As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I find a good Graphic artist?

King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
edited May 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
I just started a podcast and it's in dire need of some professional artwork . A logo ,an" album " cover for Youtube and itunes and I'm sure some other small things
I just have no idea where to start.
Any suggestions? I'd prefer someone local so I could meet them and discuss the project in person. Also are there any legal issues I should know about?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
King Riptor on

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    There's this thread in the AC, seems like a good place to start. Though not sure if any of them are local enough for a face to face with you. Though, between instant messaging, skype, email etc...

You might try looking at Craigslist under creative services, or post an ad there under creative gigs.

Legal issues would be discussed between you and your artist, largely regarding who actually owns the copy right on the work. Professional photographers, for example, often keep the copyright on their photos. The customer is not allowed to duplicate them, they would have to go to the photographer to order duplicate prints.
    Since you're looking for more of a brand, you'd want to hash the rights out with the artist you contract.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Just as you would cruise by a Home Depot for contractors, check your nearist Apple store for artists-for-hire.

Craigslist is good, maybe ask around if have other creative connections like local bands.

see317 has some good advice. Also sort out what the billing structure will be. That is, is it hourly, by item, by entire project, etc. Write how many drafts/redos are allowed as well.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    I would be aware that even local folks may not have the time to meet up with you face to face. Unless you're putting down some serious cash, I'd be prepared for some emails and skype calls. I know I probably wouldn't meet face to face for a sub $400 job unless it was someone I already knew or the job required some physical work, just wouldn't really be worth the time/gas.

I suggest first figuring out the style that you want, and then finding an artist who can accommodate that. Dribbble and Behance are easy places to start. Just gather a few pictures that are in the style of what you are looking for. If you have a coherent Idea of what you want, its a lot easier for artists to know if they are right for your job. You can also just start to look for artists through those sites, but just note that you are likely going to be hitting some professional rates.

Try and get an idea of your scope and be honest about your budget. You'll figure out quickly if you need to readjust your expectations due to the limitations of your resources.

Iruka on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    I would be aware that even local folks may not have the time to meet up with you face to face. Unless you're putting down some serious cash, I'd be prepared for some emails and skype calls. I know I probably wouldn't meet face to face for a sub $400 job unless it was someone I already knew or the job required some physical work, just wouldn't really be worth the time/gas.

I suggest first figuring out the style that you want, and then finding an artist who can accommodate that. Dribbble and Behance are easy places to start. Just gather a few pictures that are in the style of what you are looking for. If you have a coherent Idea of what you want, its a lot easier for artists to know if they are right for your job. You can also just start to look for artists through those sites, but just note that you are likely going to be hitting some professional rates.

Try and get an idea of your scope and be honest about your budget. You'll figure out quickly if you need to readjust your expectations due to the limitations of your resources.

I do have a general idea for everything should I do mock ups ? My budget is probably maxed at 150-200.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Hearing the budget number, I'm tempted to link clientsfromhell.net just to show some examples of what it means to be on the same page as your artist in terms of budget/expectations. :lol:

Considering the budget you're working with, having as clear an idea of exactly what you want as possible should only help. It's amazing to see how quickly small things and simple ideas can add up.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Doing mock ups will help. That would be a on the low end for a logo/album cover, so I wouldn't try and squeeze in a bunch of other little tasks.

If you find an artist who really fits with what you want, I would ask for their rates and see if you can afford it. That extra level of professionalism can be worth the extra money.

In the end, I would be as specific as possible, as I think sometimes the perception is that artists want to guess at what you want and have all this freedom, but when it comes to freelance we are trying to get your job done, and revisions suck for both parties. Good artists to work with will keep the communication up.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    dire need of some professional artwork . A logo ,an" album " cover for Youtube and itunes and I'm sure some other small things
    My budget is probably maxed at 150-200.

Professional and $200 for a logo "album cover and other small things" don't go together. You'll be hard pressed to find someone that will do quality work for that price, but it's not impossible. If you are absolutely on a budget, I'd recommend the DIY route with Stocklogos.com or Istock.com.

If you decide to go with an artist to create something custom made for you, be sure to ask for their portfolio first that way you'll know what you're in for.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I would say go to fiver or 99 designs and get a cheap stage one done.
    Walking in with "This is a sketch, we pretty much know what we want, we just need someone to clean it up" might help you find someone
    If you network well and your podcast is relevant, you might someone who will trade out for advertising.
    Edit: Seriously, if you want someone good and can't meet their cash price, a local person who might trade out with you for something is a good way to get it done.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Your budget isn't going to be enough to get an artist you're excited about working with. You can probably either hire an art student or someone overseas. Both options can definitely work for you. Just tempering expectations.