As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm BORED! Tell me about some games.

vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
So yeah, I've played basically every PC game known to man old and new and now I am bored. I've also played every mmorpg that wasn't a korean grindfest. I'm looking for obscure yet good games to play.

What I'd really like to find is a game that is multiplayer (possibly mmo, but I don't like Everquest/WoW/DaoC type mmorpgs) with survival elements (have to eat, worry about temperature, etc), also building/structures elements (yes I know about Wurm Online). I want it to be person oriented (ie you're not a god or a bird or whatever like sim city), and I'd also like it to have RPG elements. Don't care about graphics, I think dwarf fortress is awesome (but I'm waiting for him to put out a new version). It doesn't have to be free, and I am willing to spend moneys.

So ANYWAY, I know what I want is impossible so just tell me about games I haven't played yet so I can have some fun. I've found out about a lot of awesome games from this forum. (I've also liked the Deus Exes, System Shocks, Arcanum, Baldurs Gates, Vampire: Bloodlines, Fallouts, Silent Storms, Arx Fatalis, Ultima 7, Ultima Underworlds, and others I forgot of).

According to this games list I got from EBStop I have to wait until OCTOBER for Spore, so I NEEDS SOME GAMIN to fill in the gaps. Other than that and Tabula Rasa (also far away) the list is looking pretty spare.

vhzod on

• Options
    Exar KunExar Kun __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Twinsens Odessy

If you can find a copy, get it. The best game I have ever played in my life.

Exar Kun on
    I like pie.
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Can't help you with your dream MMO, but given your list of games I'd suggest picking up S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Rook on
  • Options
    FateFate Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I suggest Warcraft III. It is a good game in it's self but you can also make your own stuff, or play on Battle.net and some of the created games that are on the fit your description.

Fate on
    I am Fate. I will write your story.
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Diablo II is always a good bet.

Or play some console games.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    vhzod wrote: »
    What I'd really like to find is a game that is multiplayer (possibly mmo, but I don't like Everquest/WoW/DaoC type mmorpgs) with survival elements (have to eat, worry about temperature, etc), also building/structures elements (yes I know about Wurm Online). I want it to be person oriented (ie you're not a god or a bird or whatever like sim city), and I'd also like it to have RPG elements. Don't care about graphics, I think dwarf fortress is awesome (but I'm waiting for him to put out a new version). It doesn't have to be free, and I am willing to spend moneys.

If you like Dwarf Fortress, and don't care about graphics, I'd recommend trying out roguelikes, then, like Angband, Nethack, ADoM, etc. They are numerous and they are diverse. Also, have you tried Morrowind or Oblivion?

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I just got the demo for Twinsens Odessy and it apparently runs at a default resolution my monitor can't handle. I already beat STALKER and I'm waiting for a patch that adds in armor repair. I don't like RTSes (seriously I've tried, just don't like them... cause I SUCK AT THEM) or RPG-Lites like Diablo x (or Dungeon Siege x, or Titan Quest, Silverfall, 7 Samurai game possibly). I also don't really like adventure games because I'm too stupid to figure them out without a walkthrough, but I still play them because I like stories. This is why its so hard for me to find games :p. I've also played the crap out of ADOM, and can't really get into Rogue or Angband or Nethack. I can't get into Morrowind or Oblivion either I always lose focus and want to change my character halfway through. Oblivion's overuse of the leveled list really kills it for me as well.

vhzod on
  • Options
    Exar KunExar Kun __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, Twinsen won't work on my new monitor either :(

But I happen to keep an old monitor just for this one game

And yeah, I second S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Exar Kun on
    I like pie.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Stonekeep for the Pc which is older than time is like the greatest game ever. And Return to Zork is too.

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ever try A Tale in the Desert? It is A. Person Oriented, B. centered largely on building stuff and C. often involves role-playing (though no typical RPG elements are built into the system). It doesn't have survival elements and has no combat at all. I dug it for awhile but haven't played in over a year.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm really looking for something multiplayer. For example I found out about BYOND and specifically Space Station 13 (which was fun when it was around) from this forum. There must be more goodness like that in these forumy hills just waiting to be mined out. I actually beta tested A Tale in the Desert. I was hooked on it for a while, but then as the focus on the Tests and became apparent I lost interest because that sort of abritrary incentive does not interest me. (PS Are all these edits after I see new posts a bad thing? I'm new to forums and spend most of my internets on IRC)

vhzod on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I love this online game called Gunz. You can get it for free at gunzonline.com and it's a third person fast paced shooter. It's pretty old though. It look better than a lot of games though.

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm really looking for something multiplayer. For example I found out about BYOND and specifically Space Station 13 (which was fun when it was around) from this forum. There must be more goodness like that in these forumy hills just waiting to be mined out.

I forgot to mention that A Tale in the Desert is MMO.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Just for reference, I also like games like Dungeon Keeper x and Evil Genius. I just can't get into console games as well but I like games like Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Phantom Brave, Disgaea (2 was all I could find). I also got into Harvest Moon for the GBA pretty hard. I have a DS now and I like Puzzle Quest, and Contact (except I gave up after that damn robot or whatever boss). I think I've pretty much tapped all the games that interest me on the PS2/DS and I don't really plan (or can afford) to get another console. I'm trying out Stonekeep now.

vhzod on
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Commando's 2. you can find it for like 10 bucks. Great old game.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I love Eve-online, but you are a spaceship, not a person.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hobbes wrote: »
    Stonekeep for the Pc which is older than time is like the greatest game ever. And Return to Zork is too.

I'll second these ('95 wasn't that long ago). Also, Myth and Myth II are some pretty awesome tactical RTS games. Dwarves with molotovs can't be beat.

Masonite on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »

Might I refer you to the actual EVE lore? What you're saying is basically a fallacy =/

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I don't really like Eve. Tried it, didn't like it. I got kicked out of one corp cause they thought I was a spy, then kicked out of another one because I didn't want to be a cog in a tiny corp with no real advantages. Plus the gameplay is pretty boring, either you're ganking or being ganked there's no middle ground. EDIT: WTF is up with those Eve ads where a penis shaped space ship is flying into a woman's gaping red lipped mouth!?

vhzod on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You've pretty much just described The Sims.

Boktai was also a pretty interesting RPG because it broke the 4th wall.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Battman23Battman23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    [edit]

Battman23 on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Way to troll battman.

I recommend a tale in the desert. It's fun!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Battman23Battman23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    [edit]

Battman23 on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No. Stop it. Stop trying to analyze and chastise his habits. You don't know anything about him. That's trolling.

OP: Try Mount and Blade as well. That's good for a few hours/days of entertainment.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Pick up a copy of NWN with expansions and download the entire Hall of Fame on nwvault.com. Or maybe find a nice Persistent World to hang on. It's cheap, it gives you a very diverse variety of gametypes to enjoy and the quality of some of the modules are insane considering they are free.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Mount and blade is awesome, but I just can't keep playing without any sort of story or ending or anything. Lance Couching FOR THE WIN... clop clop clop clop SCLITCH Argh!! Edit: I play too many games huh? What am I supposed to be doing with my free time? Watching TV?

vhzod on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Jenga, yahtzee, monopoly. O wait.. you mean video-games!? POKEYMANS

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance is pretty rad. You could always fuck around in Second Life. I can't really think of too much that hasn't been mentioned.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Battman, shut the fuck up and get the fuck out.

OP: I'd try the Sims 2. Yes, yes but it's a good time-sink game. Stuff like The Movies is also similar. There's also the Homeworld series (I didn't see if you liked that) and Hegemonia. I can't think of anything with multiplayer that hasn't been mentioned at all.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wow. You guys really should lay off Battman. He kind of has a point. I think we all know the nerd ship has sailed for pretty much every one of us here, but this guy is asking for something that doesn't exist yet.

Whenever I get bored of games to that degree, I generally switch over to movies. I watch favorites I haven't seen in awhile, and I try to find new ones to add to my list. Lots of DVDs are cheap now, you can find real gems in the Wal-Mart bins and such. I eventually go back to mainly gaming or vice versa.

Edit: I also suggest going back and busting out some of your old favorites. It makes my nuts tingle whenever I hear the Shadowrun (SNES) intro or game music. Feels good.

Good luck, man.

Tzen on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Some games I have played recently, which are old but worth a quick blast:

Another World (WOn't last you long but fun whilst it does)
    Heart of Darkness (Currently playing through. Damn difficult but fun)
    Wing Commander 1 through to whatever number they're on now.
    Crusader No Remorse (Fun shooty game)
    Strife (Kind of RPG made using the doom engine. Was a commercial release. Very fun)
    Fahrenheit (You said you didn't like adventure games but it's quite obvious what you have to do in this so you shouldn't get stuck. Great story too)
    Mechwarrior 2 (If you can get the damn thing to run)
    The Incredible Machine + Sequels (Great time killer whilst trying to think of other games to play)
    Prince of Persia, all of them (Pretty fun story lines and great games)
    4D Sports Driving (or 4d stunt driving, I can't remember) - Create your own tracks then crash your car around them!
    Condemned (Very creepy)
    I also second Stonekeep, one of the first games I got for my pc (I was an Amiga man).
    Ecstatica and it's sequel (they work pretty well in dosbox if memory serves me right)
    Magic Carpet, Magic Carpet 2 (Brilliant games)
    Black & White (I enjoyed it ok?!?)
    Fable (OVer hyped but still damn fun)

I apologise the majority don't meet your criteria, but it's worth trying something new :) They were all pretty well known at some time but some have fallen in to obscurity.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Gihgehls wrote: »

Might I refer you to the actual EVE lore? What you're saying is basically a fallacy =/

Don't get technical with me, sonny. You aren't actually anything. You are pushing buttons and the pixels on the screen change. The pixels in Eve are in the shape of a spaceship.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ShteevieShteevie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You could try Bloodpit - it's a MMO gladiator game, sort of a 'submit your turns and get the results back' play style. You can run multiple teams at once, and the improvements and training system are actually pretty deep.

No one else has mentioned Civ 4 yet, so I will. It has many of the elements you mention, save the fact that you don't 'play' a 'role' so much.

Riviera for the GBA is pretty cute, and RPG Lite in a different way than I have seen before. Another RPG with original elements is the Mega Man Battle Network series, but I'd recommend stopping after the first 3 (maybe 4).

Or maybe you're looking for an online Diplomacy game? Can't get anymore multiplayer interactive than that.

Shteevie on