As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blu Ray Software

Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
I was looking for some good software for a blu ray drive. I hoped to use vlc but I guess they're a little behind still. I got a recommendation for powerDVD but they even admitted it didn't play everything.

Does ripping your own blu rays side step any of the issues?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I have PowerDVD and have never had an issue. I tried a bunch of others to avoid the cost of PowerDVD, but it is the most reliable player I've found for blu-rays.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Crap, something in my setup isn't HDCP compliant.
    Is there any easy way to troubleshoot what it is?

Seems weird, I've used the PS3 for blu rays, and even my drive with this TV as well, but with vlc.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    If you have an Nvidia card, in the Nvidia Control Panel -> Display -> View HDCP Status.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Odd, opening it showed I was good on one display and not the other.
    I guess it was some sort of hangup due to multiple monitors. After some toggling (despite my endless efforts yesterday) it seems to work fine across everything now.

Edit: Actually, it breaks constantly. Couldn't watch a single episode of Thrones. Bleh.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    The only programs that are plug n play like are powerDVD and maybe winDVD. Arcsot used to have a program called TotalMedia Theatre, but they've discontinued it. Apparently Nero has something as well, but I can't help but read "bloatware" whenever I see nero.

After that you have various decryption pathways that are legal gray area's, and will most likely not support menus, so playback will either start automatically or it will require you to do something like manually select a file from a file system with no apparent naming scheme. Ripping the bluray will still require a decryption pathway, but it at least allows you to select up front which file to use, so that every time thereafter it should start the bluray correctly.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Arcsoft's program doesn't look discontinued to me. I haven't gotten any emails about it from them either, and it's what I use.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Skeith wrote: »
    Arcsoft's program doesn't look discontinued to me. I haven't gotten any emails about it from them either, and it's what I use.

I don't know how you found that page, but if you just got to arcsoft.com totalmedia theatre is not listed as a product. Clicking on any links in the page you have leads you to this page, which lists it as a retired product. Clicking on the buy now button just sends you to an empty cart.

Several websites, like this one, were also reporting late last year that arcsoft was discontinuing support.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    This really sucks. So I've gotten it to work by unhooking my second monitor.
    However there is a horrendous echo. I'm not sure if it's the bluray or the player. Its the only disc I have (Game of Thrones S1). There is jack squat for options. I only got the pay per month version of the software, since I wasn't set on buying it outright. Thank goodness I didn't.
    I can't find any information about echo for the bluray or the player.

I was really excited since I loved using my PC for DVDs. But this has been nothing but a nightmare.

Edit: No echo on the rip, and no echo in VLC. It puts an echo on all other video files as well.
    I put in a ticket.. but theres very little in the way of audio options. I honestly tried most of what was there already.

Mmmm... Cocks... on