As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A GST About Who Owns Flavortown

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I've encountered people who felt that cooked green bell peppers are too spicy

I still don't understand like, at all

I feel everything is too spicy.

It's very inconvenient.

hippofant on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

My guess is that they conflate spicy and bitter. Both can cause a somewhat similar sensation in the mouth even if the actual flavors are different.

Cooked Green Bell Peppers are not remotely bitter.

Depends how long you cook them and how you season them. Which applies to a lot of (culinary) vegetables really.

A bell pepper with 10 minutes (still pretty firm but warm, has bitterness) in my oven is very different from one that's gone 20 minutes (skin still has firmness, other parts pretty soft. Very small amount of bitterness but mostly tart) which will be different from 40 minutes (soft throughout, little to no bitterness, some tartness, enough sugars have caramelized to create a notable level of sweetness for what we consider a vegetable dish).

Likewise some seasonings dull the taste of bitterness, salt being a big one. And IIRC basil shares a flavor compound with bell peppers that highlights the non-bitter, non-tart compounds in the latter. And if you're doing a longer cooking time, fish sauce complements the bit of charring that occurs well.

I hated how my parents prepared bell peppers mostly due to texture of uncooked ones so I've spent a lot of time observing how the taste and texture change with different cooking methods and time spent cooking.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

My guess is that they conflate spicy and bitter. Both can cause a somewhat similar sensation in the mouth even if the actual flavors are different.

Nor are raw ones. They're just 'vegetabley'

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    You spelled delicious wrong.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    did anyone bring up bagels and bialys

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

I've made the owner of a small kosher deli near me about faint when I came and asked if I could get lox and a shmear on a salt bagel (I live in Kansas City, so an order so NY in origin blew his mind).

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Every culture "steals" from every culture. Nobody's food is developed in a vacuum. It's all influenced by other cultures. Learning from others and then changing and improving on what you've learned is a good thing.

Sorry; the intent was not to downplay the quality of American food, regardless of the country of origin.

Up here we're constantly bombarded by aggressive claims of '[X] thing is CANADIAN, dammit!' because people feel that there's a lack of Canadian identity in things, and cuisine is certainly one of them. So I've been exploring the topic of what things really are home grown here or in North America as a whole (it turns out... not much. There were plenty of traditional First Nations dishes, of course, but none of those have really survived into modern Canadian cuisine).

You guys are a good hat. It's alright.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »

I had to look up the latter. Then I learned good ones are really hard to find. Then I was sad.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

This is not always true, and it is why you should taste everything going into a dish. To be fair, if you taste a cooked bell pepper and it tastes bitter it needs to hit the trash can, but I promise as someone who has cooked literal fucktons of bell peppers it can happen.

As for spiciness, I always use the rule of asking the customer what they think of jalapenos. But I've also had customers who ask where our pepper comes from because OMG its so spicy and is burning their mouths. People are fucking weird. But they also have money and think the things I make are tasty so I try not to think about it too hard.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Ah, Minnesota - the slums of Flavortown.

Dear Mr./Ms. Martin:
    It's not spicy, you're just old.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    "Make an objective assay of dishes that are spicy" seems to mean "Get the subjective opinion of someone like me!"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I realize I may be paraphrasing someone elses important stuff, but the simple truth is:

Spicyness is relative.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

Dear Mr./Ms. Martin:

I've gotten more tolerant of spicy food with age.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Dear Mr./Ms. Martin:

I've found I can handle the burn better but there's more digestive rumbling afterwards so it's kind of a losing proposition if I indulge too often. Which is a shame since there are a number of good Korean places around my office, one of which does freshly made noodles in a really tasty but really spicy seafood soup.

On a related note, at my last job I worked with a lot of coworkers that had been born in India and Korea and there are a ton of great Korean places in Northern Virginia. We were out at lunch at a Korean place that did a spicy tofu and egg soup and variations thereof where you could adjust how hot you wanted it. My Indian and a few Korean coworkers all decided it would be a good idea to do the Extreme spiciness level. Their soup came out with the same color as Sriacha and we wound up with a table full of half finished bowls and people in agony. I'd been to that place before and gone with a more reasonable "mild" (which doesn't mean quite the same thing at that place) or "medium."

Steam Profile
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    "Make an objective assay of dishes that are spicy" seems to mean "Get the subjective opinion of someone like me!"

Tbf you could report Scoville units per dish like you do with nutritional information, and holy fuck why doesn't hot sauce do that?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    What's a hipster

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    milski wrote: »

Tbf you could report Scoville units per dish like you do with nutritional information, and holy fuck why doesn't hot sauce do that?

Because then everyone would realize their vanity XXL condoms that show how MANLY they are hot sauce that shows how MANLY they are is basically a bell pepper and some vinegar thrown into a blender.

I'm all for it, since I tend to put hot stuff in everything I do and it'd be nice to know how much of something to add.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Dear Mr./Ms. Martin:

This is true of everyone.
    However your ass on the other hand gets less tolerant.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

this sounds like a lot of work i'm gonna go home and make kraft mac & cheese then douse it in precrumbled parmesan that i took directly out of the fridge

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

Because then everyone would realize their vanity XXL condoms that show how MANLY they are hot sauce that shows how MANLY they are is basically a bell pepper and some vinegar thrown into a blender.

I'm all for it, since I tend to put hot stuff in everything I do and it'd be nice to know how much of something to add.

Well yeah but everybody has to realize that when big dick's big dick hot sauce is barely a Thai mild, it really doesn't mean anything. At least with condoms you aren't trying different brands on the daily (probably).

I ate an engineer
  • Options

this sounds like a lot of work i'm gonna go home and make kraft mac & cheese then douse it in precrumbled parmesan that i took directly out of the fridge

Why is it that I come back to this thread to find heresy?

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2015

Well yeah but everybody has to realize that when big dick's big dick hot sauce is barely a Thai mild, it really doesn't mean anything. At least with condoms you aren't trying different brands on the daily (probably).

I totally shopped around for condoms basically daily when I was regularly having sex. Though I ended up going to find actual measurements on stuff (turns out basically everything is within a few millimeters of each other, with like two exceptions). I don't think there's any similar numbers for hot sauce >: (

But yeah, people need to accept that, for the most part, you use hot sauce to improve the flavor and add heat, not add heat cuz lawl heat. It's kind of a shame that flavor takes a backseat to level of spice.

Shivahn on
  • Options

I totally shopped around for condoms basically daily when I was regularly having sex. Though I ended up going to find actual measurements on stuff (turns out basically everything is within a few millimeters of each other, with like two exceptions). I don't think there's any similar numbers for hot sauce >: (

But yeah, people need to accept that, for the most part, you use hot sauce to improve the flavor and add heat, not add heat cuz lawl heat. It's kind of a shame that flavor takes a backseat to level of spice.

When I was a teenager, I often added as much heat to the food we had at home with what was available. In retrospect, this was because my parents were pretty middling cooks and the only things used to flavor food were salt, black pepper, white, pepper, garlic, soy sauce, and ginger. I would not be surprised that many who seek heat for its own sake had similar food experiences that just lasted a lot longer. When we went out to eat, I got to taste things with more flavor so I knew that herbs and spices existed even if my family never seemed to touch a leaf of basil themselves.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular

You could do this with hot sauce for the most part, but with like meals in a restaurant, it would be near impossible.

As anyone who has ever made jalapeno poppers can tell you, the spiciness of individual peppers is wildly variable even in a single batch.

• Options
    Alazull wrote: »

This is not always true, and it is why you should taste everything going into a dish. To be fair, if you taste a cooked bell pepper and it tastes bitter it needs to hit the trash can, but I promise as someone who has cooked literal fucktons of bell peppers it can happen.

As for spiciness, I always use the rule of asking the customer what they think of jalapenos. But I've also had customers who ask where our pepper comes from because OMG its so spicy and is burning their mouths. People are fucking weird. But they also have money and think the things I make are tasty so I try not to think about it too hard.

I love jalapeños. And also jalapeños are too spicey for me.

The ones I love are the ones you get most places, so pickled. The ones I hate are fresh ones, cause they are too for me.

So asking about jalapeños probably isn't a great benchmark.

• Options
    BSoB wrote: »

You could do this with hot sauce for the most part, but with like meals in a restaurant, it would be near impossible.

As anyone who has ever made jalapeno poppers can tell you, the spiciness of individual peppers is wildly variable even in a single batch.

You could still give an approximate estimate. It's gotta be more precise than "mild" is gonna be.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Alazull wrote: »

I love jalapeños. And also jalapeños are too spicey for me.

The ones I love are the ones you get most places, so pickled. The ones I hate are fresh ones, cause they are too for me.

So asking about jalapeños probably isn't a great benchmark.

Your first line would tell me everything I need to know about how spicy a dish would be for you.

Realize you're talking to someone who has worked for over 12,000 hours making food for people. As my first chef would say, "Don't pull a gun on Wyatt Earp."

• Options
    edited August 2015
    If you asked me "do you like jalapenos" and I wasn't feeling like going into my "Vinegar is the fucking best thing ever" pitch, I would respond "yes" Or "Give me a fork and a jar" or something.

But I know about fresh vs pickled jalapenos. I don't know if I would assume everyone knows that.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    If you asked me "do you like jalapenos" and I wasn't feeling like going into my "Vinegar is the fucking best thing ever" pitch, I would respond "yes" Or "Give me a fork and a jar" or something.

But I know about fresh vs pickled jalapenos. I don't know if I would assume everyone knows that.

I do not, what is the difference? Which ones are in poppers and which ones get put on my nachos?

• Options
    edited August 2015
    BSoB wrote: »

You could still give an approximate estimate. It's gotta be more precise than "mild" is gonna be.

With a machine? I mean, you can maybe do it with hot sauce and spices could be labeled with their scoville rating, but a raw pepper? You're going to have to test each one individually, and/or test the finished product. Perhaps a place like McDonald's or Applebee's that serves pre-fabricated food could do it, but something from a smaller restaurant? Good luck, figure out if you like spicy food and what you can tolerate and actually talk with your server. If you're at a decent restaurant, the staff should be educated enough about the menu to be able to help you avoid things that would be too spicy for you. Again, every palette is different, scoville ratings are themselves subjective, and ultimately you might be able to handle the heat while eating a dish but might want to avoid discomfort caused by spicy food.

The op-ed as written is basically moronic dribble. While I'm sure there is a spreading of people who like spicy food and more spicy dishes in restaurants, I highly doubt that the person who wrote it can't find a single "hip" place to eat where everything is too spicy for them. And if they really can't, its probably something like I.B.S. or something like that, but they don't want to feel left out by not being able to go out to places that use spice beyond three year old ground black pepper.

Alazull on
  • Options
    edited August 2015

The point is that I'm not asking if you like them or anything like that, I'm asking you what you think about them. You told me you like them, but that they are too spicy for you.

So for example, my duck sausage and shrimp soup that contains serrano peppers and creole spices is probably too spicy for you, but that the steak au poivre would probably be okay for you because the cream in the sauce pretty much blunts the heat from the large amount of pepper.

Now if you did tell me that vinegar was the best thing ever, I'd recommend you have my prosciutto and butterkase sandwich with dijon, olive tapenade and cornichons. Perhaps with an appetizer of some of our pickled squid and/or marinated artichoke hearts.

The town I work in contains a lot of older folks that we rely on as a large part of our customer base outside of tourist season, so the idea of being able to accurately gauge what the spice level of something is and figuring out how someone might react to it is something I've had to learn.

Alazull on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

I do not, what is the difference? Which ones are in poppers and which ones get put on my nachos?
    Poppers are generally made from fresh jalapenos, nachos are generally pickled from a jar.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I have a friend who eats so much spicy food they use ground ghost pepper like most people use salt.

Seattle's milquetoast tastebuds make it rough for them.

• Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I have a friend who eats so much spicy food they use ground ghost pepper like most people use salt.

I find that I started eating way hotter food when I left California, because the food in Maryland is largely not hot, so I've started overcompensating in my own cooking.

• Options

If you think Seattle is milquetoast its because you haven't looked around for restaurants.

Ground ghost pepper is impressive, but I would imagine your friend has a hard time finding anywhere that satisfies his spice level if that is true.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    There is a lot of flavor in Seattle but not necessarily a lot of "hot". Though this is good since it means you rarely get something that is so hot you can't taste it.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    The Emperor protects, I guess.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

I see this as essentially equivalent of people who have to put ketchup on everything. Like, if you have to douse everything you eat in huge amounts of spice (or sugar, salt, whatever) have you not essentially destroyed your own palate?

:so_raven: