As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Piquant

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Piquant

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    trickcyclisttrickcyclist Registered User regular
    This is true. Don't ask how I know.

• Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    But, I like Pepsi. Never had a Red Bull, but I don't like the way they smell.

• Options
    JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    I used to drink Red Bull because I didn't know any better. Dark times.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    This comic brought to you by Coca-Cola: Drink Coca-Cola and enjoy it

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I actually like how Red Bull tastes. If it wasn't nearly three bucks for a tiny can I'd drink it more often.

So it's probably a good thing it's nearly three bucks for a tiny can.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    There's always Monster, which masks it's medicinal flavour with more sugar than you can shake a stick at. I like the yellow one (the brand names are impossible to remember, all variants on violence. Ripper, maybe?) because it's vaguely fruity. I harbour no delusions, no fruit was anywhere near the production line for Monster. But it's a good approximation of what fruit might taste like.

Also that Irish show The Fall has ruined the word piquant for me.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    The best description of the flavour I've heard is 'Smurf piss'.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I can't defend it since it's obviously not good for me and crazy expensive, but I have a 1-2 redbull a day habit. Plus the coffee. Loooootta caffeine.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I was always more of a Relentless guy in university, because the cans were bigger.

Then I stopped being beholden to brands and just bought whatever own-brand energy drink was available, like Red Rooster or some crap that was 93p for a 2 litre bottle.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    An accurate description of Red Bull. Monster, however, is a magical elixer. I had to stop drinking it when I started getting heart palpitations, though...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Whoah, them be fightin' words there Gabe! Don't insult the Pepsi fans! :D

Never was a fan of Redbull myself. I generally only drank them when it was freely offered. Seems like at least once a month they'd park a truck with a huge can on the back on the college campus and give away free cans for an hour.

My preference for LAN parties was Bawls. Had more of a creme soda taste with a hint of Sprite, which was weird, but better than Redbull.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    PeriSoftPeriSoft Registered User regular
    I don't know how I feel about the fact that they're trading off spots in the bathroom. That is an other level to which I am unsure it should have been taken.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I never got why people drink Red Bull. I know taste is subjective, but as I recall its mixture of caffeine/sugar/energy-boosters is a lot less potent than its competitors, so it seems like there were better choices if all you really wanted was a jolt. I guess just good marketing and being the first well-known energy drink made them what they are today. Now they could probably stop selling energy drinks altogether and still rake in the cash from everything with their name and logo on it.

I don't think I've had an energy drink since I finished college. Back then my weapon of choice was the orange Monster, or sometimes the Full Throttle "full citrus" flavor (which has a somewhat more natural taste than most energy drinks).

Gaslight on
  • Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    *casually sips his Pepsi*

• Options
    HeWhoSeesHeWhoSees Registered User regular
    How does Pepsi taste that different from Coke, anyway? I mean yeah it's a LITTLE different but not enough that one could truly be classed as tasting BAD.

• Options
    HeWhoSees wrote: »
    How does Pepsi taste that different from Coke, anyway? I mean yeah it's a LITTLE different but not enough that one could truly be classed as tasting BAD.

It's hard to describe, and I like both, but I'd say Pepsi tastes a little lighter and fizzier, and Coke tastes more... full-bodied, if that makes any sense.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Coke is sweeter, so much so that my teeth feel sticky after drinking it. Especially out of a plastic bottle.

I don't have that issue with Pepsi.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I've heard Red Bull's taste described as Flinstones Vitamins. The Yellow Red Bull<sic> which used to be a limited Summer Edition (at 7-11) is not bad, it tastes of grapefruit.

• Options
    Big_Red_FreakBig_Red_Freak go. big. red. Registered User new member
    edited July 2015
    *reading while drinking a pepsi*
    *stops and looks into the can*
    *shrugs and continues reading*

Big_Red_Freak on
  • Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I don't see a reason to choose an energy drink based on taste. You drink it to get the required effect, the taste is less relevant than potency.

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    From now on "Dronk" is officially the past tense of drink :p

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    So Gabe's one of those people in the restroom...

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Obviously they have not tasted the true horror that is RC Cola.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    HeWhoSees wrote: »

It's hard to describe, and I like both, but I'd say Pepsi tastes a little lighter and fizzier, and Coke tastes more... full-bodied, if that makes any sense.

Recipes also seem to vary by region.

There's a surprising diversity of sugarwater.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Obviously they have not tasted the true horror that is RC Cola.

Arby's here used to only have RC Cola, back when I was a kid. It was weird. I didn't hate it but it was definitely different.

According to Wikipedia RC Cola was created by a grocer in Georgia who got into a fight with the local Coke salesman because he wanted a wholesale discount, and finally said he could go create his own soda with blackjack, and hookers. So I guess that makes RC Lamborghini to Coke's Ferrari? Except not as glamorous or successful...

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Man, I haven't dronk an RC Cola in a long time. I remember it tasting like bottled sadness.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    iamnamelessiamnameless Registered User regular
    I thought there were some studies that showed that coke vs pepsi fanatics can't tell the difference once you take the stickers off, and the only real preference for coke comes from brand loyalty. Basically, coke actually tastes better (your brain enjoys it a LOT more) when there's coke label taped on it.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Hah, I would have used Dr. Pepper/Mr.Pib instead of Pepsi.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    I've actually developed a sort of disdain for soft drinks in general, so I just drink simple bottled water when I feel thirsty.

And yeah, I think the difference between Coke and Pepsi is mostly brand loyalty.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I thought there were some studies that showed that coke vs pepsi fanatics can't tell the difference once you take the stickers off, and the only real preference for coke comes from brand loyalty. Basically, coke actually tastes better (your brain enjoys it a LOT more) when there's coke label taped on it.

People prefer Pepsi when there are no labels. Which is why Coke created New Coke in the 80s (New Coke tastes more like Pepsi). But you are right, when the labels are put back on, people go back to preferring Coke. Even in the same sample. So when you tell a Coke person they picked Pepsi, their brains actually reverse the opinion and go back to disliking the Pepsi they had just picked.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

I can only speak for Canadian Coke vs Pepsi and when I was drinking pop I could tell the difference. And Pepsi has really cut down on the semen content in the last few years.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Redthirst wrote: »
    I've actually developed a sort of disdain for soft drinks in general, so I just drink simple bottled water when I feel thirsty.

I have developed a disdain for paying $1.25 a bottle for water I could get from the nearest sink.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    thepuregamerthepuregamer Registered User regular
    I think some people have it backwards. It is generally known that Pepsi is sweeter than coke which is why pepsi tends to do better in taste tests. If you are only taking one sip of a drink then pepsi seems better but if you are actually drinking a whole glass, then the sweetness can be too much for some people. That is why I personally prefer coke. Also my sweet tooth has been slowly going away as I get older. I remember that I actually used to drink dunkin donuts fruit coolata's as a teenager. Those things are gross now and I don't think they changed the recipe. Its something I notice after a a whole glass of coke/pepsi. Not that I drink as much non diet drinks anymore. The amount of exercise or dieting I would need to do to maintain my teenage and early 20's soda drinking habits is excessive. I'd have to cut 500 calories somewhere else or workout for an extra hour every day. Laziness wins out there.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Redthirst wrote: »

I have developed a disdain for paying $1.25 a bottle for water I could get from the nearest sink.

Then you live in a much better place than I do. Here, the ecology is pretty fucked to begin with. And with the war, we had to switch to another water source, which is even worse. So drinking tap water isn't a terribly good idea.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I rarely drink sodas anymore since I don't want to become a fatass, but to me, Coke, Pepsi, and RC Cola all taste fine and about the same.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    dronk is what I get when I've dronk too much to spork winglash porpoisely

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    I rarely drink sodas anymore since I don't want to become a fatass, but to me, Coke, Pepsi, and RC Cola all taste fine and about the same.

This. I have a preference for Coke, but it's all cola.

• Options
    HeWhoSeesHeWhoSees Registered User regular

I can tell the difference, but only if I see it being poured. The fizz with Pepsi imo is more foamy, like a proper fizz. Coke fizzles out faster and I can't enjoy the bubbles.

Though really I have to call any right I have to post in this thread at all into question, seeing as I only drink DIET soda. Blasphemy!

• Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    Red Bull tastes like angry desert monster piss and I drink it by the gallon. I hate my internal organs and will punish them with as much caffeine as I can muster, no matter how much like poison the beverage happens to taste. Fuck you fragile human carcass.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    In all honesty, I'd say it tastes "much like Mountain Dew, only sharper." Stronger bite, more of an aftertaste.