As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gears of War: Live Action Film & Animated Series Coming to Netflix?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Ultimate Edition is out on the Windows 10 store, if anyone cares.
    still no Gears 4 news, sadly. So much for #soon

And apparently the Win10 version of UE is being plagued with....technical issues: http://www.pcgamer.com/gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-gets-off-to-a-rocky-start/

EDIT - and I have to admit, I am kind of tempted to pick it up to see what kind of changes they made in the past 8 or 9 years since the initial release of Gears on PC.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ack! You scared the crap out of me! I didn't think there was anyone else in this thread :wink:

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER I guess.

Anyhow, they didn't fix most of the glaring problems from Gears 1, so unless you really REALLY just want to play through Gears 1 sp and mp again, only prettier, this is pretty skippable. It's $30 at launch already so the first time it goes on sale, it might be a thing to grab.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Ultimate Edition: Play the worst Gears game... again!

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ack! You scared the crap out of me! I didn't think there was anyone else in this thread :wink:

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER I guess.

Anyhow, they didn't fix most of the glaring problems from Gears 1, so unless you really REALLY just want to play through Gears 1 sp and mp again, only prettier, this is pretty skippable. It's $30 at launch already so the first time it goes on sale, it might be a thing to grab.

I always thought the first release of Gears PC already looked pretty sharp...

But then again, I never did fire up the 360 version that I have sitting around somewhere...so I have no real point of comparison.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited March 2016

That's totally a Gears 4 title at the bottom there.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    i am very curious the direction gears 4 will go, more like the first 3 or more along the lines of judgment. while i did enjoy beast mode and the cog vs. locust all player horde mode (can't recall the name), but i was not a fan of the way the "regular" multiplayer played out in judgment.

• Options
    Judgment really felt, to me, like it was Epic going "Okay, we're done with this franchise for awhile; let's hand it of to those Bulletstorm goofs and see if they do anything interesting with it." With the idea being to have People Can Fly shake up the status quo and see if anything stuck. Given the reception Judgment got, I imagine they'll do an interation of Gears3 rather than Judgment. Judgments emphasis on verticality and attempt to replicate a more traditional shooter control scheme seem to have fallen on deaf ears, as it were.

About the only thing that stands out about the campaign was the declassified stuff, which while I really liked, I don't see it translating other games.

The big thing will be just what the nature of the enemy will be; will they have humanoid troopers to facilitate COG vs Enemy gameplay? Will it be Human v Human again? Horde mode will almost certainly come back, IMO. But I could see them holding off on stuff like Beast or Onslaught until Gears5.

• Options
    was onslaught what that mode was called? i google'd really quick and i think overrun was the one i was thinking of. i don't really like the horde mode in gears personally, and as much as i can't stand call of duty i feel as though any of their iterations of zombies beats gears' horde. there are definitely aspects i like about horde, but too often it boiled down to just meleeing an enemy to death that could take 89257781650173019 hits.

i would assume they are going to find a way to make the locust a threat again. that's one of the big identifying things about gears, guns with chainsaws and big crazy monsters. if it is human vs human i think it may get a response of "well this is call of duty... but 3rd person" . i guess you can boil it down to that anyway if you ignore all the other differences, but i think it just blends in too much without the locust.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    One thing I'd give to Gears of War is that they don't seem to have some sort of unspoken prohibition against shooting the longstanding good guys--or at least, not as much as Halo has, bending over backwards to make sure you never have another normal human in your gunsights.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    One thing I'd give to Gears of War is that they don't seem to have some sort of unspoken prohibition against shooting the longstanding good guys--or at least, not as much as Halo has, bending over backwards to make sure you never have another normal human in your gunsights.

Judgment literally didn't have Locust in the core MP modes; it was all human characters.

Also, you are right WingedWeasel, it was called Over-Run, not Onslaught. I was probably thinking about UT2004.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Judgment was actually pretty good. It mostly suffered from poor pacing, writing and storytelling. The gameplay itself was a lot of fun.

The Aftermath campaign flowed much better than the main campaign and felt more like a "proper" Gears game.

• Options
    Yeah, I didn't dislike judgment at all. It did what it was meant to do: provided a fresh take on franchise that just had it's definitive conclusion come out. It's supposed to be this weird, wild offshoot and has fun with that. Honestly, I think if they hadn't released it only a year and a half after Gears 3, it might have done better.

• Options
    i actually strongly disliked the MP for judgment. i am not sure any amount of time would have changed that. however i felt the single player was fine. i got enough entertainment out of the game to not say it was a waste, but it was a huge letdown compared to any other game in the series (for me).

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    To reiterate my thoughts on Judgment like I did last time, I just hope they balance the enemy types and weapon design for Gears 4. My pet peeve with the gameplay variety in Judgment was that we got a ton of awesome cool as fuck long-range guns, and with it a shit-ton of enemies designed to rush down the player so you ended up with maybe 10 or so seconds to use them per encounter before it turned back into shotgunmania.

• Options
    But all shotguns all the time is THE ONLY GEARS! Or something like that...

For both SP and MP I much prefer leaning towards lancers being stronger. However that doesn't seem to be a popular opinion. I really liked the "excessive" stopping power on lancers compared to the silly wall bouncing of shotguns

• Options
    Given how generally terribly I am at pure PVP multiplayer GOW modes, I really ought to give Judgment a try.

Also need to dig up all the remaining collectibles in GOW3. And finished UE (which I was putting off because I was playing it with a friend co-op). In retrospect, that's a lot of GOW to play.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Yay! New info!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/03/08/april-cover-revealed-gears-of-war-4.aspx

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/03/08/meet-the-new-cast-of-gears-of-war-4.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCDZWwzJblQ

Brief story spoilers
    Game takes place 25 years after Gears 3, where the surface is wracked with massive windstorms. Main characters are JD Fenix (Liam McIntyre), Kait Diaz (Laura Bailey) and Delmont "Del" Walker (Eugene Byrd)

Fenix is the son of Marcus (I guess Anya wasn't as infertile as she thought?) who ran away from home at some point to join the COG Militia; where he was joined by his childhood friend Walker, but they both were involved with an "classified" incident and fled into wilderness where they met up with Diaz, who is an "Outsider" who grew up outside of the walled city states that protect most of humanity.

If you watch the coverage trailer, you can see a brief shot of what looks vaguely locust-like, so I'm wonder if that's the new enemy in the game. Picture below.
    g4enemy_zpsbjauxjqt.jpg

EDIT: Hmm.. "close cover melee system"

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Picked up GoW UE from gamefly because I had coupon about to expire, and $9 was an ok price. The description says there's some story content added, so that's cool. Is there anything else besides prettier grafix? Did they add the Horde mode to the game or anything?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Picked up GoW UE from gamefly because I had coupon about to expire, and $9 was an ok price. The description says there's some story content added, so that's cool. Is there anything else besides prettier grafix? Did they add the Horde mode to the game or anything?

They added some new MP modes like Team Deathmatch, the five PC chapters that were previously exclusive to the PC, tweaked a few things here or there for clarity and added a bunch of Gears 3 era multiplayer models. Beyond that, it's just a prettier version of the game.

Edit: The teammate AI is still broken just like in Gears 1. I really wished they had fixed that.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Some more info from teh magazine itself
    Apparently the anti-immulsion weapon at the end of Gears 3 basically destroyed fossile fuels too, as well as fucked up the planets weather patterns, forcing humanity to take shelter inside walled cities. These windstorms (called "Windflares") range in level of violence up to catagory 4, and can actually affect battles strategically (including turning projectiles back on user).

Game takes place over about 24 hours. The Outsider village that the trio lives in was attacked and everybody but them were kidnapped, so the three go off to investigate.

New enemy is the Swarm (lame name) and is hinted at being some sort of unintended sideeffect of Locust mass graves. (Lotta dead locust at the end of Gears 3) Sounds like grey dudes posted above are "Juvies" and can evolve into "Drones" who can utilize weaponry.

Combat seems to have more options at close quarters, with more melee options in cover, a shoulder charge, enemies who can pull you out of cover and do their own takedowns

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    So, is GoW UE, from an MP perspective, basically Gears 1 maps, hybridized Gears 3 gunplay(growing/shrinking reticles, slightly less accurate blindfire) but with Gears 1 weapon specs(like Hammerburst is still 3-rd burst)?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, is GoW UE, from an MP perspective, basically Gears 1 maps, hybridized Gears 3 gunplay(growing/shrinking reticles, slightly less accurate blindfire) but with Gears 1 weapon specs(like Hammerburst is still 3-rd burst)?

I think the gunplay is closer to Gears1, but I'm not terribly encyclopedic about Gears MP mechanics.

• Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
  • Options
    Probably time to update the OP; maybe that'll be my project when I have a couple free hours tomorrow.

Anywho, the next GI article details a bit about enemies and weapons.
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/gears_of_war_4/b/xboxone/archive/2016/03/16/the-weapons-and-enemies-of-gears-of-war-4.aspx

New weapons include what sounds like a Unreal-style sawblade launcher (that can potentially ricochet back at you) and a gun that shoots a projectile that travels in a straight line and drills into whateveris beneath it when you tell it to. If it lands on the ground, it'll drill into the the ground and explode; if it lands on a person, it'll drill into their head. Also there's a combat knife for te close-quarters execution system.

Not much new on the badguys (though some new images of the Drones). One thing I've notices is that the Juvies appear to start with no mouth, but it looks like thier mouth is just covered with skin when they're born and they rip that skin open as they age. Delightfully unsettling.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    GEARS OF WAR 4 IS THIS MONTHs game informer cover.

Is how I read this thread.

Then my eyes focused and my excitement receeded.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    On the flip side, I knew there was something off about John Dorian Fenix.
    He's Anya's son, right? No wonder he's so pretty by Gears standards.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Hmm...
    No? Isn't she infertile or something?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Hmm...
    No? Isn't she infertile or something?
    Yeah, that was the understanding too, but apparently that's the theory going around--obviously, there are other blond characters too, but it's believable.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Somebody on the Gears forum put together a pretty exhaustive breakdown of various quotes (Both in-unverse and from the developers) that points very strongly towards the origins of the Locust indeed being mutated humans, and while I hate that idea, and see a few holes in his logic, I think there's enough there that it's hard to argue against. Which sucks, but I guess they're all dead so it doesn't matter.

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/890098-Origins-of-the-Locust-A-study-of-the-Lambent-the-Sires-the-Locust-and-Myrrah

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Haven't gotten through that entire post but is the argument regarding the hollow
    That it was constructed in the last 100 years and that the locust just didn't have the tools/expertise to made it any better so because it looks like crap it appeared "ancient" in gears 2? And that there were enough to just brute force it? I don't think making the locust formerly human is a bad way to go, although them living in parallel the entire time is a very interesting way to take it as well.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Somebody on the Gears forum put together a pretty exhaustive breakdown of various quotes (Both in-unverse and from the developers) that points very strongly towards the origins of the Locust indeed being mutated humans, and while I hate that idea, and see a few holes in his logic, I think there's enough there that it's hard to argue against. Which sucks, but I guess they're all dead so it doesn't matter.

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/890098-Origins-of-the-Locust-A-study-of-the-Lambent-the-Sires-the-Locust-and-Myrrah

This was something that confused the hell out of me in GoW3 (and maybe 2?) while I was playing it. But after consulting the wiki (cheating, I know) the impression I got...
    ...was that the Locust are a few generations removed from the gradually mutating victims of the treating rustlung combined with the effects of Emulsion exposure. Hence Myrrah's human (or at least very near human) biology--she's a first generation Locust in that both her parents were "Sires" (the original patients) and she's around her own centennial, but she ended up being a sort of "control group" specimen compared to the other mutations.

It's a fascinating idea, but yeah, it's full of all kinds of holes. At what point did all effected female specimens become Berserkers (who are apparently the only female Locust, since Myrrah is a human)? Are the Locust biological differences (aside from their appearance, things like having multiple hearts) so wildly different because their generations are extremely short, like fruit flies comparatively? And why all these efforts to portray the Hollow, as a community, as something ancient? Buildings like the House of Sovereigns and Temple of the Unknowns are probably older than any Locust construct.

I sort of assumed this was all explained either in the games, and I just missed it, or the literature. I know "it's a video game" and all, but it does feel like a hasty addition to replace a plotline that got axed, Mass Effect-style.

I can't access the link (actually, it seems like a dead link rather than blocked).

• Options
    Link works for me, so I dunno what's up with that. Maybe it's too long? Here's a shortened link. As for your questions
    The hollow looking ancient is the biggest hole in this theory, but ultimately I think it's a red herring. Forum post guy thinks they were carved out by lower life forms and the Locust just refined them, but that feels like a stretch to me.

Locust are radically different from humans due to the effects of immultion being highly mutagenic.

Forum guy's theory is that they don't breed, but just process more humans into Locust; I guess Women probably don't survive as well as men, so there's fewer Beserkers. I wonder if they're all lobotomized like Doms wife.

• Options
    It could just be my fault for going to the wiki and treating it as established fact. :?

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I always thought the Sires were results of humans being spliced with Locust (a native lifeform) to try and make humans more resistant to rustlung/imulsion infection. I didn't really see anything to contradict this, just a lack of any official statement outright that this was the case. My theory was that Myrrah is a successful hybrid, and that gives her a link to the Locust hivemind (which I also think they have), letting her direct them.

I also think its not very interesting for them to be a century-old science experiment and preferred them to be native to Serra.

Speaking of Gears enemies though, poking around brought me to this article about the new enemy in GoW4, the Swarm:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/gears_of_war_4/b/xboxone/archive/2016/03/16/the-weapons-and-enemies-of-gears-of-war-4.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

They're basically the Locust again. Someone wishes they hadn't wiped the Locust out at the end of 3.
    Drones
    The drones will probably be the most familiar of the Swarm enemy types, with them resembling various modified Locust soldiers. We weren't told why these units bear such a strong resemblance to the enemies of previous Gears titles, so speculate away.
    Because re-using assets is faster and easier than making completely new stuff from scratch.

Storywise, I'm interested in what their deal is, where they come from, and what connection if any they have to the Locust and Imulsion.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Myrrah is straight-up not a locust; otherwise she would have gotten baked from the Anti-Imulsion weapon like the other Locust did. Comments from Epic indicate that she's likely a descendant of the researchers at New Hope.

Also, I don't think the Locust actually have a hivemind; Myrrah wouldn't need a extensive PA system in the Hollow if that was the case.

As for the Swarm, the article from the Game Informer magazine mentions
    The characters in the game think the Swarm may have something to do with Mass Graves that humanity dropped the Locust corpses into after Gears3.

EDIT: Also it's a gross mischaracterization to say that they're "reusing asset". Swarm Drones only bear a passing resemblance to Locust drones. TC is likely using he "drone" concept again so there's weapon weilding humanoids running around.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    My headcanon was that lambent creatures have a hivemind, straight-up linked minds together with the overall imulsion organism, while Locusts had a more low-level, sense each others basic emotions kind due to them having low-levels of imulsion infection from living near it for so long. Basically it was enough for Myrrah to influence them, but not direct them like puppets or anything. I thought something like that would explain a lot.

Also re. Swarm, I should have specified animation assets, which is explicitly what I was thinking of at the time. You have a huge library of big burly humanoid animations, you might as well save yourself some time and find a way to re-use them. The swarm are distinct visually, but they have the same proportions as Locust, so the animations can be used straight across. No hate, its what I would do to work smarter.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    My headcanon was that lambent creatures have a hivemind, straight-up linked minds together with the overall imulsion organism, while Locusts had a more low-level, sense each others basic emotions kind due to them having low-levels of imulsion infection from living near it for so long. Basically it was enough for Myrrah to influence them, but not direct them like puppets or anything. I thought something like that would explain a lot.

Myrrah seemingly speaking to RAAM while he kills Lt. Kim (and later when he's playable in RAAM's Shadow) is probably where most of the telepathy evidence comes from; but I think Gears2 indicates that it isn't the case, as the Locust use something simple like a PA system, so RAAM likely had some sort of radio on him, and the way it's presented is just a stylistic choice.

The Lambent I think are more driven by instinct; they remind me of that fungus that makes ants climb up high so they can be eaten, thus spreading the fungus around more. I don't recall them ever showing any real strategy besides "overwhelm"
    Also re. Swarm, I should have specified animation assets, which is explicitly what I was thinking of at the time. You have a huge library of big burly humanoid animations, you might as well save yourself some time and find a way to re-use them. The swarm are distinct visually, but they have the same proportions as Locust, so the animations can be used straight across. No hate, its what I would do to work smarter.

Ah yes, fair enough, my bad. Though I think the drone-sized locust use the same animations as Gears did in the prior games. They're both burly as shit.

• Options
    I always figured it was very low-level stuff - you can't convey complex information, just a general empathy, like if some section of the Hollow is under attack Locusts will vaguely sense that there's danger, but they won't know from what or how many invaders or stuff like that. I didn't even remember the RAAM stuff.

Just some reason why the queen, who didn't resemble the Locust at all, had this strange control over them.

The bit about mass Locust graves is interesting, makes me wonder if they're zombie Locusts mutated by the lambent into a new form to overcome the anti-imulsion weapon... for a game about big stompy gorefests and for all the criticism the story might get, they sure managed to make one strangely compelling setting.
    Ah yes, fair enough, my bad. Though I think the drone-sized locust use the same animations as Gears did in the prior games. They're both burly as shit.

Exactly, they probably use the same general humanoid animated rig. Its easier than making an enemy that's like quadrupedal or something - one animation library will do the job.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    My headcanon has the Locust as extreme collectivists, as sort of a dark inverse of COG being socialists. The individual exists to serve the goverment at the expense of the self. Myrrah, for whatever reason, is the center of the collective and thus her word is immutable law.

Myrrah is likely in charge of the Locust because she's the descendant of the people who wound up creating them (And, in forum guy's theory, she's the only one who knows how to create more, based on a collectible from Gears 2 stating that the "Queen makes drones")

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

Really? I felt like they always strongly hinted at it since Gears 2. Like, all but confirmed hinted at it.