As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Movies] When Dinosaurs Ruled the Box Office

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
Summer blockbusters are wrapping up now. We had a clear box office winner, even if it was polarizing in the eyes of critics, Jurassic World.

It had Chris Pratt and some other humans but nobody cares about them.

It had dinosaurs! Dinosaurs acting almost like people. It had slow motion and alley oops!

Some may say that Dr. Wu was another noteworthy human but I'm not convinced he isn't a dinosaur at this point.

I'm fairly certain the sequel is going to be Dr. Wu transforming into a human/Dino hybrid and destroying a major US city... We'll go with Chicago...before he is taken down by a t-rex flying a helicopter that shoots velociraptors from its guns.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Summer blockbusters are wrapping up now. We had a clear box office winner, even if it was polarizing in the eyes of critics, Jurassic World.

It had Chris Pratt and some other humans but nobody cares about them.

It had dinosaurs! Dinosaurs acting almost like people. It had slow motion and alley oops!

Some may say that Dr. Wu was another noteworthy human but I'm not convinced he isn't a dinosaur at this point.

I'm fairly certain the sequel is going to be Dr. Wu transforming into a human/Dino hybrid and destroying a major US city... We'll go with Chicago...before he is taken down by a t-rex flying a helicopter that shoots velociraptors from its guns.

I know you're joking, but I'm sure some script writer out there is doing something along those same lines already for the sequel.
    The T-Rex would be flying an F14 Tomcat, obviously

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'd watch it.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    One of the things that impressed me the most about Jurassic World (and I'll spoiler this, cuz ... well, movie spoilers)
    They managed to take the batshit insane plot device of genetically altered and trained dinosaurs from the previous JP4 script and molded it into something still batshit insane, yet workable. I would have loved to have seen that crazy TMNT meets Raptors meets Navy Seals story they had, but this works too.

Taking it back to some quotes from the previous thread...
    Brainleech wrote:
    Fawst wrote:
    Total Recall just started on TV. Did anyone tell Goldsmith his theme starts out sounding pretty much exactly like Anvil of Crom?

Also, credit where it's due: edited for content included the bystander on the escalator that he uses as a human shield. Nine times out of ten, "content" is sex and swearing, but the violence and gore stays in.

This is the reboot of Total recall?
    I only saw it once on tv and thought wow it sucks

No, this was the original. It's no Robocop, but it's still a pretty great film. I need to sit down someday and do a thorough analysis of it. The "is it real/is it Rekall" aspect is pretty awesome, and you truly could go in either direction with it.
    Blake T wrote:
    Terminator 2 is a genuine blockbuster action movie that is incredibly solid.

The original still has more flaws, but I like it more as it is written more as a action horror movie.
    T1 is pretty amazing when you consider the fact that it only had a budget of $6 million.

Also, as great as T2 was, it was dumbed down a bit compared to T1.

I will defend Terminator as being the superior film every single time I get the chance. I've been banging that drum for years, and some of my friends who insisted that T2 was better have finally started coming around. T2 is basically Terminator where Ahnuld got to play the good guy.

That said, Terminator being a direct ripoff of a bunch of Harlan Ellison stories gave it a major head-start on being amazing. Cameron being such a talented director sealed the deal.

• ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    T2 is still one of the very best action movies ever made. It's right up there with The Matrix and The Dark Knight for sheer technical prowess in the genre. Cameron used to be so good.

Used to be? Avatar may not have been his best movie (and I'd hesitate to call it his worst; I mean, he did make Piranha 2), but it's not like his career hit freefall or anything. I'd argue his world building for Avatar is as great an achievement as his technicality on anything else he's done.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    T2 is Cameron's best film though. It was amazing for it's time and it still holds up pretty well. The direction the Terminator franchise has since taken makes me sad.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    T2 had the perfect blend of "holy crap these special effects are awesome" and "holy crap the in-universe technology is awesome".

That shot where the T-1000 bloorps through the asylum door bars was crazy to my young mind. I doubt any special effects will have that lasting impact on me now, because I will just accept that computers can do whatever.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Weekend box office
    #5 Spy (~$8m)
    #4 Max (~$12m)
    #3 Ted 2 (~$33m)
    #2 Inside Out (~$52m)
    #1 Jurassic World (~$54m)

6F32U1X.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Jurassic World also cracked 500 million domestic gross and is the highest grossing movie of the year thus far

CYpGAPn.png
    There was still a fair amount of excellent pyrotechnic sequences that still look great. The helicopter chase, the big rig chase, and the minigun scene are all fantastic.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited June 2015
    The two things that T2 have going for them over the original for me are the effects and the lighting. T2 is just gorgeous with the exception of that one shot of the T-800 flying off the truck when it crashes outside the factory. That shot will always be terrible and the worst thing in any Cameron film.

My friend just emailed me saying he showed his 10 year-old son Terminator for the first time last night. "He kind of liked it." Apparently it wasn't that big of a hit because of the effects being so dated.

I don't know how I feel about this. I may be taking it harder than he is.

Fawst on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2015
    T2 is incredible. One of, if not the, best action movies ever.

My favorite Cameron movie might be True Lies though.

It's definitely not his best movie but I fucking love that dumb ass film.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I always found it odd that Jamie Lee Curtis's character never thought "man, my husband sure is built like a brick shithouse. I wonder why he works out so much?". No one ever brings that up in Arnold films. Like when she's thinking about an affair she never says to the guy "listen we should be super careful because you would not believe how enormous and ripped my husband is. He could literally tear you in half. He is bizarrely, professional bodybuilder levels of huge"

I mean did he have a home gym we never saw or was that part of his work day? And she never thought "I wonder why his job as a salesman or whatever requires him to work out for like three hours a day during the working day. What part of his sales process requires him to be so big that he gave it to uptown funk?"

Because it's a really dumb movie.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I mean did he have a home gym we never saw or was that part of his work day? And she never thought "I wonder why his job as a salesman or whatever requires him to work out for like three hours a day during the working day. What part of his sales process requires him to be so big that he gave it to uptown funk?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9IZDInBv1M

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well he could be the one taping books to his hand and looking at naughty things online
    sadly True lies was before the expected public access of the internet

He's supposed to be a computer salesman. I'm sure that's just the natural body you'd get from lugging old CRT monitors around all day.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    If you are going to make a sale you gotta look the part.

Similarly though, you'd think skynet would make robots that look like the General public but that didn't happen either.

"Give all of the robots heavy accents that do not match with their area. That will make them seamlessly blend in to their surroundings!"

I always figured that the t 800 needed to have a certain size of frame for logistical reasons.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    If you are going to make a sale you gotta look the part.

Similarly though, you'd think skynet would make robots that look like the General public but that didn't happen either.

Skynet made robots that look like computer salesmen.

forumsig.png
    I always figured that the t 800 needed to have a certain size of frame for logistical reasons.

This actually makes sense and I never really thought of it that way.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I thought that is why they hired him for Terminator

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    "Give all of the robots heavy accents that do not match with their area. That will make them seamlessly blend in to their surroundings!"

Also the T-300 can mimic other voices, so they can be American if they needs to. Maybe the Austrian accent is, like, the stock version of the OS - I think there's a deleted scene in one of the later Terminators that addresses this.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    T2's score was amazing too and a big improvement over the original.

Actually one of the reasons Arnold was picked for the role was his (at the time) naturally robotic cadence. Cameron straight up told him he sounds like a robot when he first met him.

The Austrian accent allows him to fit in better. Any weird social cue misses are chalked up to cultural differences from a foreigner rather than bizarre behaviour indicative of an insane robot. His infiltration can't be perfect, so it should be strange in an easily explainable way.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

I imagine it would serve as an adequate disguise if working in the United States.

"What is the deal with that dude?"
    "I don't know, he's European?"
    "Fucking weirdos...."

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Arnold's hugeness, Austrianness and general Arnold-ness are invisible to the characters in his films, i think

they're sort of... nondiegetic? like We The Viewers are seeing Arnold but the characters are just hearing an American accent and seeing a guy who looks like a middle-aged computer salesman

it's like how on Quantum Leap the characters see whoever Scott Bakula is being but we just see Scott Bakula

Nondiegetic hugeness. Superb.

The Austrian accent allows him to fit in better. Any weird social cue misses are chalked up to cultural differences from a foreigner rather than bizarre behaviour indicative of an insane robot. His infiltration can't be perfect, so it should be strange in an easily explainable way.

The T-800 beta candidate looked like Tom Hanks from The Terminal.

forumsig.png
    One of the high-points of Terminator 2 is how terrifying the villain is within it.

Arnold, in every Arnold film, is a Quantum Leaper, leaping into the body of a person who faces problems that can only be solved by being colossal and Austrian. Whether they're a commando, an evil robot, a pregnant man or a kindergarten teacher, they need an enormous tree of a man to provide the guidance and deadlifting ability to set right what once went wrong.

edited June 2015
    And then there's Twins, which is probably one of the few films where it's not just acknowledged, but an actual, integral plot point.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    In Twins, he just happens to be leaping into the body of another bodybuilder.

Dammit, that explains the accent quite well. I feel like I need to sit and ponder on the complexities of T2.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I love the fact that they considered O.J. Simpson at one point for the Terminator.

Of course, they decided against that, since who could possibly see that goofy guy as a killer?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular

i love this

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Have we touched on the best arnold movie yet?

Jingle all the way?

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Any movie where Arnold punches out a Reindeer and then shares a beer with it is okay by me.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

This discussion has been closed.