As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Grand Unified Thread for [Game of Thrones] (Book spoiler guidelines in OP)

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    one thing i noticed and was wondering about from last night's ep
    So that tree that they have the night king tied up to is the same wyrwood that is currently the home of the three eyed raven? Because when they create the night king it's looks like it's in the long summer and now it's wintery as hell.

Probably not
    I think a more likely theory is that the tree Bran saw when he got spotted by the King was the one the Night King was tied up to in the past

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    one thing i noticed and was wondering about from last night's ep
    So that tree that they have the night king tied up to is the same wyrwood that is currently the home of the three eyed raven? Because when they create the night king it's looks like it's in the long summer and now it's wintery as hell.

Probably not
    I think a more likely theory is that the tree Bran saw when he got spotted by the King was the one the Night King was tied up to in the past
    It definitely was. It had the spiral stones, just as in the earlier vision.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »
    The thing I was a little disappointed with on the Ironborn side was... (show/book)
    That Euron just seems to have shed so many traits from the book version. He's apparently not much of a godless man, as he and damphair get along just fine. No crazy shit about his crew or purple lips or finding weird shit around the world or any of that. Just a guy who killed his brother (kinslaying is apparently not a problem in Pyke) and promises power. Granted, he's got a more impressive plan than Yara's, but that's about it.

But I really just wanted "No godless man may sit the Seastone Chair"

book/show
    So far, I am deeply unimpressed by the show version of Euron. I don't think it'd be controversial to say that his entrance in the books was far more menacing.

Agreed
    The scene likely would have been improved if they just had him dump a bunch of chests full of treasure to help back up his claim that he knows how to get things done. As it stands his whole "let's build a giant fleet and then I will fuck the Dragon Queen into submission!" thing sounds stupid even by illiterate peasant sailor standards, which the Ironborn are decidedly not.
    I haven't seen much from the Ironborn that doesn't indicate that 90% of them are dumber than a box of rocks. Yara had a perfectly good plan of building a bunch of ships and carving out a kingdom. Euron's plan was to build a bunch of ships and then I guess give them to Daenerys as a wedding present. Why the Ironborn would be excited about plan 'bang the hot chick' is beyond me and why they think it would work can only be chalked up to having a high lead diet. Then there's the coronation ceremony where they starve their brain of oxygen for a few minutes and stick some driftwood on their had. And then Yara and Theon make off with the best ships in the existing fleet. Because nobody was keeping an eye on either the ships or the people who had been marked for death (and seemed to know they were marked for death, like seriously, is offing the loser at the kingsmoot a normal thing?).

God I hate the Ironborn so much. Sociopathic morons.

Re: The Kingsmoot

The Kingsmoot was among my favorites in the book. Not sure why -- maybe it was just seeing a Game-of-Thrones-style democracy in action.

The show version, on the other hand, sucked. So many cool details were missing -- like the fact that any sea captain may declare himself a candidate, and many did. Or how each captain brought gifts for the group -- and Euron wins a ton of points by bringing a metric shit ton of treasure from his adventures in Essos. Or how each candidate had champions who spoke on their behalf.

In the books it was this big huge fucking thing. Like a national convention for a political party here in America, except with viking-pirates.

In the show it was just.. Lame. Like a dozen dudes standing on a cliff somewhere, making some awkward speeches.

This was also how the historical vikings did it, bribes and all. Vikings had electoral monarchies, and for extra funsies they had regional, not national, assemblies, so it frequently happened that different regions chose different kings, with the expected results.

Also, overall great episode in an overall great season in an overall great show (some missteps not withstanding).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    White Walkers:
    It'll be interesting to follow what their motivations turn out being. All the players so far in the series are motivated by a lot of very human things like greed, revenge, pride or whatever it may be. It's going to have to be something really specific and nuts for magical superweapons that seem to spend their free time standing and looking at the tree where the first of them got made.

Also would like to gain more understanding of what they've been up to for 12000 years in which nobody, or few, have seen them.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Re: Kingsmoot
    When I watched Yara make off with the ships, I took it to mean that since she had been the one who stayed, raided, and reaved, she had the loyalty of the average sailers and soldiers. That's why the ship crews were willing to run off with her. Euron, in contrast, just shows up after being absent for years. What passes for ironborn "nobility" at the kingsmoot may be impressed with his family claim and his having a penis, but your average rank and file sailer isn't going to stand by him over the comrade they've fought with for years.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    also i would laugh my ass off if
    the show runners only knew that "hold the door" was the hodor origin and created this scene of deep emotion, irony, and poetry and GRRM's conception is like, hodor ran into a door or something and was heavily concussed and watched the scene from last night and was like "shiiiiit i gotta do some editing" pushing back the new book release like another 4 years

In the books, it's going to be revealed that
    Hodor was working in a warehouse for storing farming tools and his job was to make sure all the tools were put in the right storage areas. But he forgot which door the hoes were supposed to be sent to. And he was heavily chastised for not holding the hoe door open.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Also, in the books Euron was exiled for a reason. I don't think any mention was made of that here, so we're getting a very different character, which I find a bit sad.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Show:
    I'm seriously considering going to Starbucks and ordering a drink just so I can put my name down as "Hodor".

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    another thing
    Both Bran and Jorah have to deal with being "marked," (and by extension so did Varys and Theon and in a way Hodor) which was a nice thematic cohesion for the episode

If Bran's Night King mark let's the white walkers come through the wall, it would also be some nice irony that Bran Stark build the wall to keep the white walkers out and was the person that let them in

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I've seen this mentioned in a few show conversation spoilers, was the whole
    Bran built the wall thing ever mentioned in the show at some point or is this a book thing that has slipped into show spoilers?

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Bran built the wall thing ever mentioned in the show at some point or is this a book thing that has slipped into show spoilers?
    I want to say early on in the first season Ned explains the name origin

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Different one.

Maybe Book based spoilers but irrelevant:
    It was Bran the Builder which is like saying Paul Bunyan did it. Don't believe it was implied that it was the current Bran Stark.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Oh okay misunderstanding in my part. Thought it was the same Bran.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Reaction to last night
    Man, after I saw that episode, I had to turn my partner, who has been an unspoiled show only person and ask "Is this what it's been like the whole time? My god, I'm so sorry, what have I done to you!?" I feel so ashamed that I would get someone I ostensibly love to indulge in such painful entertainment.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    So did we get some pretty major mythology/plot spoilers in the show last night?

Potentially.

We won't know if they're spoilers or made up for the show until the books are out.

no, I am damn near 100% certain the big beats are GRRM's.

We now know
    how white walkers are made as of last season, and who made them first and why as of this season.

And it makes a ton of sense thematically.

Wait, the bit about last season. Can you remind me pls?

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Potentially.

We won't know if they're spoilers or made up for the show until the books are out.

We now know
    how white walkers are made as of last season, and who made them first and why as of this season.

i figured he was talking about from S4 with
    the baby from craster's keep that gets touched by a white walker and has his eyes turn white walker blue

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

Potentially.

We now know

a craster baby got turned into a white walker.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    holy shit that WAS two seasons ago.

GRRM, you need to speed up the writing

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    I have to say that, considering the immense size of the books, George R. R. Martin is downright prolific by any reasonable standard.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    another thing
    Both Bran and Jorah have to deal with being "marked," (and by extension so did Varys and Theon and in a way Hodor) which was a nice thematic cohesion for the episode

If Bran's Night King mark let's the white walkers come through the wall, it would also be some nice irony that Bran Stark build the wall to keep the white walkers out and was the person that let them in
    it's not really clear, but it felt like the night king could knock aside the defenses at any time, but he needed the mark to find bran

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I have to say that, considering the immense size of the books, George R. R. Martin is downright prolific by any reasonable standard.

Yeah, I know.

Im fine watching the TV show and getting the book version later. I just hoped that the show would speed him along.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Re: bloodraven, chillin' in the forest, bran the broken et al
    I am more than a little disappointed they excised the sinister undertones of the books with regard to Bran's training.

Bran being entirely disconnected from Mira, probably being fed Jojen by the COTF to increase his powers et al just sets the "woah" centres of my brain ablaze.

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    I am more than a little disappointed they excised the sinister undertones of the books with regard to Bran's training.

Bran being entirely disconnected from Mira, probably being fed Jojen by the COTF to increase his powers et al just sets the "woah" centres of my brain ablaze.

Shit. I really need to re-read the last book. I remember almost nothing from it.

• Options

Shit. I really need to re-read the last book. I remember almost nothing from it.

It's not super explicit but there are inferences to be drawn.

• Options
    I just went back and rematched a couple of wyrwood time traveling (that shit have a name) and forgot that
    Young Ned hears Bran at the Tower of Joy.

Can everyone time traveling do that, and the Three Eyed Raven knows the repercussions of it and Bran is just an immature teenager, or is Bran special?

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Also, book spoilers
    I am pretty convinced that the Knight of the Laughing Tree stuff and all the business with Lyanna andRhaegar being in love Islington go off rapid fire just before Jon's parentage is revealed.

Rather than the slow burn of the books where we know but no one else does, the subtle hints are there but the big bits are going to be saved for when they are most relevant. In party because the effect will be more intense, in part because otherwise people will forget everything

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm not crying; you're crying.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I just went back and rematched a couple of wyrwood time traveling (that shit have a name) and forgot that
    Young Ned hears Bran at the Tower of Joy.

Can everyone time traveling do that, and the Three Eyed Raven knows the repercussions of it and Bran is just an immature teenager, or is Bran special?

Underdetermined by the evidence. I lean to the former option.

• Options

re: jojen
    he's not dead in the books yet though. he's just very obviously going to die.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Julius wrote: »

The inference is:
    Jojen is sick, stops coming, Meera gets sadder and sadder and stops mentioning Jojen. Leaf feeds Bran a brown paste that seems like it might at least have blood in it, if not flesh.

Conclusion Jojen is fuuuuuuuuucked and possible sacrifice

Edit: I have misremembered the details pretty badly.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

its kinda ambiguous, it could certainly be read as if he's already dead. i don't buy the Jojen paste theory though, i think Bran is just being fed the sap from the weirwood tree.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Wow that's dark

• Options

The inference is:
    Jojen is sick, stops coming, Meera gets sadder and sadder and stops mentioning Jojen. Leaf feeds Bran a brown paste that seems like it might at least have blood in it, if not flesh.

Conclusion Jojen is fuuuuuuuuucked and possible sacrifice
    Oh yeah duh I forgot that bit. figured he would die early in the next book, but I can see the argument for him being already dead.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    One of the theories from the book-readers is that

(pretty much no new evidence being presented here but I'll spoil it anyway)
    Essentially, Bran IS the old gods, or at least is going to be the New Old Gods 2.0

He can look through the trees to speak to people and influence them and make them hear things

Now consider that the north prays in front of weirdwood trees

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Different one.

Maybe Book based spoilers but irrelevant:
    It was Bran the Builder which is like saying Paul Bunyan did it. Don't believe it was implied that it was the current Bran Stark.

Because of the Bran the builder story Bran is an extremely common name in the North

Neds older brother was also named Bran

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Tower of Joy:
    Bran says "Father!" As Ned is going up the stairs, giving him the inspiration to take Jon as his bastard.

Also, he's probably the Three Eyed Raven.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Tower of Joy:
    Bran says "Father!" As Ned is going up the stairs, giving him the inspiration to take Jon as his bastard.

Also, he's probably the Three Eyed Raven.

That's just so satisfying. Goddamn.

A friend said this episode was directed by a Lost director. I haven't double checked but that's just perfect if it's true with all the time travel.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Chrys's latest TL;DW is so good.
    http://imgur.com/a/eNr9W

I lost what remaining shit I still had a grip on at the Kingsmoot part.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    The most disappointing thing now the Kingsmoot has happened (book related)
    Where the fuck is Victarion, ultimate badass of the sea, Grejoy?

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    The most disappointing thing now the Kingsmoot has happened (book related)
    Where the fuck is Victarion, ultimate badass of the sea, Grejoy?
    On the boat with Gendry.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
This discussion has been closed.