As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Solium Infernum II: Hex Harder in Hell [Game On]

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    He's taken the Palace! Panic!

Also cheers for the free prestige guys.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BigBadWolfBigBadWolf Grandma's HouseRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Yeah its switched from 'kick MrBody whilst he's down' - to run away! run away!

BigBadWolf on
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Twenty-four prestige for a declined duel????

• Options
    Well, half of that is my stake back. I had faith in my boy and wagered the max the game would let me.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    The game's pretty rigid when it comes to single combat. Two of the praetors (toad and the elephant) are blatantly better than all the rest and it's extremely difficult to ever beat them unless you get lucky with the blind rock/paper/scissors combat orders. And unlike legions, there's almost zero way of getting around differences in strength with artifacts, leaders, support, or rituals. You have to hope some rare combat maneuver manuscripts pop up.

• Options
    THE BEAST!

And I think Praetor combat is more open than your assessment. With so many rounds to put commands into, plus the luck stat having a potential influence on every attack and defence score every round, things can really go either way quite easily.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    THE BEAST!

And I think Praetor combat is more open than your assessment. With so many rounds to put commands into, plus the luck stat having a potential influence on every attack and defence score every round, things can really go either way quite easily.

Figured I needed something new after I suicided my other legions into MrBody like an idiot.

Now let's see whether I can manage to find souls for Beast to eat for even one more turn!

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Keep in mind the +30 prestige the holder of the mushroom gets at the end.

What a joy I was able to start out so conveniently close to it.

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I could have sworn I made a diplomatic demand last turn that never showed up.

I tripled checked this turn that I made it before submitting orders.

MrBody on
  • Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    The game's pretty rigid when it comes to single combat. Two of the praetors (toad and the elephant) are blatantly better than all the rest and it's extremely difficult to ever beat them unless you get lucky with the blind rock/paper/scissors combat orders. And unlike legions, there's almost zero way of getting around differences in strength with artifacts, leaders, support, or rituals. You have to hope some rare combat maneuver manuscripts pop up.

And guess who's just got the elephant....
    Unlike legion combat I genuinely have no idea how preator combat works - this should be interesting!

• Options
    I have a feeling it's all about to go a bit wrong for me.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I got a bit lucky with the last turn. The elephant popped up and I massively overbid in an attempt to grab it before anyone else (and stop Jam Warrior kicking me around with his toad).

I also thought Jakobagger was going to use the Beast to grab The Bronze Pyramid from me. I got overly greedy and crushed his legion first, dragging the vendetta out another turn.
    There was nothing he could do to prevent me taking his +1 POP, but equally I couldn't have stopped him taking the +2 Pyramid, which would be net loss for me. I was kicking myself when I noticed!

• Options
    I didn't even notice the elephant came up :(

• Options
    Does that mean you're rethinking your vendetta? :

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    BigBadWolf wrote: »
    I got a bit lucky with the last turn. The elephant popped up and I massively overbid in an attempt to grab it before anyone else (and stop Jam Warrior kicking me around with his toad).

I also thought Jakobagger was going to use the Beast to grab The Bronze Pyramid from me. I got overly greedy and crushed his legion first, dragging the vendetta out another turn.
    There was nothing he could do to prevent me taking his +1 POP, but equally I couldn't have stopped him taking the +2 Pyramid, which would be net loss for me. I was kicking myself when I noticed!

I was paranoid about being able to pay the upkeep

which is the problem with the beast I guess, sometimes you end up sending your orders collecting souls to feed it which means you never get around to actually using it

whoops

• Options
    Nooooooooooo!

One hit point left on the damned elephant when poor froggy went down.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Wow that was lucky! One luck point on the final round and you would have taken me. Is it possible to draw if both praetor's die?

• Options
    Although looking at the results, turns out I still have no idea how praetor combat works! All my calculations were completely wrong...

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Been tooling around with high Martial stat builds and combat perks to go with it. Not sure how it's ever supposed to work. You need lots of resources to make it work but you don't have any points left for charisma. If you want to take any of the combat perks that tie into the martial stat, you need to take negative perks that cripple your income or military (-1 movement/order).

MrBody on
  • Options
    Would the starting legion be strong enough to rush Pandemonium and hold it for 5 turns? The zerg rush of Solium Infernum.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    No. You'd have an extra 4-6 points in the starting legion and that's it.

Even if you did take Pandemonium, you wouldn't have enough points for a high rank and your stronghold would be a sitting duck to the other players.

The max starting legion would be taking all the negative traits and putting all your points into as high and as even a distribution of non-charisma stats as possible. Pumping everything into Martial wouldn't give you that. I don't think even the strongest possible starting legion could rush Pandemonium.

MrBody on
  • Options
    I guess your best hope then would be to try and insult everyone, then use your strong starting legion to crush their legions and bully them for the rest of the game?

Can you excommunicate yourself (without attacking pandemonium)? I guess you could buy a cheap legion to sacrifice to achieve this. No-one would expect an attack on their stronghold in the first 2-3 turns! In a four player game you could probably take out at least one other player before people realize whats happening. Then hope you can take the other 2 individually before they gang up on you?

• Options
    BigBadWolf wrote: »
    I guess your best hope then would be to try and insult everyone, then use your strong starting legion to crush their legions and bully them for the rest of the game?

Can you excommunicate yourself (without attacking pandemonium)? I guess you could buy a cheap legion to sacrifice to achieve this. No-one would expect an attack on their stronghold in the first 2-3 turns! In a four player game you could probably take out at least one other player before people realize whats happening. Then hope you can take the other 2 individually before they gang up on you?

Heh, giving away a trick here, but it would be cheap to pull without everyone knowing about it.

You can also excommunicate yourself by casting a destruction ritual on pandemonium, which opens you up to be able to attack strongholds.

• Options
    Is excommunication as it happens or calculated at the end of the turn? If its 'as it happens' that could be very nasty...

Turn 1:
    • Move to border 2 spaces from stronghold.

Turn 2:
    • Order 1: Cast destruction ritual on Pandemonium
    • Order 2: Move legion and take opponent's stronghold

• Options
    Not sure, but the target player would at least have 1 phase to respond to the now open season legion, or even take the other player's stronghold himself!

• Options
    edited July 2015
    That RPS writeup in the OP has that happen at the end. You can check that out to see how the timing worked out.

Actually, I'm 90% sure it happens at the end of the turn, since that how it works with other instances of excommunication. There's an announcement in the turn log and you can't act until that, just like vendetta restrictions being lifted only after the turn is calculated.

MrBody on
  • Options
    That Slaves of Wolf legion is quite the problem.

• Options
    Funny, I was going to say the same thing about the Disciples of Mr TwoHeads Body!

• Options
    edited July 2015
    MY legion isn't camping out in the mountains like a cowardly hermit! :P

(Accept insult? Yes/No)

MrBody on
  • Options
    Don't worry about that, I'm definitely coming out of them mountains...

• Options
    You'll be coming round the mountain when you come?

• Options
    I'm just thinking back to our earlier conversation about excommunication and stronghold rushing as we edge closer to each other's strongholds...

• Options
    7 damage from a destruction ritual? Ouch. No fair.

This next turn is hinging on some shakey rule understanding I have.

• Options
    Ouch. That was a bad exchange MrBody.

Wolf has 7 prestige in a turn now!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I'm afraid to look

• Options
    Well... it could have been worse!

• Options
    Did my legion die? :(

• Options
    Nope - my rituals bounced right off him this time.

• Options
    I hope everyone focuses now on sending kinds words to Wolf about his mother.

• Options
    Please do, elephant man and the Slaves of Wolf await your eager invitations...