Options

[Arkham Knight] Asylum and City Remasters are out for PS4+Xbone

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I can't tell if Gamespot is just going with that score for the shock and click value or if that's the score they want to stand by (no, I did not read it yet because I'm trying to avoid spoilers).

Is it now the general consensus that the season pass is worth buying? Amazon sent me a code for the game when I bought my new graphics card, so I don't mind the entry fee if it's going to have some meaty features (not just extra challenge rooms that I'll end up skipping).

Xavier1216 on
    SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Woah that Kevin van ord review doe. Like polygon love it so I'm guessing this is going to come down to taste? When I saw I a seven I was worried, but it seems like a taste thing rather than an actual negative. I expected it to be decisive, but sheesh a 7

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Are the reviews spoilery?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Are the reviews spoilery?

They mention a few characters that have yet to be officially revealed.
    Xavier1216 wrote: »
    I can't tell if Gamespot is just going with that score for the shock and click value or if that's the score they want to stand by (no, I did not read it yet because I'm trying to avoid spoilers).

He feels the batmobile to be shoe-horned in rather than organically included: tank combat becomes frequent and tedious, etc.

McRhyno on
    PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    A common thread appears to be that the Batmobile stuff is the weakest part of the game.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Yeah. I read the review and his main complaints were

- He really didn't like the batmobile
    - He hated the cognitive dissonance between Batman's hyperviolence and his "no kill" rule
    - He thought the main plot was too predictable for it being a mystery.

Which, honestly, are all valid criticism. Though I would argue that the second and third complaints have always plagued the series to some degree.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    BTW folks, there's a code for GMG that takes the Premium Edition down from $100 to $53.
    40OFFB-ATAKVC-GMGRB9

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah. I read the review and his main complaints were

- He really didn't like the batmobile
    - He hated the cognitive dissonance between Batman's hyperviolence and his "no kill" rule
    - He thought the main plot was too predictable for it being a mystery.

Which, honestly, are all valid criticism. Though I would argument that the second and third complaints have always plagued the series to some degree.

Oh God.

Joker is behind it all, isn't it.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    *exhales*

So damn glad my worrying was for nothing and Rocksteady pulled it off. Again.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I finished Arkham City! I really blitzed through it (story and Harley's Revenge) because I wanted to finish it in time for Knight. Probably go back and knock out some side stuff (unless Origins is worth $5...)

Still dislike the open world. In a game with two very distinct game styles (open brawler and deliberate stealth), having to constantly check rooftops for guys with guns was not fun and made traversal feel more like a chore. However, I really enjoyed all the small strategic additions to combat like the ability to break equipment or do AoE takdowns.

@Bobkins Flymo, if you didn't like the open world nature of Arkham City you will really, REALLY hate Origins. It's about five times less dense with stuff as City, plus the new island is connected by a looooooooong bridge I grew to loathe as I had to cross it for the 47th time.

It's got the best boss fights of the first three, though.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Now can we get Rocksteady to do some other superhero games properly? I'd love to see them do justice to a Superman game. Or Spiderman. Or even Batman Beyond.
    Or Green Lantern...
    or or or or...

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Now can we get Rocksteady to do some other superhero games properly? I'd love to see them do justice to a Superman game. Or Spiderman. Or even Batman Beyond.
    Or Green Lantern...
    or or or or...

Ninja Turtles, damn it.

• Options
    Digital Foundry's early read on the PS4 is very positive, though they caveat they're playing the full game on a debug unit and not the final retail release.

30fps with rare dips into the high 20s:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-batman-arkham-knight

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Renzo wrote: »
    Or Green Lantern...
    or or or or...

Ninja Turtles, damn it.

...that would be amazing.
    EDIT - and they already have the perfect company name for it!

vamen on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    cr0w wrote: »
    There's a whole section of Arkham Hospital dedicated to Batman-induced injuries
    The Bat Wing

You, sir, have stolen from Klyka!

Though my sig is from so long ago that the joke is funny again.

I knew I'd seen it somewhere

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Does Klyka even hang here anymore?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The game is not out until Tuesday, but I guess the embargo is down.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The game is not out until Tuesday, but I guess the embargo is down.

And that is a surprise because a week or so ago I saw a few news articles saying there would be no early reviews and only release-day reviews. Which naturally made me nervous.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I am pleasantly surprised by the reviews

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2015
    Does Klyka even hang here anymore?

I haven't seen him in quite a long time.

I'm also too lazy to update my sig, which I probably need to do.

EDIT: Damn, these reviews. Here I was perfectly content to pick it up whenever, expecting to be let down by it like I was by City, but a lot of my worries have been addressed and now I'm hyped as fuck. I'm even coming around to the batsuit since I realized it's not all armor.

cr0w on
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Do you think it's worth it to cancel my $45 GMG pre-order so I can get the PS4 version and its Nightmare missions?

EDIT: Oh shit, now I can get the premium edition for $53? That's probably worth giving up Nightmare missions for

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    Do you think it's worth it to cancel my $45 GMG pre-order so I can get the PS4 version and its Nightmare missions?

EDIT: Oh shit, now I can get the premium edition for $53? That's probably worth giving up Nightmare missions for

Indeed. Because you'll get those eventually, and it sounds like the season pass will include those when they come to PC.

• Options

Indeed. Because you'll get those eventually, and it sounds like the season pass will include those when they come to PC.

I'm not sure that's the case. The trailer at Sony's conference deemed them exclusives, not timed, and the series has some history of PS4-exclusive DLC (Joker missions)

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

I'm not sure that's the case. The trailer at Sony's conference deemed them exclusives, not timed, and the series has some history of PS4-exclusive DLC (Joker missions)
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/arkham-knight-s-ps4-exclusive-content-not-exclusiv/1100-6426325/

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I shouldn't have read the GameSpot review. It spoiled a villain in the game that I didn't know about. Excited for his inclusion though.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/arkham-knight-s-ps4-exclusive-content-not-exclusiv/1100-6426325/

The only source is an Amazon advertisement, and even that is phrased ambiguously. "Bonus content exclusive until at least fall 2015.". And I don't think the Amazon page even has that line anymore

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    This is the best part of any review I've read
    The most notable non-feature of Arkham Knight is in the way it refuses to give you all the answers. It gives you the tools to pretend to be Batman and then trusts that you'll be able to make your way. When trapped with a monologuing enemy, Arkham Knight doesn't remind the player that they can't remotely blast them with the Batmobile, the game waits patiently for the player to come to it on their own.

When reconstructing a hologram of a crime scene, The World's Greatest Detective actually has to use logic and deduction. Riddler puzzles? Actually kind of puzzling. The feeling of having to intellectualy engage with your environment and abilities makes for the most satisfying simulation of Batman yet.

In an era where my hand is chapped from being held by every AAA game on the market, Arkham Knight feels nothing short of revolutionary.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Drone tanks: the rooftop snipers of 2015...

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Joker better stay dead. His death will lose all meaning in City if he turns out to be alive again. Batman ultimately failed and ended up 'killing' Joker by making the choice to save himself first. Essentially, Joker made him break his own rule since he finally put Batman into a corner. If he pops out and giggles like nothing happened, it will cheapen the whole thing.

...huh?

Joker died because he stabbed Batman which caused him to drop the cure.

Batman was going to save him.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have no idea how to handle spoilers for City since that's a huge spoiler but at this point Rocksteady is making no attempt to hide it. Hell, even I knew Joker ultimately dies when going into City.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

The only source is an Amazon advertisement, and even that is phrased ambiguously. "Bonus content exclusive until at least fall 2015.". And I don't think the Amazon page even has that line anymore
    Joker better stay dead. His death will lose all meaning in City if he turns out to be alive again. Batman ultimately failed and ended up 'killing' Joker by making the choice to save himself first. Essentially, Joker made him break his own rule since he finally put Batman into a corner. If he pops out and giggles like nothing happened, it will cheapen the whole thing.

...huh?

I took it that way since Bats broke the Lazarus Pit which pretty much sealed his fate. He had to chose between letting Joker win and become immortal, or kicking his ass to within an inch of his already dying life to save him. Obviously not like Batman wanted him to die, but he did stop Joker from saving himself.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Gamespot review sounded like it was from a dude who is just burnt out on Batman in general. That's a bad place to start, considering.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I shouldn't have read the GameSpot review. It spoiled a villain in the game that I didn't know about. Excited for his inclusion though.

This is what I was going to react to. About that unrevealed villain:
    THIS IS ALL I WANTED AND ASKED FOR BEFORE BUT DIDN'T THINK WOULD EVER HAPPEN, THANK GOD IT'S FINALLY IN A GAME.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    A shame the batmobile stuff is as boring and awkward as it has always looked in the media for the game. Seems to be a nearly universal complaint in the reviews.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    The batmobile being boring and awkward while dissappoting will be okay if it's optional. Reviews make it sounds like it's shoe horned in though. :(

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

...huh?

I took it that way since Bats broke the Lazarus Pit which pretty much sealed his fate. He had to chose between letting Joker win and become immortal, or kicking his ass to within an inch of his already dying life to save him. Obviously not like Batman wanted him to die, but he did stop Joker from saving himself.

No but the cure was right there.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Yeah, I just rewatched that part to check.
    He was holding the cure that doesn't involve super-strength and drives you mad, so breaking the one that DID involve strength n' madness didn't condemn the joker.

Wasn't his fault the joker broke it after.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Most reviews I've seen actually say the batmobile is fun, just thematically weird.
    Some reviews even claim its perfectly integrated.
    I have a feeling it is entirely going to be based on how into the batmobile tank you are.

Are you in? Fun.
    Are you out? Nope.

Sucks for those guys but I'm in so I bet I'll have a grand old time.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I used to have this Batman Begin tie in game. Mediocre Splinter Cell knock-off, for the most part, albeit one with a cool fear mechanic.

But it had these two levels with the Batmobile, where you you raced along Gotham against the clock, taking down bad dudes cars with cool slow mo sideswipes and stuff. I played those over and over and over.

So I'm down to clown with the Bat-tank.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com