As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Lets Play Alien Isolation] Part 8 Still Medical

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    My microphone has picked up some background radio somehow. It's quite loud even, enough that compressing causes a weird sort of break in of the song and radio talking. I can't figure out how to remove it and unfortunately @Monger who I usually scream at for help is off doing something texan somewhere so I have no idea how to fix this.
    It's driving me crazy too, smack bang in the middle of silence there's a freaking song playing! You can hear it in between gaps in my voice. It's too loud to remove with the usual stuff like noise gates and noise removal or I'll destroy my voice. >_<

I'm going to have to figure out a way to prevent this from happening in the future.
    Anyway itll be a couple more days because if worst comes to worst I may have to manually silence everything in between my talking which will take ages. :(

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Okay finally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJyaCLM_7Q

Second part should be up tomorrow, but cross your fingers cos the muxing randomly fucked up halfway through the second part. I hope it just needs me to retry it.

I am currently planning to set aside as much of sunday as possible to try and get through medical. If my nerves can take it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Have you started medical, yet, morninglord?

Also, it's interesting to see how different your playstyle is. When I get scared I tend to just make a brisk b-line for where ever I need to go.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    edited August 2015
    Nope, starting it on Sunday. I'm gonna eat myself a hearty breakfast, do my exercises, set everything up, take a deep breath and do this thing.
    Expect much fake machismo descending very quickly into struck dumb terror mixed with occasional pathetic mewling.

I'm completely outside of my comfort zone because my normal response to a horror threat is to KILL IT KILL IT NOW.

Morninglord on
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Just to let you know, in case you haven't realized it yet, the motion tracker only shows things that are moving. If the alien, or anything else for that matter, is standing perfectly, totally still you won't be able to see it on your tracker.

Edit: That's why in that last part when you kept hearing something near you but only checked after the noise stopped you weren't seeing anything. You've got to actually check while the thing is moving.

Gundi on
    edited August 2015
    Yeah I know that from the androids. Why did I get weird ass static on it at times? It showed what looked like ghost positives or something like that. Moving dots were blinking on and off and the screen had moving bars on it, old school computer monitor breakdown style. Does it just freak out when there are too many things on screen?

Morninglord on
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that in the vents the signal gets messed up. It means that if you're sneaking around in the vents you can never be quite sure where things are.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

So, neat thing about the game: the game always knows where the alien is. There is a secondary network of passageways that the alien has access to and you don't that the alien uses to navigate the station, and the game is always thinking for the alien, moving it through that network. If you think that the motion detector is picking up the alien, it probably is. It may or may not be allowed to come out at any given time, but it's always hunting you.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    edited August 2015
    Gundi wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that in the vents the signal gets messed up. It means that if you're sneaking around in the vents you can never be quite sure where things are.

The signal is really screwy in vents but the little bars at the bottom seem to work. The ones that tell you approximate directions.
    This wasn't in a vent, it just before I went back out into the main big observatory area with the floor vent, I was hiding next to a little closet and pointing back where I had come. There were two dots on the screen and the screen did a weird bar moving thing. The dots occasionally flickered as well even though they were moving. It was odd.

Morninglord on
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I think you'll occasionally get false positive glitches

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Do you guys want to see it all with my commentary of what I'm thinking about? Or just a montage of deaths and skip the learning part?

Show me.. show me everything.

I want to see everything.

Melkster on
    edited August 2015
    Okay finally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJyaCLM_7Q

Second part should be up tomorrow, but cross your fingers cos the muxing randomly fucked up halfway through the second part. I hope it just needs me to retry it.

I am currently planning to set aside as much of sunday as possible to try and get through medical. If my nerves can take it.

Ha, I'm laughing at that one room you walk into towards the beginning of the video. It's like a small work room area with a vent on one side. When you walk in, it automatically opens.

Can you guys imagine working somewhere where every single time you walk into your workspace room, the creepy sphincter like hole opens up with a super loud "CRRARRRRR" sound?

That would get real old, real fast.

Melkster on
    Haha wow, the game is totally fucking with you here. I'm 99% sure that the alien won't show up after the siren blows. Could be wrong about that though.

I think this kind of motion tracker bullshit doesn't happen after this point in the game -- if the alien truly isn't walking around, there might be blips that fly around, but it doesn't just linger for super long periods of time like it does in the segment you're playing.

I might be misremembering though... Or maybe I just didn't use the motion tracker that much after the early part of the game.

edited August 2015
    I am 100% convinced that it was following me. I move on a bit, bump bump from behind me and then look at the tracker and its closing on me. A couple of times it stopped over my head. It was always where I had just been.
    I basically felt like if I stayed still for too long I was going to be one of those rare people who had it rock up prior to medical to chew on them.

Morninglord on
    I am 100% convinced that it was following me. I move on a bit, bump bump from behind me and then look at the tracker and its closing on me. A couple of times it stopped over my head. It was always where I had just been.
    I basically felt like if I stayed still for too long I was going to be one of those rare people who had it rock up prior to medical to chew on them.

In the section that you just posted, she doesn't leave the vents. But as I note above, she is present and hunting you. She knew exactly where you were, she just wasn't able to do anything because she's not allowed to leave the vents during that section.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Yeah that's what I figured. It's basically a training sequence. This is what its like when the alien is in the vents. This is roughly how fast it follows you. Pay attention.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

In the section that you just posted, she doesn't leave the vents. But as I note above, she is present and hunting you. She knew exactly where you were, she just wasn't able to do anything because she's not allowed to leave the vents during that section.

Well... She won't leave the vents in that section. But that doesn't exactly mean you're safe.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I recently double dipped on the PS4 version of this and it's cool how the motion tracker sound comes out of the PS4 controller. Very clever.

• mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Ceno wrote: »
    I recently double dipped on the PS4 version of this and it's cool how the motion tracker sound comes out of the PS4 controller. Very clever.

That's pretty neat. I remember on the xbone version there being some options to let the Kinect mic pick up noise around you that could alert the alien and other baddies.

Yeah, no, I don't need to hand my cats another method of getting me killed. Or my wife. Hah, she would have fucked with me so bad.

mosssnack on
    XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
    Fakefaux wrote: »

Well... She won't leave the vents in that section. But that doesn't exactly mean you're safe.

Shh... she can hear you.

I'm doing one last run myself now. Last run for a while at least. I beat the game on Hard, and I went back on Novice to clean up the collectibles. Now, I'm tackling Nightmare. No deaths so far, going into chapter 12. The biggest thing so far is that there are absolutely no supplies. I've been able to build three Medkids, one EMP, two noisemakers, and a smoke bomb or two.

Game spoilers, including a screenshot, under the spoiler tag:
    I haven't died yet, but I have gotten way too close.
    32211C1039756EE5059545897B7074E15EA8149A

I got lost for a moment, not having a map, and I went the wrong way in the "escape" from the lab before it gets blown off into space. I heard the alien come out somewhere, couldn't figure out where. I walked around towards the exit, and turned a corner to see the alien right in front of me, between me and the exit. Getting lost saved my life. So far, Nightmare has been like Hard but with fewer supplies and no map. Annoying by times, but pretty doable.

https://youtu.be/Mvm8-CqA3W0

God bless shadowhope and his blatant attempt to freak me out even further with his explanation of being hunted.

Very, very eagerly awaiting the next update.

edited August 2015
    I recently found out that you can set items eg medicine, pipebombs, noisemakers etc to the 6-0 hotkeys by holding the mouse over them in the pop up menu and pressing that key. I may switch back to mouse and keyboard in that case.
    Oh and the first few minutes of the next video will be me testing items in that starting area so I know how they work and then reloading. I'll make sure to voice out loud my thoughts so you know what I'm thinking.
    I may also do the same to the alien, try out different things, sometimes unexpected ones, just to test. Like at a save station. If I do that I'm going to reload before it eats me since it saves after you get eaten and I'm doing this to basically try whack off the wall shit I wouldn't normally do and I don't want to ruin the normal alien response over time to these items and etc.
    I test things, its what I do.
    I'm not going to do that in medical unless I'm having real trouble though. I'm going to try and beat it normally first. If I end up beating my head against a wall I'll start playing around with random stuff. It's how I break through barriers to progress, just start doing random whack ass experimentation. That's how I come across a lot of the weird technical stuff I post about in various threads. I game the game.
    Since this is my playthrough, and I would definitely do this normally, that why I intend to do it if I come across that kind of problem.
    Naturally I'll try to be as comprehensive about explaining my thought process as I can, to illustrate why I'm doing what I am doing.

Morninglord on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I think intentionally testing item interactions and AI of the alien by deliberately exposing yourself to it with every intention of just reloading and doing it again is very much against the spirit of this type of game, and can really only serve to devalue the experience by ruining the atmosphere and tension.

I know I was a hell of a lot more cavalier in the second half the game once I knew enough to give me a 90% chance of walking away from an encounter.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited August 2015
    Hence why I am only going to experiment with the AI if I have to. Which is kind of unlikely so don't worry about it. I doubt the game will be that hard.
    I'm absolutely going to figure out how the items work prior to actually meeting the alien, ie throw them all once near samuels and taylor. Knowing what happens if you throw a smokebomb isn't going to impact the game in any significant way. I'm not going to know how the alien reacts to it.

Morninglord on
    edited August 2015
    I JUST MET IT FUCK THIS LETS PLAY CANCELLED
    Not really but I did end up deciding to deliberately go get killed and quit because I could not take playing this with controller regardless of the better movement, cos you can't look around fast enough and this place is way too cramped. I'm going to switch back to mouse and keyboard. Sound is better for finding Mr Stompy anyway, so I don't care as much about the better peeking. And I really need those shortcuts which work incidentally.
    And I needed to check on the recording because it was picking up radio again intermittently. I think I need to change its settings, it has a setting meant for really loud sound which means i have to speak up, but it doesn't pick up radio on that setting. And I can fix the quietness of my voice in processing anyway.

But mostly I quit because I'm a big baby.

I'm going to go get a hug from my girlfriend. But I AM going to keep playing today.

Morninglord on
    edited August 2015
    OKAY

my second go went a little better but i still got eaten.
    at least i made it to the next save point

im so nervous im screwing up major stuff and i cant even think properly let alone plan a course of action and carry it out successfully.

also this radio interference i am getting is really pissing me off. i bought these things called ferrite sheathes, they are meant to stop this kind of thing, they did jack.

edit: alright its completely random and sometimes its really loud. also its gotten noisy here at home again since i've had to spend several hours testing various positions and settings and all that bullshit to try and get rid of this rfi. ive run out of time. i am going to have to leave it. im going to have to seriously research this shit this week because this is driving me insane. there must be a way to fix this.

for those who don't know whats im talking about its basically this: when i record with audacity some part of my setup is acting like an antenna and my voice recording is getting various radio programs like music, talking, talking in a foreign language etc, mixed up with my voice. removing it is time consuming and inherently destructive to the quality of the sound, especially when you are a sound nub like me.

Morninglord on
    Sound is better for finding Mr Stompy anyway, so I don't care as much about the better peeking.

The sound design in the game is pretty good for telling you what Ms. Stompy is up to.

• ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    for those who don't know whats im talking about its basically this: when i record with audacity some part of my setup is acting like an antenna and my voice recording is getting various radio programs like music, talking, talking in a foreign language etc, mixed up with my voice. removing it is time consuming and inherently destructive to the quality of the sound, especially when you are a sound nub like me.

Engineering Perspective: That's... actually quite an interesting situation. Somehow your audio setup is picking up a... umm.... probably an AM radio station (as opposed to FM) and somehow moving mixing it down into the audio frequency spectrum. That's actually quite interesting. Do you live close or in direct line of sight to a radio transmitter tower?

Computer Tech Perspective: Hey, are you using a USB mic or a 3.5mm connector to your (onboard?) sound card? If you're using a 3.5mm jack and have the time/money to solve this problem, maybe you can borrow/try a USB mic that is digital from the mic to the computer? This is as opposed to a mic that has a long 3.5mm connector to a USB dongle. The longer your cable from your mic to the actual point where it goes digital, the more susceptible you are to interference.

Personal Perspective: Take your time man.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
    It's a usb mic. http://www.bluemic.com/snowball/#/specs/

If I touch the metal cage on the mic it gets clearer and louder.

The sydney ABC Broadcasting station is down the road from me since I'm right on the edge of sydney CBD. I think it must be that. I am not entirely sure what I can do about it. It's also really weird because its so random. Some recordings are fine! Surely that place is broadcasting 24/7.

I am going to buy a really high quality usb cable with built in ferrite. Shorter too. If that doesn't work I might need to shift the computer around the house and see if I can find a spot that doesn't pick it up.

It's just loud enough that the highest peaks of the noise will mesh with the quietest parts of my voice, so noise reducing it degrades my voice, and it can't all be removed so I have to cover it with game audio.

edited August 2015
    Sound is better for finding Mr Stompy anyway, so I don't care as much about the better peeking.

The sound design in the game is pretty good for telling you what Ms. Stompy is up to.

It's sound cues have got longer range than the motion tracker.

I was able to do quite a lot of working out what is going on and even construct cunning ploys but for the most part I basically spent twenty minutes screwing up the execution in hilariously dumb ways, somehow not dying instantly, and then it tricked me for the ending. I am going to upload all of it because just telling the story to my girlfriend of that twenty minutes cracked her up.

Like to give you an idea of what was going through my head: I have a pretty bad cold today, but because I wanted to do this I just took some cold and flu meds. They interact with my adhd meds and make me feel a bit vague. So I was this mixture of vague, sick and absolutely terrified.

Morninglord on
    It's a usb mic. http://www.bluemic.com/snowball/#/specs/

If I touch the metal cage on the mic it gets clearer and louder.

The sydney ABC Broadcasting station is down the road from me since I'm right on the edge of sydney CBD. I think it must be that. I am not entirely sure what I can do about it. It's also really weird because its so random. Some recordings are fine! Surely that place is broadcasting 24/7.

I am going to buy a really high quality usb cable with built in ferrite. Shorter too. If that doesn't work I might need to shift the computer around the house and see if I can find a spot that doesn't pick it up.

It's just loud enough that the highest peaks of the noise will mesh with the quietest parts of my voice, so noise reducing it degrades my voice, and it can't all be removed so I have to cover it with game audio.

Oh no no, it's very unlikely that the interference is coming in over your USB cable! Don't buy another USB cable - USB's digital nature means that any RFI would cause packet loss as opposed to mixing radio stations into the recording. Your symptoms are typical of RFI in the analogue circuitry of the mic itself, before it gets digitised and sent out over USB. The only time that this will help is if your current USB cable is accidentally acting as a radio antenna because it just so happens to be the right length.

I'd be tempted to try and earth the metal cage properly, to be honest. The trouble is, it's actually really hard to earth properly, and it might end up that any recommendation I do make for you will create a massive group loop through your computer/USB ports.

Interesting aside: Our human bodies are okay make-shift antennas across a hilarious range of frequencies. Have you ever adjusted a pair of rabbit ears to get some TV channels, but as soon as you let go of the rabbit ears, the TV screen goes back to static? It sounds like the same deal here - when you touch the metal cage, you're acting as a radio antenna.

edited August 2015
    I'd say to try a different mic before trying anything else, if you haven't already.

Shadowhope on
    Every headset mic I've ever used hasn't had this problem.
    Buying another expensive mic is out of the question without trying everything that it is possible to try first.
    Is there any way to shield my mic from interference?

• ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Wallpaper your room with aluminum foil?

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Go to broadcasting-station with caestus.

edited August 2015
    Good lords, I've been searching for good science Youtube clips, but all I've found are a bunch of ... ... umm.... nutters who believe that radio waves are doing bad things to them.

Alright, ignoring the fact that this guy is a bit of a nutter, one way you can try and shield your mic is through a conductive mesh surrounding your mic (which is oddly what I thought the metal case on your microphone would do, to be honest). Make sure it's conductive - aluminium or iron would be great - plastic will have no real effect.

Substitute his radio for your mic, and instead of using a chicken coop, just get some fine mesh and make an enclosed container/cylinder around your mic. It's very important that it's enclosed, because radio waves are sneaky buggers. The idea being that the mesh will do just enough to lower the level of interference to manageable levels - I say manageable, because you're close to a powerful radio transmitter. It doesn't have to be that big, either, but try to make sure that the mic isn't touching the mesh if at all possible.

Some people might suggest aluminium foil, but you'll need quite a few layers/thick foil for AM frequencies.

Edit: Actually, his setup works well because his radio is powered by batteries. In some setups, it is entirely possible for radio interference to be picked up by a cable and channeled that way, but a lot of quality USB cables are well shielded nowadays, so hopefully that isn't the problem...

ecco the dolphin on
    edited August 2015
    That's probably why it gets worse when I touch it.

What is a "quality usb cable" and how can I tell?

Btw the previous update had some of this rfi in it, and you can't hear it, its just a pain to deal with when processing the audio. If the solution is an even bigger pain I'll just deal with it.

Morninglord on
    In terms of this conversation, a quality USB cable will usually be advertised as supporting USB 2.0 and later, and will have a foil/braid internally that wraps around the cables to shield the USB lines from interference.

In fact, it's very hard to get non-shielded USB cables nowadays - you'd have to be buying the cheapest unbranded misc cable from some dodgy dealer to have a shot at that.

edited August 2015
    Then its definitely shielded (its got a clear outer casing so I can see the foil wrapped cables) and must be the mic. It also only happens when it is on a single setting. It may have faulty wiring somewhere. I can stick it on the loud sounds setting, its just really annoying to deal with the audio then cos I have to bring it all back up. There isn't really a big difference in the end, either the second or third update was on that setting, can't remember which one.

Morninglord on