So, after six years of use, my MacBook Pro crapped out on me last week. Was using it normally one day, everything started slowing down to a crawl, decided to restart it, was treated to what I can only assume was the hard drive making a hissing, static, and clicking noise upon reboot. Took about forty-five minutes to reboot, after which everything moved even slower, so decided to reboot again. As the computer struggled to load, the apple screen turned into a circle with a line through it. Computer's been unusable ever since.
Much as I love Mac products, my last one was a gift, thus getting a new one would be somewhat prohibitively expensive, especially considering I made the slightly irresponsible/self-indulgent purchase of a new iPad only a week prior to all this happening. Said iPad is serving as my temporary computer in the mean time. Gets the job done, but obviously isn't ideal.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to bite bullet and do something I've been dreading for years–get a new Windows computer. As someone who has hated every OS that came after XP and is now extremely used to OSX and iOS, I need the help of you fine gents in recommending me something. Feel free to treat me like a goose, as I know nothing about which brands to avoid and the like.
Here are the things I am looking for:
- Ample hard drive space. 1TB would be glorious, but I'll settle for something in that ballpark.
- Something fast. I would like the days of slow computing to be behind me.
- Laptop. Due to work, I need to be able to take my computer around with me.
- While being able to play the latest and greatest isn't a necessity, a decent ability to handle some pretty games would be nice.
- A quality product that (if well taken care of) will not make me have to go through this process again in another year or two.
- As always, the further this hypothetical thing's price point is away from making me destitute, so much the better.
As a random aside, I do have interest in the Surface Pro 3. Does anyone have any impressions on it they can relate? I understand I already have a tablet computer and it's in the price range that I might as well just consider getting another Mac, but I have a weakness for shiny expensive electronics, as I'm sure is already evident. Also, if I can't find something that fits all my requirements, I am willing to make do with my iPad for a while and save for a new Mac anyway, but I'm trying to be a realist and accept that it's not financially the smartest decision, thus I'm exploring options.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.