The Witcher Thread Contains Trolls.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Nah mine is plenty loud.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    KetBra wrote: »
    Like, on the surface, the plot is: (we'll say final prep spoilers)
    Chasing down a cabal of interdimensional sorceror elves who are harbingers of the end of the universe.

But all of that stuff is arguably tangential to keeping Ciri safe

This is reinforced by:
    The books and previous games show that the Big Damn Threat is basically the slow moving mystical heat death of the universe. It's fucking up the world of the Wild Hunt right now, but the actual threat to Geralt's world is sometime in the indefinite, possibly even far indefinite, future. Even in Witcher 3, it seems like the white death represents more of a gradual, historical decline to the Hunt's world than an imminent apocalypse.

The immediate conflict is essentially a long running beef between Geralt/Yennifer and the Hunt over Ciri. It's a family squabble between the girl's adopted parents and her blood relatives on both sides. The Hunt has been chasing Ciri for a shifting body of reasons for years, and even if the White Death is stopped, they'd probably still keep chasing her because she's the best avenue they have to brutally expand their empire to other worlds.

What ties this and the political infighting quests together is that they all represent the final stages of years of fighting and intrigue between the major players. Geralt knows all involved from way back, and his main goal throughout all of it is once again keeping the people he loves alive through the bullshit.

It's a unique and very intimate take on epic fantasy.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    As someone who also played the first game and thought Geralt was a hilarious cardboard cutout of a stereotypical "badass" with poor voice acting.

I don't know how you could play Witcher 3 and think he's an uninteresting character. What game are you even playing, the writing has improved so vastly that he may as well be an entirely different character.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Yeah, a few non gaming coworkers were pooh poohing video games, and I described the one we are playing right now to be 'a father searching after his long lost daughter, and who runs into war and political intrigue along the way'.

There was a sudden and impressive amount of interest!

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm about an hour outside of the prologue. You guys are using a lot of narrative hooks I haven't even seen yet to explain why my perspective is stupid. So far all i've done is hunt monsters because i'm playing as a monster hunter.

The noonwraith quest in the starting area was pretty great. I'd actually just play a full game of monster detective. That's kind of what this is, but the everpresent war stuff and all the terrible people around I find to be rather unpleasant.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    It's a severely unpleasant world that you'll be interacting with 90% of the time, so you'll need to get yourself used to that mindset first I'd say.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Geralt is an excellent character in 2 and 3.

I don't remember enough about 1 and don't really intend to replay it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Okay. I've yet to see any gwent score higher than this. Got a pretty good hand.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Geralt is an excellent character in 2 and 3.

I don't remember enough about 1 and don't really intend to replay it

I played it not too incredibly long ago, and Geralt is more of a blank slate. A lot of the choices rely on a Bioware-style good/evil split more than the shades of grey you see in the sequels.

• Options
    I almost want to go back and replay the first one with a better understanding of Geralt as a character, but I know I'll probably never bother.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Well I beat the game

And uh

cough

The credits starting to roll was one of those big releases of tension where you start to cry because you feel relief, like you've put down something that's weighed heavily on your heart

That was a real good game you guys

A real good game and a real good ending

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I almost want to go back and replay the first one with a better understanding of Geralt as a character, but I know I'll probably never bother.

I'm going to replay the whole series fairly soon just because I like seeing how these things evolve over time. I love comparing Zelda games to each other in terms of mechanics and structure, for instance

This series is a bit more extreme than most in that when Witcher 2 landed it was a seismic shift from the first game, and Witcher 3 is a seismic shift again

But I'll play the first game and like it

But, man, just, I'm still kind of reeling

When I beat Witcher 2 I was like "This is one of the best games I've played" but Witcher 3 kicks the everloving shit out of it

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yeah the ending was great

Just perfect

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    RE: Ending
    Which ending did everyone else get?

We got: All Hail Empress Cirilla

signature.png
  • Options
    Ending
    I got witcher Ciri.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I'm going to go so far as to say I got what might be the best endings in some respects, though I'm going to try to see others, too

Ending spoilers don't click this unless you beat the game DON'T CLICK UNLESS YOU BEAT THE GAME
    Ciri as Empress is good. I think she'll be a good ruler. It was hard to let go of her - I wanted her to stay forever. But she's her own woman, and she is meant for greater things than Geralt or Yen could give her.

And Geralt and Yen retiring to a perfectly boring life of conversation and long walks that will stretch on for centuries might be the best thing possible, oh my god

I'm going to try to see Ciri staying with the Witcher's path at least once, because that one also isn't so bad

But I liked this. She made her decision with all the options she had available to her. She's going to change the world, after saving it. That feels right

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    SilverWind wrote: »
    RE: Ending
    Which ending did everyone else get?

We got: All Hail Empress Cirilla
    Empress Cirilla ruling over Niilfgard and the Northern Kingdoms. Geralt living in a cozy cottage with Triss, but still does some Witchering on the side.

And Geralt reassures Ciri that she knows how to find him when she needs him, because he's not a monster.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Now that we're done we looked up what happens if you romance both Yen and Triss

Anyone who did that:
    Pfffffhahahaha how did you not see that coming

You totally deserved that, dog

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Ending
    I got witcher Ciri.
    The way the reveal that ciri was still alive played perfectly in my ending. Phone posting but damn that was just too good.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Ending
    I got witcher Ciri.
    The way the reveal that ciri was still alive played perfectly in my ending. Phone posting but damn that was just too good.
    Ending
    Also, the scene where I had to tell emhyr that his daughter was dead was crushing

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Ending
    I got witcher Ciri.
    Ending
    Also, the scene where I had to tell emhyr that his daughter was dead was crushing
    I really look forward to seeing this

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Ending
    I got witcher Ciri.
    Ending
    I really look forward to seeing this

The dialogue choices here were crushing

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh no Last Wish
    This is too much
    Yen just told me why she wants the djinn and I just, no, don't make me do this

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I'm going to go so far as to say I got what might be the best endings in some respects, though I'm going to try to see others, too

Ending spoilers don't click this unless you beat the game DON'T CLICK UNLESS YOU BEAT THE GAME
    Ciri as Empress is good. I think she'll be a good ruler. It was hard to let go of her - I wanted her to stay forever. But she's her own woman, and she is meant for greater things than Geralt or Yen could give her.

And Geralt and Yen retiring to a perfectly boring life of conversation and long walks that will stretch on for centuries might be the best thing possible, oh my god

I'm going to try to see Ciri staying with the Witcher's path at least once, because that one also isn't so bad

But I liked this. She made her decision with all the options she had available to her. She's going to change the world, after saving it. That feels right

That's really cool

I'll probably aim for that in my game

Edit: The first part that is

every interaction with Yennifer makes me more certain I don't want to hang around her at all

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Oh no Last Wish
    This is too much

Geralt's line delivery
    "What if I don't want to know?"
    is SO GOOD OH MY GOD

So much fear and pain

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Oh no Last Wish
    This is too much

It's incredible, isn't it?

Wyborn and I
    Were like OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

Or at least as reluctant/terrified as Geralt can be through the dialogue options

But it also makes complete sense she'd want to know what would happen

signature.png
  • Options
    Grey Ghost I trust you will do the right thing in the end

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Oh no Last Wish
    This is too much

It's incredible, isn't it?

Wyborn and I
    Were like OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

Or at least as reluctant/terrified as Geralt can be through the dialogue options

But it also makes complete sense she'd want to know what would happen
    I had wanted a way to end things, since I was planning to choose Triss. Even then, her shock and horror when she realized that she still loved Geralt but he didn't love her was heart-breaking.

• Options
    Grey Ghost don't read anymore spoilers related to that convo until you finish the quest

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Grey Ghost I trust you will do the right thing in the end

I don't know what it is though!
    she specifically says not that she wants us not to be together, but to see how things could develop without some magic bullshit choosing the direction of things

Which normally I'm all for something like that, as long as the answer is "yes we still actually love each other" and I don't at all know if that's the case here

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm never going to be able to read these spoilers

Because I'm not going to get to these quests for like a month

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Well GG I'll admit you might have more confidence if you'd read the book but it's like Yen says
    Do you really think you have a say in it, now? Let's go.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Well GG I'll admit you might have more confidence if you'd read the book but it's like Yen says
    Do you really think you have a say in it, now? Let's go.

Man I've read the books and I still ain't too sure about this

• Options
    edited June 2015
    GG, read only after you've completed the quest
    By "do the right thing" he means smooching Yen

And by more confidence, he means

Confidence that Geralt will want to smooch Yen (and vice versa)

:B

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    Last Wish spoilers
    yaaaaaaaay

• Options
    I finished Velen!

Just WHIPPIN through this game

• Options
    How do you pronounce andrzej

• Options
    How do you pronounce andrzej

I would tell you, but the damage that just saying it causes your mouth means it can only be spoken once

This discussion has been closed.