As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Our furry companions (nsf56k)

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Not yet, she likes the stairs a lot. When we first moved it she was sprinting up and down them.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    The workaround for the pathing error bug is to put a cat tower where they can climb it to the second floor, bypassing the stairs.

My cats like use both paths at maximum speed, preferably while chasing each other.

*Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    My puppy's getting neutered tomorrow.

I know it's the best, most responsible thing to do. And obviously I scheduled the appointment and fully intend to take him in.

But I feel terrible about it. Probably because my last dog spent a week in intense pain after he was neutered. (He threw up his painkillers, we couldn't give him anything for it.) I'm using a different, better, vet. But I still feel awful.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Aww. Well I hope it goes better for your new guy -- I had it done for Gura a month ago, and it went relatively painlessly.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Luke seems to be doing a little better than Jet, my last dog, did after he was neutered. Jet basically laid on the floor for a week and couldn't be touched anywhere except his head and neck without experiencing a lot of pain.

Luke is more mobile, but had a hard time keeping his eyes focused, had a lot of balance issues, and has been sleeping a lot. He kept his meds down, which is good.

But he's still really sad and confused and I feel really guilty even though it was the right thing to do.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Our kitty Alistair is a good kitty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bot3vruelD4

@Strikor

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i would adopt both the little siamese instantly

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    No, just play with him. He looks a little board.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    thats like the fate of an unfortunate dog in a doctor who episode

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »

Nah, he's pine.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    MadEddy wrote: »

Nah, he's pine.

Something something dogwood something.
    Sorry, my pun muscles are broken for the evening.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    thats like the fate of an unfortunate dog in a doctor who episode

Davies only Kafkas people. Dogs die heroic deaths

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    update on that kitten stream: the little jellicle cat has taken the play tent on a journey
    (rolling it over across the room)

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Make pugs great again.

kzvk8vtdrbkp.jpg

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I had a quick question about one of my dog's behavior. She is a almost 2 year old small daschund, she is very excitable and always runs up immediately when anyone comes home. But she also tends to cower out of no where when I lean down to pet her. She doesn't always do it.

The most recent was tonight. I went downstairs to get a drink and she heard me so she ran out of the downstairs bedroom and started wiggling and going in circles while I leaned down to pet her and she started to cower. After I got my drink and went to pet her while I was I the kitchen she did the same thing.

If I sit on the couch she will jump up and lay down or she will jump up onto my chest to try and lick my face and if I successfully dodge her there she will get onto the back of the couch and crawl onto my shoulders and continue her assault from that angle.

I don't think she is afraid of me but it bothers me that she cower like that. Any ideas on why?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Does it make a difference if you let her sniff your hand first?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Have you been the only owner, because honestly, the obvious answer to me is basically just awful things happened before you got the dog.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »

No, it doesn't seem to do anything.
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Have you been the only owner, because honestly, the obvious answer to me is basically just awful things happened before you got the dog.

We've had her since she was a puppy, maybe 7 or 8 weeks old.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    you are very tall
    she is very small

does she cower when you pet her if she climbs on your lap, or if you're kneeling down at dog level?

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    pimento wrote: »

No, it doesn't seem to do anything.
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

We've had her since she was a puppy, maybe 7 or 8 weeks old.

I squat down to pat small dogs rather than lean over them. Not sure if that will help!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Try talking in a high voice when you go to pet. Oh and go in palm facing up and rub under her mouth first. Though Daschunds are just jumpy by nature so she'll always be a little edgy

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    It's most likely just a dominance reaction. She obviously considers you above her in the pecking order and her cowering is probably just her showing that; dogs display it in several different ways, most common is rolling over and showing the belly but cowering is pretty common as well. it's not really anything to worry about.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Yeah some dogs just simply don't like seeing a hand or a body looming above them, because to them it's a dominating action regardless of your intent, so they react in different ways, often submissively.

Does she roll over at all when she cowers, or does she hide her belly?

My greyhound used to react similarly to your dog, and still sometimes does if she's caught off guard. It helps if I get on her level to pat her.

• Options
    when i lay on my cat and kiss his big ol' nose he purrs and drools but that probably isn't helping at all gosh i love my puddie he is the squishiest

ygwfd2jbjle1.jpg

• Options
    Absurdity MatrixAbsurdity Matrix Tumbledown Glory On the OutskirtsRegistered User regular
    Well, I typed-up a bigger post, but it's mostly echoing what others have just said. A giant overhead hand or a looming body can, at the very least, be disconcerting. If it's not in every situation, consider about how shadow and light might change as you lean over; I think you might find that there's a pattern in location or positioning when this occurs.

• Options
    She does have no problem coming up to me if I'm sitting and rolls over to get her belly rubbed. I will start crouching down when I pet her now, see if that helps.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Question for all you experienced pet owner's.
    I was spending some time with my dad yesterday and we got on the topic of the pets I had growing up. Both of my cats died of kidney failure and my dad attributes that to them drinking tap water their entire lives. Is there any legitimacy to this claim? My mom still gives her cat tap and I'd hate to see the poor thing die like that. If this is a thing I want to nip that in the bud ASAP.

I think kidney failure is just a very common natural cause of death for cats, because their kidneys just tend to go first.

A quick internet search doesn't actually seem to support that claim, so you should probably ask a vet.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Well filtered water is always going to be better no matter what. And it depends on the water itself, too, of course. We use a Pur faucet filter for 3 cats and 2 people and it's not expensive at all.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Yeah we use filtered water for our cats, but I sincerely doubt that tap water would cause kidney failure. At worst it seems like very hard water could cause kidney stones, though. So I guess either way, might as well filter it if you can.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Well filtered water is always going to be better no matter what. And it depends on the water itself, too, of course. We use a Pur faucet filter for 3 cats and 2 people and it's not expensive at all.

I have to wonder if this is a coincidence.

• Options
    Garak may look like a cat, but he's actually a puppy in disguise.

HiHgU3F.jpg
    FBXM60a.jpg
    XE3FZcF.jpg
    KZz3Xdb.jpg

@Strikor

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    unsnugglehug dying pet stuff:
    my family's dog has aggressive cancer. Prognosis is 2-6 months to live depending on how advanced it already is. Damn it. She's a big dog and 10 or 11 now so not that surprising, but there's always that gap between knowing on some abstract level that everyone dies someday and putting a cause and a timeline on it. Poor girl is a very good dog, most obedient and nicest dog I've ever known. Only thing we can do now is appreciate her for the time she has left and make her comfortable when her health starts to decline. :(

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I'm sorry. That's always rough and even when it isn't surprising it's still upsetting.

:bro:

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    :bro: sorry to hear that.

Dinner is 11 now and every year when i take him to the vet for a checkup i worry that this is the year she'll tell me his heart murmur has gotten bad.
    Fortunately so far it's only been his teeth that are terrible.

Levy, on the other hand is "Perfect, but she probably already knows that."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm confused, which one of those is loss.jpg?

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Snoopy likes to sleep with his legs stuck out in zombie mode.

ej7wd01h6v3b.jpg

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My dachshund is so buff that is the only way he can sleep
    Really that dog is jacked I have never seen abs on a dog before him

This discussion has been closed.