As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

For Blood! For Glory! [For Honor]!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Konphujun wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    For Honor dev stream on Twitch right now:

Some things discussed so far:

- Another Community Order coming this week
    - Ranked is in the works, but they want to get the connection issues (which they are very aware of and working to fix) taken care of first
    - New Epic outfits coming this week (not sure if these will be like the Mythic or not - don't think it was specified)
    - The two maps they took out will be available by the end of the week for testing in custom games before they return to the main map pool
    - Gear score - gear stats were never meant to have such a major impact, but with stacking stats that's obviously not the case; they want traits to matter far more with gear stats taking a back seat to those; this is actively being addressed and once fixed, it will have the added bonus of helping with matchmaking
    - More balance is in the works - no specifics discussed yet
    - New game modes, maps, and classes are in the works but no specifics at this time

There is supposed to be more discussed after the exhibition match that is currently on. I may have also missed some stuff.

Lots of good things addressed there.

A bit annoyed they didn't address the Steel costs for emotes/outfits/flair.

They're supposed to be prohibitively expensive. Gives people with lots of steel something to spend it on and removes steel from the economy to facilitate real money steel purchases.

I mean I understand they are meant to facilitate real money purchases.

But this is a full price game and the hours needed to get a single outfit, much less emotes are too high. Some website did the math and to get all the things it would cost $700+ in steel OR over 2 1/2 years of doing all the orders every single day. Yes, that is taking into account steel gained from matches but doesn't take into account disconnects, which means its probably more like 3 years.

Thats skewed a bit too much toward the "facilitate real money steel purchases" camp especially for a game that has a $60 price point. I mean even if they double the Steel gain rate it would still be so low that I wouldn't get everything in the base game that I paid for until I had played every day for over a year.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular

- Ranked is in the works, but they want to get the connection issues (which they are very aware of and working to fix) taken care of first
    - New Epic outfits coming this week (not sure if these will be like the Mythic or not - don't think it was specified)
    - The two maps they took out will be available by the end of the week for testing in custom games before they return to the main map pool
    - Gear score - gear stats were never meant to have such a major impact, but with stacking stats that's obviously not the case; they want traits to matter far more with gear stats taking a back seat to those; this is actively being addressed and once fixed, it will have the added bonus of helping with matchmaking
    - New game modes, maps, and classes are in the works but no specifics at this time

There is supposed to be more discussed after the exhibition match that is currently on. I may have also missed some stuff.

They actually did, but the answer was not well received by the chat. The game director said that they never intended everything to be unlocked by every player for every character (or even most characters), but instead a specific few that people wanted to focus on.

He then compared their intended model to a MOBA and how people usually don't unlock everything there, either. The problem, of course, is this is a full-priced game that he is comparing to the pay model of F2P games.

He did say that if it needs to be re-addressed and adjusted in the future they will do so, but right now this is how it will be.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

They actually did, but the answer was not well received by the chat. The game director said that they never intended everything to be unlocked by every player for every character (or even most characters), but instead a specific few that people wanted to focus on.

He then compared their intended model to a MOBA and how people usually don't unlock everything there, either. The problem, of course, is this is a full-priced game that he is comparing to the pay model of F2P games.

He did say that if it needs to be re-addressed and adjusted in the future they will do so, but right now this is how it will be.

9cc9eba9d36c318cf8fcf9874fba696e.png

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Gear would be far more balanced if they just outright excised all of the revenge stats.

It wouldn't be perfect but it would no longer be a huge problem driving people away from the game.

Though they didn't explicitly say "revenge stats", the devs said some stats are obviously way too favorable and are definitely being addressed for a rework.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Oh well. Game was really fun when the mechanics weren't being turned inside out, dissected and distilled into their rawest form of jankiness. It's a very pretty skin over some very questionable framework.

I'm thinking they're not leaving it this way on purpose but because they can't actually fix it.

As soon as you start defending your exploitative monetization practices with a shrug, you've lost me.

Edit: While my weekend schedule isn't consistent enough to register or play in the tournaments, @CorriganX ran them like a pro and it was excellent catching whatever matches I could and twitch chatting. Strong work.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Speaking for myself, I have zero problem with never owning more than a handful of the cosmetic unlockables.
    It makes choosing what to unlock quite a bit more interesting.

• Options
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Speaking for myself, I have zero problem with never owning more than a handful of the cosmetic unlockables.

The unlockable characters will also be steel. I don't have any faith on them being reasonable about the cost given the current attitude towards transactions.

They're not even microtransactions. They're just plain ole transactions.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Oh well. Game was really fun when the mechanics weren't being turned inside out, dissected and distilled into their rawest form of jankiness. It's a very pretty skin over some very questionable framework.

I'm thinking they're not leaving it this way on purpose but because they can't actually fix it.

As soon as you start defending your exploitative monetization practices with a shrug, you've lost me.

Edit: While my weekend schedule isn't consistent enough to register or play in the tournaments, @CorriganX ran them like a pro and it was excellent catching whatever matches I could and twitch chatting. Strong work.

This is real doom and gloomy, I'm pretty sure a major AAA dev can figure out these kinds of problems, but it's gonna take time and data. They don't have the full suite of QA anymore thanks to the game being released so it'll take a bit.

Ask me again in a few weeks about flickers/soft feints/cancel bugs and if they haven't said anything then I'll probably be legit mad.

• Options
    Playable without paying for 'em.
    Okay, that's an issue for 4v4 modes but...

• Options
    edited March 2017

This is real doom and gloomy, I'm pretty sure a major AAA dev can figure out these kinds of problems, but it's gonna take time and data. They don't have the full suite of QA anymore thanks to the game being released so it'll take a bit.

Ask me again in a few weeks about flickers/soft feints/cancel bugs and if they haven't said anything then I'll probably be legit mad.

Games already bled off the player base of people who move from new release to new release. They really dont have weeks to fix stuff until everyone else shelves it to go play something else.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    They seem to be planning for a long haul.
    If they are assuming the game will have the lifespan of, say, Street Fighter IV, a few weeks may not seem like a big deal on their timetable.

I can certainly see myself coming back to this every once in a while, issues or no.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular

Games already bled off the player base of people who move from new release to new release. They really dont have weeks to fix stuff until everyone else shelves it to go play something else.

Just like most every single game nowadays. I'm not fazed about 'population issues' or a 'dying game' because that's only the view when compared to stuff like, idk, Call of Duty. There's time.

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Conkers, this is odd. After an enemy conker hit me with heavy x shieldbash, I couldn't block the follow-up heavy after the shieldbash connected. Is this a thing?

This was in open space btw, I wasn't bashed against a wall.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Conkers, this is odd. After an enemy conker hit me with heavy x shieldbash, I couldn't block the follow-up heavy after the shieldbash connected. Is this a thing?

This was in open space btw, I wasn't bashed against a wall.

There's a way to unlock from your target and turn a bit so the attack impacts earlier with many characters. Nobushi can do this with a zone attack for the easiest example.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

I mean there's some gray area with these fee to pay games and how much things cost in ingame currency vs real mone, but given that you would have to spend over 700$ to get everything that exists in the game currently goes to show how expensive each individual thing is and how much time it takes to get even a single mid-priced cosmetic. Executions cost like 5$ as a mid-price, 5 dollars for ONE execution, and that's not saying anything about how long it takes to earn enough steel to afford something like just one execution or emote or flair. Even if the general practice of microtransactions in a full price paid game don't bother you in theory, given how much shit actually costs in For Honor it's very easy to remember this is a Ubisoft title no matter how good the game itself is.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I kinda like that having everything for everyone is super expensive in terms of steel. It encourages people to specialize in one or two characters as far as cosmetics go. So like, when I see a Kensai in full regalia looking fly af, I know the guy must really like Kensai and I can assume he's pretty good with him or at least trying to be. It allows me to make educated guesses about my opponents, I guess is what I'm saying.

Konphujun on
    Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I'm kind of glad they didn't follow the Overwatch model.

"Hey! How would you like to unlock things for characters you never use? Wait, that irritates you? Eh, sounds like a personal problem to us."

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Yea, its a point in their favor that they don't have loot crates for cosmetics and then keep giving them to you after getting them and offering scrap as contribution.

Not a big point, but a point nonetheless

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

"Hey! How would you like to unlock things for characters you never use? Wait, that irritates you? Eh, sounds like a personal problem to us."

Except that Overwatch doesn't have anything like a season pass; all new modes, characters, maps, etc... are currently free as long as you own the game.

I obviously don't know how much For Honor's extra maps and so on are going to cost, but I'm not optimistic that its going to be anything I can realistically grind out.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

Except that Overwatch doesn't have anything like a season pass; all new modes, characters, maps, etc... are currently free as long as you own the game.

I obviously don't know how much For Honor's extra maps and so on are going to cost, but I'm not optimistic that its going to be anything I can realistically grind out.

It's a valid point--so long as Overwatch content remains free, which I assume it will--but for me there's no escaping just how much worse for progression unlocking to be completely and entirely random, especially when 90% of the content, by definition, isn't what I want. As much I love Blizzard (and how little I care about Ubisoft), if I had to decide between 1) a season pass with point-to-point unlocking and 2) the status quo, so far in Overwatch I'd honestly go for the former based on the current trajectory of added content if I was actually interested in unlocking content.

Which in Overwatch, I'm not. Not even remotely. Chicken-and-egg scenario. In For Honor, I can actively plan out a path to obtain a specific unlockables. In Overwatch I stopped caring, because I know that I have absolutely no control over what the game decides to give me outside of the in-game currency system, where progression is measured in months rather than weeks. If lootboxes vanished entirely from the game, I probably wouldn't notice.

It's certainly a trade-off with merits and disadvantages--though if For Honor had gone the Overwatch path--even with free DLC--I really, really wouldn't have liked it. But I understand Blizzard's motivation, it's just why I caring about unlocking anything in Overwatch (and would never buy a lootbox--spending $2 to get stuff I can almost guarantee I don't want that has zero gameplay affect anyway). I'm definitely not the customer they're chasing. From a business standpoint, it's probably goddamn brilliant compared to Ubisoft's system--I can only imagine the sort of purchase rates you see in the last few hours of a season event as people desperately try to unlock some skin or animation before it's presumably cut-off forever.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    The problem with overwatch is that the monetized portion of cosmetics is straight up gambling. You can't buy the coins used in the items shop directly. So you either need to hope that RNG is in your favor, or that the dismal coin payout from those same grab bags gives you enough coins for what you want. What's worse is that every time someone objects to the system, you get a billion people chiming in on how it works great for them since they got what they wanted from their first grab bag. Players have spent huge sums of money trying to get specific items from events only to be left empty handed after a string of failed RNG rolls and nothing to show for it except a smaller pocket book and a pile of junk that they didn't want.

At least the costs in for honor are honest. They're what they say on the tin. They're overpriced, but prices can be changed.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    I'm still sad that I didn't get 3 of the Lunar skins from the most recent Overwatch event. I didn't play enough and I wasn't feeling like buying boxes this one time, usually I will buy at least a 50-stack.

Re: FH, I get that an execute or a emote is roughly $5, but to be fair a lot of the cosmetic content I don't ever see myself purchasing. So far I have purchased:
    2 Warlord emotes
    1 Lawbringer execute
    1 Lawbringer emote
    1 Lawbringer ornament
    1 Valkyrie ornament
    1 Valkyrie execute

That's almost everything I want for my current chars, maybe will pick up a Conk and a Warlord execute, but I'm in no hurry. A lot of the ornaments and especially the Valk emotes are just meh. Even with that amount of direct purchases, I still have probably spent 2 or three times what I spent on cosmetics on gear scavenging instead. At least to my reckoning.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Plant that flag!

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    That's the one valk execute I did buy. If only she had equally good emotes.

• Options
    Yeah, I figured it was that one because it's the only one that I bought too. All of her other emotes/executions are meh.

• Options
    What's stupid is that by virtue of her using a spear, you would think she has a ton of potential for cool animations. Let her flip the spear upside down, plant it, put a foot on the blunt outcropping of the bottom of the spear, dunno what it's called, lean forward and make an aggressive gesture.

Or have her spin the spear around her neck or shoulders as an axis, no handed then catch it and return to stance.

And so on.

• Options
    Yeah, I figured it was that one because it's the only one that I bought too. All of her other emotes/executions are meh.

The default execution where she puts her spear behind her head and over her shoulders before driving the blade through the enemy's throat is baller af.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Lawbringer Impale is the best execeute.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options

The default execution where she puts her spear behind her head and over her shoulders before driving the blade through the enemy's throat is baller af.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but that execute does nothing for me. Don't have a reason, it just doesn't tick a box for me somewhere.

• Options
    Berserker, axes behind the neck, foot to the chest for the decapitation (I can't remember what it's called). Love that one.

I also love their emote where he/she flips the axe and the blade hits their hand. "Don't... don't you tell anyone you saw this!"

• Options

I like it, but it's free and you already have it.

• Options
    Berserker, axes behind the neck, foot to the chest for the decapitation (I can't remember what it's called). Love that one.

I also love their emote where he/she flips the axe and the blade hits their hand. "Don't... don't you tell anyone you saw this!"

What do you think you're looking at!

AI Bot casually dropping an axe after failing a flip and then pretending they meant to do that is also hilarious.

• Options
    The "case of the mondays" emote for the LB where he slams his poleaxe on his toe by accident is my favorite emote.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    So, been gone for 14 days with no For Honor. Anything important missed? Do we have timetables on Revenge nerfing?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    No hard dates yet, they have stated in multiple streams that stats are going to be addressed across the board. Especially revenge. I know that isn't much, but at least it's been acknowledged.

• Options
    It looks like the update today unlocked some additional season pass/pre-order content I didn't have access to until today.

• Options
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    It looks like the update today unlocked some additional season pass/pre-order content I didn't have access to until today.

Anything cool?

• Options
    Looks like I got new colors for all heroes. A pre-order color/outfit.

• Options
    In addition or did you never have that unlocked to begin with?

• Options
    I think it was a bonus from the deluxe or season patch that was never unlocked for me due to reasons.