As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Its a great big [Steven Universe] out there!

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Rose is straight up the biggest mystery in the show. Just... everything around her. Who she was. She had a huge formative impact on everyone important in Steven's life(except Connie) but to Steven she's just... a ghost. He doesn't know her, doesn't know how to feel about her. It's very real that way.

And that's... well, it's a weird feeling to have. But I think it's an important part of kids growing up to realize that all the people around them who are older than them, be they friends or family, have lived lives beyond said kids' experiences. And all those collective experiences end up making people wonderful, and sometimes terrible, and always complicated.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I really liked that they have started to give her actual flaws so that she's no longer this perfect goddess in everyone's memories.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I never saw Rose as perfect. The Gems speak highly of her yeah, but of course they do. She was their leader and a great heroine. The fact all of Rose's was so dangerous, (the moss, the vines, the holo room, the armory) always implied that there was more going on.

I think making her a bit paternalistic/condescending in her veiw humans is cool wrinkle. Just because you care and want to protect a group doesn't mean you see them as equals

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    so

I think

Pearl might just have a thing for authority figures

what happened with Rose is now happening with Garnet

maybe that's her "malfunction"? loyalty to the gem they serve taken too far to the point of romantic devotion?

in any case, girl's got issues

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    also I like that it's implied that Gems might just have some sort of natural affinity for music and rhythm (re: Amethyst and the drums)

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    See, now I want to see Jasper as lead singer of a Gem Death Metal band.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Peridot would totally be into Daft Punk

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    so

I think

Pearl might just have a thing for authority figures

what happened with Rose is now happening with Garnet

maybe that's her "malfunction"? loyalty to the gem they serve taken too far to the point of romantic devotion?

in any case, girl's got issues

She was obsessed with the idea of human knights, she needs a lord to serve.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I think she was probably more fulfilled when there were more gems to socialize with.

She's clearly very lonely, and not just because Rose is gone.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    also I like that it's implied that Gems might just have some sort of natural affinity for music and rhythm (re: Amethyst and the drums)

to tell the truth, i think these hologram gems having natural musical affinity is outrageous

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    BlueBlue wrote: »

to tell the truth, i think these hologram gems having natural musical affinity is outrageous

Yes, truly

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Bring back Nikki Minaj

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    There...there are people denying that Pearl is gay.

I really can't wrap my head around it. This week's episodes didn't even answer the question "Is Pearl gay?" but rather "Just how gay is Pearl?" to which the answer is "Gayer than your wildest imagination."

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I really can't wrap my head around it. This week's episodes didn't even answer the question "Is Pearl gay?" but rather "Just how gay is Pearl?" to which the answer is "Gayer than your wildest imagination."

the gems are from a race of only females

I'm gonna go with "duh" on this one

like Rebecca sugar pretty clearly set out to make a show that had a TON of queer representation and she did it in the most concrete way possible

I'm not sure how you could go 'nah'

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

This is the most explicitly gay character a cartoon that airs on a major network has ever had, and it is infuriating people are outright actively denying or wishing it away as "you're reading too much into it" etc. for numerous reasons, especially because of how big a deal this actually is.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    just because they are in denial and trying to wish it away doesn't mean it isn't happening.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I think gay is the wrong word for a monogender alien race that does not reproduce sexually. Rose and Greg is what would be viewed as different in gem society

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    They are "monogender" but their portrayal is absolutely them being a race of women

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I think gay is the wrong word for a monogender alien race that does not reproduce sexually. Rose and Greg is what would be viewed as different in gem society

They explicitly present as and identify as female

If they were a monogender that just looked female id agree with you

But they very clearly identify themselves as women

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

But she is (basically) a women who was into another woman and that's important for the purposes of representation.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Also alucard I don't think you meant to do this but you knd of equated gay and abnormal which isn't cool

• Options
    What I'm saying is that gay and straight have no meaning in gem society, and that homeworld would probably look down on interspecies romance. Steven is an abomination from their perspective.

I'm not trying to say the show isn't gender progressive, I just think gay doesn't make any sense if a gem can't be straight either, or if gem/gem is straight.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Right

But the show is treating all the as if they are all women

So it doesn't matter if *in the show* they are monogender, because *to us* they are women

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    What I'm saying is that gay and straight have no meaning in gem society, and that homeworld would probably look down on interspecies romance. Steven is an abomination from their perspective.

I'm not trying to say the show isn't gender progressive, I just think gay doesn't make any sense if a gem can't be straight either, or if gem/gem is straight.

While I think you're right inside the context of the show universe it is still going to be consumed and interpreted in the context of our modern society. By whose standards the gems look, sound and act like women.

The show is fairly broad in portraying different kinds of women which is also a plus.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Also alucard I don't think you meant to do this but you knd of equated gay and abnormal which isn't cool

Perhaps I should have said stigmatized. As in gem/human relationships In the context of gem society would carry the same stigma that a gay human/human relationship would in human society in certain parts of the south or countries in africa or the middle east where it's straight up illegal and punishable by death.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    gonna be proactive for the current line of conversations:

keep it civil.
    Don't be pedantic.
    Don't be a jerk.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

tumblr_nq9cfhpwXF1u37d9fo1_1280.png

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Basically it doesn't matter what the in universe context is, the only thing that really matters is the portrayal to the audience.

Which yes, Pearl is completely 100% gay and that's fantastic.

No I don't.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    Garnet isn't gay, they're just two sisters who fuse all the time so they can better help the crystajdjeodniendiendonsxlrrrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrrlrlrlrl

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    No one is gay, they all are just super attracted to Greg and that's why they're raising Steven so they can make him like them.

I mean, comeon everyone gay people don't exist to kids.

Also no episodes were about consent.

And everythings funny aaallll the time..

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    Garnet isn't gay, they're just two sisters who fuse all the time so they can better help the crystajdjeodniendiendonsxlrrrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrrlrlrlrl
    tumblr_nq9cfhpwXF1u37d9fo2_1280.png

• Options

Jesus christ what kind of hellscape forum is that?

No I don't.
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Society today: Where incest is considered preferable to homosexuality.

Edit: Actually I see that I read that wrong. Still, it seems like you'd have to believe in some weird bro/sis relationships to think that's the case.

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options

it's from the comments on steven-universe.wikia.com

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    people have to be seriously sticking their heads into the sand to be ignoring the 'homosexuality is an accepted, normal thing' in SU

Beasteh on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

I don't know... I'm pretty sure some people on these forums have pretty gay imaginations. Just saying.

• Options

it's from the comments on steven-universe.wikia.com

It makes me so much sadder knowing that's from a community exclusively for Steven Universe.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Never go to official/exclusive forums.
    Hives and honeypots of scum and villiany of the greatest magnitude.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    lol if you think a wikia is the official steven universe discussion zone

Little forum threads like this are truer to the spirit of the fandom than that place

l3icwZV.png
This discussion has been closed.