Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Summer Music

DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
So I'm mostly a heavy metal guy, but when summer rolls around I tend to listen to a lot of mellow and laid back music that I think of as 'Summer Music.' The kind with a nice beat and a good groove. But I've kind of run out of stuff to listen to.

Can anyone recommend anything? Generally not a fan of pop or electronic music if that helps. A good example of some of my favorites are:

Beck:

Cake:

Thanks in advance!

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I sorta consider both Cake and Beck to be there own little pockets of sound, they are hard to compare to a lot of other bands for specific things. Can you articulate more what you like about those songs (Or even what you dont like about others?) No pop and electronica, what about funk?

Standard summer jams for me:

Are any of those on point?

DisruptedCapitalist
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    The entire 311 discography on shuffle.

brDe918.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    On break so I am just gonna randomly toss a few quick ones, will think thruout day for a bigger chunk, but this is like my wheelhouse!

Tragically Hip

54-40

Suzanne Vega

Gaslight Anthem

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Gaslight Anthem and Alabama Shakes are pretty close to what I'm looking for, yeah! So I'll check out some more of their stuff. Obviously the Hip is a great choice too, being Canadian I already own their discography ;)

Sometimes it's hard to articulate what I like about Beck and Cake. They both have songs with good bass lines, nice standard rock/blues beats and a mellow but up-tempo sound for the most part. So I was hoping to find more stuff like that.

One more since I gotta shut off the stereo for the dinner rush ( this is all just coming via playlist , I live in this music. Curious, how you feel about punk?)

miscellaneousinsanity
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    These are less rock than what wiseman is posting so I maybe missing the mark, but I love all these guys so its worth a shot.

Iruka on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Spoilered just in case that album cover is considered NSFW

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    a couple summery things i think you'd dig:

JebusUD
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    At work so no YouTubes, but if you like the "jangly" sound, I'd also recommend:
    Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes
    Shakey Graves
    Other fun summer things:
    Vampire Weekend
    Grouplove
    Bleachers (if Gaslight Anthem is Springsteen x Punk, Bleachers are Springsteen x Fun.)

• RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    Foster the People's Torches album has some catchy stuff. Pumped Up Kicks is an obvious one but I also love Houdini, Helena Beat, and Don't Stop

• BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Cardigans, especially their "Long gone before daylight" album.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=WWBNqAxedNc

And there is also lots of great stuff from the King of Pop:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Rhzdgb-eHBA

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I like yeasayer, but it might be a bit electronica? I dunno. Genres are confusing.

Burtletoy on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    However, I dislike double posting

Burtletoy on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    awesome, thanks so much guys. You've given me a lot to check out. I'm going to start listening and see what jumps out at me!

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    If you like the Gaslight Anthem you might look into stuff like Chuck Ragan and Frank Turner. Not all of it is summery but they have a nice modern folk sound.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    The description I heard once for Gaslight Anthem that always stuck with me as fitting was "Punk Springsteen"

schuss
    Oh man, and as a Canadian, I have a feeling you probably know them both, but I felt super guilty that I had forgotten these two in a list of good chill upbeat summer tunes!

Dissociater
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Faded Paper Figures might be a little too electronic for you, but their album "The Matter" is pretty great summertime driving music, imo.

• JokermanJokerman Registered User regular

Narbus
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Here you go:

And of course, the greatest song ever made by anybody ever:

• HollerHoller Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

Holler on
    DisruptedCapitalist
    edited June 2015
    Hmm, was thinking of these guys the other day in this regard, they might lean a bit too punk, and well their lyrics are definitely NSFW,

But their beats I think are right up your alley.

( Not kidding about NSFW lyrics tho)

edit, 2:20 is one of my favorite little electronic riffs

WiseManTobes on