpool and Ajax on the freeway that we took out. We had a big, big gun fight in the third act that we took out and we basically had Deadpool forget his guns as a means of getting around it. So there were just reductions.”

I really hope this movie does well, so we can have a sequel with Deadpool excited about what he's going to get to do with a bigger budget.

You can definitely tell Deadpool isn't working with a nigh-unlimited budget like, well, nearly every other big superhero movie, but honestly, Deadpool doesn't suffer for it. There's loads of creative action despite the cuts.

(Minor, non-specific quip spoiler)
    And yes, Deadpool bitches about the budget in the movie.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Sequel buzz is still buzz until they start production. IIRC Green Lantern got a sequel greenlit early when it was in theaters.

I'm talking about spoiling a cameo in Deadpool.

• Options
    edited February 2016

I'm talking about spoiling a cameo in Deadpool.

Seriously. For maximum effect, you don't want to know ANYTHING about the cameo. Got one of the biggest laughs in the screening.

In fact, I've seen multiple reviews that spoil the title sequence... probably best to go on a media blackout now.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Seeing it in 4 1/2 hours. Just need to hold strong until then.

• Options
    OH MY GOD THE PROMOS FOR THE MOVIE JUST KEEP GETTING MORE GLORIOUS

https://youtu.be/uB1YkQT5YBs

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    NO BEA ARTHUR REFERENCE??????

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Deadpool sequel already greenlit, script currently getting written.

Also apparenty Reynolds not only stole the suit, he wore it off set.

By the same writing and directing team, no less.

Good to hear, because that post-credits scene...

Alright that's it. Spoil me. I have to know.

You suuuuuuure you want to know? Knowing it takes the awesome out of it. Super-ultra-mega-seriously don't read this if it's likely at all you'll see the movie spoilers:
    Tight shot of a hallway in a house. Deadpool wanders into the camera, wearing a bathrobe over his suit. He looks at the audience confused for a few seconds, then says (paraphrasing) "what, you're still here? Oh, right, you're expecting some ambiguous tease to the sequel, or Samuel L. Jackson showing up with an eyepatch. Well, we don't have any of that. Go home." And scene.

:P

There's a second post credits scene, I believe.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    We should probably bust the Deadpool talk out into it's own thread, especially given there's a second FoX-men movie coming out this year.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Also that the movies out now and I don't want to be spoiled in the MCU thread for something that isn't MCU

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I came in here to talk about Deadpool and how hard it kicked my ass so someone make a thread already smh

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    I hope Suicide Squad does well, because what I really want to see is Thunderbolts.

I would watch the hell out of a Thunderbolts movie.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    if Howard Stark were 30 years old in 1944-45 (whenever Cap 1 is meant to be set), he'd be 75 in 1990. We see him in IM2 in what appears to be his middle age, presumably sometime in the 1960s or 70s. So he' be old at the time he was killed, but not like, an invalid.

what doesn't quite make sense in this timeline is Tony's age; it's hard to tell based on the montage shown in IM1 how old he's meant to be in the film, but it seems like there's no way he could've actually been alive when Howard was recording his little message in a bottle.

ed: math hard

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    if Howard Stark were 30 years old in 1944-45 (whenever Cap 1 is meant to be set), he'd be 75 in 1990. We see him in IM2 in what appears to be his middle age, presumably sometime in the 1960s or 70s. So he' be old at the time he was killed, but not like, an invalid.

what doesn't quite make sense in this timeline is Tony's age; it's hard to tell based on the montage shown in IM1 how old he's meant to be in the film, but it seems like there's no way he could've actually been alive when Howard was recording his little message in a bottle.

ed: math hard

He's whatever age Marvel wants to be.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    well, sure

it's just fun to figure out where they're cheating

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Howard is probably in his mid 20s in First Avenger. He is a genius remember, definitely the type to skyrocket to success at a very young age.

Which would be something like

1940-45 : 20 to 25 years old
    1970-75 : 50 to 55 years old (Tony 5 years old in the video? Looks about right?)

If Tony was born in 1970, then he'd just be 38 in Iron Man 1. 5 years earlier would make him 43, which I would also believe.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Both Newton and Einstein were doing groundbreaking work in their early 20's, so yeah, Stark could have been that young working on the super soldier stuff.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Howard is probably in his mid 20s in First Avenger. He is a genius remember, definitely the type to skyrocket to success at a very young age.

1970-75 : 50 to 55 years old (Tony 5 years old in the video? Looks about right?)

If Tony was born in 1970, then he'd just be 38 in Iron Man 1. 5 years earlier would make him 43, which I would also believe.

Tony was born in 1970 because he was 21 when his parents died and he became the CEO of Stark Industries in 1991, according to the magazine covers show in Iron Man 1.

The First Avenger takes place in and around 1942 according to the date card in the opening of that movie.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Tony was born in 1970 because he was 21 when his parents died and he became the CEO of Stark Industries in 1991, according to the magazine covers show in Iron Man 1.

The First Avenger takes place in and around 1942 according to the date card in the opening of that movie.

The date Tony takes the lead at Stark Industries isn't given.

The Iron Man mini-bio shows him graduating at 17 (no year), then his parents die (1991), then Stane 'fills the gap' for a period (length not given), before Tony returns at 21 (no year) to take over.

Neither newspaper article (Winter Soldier, Iron Man) mentions Tony's age in their story.

Iron Man 2's Stark Expo video is dated 9-15-73. Which doesn't exactly help, because a child old enough to mess with the model would be over 21 in 1991

The Red Skull finds the Tesseract in March of 1942 (date card); Rogers arrives in Italy in November of 1943 (date card). Given the montage of him and the commandos tearing through Hydra bases, I'm left with the impression a fair amount of time passes.

And I feel a slight implication that the Valkyrie crash happens at about the same time as Hitler's defeat. Howard is searching for the plane when he finds the Tesseract, and he would have started that search immediately; yet the VE-Day celebration precedes it.

(amusing sidenote: I left The First Avenger playing after I double-checked the date card in the middle, and then checked how the ending montage played out. Glanced up at the credits and noticed that Gilmore Hodge was played by a Lex Shrapnel. This has been your amusing sidenote for the day)

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Obviously, Pepsi launches Hulk into space in retaliation.

The plot of Civil War is actually Coke vs. Pepsi.

Come to think of it, IronMan's armour's got a lot of red in it, and Captain America's outfit looks awfully blue...

Well that tears it. #TeamDrPepper

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    An additional point of reference that may be helpful:

The Forbes article at the beginning of Iron Man mentions "the Defeat of Braniff"

I'm assuming this isn't a direct reference to the comics. There was a Braniff airlines brand which persisted through 3 iterations before finally collapsing in 1992. This is also about right for an "information superhighway" article mentioned on the same cover.

I can't determine if this is an actual Forbes cover with a swapped-in Tony and Stane, or if the cover was created out of whole cloth. If there's any information in the wind about that, I'd love to hear it.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Come to think of it, IronMan's armour's got a lot of red in it, and Captain America's outfit looks awfully blue...

So Pepsi team then? ( I know Dr Pepper as the pepsi product, cause it's usually what I get when at a pepsi based location heh)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Ironically, Dr. Pepper is owned by Snapple, which is independent of either Coke or Pepsi...and in Europe, the brand name is owned by Coke, for various legal reasons.

• Options
    Yeah, Dr. Pepper is usually the option you get when you wanted Coke, but they just offer Pepsi

and vice-versa

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

That would be Antman colours.
    And which is Hulk, 7up or Sprite?
    Either way, I'm with Loki aka Canada Dry.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Sprite is owned by Coke.

Also, 7-Up is owned by Dr. Pepper in the US, and Pepsi outside it. So despite what the Coke commerical said, Hulk and Ant-Man are on the same team (in the US, anyway).

And Canada Dry? Also owned by Dr. Pepper.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Captain America would probably be best suited on a can of Coke Zero.

:snap: :cool:

I heard they brought back Surge, Coke's more extreme Mountain Dew, that should be Hulk.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

I heard they brought back Surge, Coke's more extreme Mountain Dew, that should be Hulk.

I'm on team Cherry Coke Zero, because I really want them to do Truth: Red, White, & Black.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Coke has a partnership with Monster energy drink.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular

She's on Tony's side, too.

• Options
    Tamin wrote: »
    An additional point of reference that may be helpful:

The Forbes article at the beginning of Iron Man mentions "the Defeat of Braniff"

I'm assuming this isn't a direct reference to the comics. There was a Braniff airlines brand which persisted through 3 iterations before finally collapsing in 1992. This is also about right for an "information superhighway" article mentioned on the same cover.

I can't determine if this is an actual Forbes cover with a swapped-in Tony and Stane, or if the cover was created out of whole cloth. If there's any information in the wind about that, I'd love to hear it.

it wouldn't be surprising to learn that forbes pulled an old cover out of their archives or something and stark/stane were pasted into it

that would kinda make sense actually, since there's way more white space than you'd normally have on a magazine cover

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

My favorite marketing for captain america was this one during Cap 1
    lx0y51rsx7r7.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Deadpool opened with $135M in the US ($260M including international), which is good for, you know, the highest-ever opening weekend for an R-rated movie. Reported budget was $58M.

So get ready for a new wave of R-rated licensed comic movies. Yay?

a5ehren on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    The ... Punisher?

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I know they already alluded to you know who for the sequel. I really, REALLY hope they bring in Task Master into the fold. He doesn't have to be fighting directly with Deadpool. Just two mercs going after the same target and fighting over who gets to do the job.

This discussion has been closed.