As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gears of War: Live Action Film & Animated Series Coming to Netflix?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Saw some people on Twitter rambling about RAAM bring a zombie locust and speculating about the trailer (apparently this was a thing for gears 4 too), but he presumably was obliterated physically when the lightnass bomb went off.

Now skorge however... I don't recall what happened to his body.

RAAM's body fell into imulsion when the train carrying the Lightmass fell into a large body of the stuff. Keep in mind the Lightmass bomb were more like Lightmass torpedo's and shot through the water, breaking through walls to actually detonate in the outer hollow, so it's not impossible that RAAM's corpse survived unscathed. However, it'd likely be saturated by Imulsion and destroyed when Adam Fenix's countermeasure went off.

Skorge was knocked off of his Hydra beast, fell hundreds of feet and appears to have completely destroyed his spine when he hit the ground. I didn't even quite realize he was dead at first when I first played the game.

Karn was executed by Lt. Toomis. (Instead of being taken prisoner. Idiot.)

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    If you need to level up horde classes now is the time. I took engineer from 2 to 8 in 20 waves of normal.

I still dont like scout or sniper playstyle, but I'll probably do it anyway.

Shoot me an invite if you see me on. My gamertag is the same as here.

• Options

This has bee pretty meh. It's just two community dudes not being able to talk about much. They weren't able to comment on any pricing or monetization.

Dude from the trailer with two maces is apparently a Swarm Warden. Gears POP apparently isn't a promotional game, but will be a full fledged game (whatever that means)

• Options
    Promotional games give you benefits in the main game be playing them. Its something you play to make the main game better/easier.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Crap, I guess I missed those studio skins

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Magell wrote: »
    Promotional games give you benefits in the main game be playing them. Its something you play to make the main game better/easier.

I meant more about whatever "full fledged" means for a mobile title. :)

• Options
    man 5x XP is juicy. Got my Engy from like 3 to 9 on a 30 wave normal run. :U

I think I might have to give heavy a try, as it's the only horde class I never bothered with. I can probably 10 out the other classes too...

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular

I think I might have to give heavy a try, as it's the only horde class I never bothered with. I can probably 10 out the other classes too...

Heavy was fun when I was playing horde. The thing that always bothered me though is you have a boomshiy, right? Why does it shoot fucking pillows on later waves? Yes, I get they get stronger. Yes, I get it would probably be I'm balanced. Then give me something else! Maybe baseline that move speed isn't slowed with stuff like the mulcher or something.

It is just frustrating that you have what is one of the most powerful weapons in the gears universe and your throwing water balloons. However that is a complaint of mine for horde as a whole. I haven't tried the version where they never stop (can you even still do that), but maybe that's be better.

• Options
    Rando gears is still awkward and amusing.

People ditching at the start before the thing begins is still annoying, it's not like you don't know what map will pop. Why do it?

Weird playing with some engies too, I mean I avoid criticizing play but this guy put down 5 weapon containers and a bunch of wire but only one sentry. Maybe he figured the heavies would need them? o_o

• Options

Heavy was fun when I was playing horde. The thing that always bothered me though is you have a boomshiy, right? Why does it shoot fucking pillows on later waves? Yes, I get they get stronger. Yes, I get it would probably be I'm balanced. Then give me something else! Maybe baseline that move speed isn't slowed with stuff like the mulcher or something.

It is just frustrating that you have what is one of the most powerful weapons in the gears universe and your throwing water balloons. However that is a complaint of mine for horde as a whole. I haven't tried the version where they never stop (can you even still do that), but maybe that's be better.

Later waves its about cycling through the Salvo and chain gun on weapon lockers to bring thde thunder. Salvo stacks the explosive and heavy weapon damage buff skills.

• Options
    First run of heavy got it to level 9 / wave 30 on normal. I was just tired and there were only 2 of us left and it would have taken forever. But now I can make salvos of doom. Also, dropshots. I figure if I get at least another 10 wave run on each, I can max them all out this weekend. <3

Also amusingly, TC has starting flagging and banning people that were trying to boost in ranked matches (it royally screws up the matches for people not boosting). I'm both surprised and pleased that they would do that to preserve the quality of their ranked matches. Not that I run ranked in gears. D:

• Options
    edited June 2018
    So far, horde is making me sad today... so sad.

First game has 2 engies and neither bothers to really build anything. We're unable to progress past wave 9. They were both low level players, so it was okay. I knew I was in trouble when neither built a locker for my heavy, then after I built one having waited a full wave after requesting... one of them built a weapon locker and put it in the middle of a corridor like it was a sentry. Also they took my salvo and wasted it.

Second game has 2 engies (I was one and the other dropped, I think we both switched to fit at the last second unfortunately), and apparently the Sniper, seeing that my parallel fences I've been dropping makes it easy to snipe things decides to build and drop several more to completely bottleneck the entrance and now we're out of energy and we wipe (IDK wtf the other people were doing spread out across the map such that enemies were spawning by our "base" area too) and it's just... bleh. why is it when you're just on the cusp of completing stuff everything goes wrong?

edit: Third game, 2 people are snipers... maybe it'll work out.

edit: Today, someone playing engy sent me a series of angry PMs for moving their turrets. I hadn't even touched their turrets, and they were placing sentries anyway. Also, I was playing Medic, and my weapons are all white to match her guns. He then goes on to say it was the "black dude with the orange gun." My name is nothing like this guy's name either. And it was a couch co-op pair so the name was there twice. The engy then stopped building things and eventually left.

After he left, I placed a sentry to cover my sniping position, and they moved it mid-wave and I got taken out. So I had to move it and sit on top of it between waves so they wouldn't move it until it ultimately was destroyed. I also had to buy a repair gun. Best part was the couch co-op guys didn't revive me on a boss wave (20) even though I was right beside the fabricator and then lost... I also fell short of rank 10 on my sniper, and failed to pop the know your role achievement too.

Gears of Perseverance.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    I think this week has been the most I've played Gears of War 4 since... the last time they did a big ol' XP event. I did just enough to get the event stuff done... hope they do another horde event with all the weapons up for grabs.

Got into a grove with one match then had to drop early to take care of RL stuff...when I came back, I got into a 5 sniper match on Dam because why not... three dropped and we went on to wave 10 before splitting. Last match was more interesting, as we went all the way up to wave 40. Our engy left early so I wound up playing Sniper/Engy/medic and such... repair gun and all. I did pop the achievement for sniping that match, so yay. What was really interesting was that one of the people friended me and spoke to me in emoji thanking me and stuff. I guess emoji speak is useful for doing things other than annoying certain people when they message me. I also learned the Spanish word for "rest" :pop:

Kinda bummed couldn't clear wave 40, though I'm sure that if we went mobile to kill the mobs and then focused on the boss we could have won that wave at the very least. said as much but it may not have been understood by the other players... (they hunkered down more instead). but so it goes~ really hope they do another 5x soon. I got my 2nd reup too. Only 8 more to go. :rotate:

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Wait the xcom gears is pc only
    do they just not like money?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Wait the xcom gears is pc only
    do they just not like money?

Yeah, I seriously doubt that'll remain the case. The game is incredibly early on, I think they just chose to announce it on PC for appearances.

• Options
    Xbox or PC, I just really hope that the xcom-gears has competitive multiplayer

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular

I hope it has co-op, something the current gen xcom games are sorely lacking.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options

That's an interesting mental exercise to picture the implementation. Do and your co-op partner simultaneously move half the team?

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Synthesis wrote: »

That's an interesting mental exercise to picture the implementation. Do and your co-op partner simultaneously move half the team?

When a mod was in development by a third party team, before the publisher shut them down, I'm pretty sure that's how it worked. One person controlled one half and the other person the other half.

What would also be cool is a mode where one person controls the aliens and the other the operatives, instead of just op vs op. It sounds like this could easily be the multiplayer mode for Gears Tactics with gears vs locusts, but I hope each team gets significant differences to make the engagements more meaningful than just "yeah, you guys look different but that's where the differences end; everything else is the same."

Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    Looks like I'll be Gearsing this weekend too, and maybe even using emojis constructively again~

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Saw some people on Twitter rambling about RAAM bring a zombie locust and speculating about the trailer (apparently this was a thing for gears 4 too), but he presumably was obliterated physically when the lightnass bomb went off.

This reminded me of how the Gears creators (both Epic and now the Coalition) seem to struggle with the fact that RAAM was probably the most fan-favorite villain and they offed him in the first game, having since completely failed to fill that void, but can't seem to bring themselves to come up with a convoluted way to bring him back to life.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

This reminded me of how the Gears creators (both Epic and now the Coalition) seem to struggle with the fact that RAAM was probably the most fan-favorite villain and they offed him in the first game, having since completely failed to fill that void, but can't seem to bring themselves to come up with a convoluted way to bring him back to life.

yeah that's actually kinda surprising given how far backwards most franchises bend to keep characters like that around

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    RAAM's popularity comes from other media besides Gears 1 I assume? I can't remember a single thing cool about him in the first game.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I never felt raam himself was great. The moments were memorable for sure but after the final fight I was so annoyed I can't really have any other attachment to him. That being said when he is the gears representative in other stuff such as Killer Instinct I am fine with him. In reality I thought skorge was a much cooler design

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I don't even remember him much in the first game. Just the introduction where he kills whatshisface (Kim?) and then the fight on the train.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I remember the bats more than RAAM.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The greatest Gears villain is clearly:
    https://youtu.be/KEMRC1zL_gM

• Options
    I never felt raam himself was great. The moments were memorable for sure but after the final fight I was so annoyed I can't really have any other attachment to him. That being said when he is the gears representative in other stuff such as Killer Instinct I am fine with him. In reality I thought skorge was a much cooler design

Solo Wing Pixie RAAM.

I found the final encounter the first time extremely aggravating, but since then, I think I figured out how to abuse the shotgun to hell and that's made it much easier. Skorge looks a lot more unique among the Locust (even if he does look a lot like the other Kantus monks).

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    RAAM's popularity comes from other media besides Gears 1 I assume? I can't remember a single thing cool about him in the first game.

Nope. RAAM was just the only identifiable Locust until Gears 2. I think he's only popular out of nostalgia.

That and he had a cool knife and Kryll shield.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Wait...wait...does Gears seriously have a TBS game coming out?

Like I love turn based strategy games!

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Yup.

PC exclusive, no release date yet.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

Yup.

...Ah damn...well I was trying to have a gaming PC sometime next year.

• Options

Yup.

...Ah damn...well I was trying to have a gaming PC sometime next year.

I have a strong feeling we'll see it on Xbox.

As to when (even on PC), we'll see. This is something I could see being delayed to hell.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Being that the Halo: Spartan * games were phone/tablet first then console a few months later I wouldn't be surprised if the same occurs. Make it work on the main platform, then expand.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    It's pretty different from a mobile game to say the least, but Microsoft has already expressed interest in console strategy games (it's pretty much just them and the X-Com guys currently...maybe Valkyria Chronicles?), and it's falls exactly into that wheelhouse.

• Options
    i'm curious if it will just be generic gears or actually following the major plot events with the main characters. they showed some thing in that short trailer but if it is as early on in development as it appears to be who know what itll end up looking like

• Options
    i'm curious if it will just be generic gears or actually following the major plot events with the main characters. they showed some thing in that short trailer but if it is as early on in development as it appears to be who know what itll end up looking like

Takes place 2 years after e-day (12 years before Gears 1) so I imagine it'll have its own plot.

• Options
    Just a friendly reminder that 5X XP is back this weekend! The news says they'll be doing double xp from Monday to "mid-July" too.

• Options
    You know, Rod Ferguson said you'd be hunting the "locust monster maker" in Gears Tactics. I wonder if they're referring to that creepy motherfucker from the comics (Ukkon)