As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Asking random strangers for advice about moving to Seattle, WA

DasJesterDasJester Seattle, WARegistered User regular
Greetings all on these amazing forums! I am at a crossroads in my life and have been seeking out advice from many sources. I have researched the subject matter myself, asked friends, and Family members for advice. Now, I have decide to throw up the situation on this forum to see if others can weigh in that may have been through something similar or has known someone who’s been down this road.

I live in Louisiana and work within a fairly large IT Department that mainly focuses on providing IT Solutions to Healthcare. I have been at this one organization going on 5 years and have had different job positions/departments during this time. I would still think I’m close to the bottom of the totem pole within this organization but I’ve gained some solid skills while working for this company (Nunchaku skills, Bow Hunting Skills, Computer hacking skills…). For reals though, I’ve worked in their Call Center, Provisioning Access Team, Local Computer Support for remote clinic sites, Physician Support (Call Center), and now I’m been in a Quality Assurance position for the past 6 months. I’m at the point where other places I can get within the company…just don’t interest me enough to go in that direction (would need to specialize like Server admin, Network Admin, Programming, etc).

My closest friend moved with her family to Washington State after she spent many months not able to find a decent job in Louisiana. She has since got employed in Seattle, WA and has her own place. I’ve gone up to visit it twice and fell in love with everything that is Seattle, WA. Every place has its own characters but having lived all my life in Louisiana…Washington State is just breath taking. Since my visits, coming back home to Louisiana…is just miserable lol. I now compare everything to Washington in one way or another.

My close friend has offered for me to stay with her until I get on my feet; she doesn’t make a huge income but I have a sizeable savings that could support me for about 1 year. I then started applying for jobs in Seattle, WA while still living in Louisiana…no dice. I’ve applied to countless jobs but never got a single call or e-mail response back…besides the “Sorry this position has been filled”, so I delayed attempting to move. My best friend is still encouraging me to just say screw it and move up to Washington. I have my savings I could lean on while I look for a job in Seattle, WA and hope for the best.

TLDR:

So, just to recap…I’m a 29 year old with 7 years IT background (2 x Related IT Associate Degrees) considering leaving my stable job to move to up Seattle, WA…I will be jobless with my savings and a friend who’s will to put me up…does this sound like a stupid idea? I understand it's a risk but I feel at this point if I don't do something like this now...I may never get a better opportunity to.

Thanks for any advice!

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Don't move without a job. It's not an inexpensive place to live. You might consider Portland or Vancouver.

Intel, Nike, Sales force, Kaiser Permanente, Genentech, Columbia all have huge workforces up here.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Use your savings to visit Seattle a few times and see about getting informational interviews with folks about how to connect with people in your field. Abuse the hell out of linkedIn to find networking events.

Don't move without a job. Big gaps in employment are pretty big hurdles to overcome.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Now is also a bad time to be looking for an IT job in the Seattle area.
    Microsoft just rejiggered their rules on contacting and put a ton of people out of work.
    I was unemployed for six weeks and didn't manage to get a single interview before I scored my old job back.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    Visiting Seattle makes me feel like I should move there too. It just has that effect on everyone who visits, especially in the summer. Visiting Seattle is like a wonderful hug of coffee and rainbows and nature and sushi. Then I go back home and it feels like everything is old and dirty and covered with snow, and there are Patriots fans everywhere and all the cars have that idiotic sticker of Calvin pissing on the Yankees logo. And the weird thing is, I actually did spend a few months there for work last year, so I **know** that I wouldn't want to actually move there, but it just has like, this power to make every other place on earth feel inadequate...

More seriously... Are you concerned that none of the applications you sent got any response at all? Why are you uninterested in gaining further skills at your current company? If people with similar skills are getting laid off in other parts of the country, then perhaps now is not the time to rest your head against the chopping block. :/

• ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Dude, you have a year's worth of savings and friends up there to stay with? Do it. If you can't get something in IT just look for other jobs. If this is your dream place to live and you have no resonsibilities holding you back, do it.

As for employment gaps, don't worry about that. If employers really don't hire someone with lots of time in between jobs, just make something up. I've been in the same situation and as long as you just put something there, preferably with a reference to back you up, they won't dig any deeper than just making a call.

Getting something in place prior to moving would be the best, obviously, but you have so much in savings that it's not mandatory. Still, even getting a coffee shop job would be better than nothing.

Butcher on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Have you been here in, oh, December? Because the summers are deceptive.

Also the housing market around here sucks, so coming from LA your wallet will cry when you see rent prices.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, keep in mind for how your savings have to stretch, housing is insane up here. Expect $1000/mo or more for a shoebox-sized studio apartment unless you choose to live way out in the suburbs. If you're gonna stay with friends, figure out how long you can do that before you need to find your own place.

Dehumanized on
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Don't think this an insult, but don't assume just because you have friends you can stay with you don't have to help out with bills and cost of living stuff. Don't be that friend that burns through all their friendships exploiting an offer that should be seen as temporary. Most importantly don't assume you have a years worth of savings as long as you don't have to pay rent, utilities or health insurance.

Have an income of some kind. Pay some bills.

dispatch.o on
    Yeah, keep in mind for how your savings have to stretch, housing is insane up here. Expect $1000/mo or more for a shoebox-sized studio apartment unless you choose to live way out in the suburbs. If you're gonna stay with friends, figure out how long you can do that before you need to find your own place.

$1k a month isn't bad coming from SoCal.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Butcher wrote: »

$1k a month isn't bad coming from SoCal.

He's coming from Louisiana, though. It might not be something he assumed.

Oh whoops, not sure why I thought he was coming from SoCal.

• DasJesterDasJester Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Super late update on this post but figured it's the least I could do for all the advice that was given. Despite all the dangers of moving across country to live in Seattle, I still was wanting to take the risk. I made sure to wrap up any loose ends in Louisiana and verified arrangements with my friend in Seattle. I then brought it up to my boss about how I had made the decision to move. I offered to continue to work for the company but as remotely. My boss then had three meetings and decided that he wanted to keep me on board even if I had my heart on leaving the state.

I am now working remotely for the same company while living in the beautiful city of Seattle. It's still a huge change living in the south and now living somewhere like Seattle but I'm adjusting. I just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts and opinions. If anyone wants to make a big change in your life, it's scary but some times the rewards are worth the risks.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    DasJester wrote: »
    Super late update on this post but figured it's the least I could do for all the advice that was given. Despite all the dangers of moving across country to live in Seattle, I still was wanting to take the risk. I made sure to wrap up any loose ends in Louisiana and verified arrangements with my friend in Seattle. I then brought it up to my boss about how I had made the decision to move. I offered to continue to work for the company but as remotely. My boss then had three meetings and decided that he wanted to keep me on board even if I had my heart on leaving the state.

I am now working remotely for the same company while living in the beautiful city of Seattle. It's still a huge change living in the south and now living somewhere like Seattle but I'm adjusting. I just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts and opinions. If anyone wants to make a big change in your life, it's scary but some times the rewards are worth the risks.

Biggest piece of advice: learn to love the Seahawks or at least pretend to do so. It will make your life a lot easier.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Welcome!

• LikeaBoshLikeaBosh Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Awesome, you won't regret it. And even if you do end up needing to find a new job, it's not that bad here. My wife and I took a year off to travel the world and wanted to live somewhere new when we came back to the states, so we randomly ended up in Seattle. We were able to find a place here quick and while it took a few months we now have better jobs than when we left. Not sure how your company pays, but I've found the average pay is much better here than it was when we lived in Texas. We found a cheap place in upper Queen Anne, what part are you in?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Biggest piece of advice: learn to love the Seahawks or at least pretend to do so. It will make your life a lot easier.

I'm sure someone from Louisiana knows all about adapting to sports fans.

• MrDoctorProfessorMrDoctorProfessor Registered User regular

I just moved up here too. Quickly bought a Seahawks shirt to wear on Fridays. Im not a sports fan, but it definitely helps break that new person barrier.

noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
    admanb wrote: »

I'm sure someone from Louisiana knows all about adapting to sports fans.

oh trust me, I've learned to fake Sportanese fluently in Louisiana lol. I've never been a huge sports fan and you can quickly find yourself being alienated if you don't "Join in" during the sports talk.

LikeaBosh wrote: »

Awesome, you won't regret it. And even if you do end up needing to find a new job, it's not that bad here. My wife and I took a year off to travel the world and wanted to live somewhere new when we came back to the states, so we randomly ended up in Seattle. We were able to find a place here quick and while it took a few months we now have better jobs than when we left. Not sure how your company pays, but I've found the average pay is much better here than it was when we lived in Texas. We found a cheap place in upper Queen Anne, what part are you in?

I've moved into the outskirts of the Bellevue Wa area for the time being. I know real estate is an issue, at least that is what I keep hearing from people but I'm going to look into something better later on.