As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] If you build it... we will awesome

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    So I have a tale for you that hopefully elicits a few wry chuckles and sage nods. About a year and a half ago, deep in my drunken phase, I decided I wanted a new computer and I didn't want to build it myself (didn't trust the hands, you see). So I looked around and found a company that would build what I wanted for what I considered a reasonable premium, and they had good word of mouth. So I placed my order (essentially an i7-4930K watercooled in a push/pull, 16 GB RAM, 780Ti). They delivered on-time, and everything looked good. Fired it up, and had some good times.

Until last week, when the computer just shut down while browsing this very forum. It would then consider starting, but never POST. Now the only cheap component in the whole build was the power supply, and I assumed that it finally gave up. Today I finally got around to performing the autopsy, when I discovered that the cause of death was decidedly other.

Upon receipt I performed an inspection, making sure it was wired up correctly etc. This was admittedly cursory, and since it lit off and kept going I was complacent. Today I learned that to fit the push/pull, they sandwiched two DIMMs between the radiator and second fan. That low strain, over the course of months, eventually damaged the mounts for the DIMMs causing the motherboard to fail. I pulled everything, removed the memory from the damaged sockets, and reconfigured the cooler but to no avail: the motherboard is done.

Lesson learned, always do the work yourself or be very thorough inspecting the work of others. At least I got some solid time out of the machine, and I'm hopeful the processor, gpu, and some (maybe all) of the memory is salvageable.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    So I have a tale for you that hopefully elicits a few wry chuckles and sage nods. About a year and a half ago, deep in my drunken phase, I decided I wanted a new computer and I didn't want to build it myself (didn't trust the hands, you see). So I looked around and found a company that would build what I wanted for what I considered a reasonable premium, and they had good word of mouth. So I placed my order (essentially an i7-4930K watercooled in a push/pull, 16 GB RAM, 780Ti). They delivered on-time, and everything looked good. Fired it up, and had some good times.

Until last week, when the computer just shut down while browsing this very forum. It would then consider starting, but never POST. Now the only cheap component in the whole build was the power supply, and I assumed that it finally gave up. Today I finally got around to performing the autopsy, when I discovered that the cause of death was decidedly other.

Upon receipt I performed an inspection, making sure it was wired up correctly etc. This was admittedly cursory, and since it lit off and kept going I was complacent. Today I learned that to fit the push/pull, they sandwiched two DIMMs between the radiator and second fan. That low strain, over the course of months, eventually damaged the mounts for the DIMMs causing the motherboard to fail. I pulled everything, removed the memory from the damaged sockets, and reconfigured the cooler but to no avail: the motherboard is done.

Lesson learned, always do the work yourself or be very thorough inspecting the work of others. At least I got some solid time out of the machine, and I'm hopeful the processor, gpu, and some (maybe all) of the memory is salvageable.

I'd take that up with the company who put your rig together for you. That is not ok.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

I'd take that up with the company who put your rig together for you. That is not ok.

Yeah, but I didn't take photos (was too baffled I guess) and at the end of the day it's just money. I'm really not worried about it, and I was getting the new computer itch anyway.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Yeah, but I didn't take photos (was too baffled I guess) and at the end of the day it's just money. I'm really not worried about it, and I was getting the new computer itch anyway.

Want me to build it for you? :P

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Ugh. I can't find my Windows 7 installation disc. I was figuring I'd try out my new motherboard tonight, by reinstalling Windows, but now I'm thinking I'll have to try booting from the old installation even though it probably won't like all the changes I made.

At least Windows 10 is coming out soon, I suppose I could just buy Windows 10 Home.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Ugh. I can't find my Windows 7 installation disc. I was figuring I'd try out my new motherboard tonight, by reinstalling Windows, but now I'm thinking I'll have to try booting from the old installation even though it probably won't like all the changes I made.

At least Windows 10 is coming out soon, I suppose I could just buy Windows 10 Home.

Use a program to pull your product key out of windows, then make an installation media onto a USB.

I have done this so many times recently.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    The only seemingly decent item re: PC gaming in today's Amazon Prime sale bonanza seems to be the $20 360 controller.

I'm on the waitlist. Hopefully I'm actually able to get it.

• Options
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    The only seemingly decent item re: PC gaming in today's Amazon Prime sale bonanza seems to be the $20 360 controller.

I'm on the waitlist. Hopefully I'm actually able to get it.

Yeah, I threw the pieces I want in my wishlist on Amazon and Newegg. I'm about to go on vacation for a week so I'll periodically monitor prices, and if they don't drop before then pull the trigger when I get back. Just haven't decided if I want new everything, or try incorporating potentially faulted gear. The one thing I will probably do is get the NZXT adapter to watercool my 780Ti, because it's still a beast for 1080p and I'm not quite ready to go 4K (tri-monitor is sadly not worth it for most games. I still do it for Stompy Mechs from time to time, but the 780Ti is fine for that).

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    You know...

I think Team Green's board partners could literally have lost a couple of 980 Ti sales to the R9 Fury X by virtue of just not being able to keep any cards in stock at online retailers.

Certainly if someone is dead set on an AIO liquid-cooled top-end GPU.

EDIT: Actually, never mind -- the R9 Fury X seems to be sold out everywhere too. Go figure.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I've went up to the NZXT Kraken from Corsair, pretty much the same but much quieter.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    btw, NewEgg is offering a $40 NewEgg gift card + a code for Batman (whenever it's fixed) on a bunch of 980's.

In short: after the $10 MIR + the $40 NewEgg gift card, you're getting a GTX 980 for $450.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Pfft, that's nothing; I got a Like New Strix 980 from Amazon Warehouse for $390... this morning at 4am >.>

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Pfft, that's nothing; I got a Like New Strix 980 from Amazon Warehouse for $390... this morning at 4am >.>

Prime member, eh? I've been trying to find something from the warehouse that looked to be worth it, but I came up empty.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Guys, remember how my computer was losing USB power for like no reason? And how I'd tried just about everything and figured screw it, I'll have to build a new one in the fall?

I think I finally fixed it out thanks to Endolith's post here: http://superuser.com/questions/53740/why-is-my-usb-mouse-disconnecting-and-reconnecting-randomly-and-often

Apparently there was a corruption issue with my registry...sometimes Windows biffs up the profiles when you detach/reattach USB devices. It sounds like this gets exacerbated if you plug in the same device to different USB ports, because Windows will create a separate entry for that same device in a new port (which is why the problem appeared after I moved to a new house and re-attached everything). I think the issue is that Windows tries to back up the profiles in the registry and the corrupt issues prevents it from doing that or something, so it re-detects and that's why power disappears for a hot second.

In any case, I used USB Deview and cleaned out all of my old devices that were no longer in use and a day later...no issues! Fingers crossed...

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    This may be weird to say, but I teared the silly goose up reading this:
    (this OP is shamelessly stolen/modified from our missing overlord alecthar (via Jebus314), who may or may not be suffering heat stroke from quadfired R9 290X's)

Quadfired 290X's have not taken my life! I never liked Bitcoin mining anyway...

No, much to my shame my once mighty computing kingdom has fallen into disarray. An unfinished server lurks on my dining room table. 8 "cores" of AMD might sit wasted along with their companion, the once mighty 780 Ti. And finally, my monument to needless excess has been...diminished:
    e7bcu2776c4x.jpg

Where once the grand 580s ran free, rendering room heating unnecessary even in the dead of winter, now there is only the loathsome 980 Ti. Look how it sits, the glowing logo mocking 1200 watts of thoroughly needless power. Fortunately, a new challenge is on the horizon and with it, a new vessel:

koaeh48664vd.jpg
    t6t5irsblsgd.jpg

PC Builders, I ask you to do what my conscience cannot: convince me not to Do. This.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Surely you're aware we're not in the business of telling you you should definitely not do that

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    You won't do it.

Wimp.

You can't handle that much CPU

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    You won't do it.

Wimp.

I'm worried that's true...

Really, though, part of the issue for me would be the non-standard cooler mounting. Maybe a community member will show off a way to hack a reasonable AIO cooler onto that unusual backplate, but if I'm waiting for that, Skylake is probably going to come out in the meantime. Though actually that's probably a win-win. If Skylake hits and I still want all the extra cores (that I'll probably never need...) then it's not like Haswell-E will be gone.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Alecthar???? Good to see you!

Do it.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Alecthar wrote: »
    You won't do it.

Wimp.

Really, though, part of the issue for me would be the non-standard cooler mounting. Maybe a community member will show off a way to hack a reasonable AIO cooler onto that unusual backplate, but if I'm waiting for that, Skylake is probably going to come out in the meantime. Though actually that's probably a win-win. If Skylake hits and I still want all the extra cores (that I'll probably never need...) then it's not like Haswell-E will be gone.

You mean like the Corsair H100i? Apparently, it's supposed to be compatible with Socket 2011-v3

...or is there something more that I'm missing?

EDIT - although, looking at the internals of that case closer, it looks like you'd be missing readily available space for the 240mm radiator. Oh well...there's always this one instead (H80i)

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    You won't do it.

Wimp.

You mean like the Corsair H100i? Apparently, it's supposed to be compatible with Socket 2011-v3

EDIT - although, looking at the internals of that case closer, it looks like you'd be missing readily available space for the 240mm radiator. Oh well...there's always this one instead (H80i)

You can actually stuff a 240mm radiator into an M1 if you're careful. The issue is that the ITX board is so small and so cramped that they used a server cooler mounting design. So the socket itself is 2011-v3, but standard brackets for 2011-v3 coolers won't work, at least not without some kind of hack.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    This may be weird to say, but I teared the silly goose up reading this:
    (this OP is shamelessly stolen/modified from our missing overlord alecthar (via Jebus314), who may or may not be suffering heat stroke from quadfired R9 290X's)

Quadfired 290X's have not taken my life! I never liked Bitcoin mining anyway...

No, much to my shame my once mighty computing kingdom has fallen into disarray. An unfinished server lurks on my dining room table. 8 "cores" of AMD might sit wasted along with their companion, the once mighty 780 Ti. And finally, my monument to needless excess has been...diminished:
    e7bcu2776c4x.jpg

Where once the grand 580s ran free, rendering room heating unnecessary even in the dead of winter, now there is only the loathsome 980 Ti. Look how it sits, the glowing logo mocking 1200 watts of thoroughly needless power. Fortunately, a new challenge is on the horizon and with it, a new vessel:

koaeh48664vd.jpg
    t6t5irsblsgd.jpg

PC Builders, I ask you to do what my conscience cannot: convince me not to Do. This.

982aebe2d39aaf5c291f64f526166066.jpg

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I think you could bastardize a bracket by combining/modifying what comes with the H100i and the cooler bracket that comes with the board. You only have to care about the hole pattern; so you basically just need to make the ring bracket fit the bolt hole pattern.

Also, it may be worth contacting Corsair directly. Those guys seem to be savvy enough to be willing (and able) to help. And if you can't get in touch with the right people, I may be able to do some creative emailing to PC video makers and see if they can contact their Corsair reps (Newegg TV, Tom's Hardware, MaximumPC, Tek Syndicate, etc.)

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »

Prime member, eh? I've been trying to find something from the warehouse that looked to be worth it, but I came up empty.

Definitely Prime member, yeah. As I figure it, the Warehouse was pretty much cleaned out of the good GPUs and monitors by ~6am Central. People were getting ROG Swifts for mid 400s something, but I didn't bite.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Newegg, love em!

Bought my 980 last Friday and got a great deal already <470$. Yesterday I seen they are offering a 40$ gift card and the Bat-Man game now. Fired up the chat and now I effectively got a brand new 980 for far less the 400 bucks!

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I found my Windows 7 install disc. I was rummaging around on top of the refrigerator to find my daughter's medicine and lo! there it was. No idea why I put it up there or how long it had been there.

Of course, I wasn't able to get anything done last night, my 7-year-old was up late complaining she couldn't sleep so I wasn't able to do anything more than get all the parts organized and sorted for install. Tonight perhaps.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Oh shit, this is definitely happening. Asetek makes a Narrow ILM bracket for their server AiO coolers...which use the same pump/block assembly as their consumer products. I've already got one on the way.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    You won't do it.

Wimp.

You can actually stuff a 240mm radiator into an M1 if you're careful. The issue is that the ITX board is so small and so cramped that they used a server cooler mounting design. So the socket itself is 2011-v3, but standard brackets for 2011-v3 coolers won't work, at least not without some kind of hack.
    Oh shit, this is definitely happening. Asetek makes a Narrow ILM bracket for their server AiO coolers...which use the same pump/block assembly as their consumer products. I've already got one on the way.

From that selected motherboard's Customer Q&A section:

Q: "Will the included water cooling mounting plate fit something like a H100i?"
    A1: "The water cooling mounting plate seems to be specifically designed for the H80i and H100i coolers. I'm not sure if there are any other models that it would work with."

There's another (longer) answer saying that you might need to contact Corsair and request the narrow bracket. So the end story is that you've got (non-hack job) options there if the Asetek doesn't work out.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I like where this is going.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Welcome back @Alecthar !

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    All hail the return of thread overlord Alecthar!

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, at the other end of the spectrum.. :biggrin:

With the general poop nature of Amazons Prime Day sale, I was not able to get the components I desired to upgrade my system, so I come to you for opinions on the G3258, which I intend to pick up as a stopgap until there is a better sale on Intel's K processors, I intend to overclock it of course.

I currently have a 3ghz Athlon II quad core, would the well overclocked G3258 crush it as I think it will? Enough to give me playable framerate in Arma 3 that I've wanted for so long? Anyone have experience with it?

The plan, hopefully with a good aftermarket heatsink and fan, is to get the G3258 to 4ghz or beyond.

• Options
    It will blow it out of the water while cackling madly. Post your progress!

• Options
    @Mugsley thanks for the quick reply, got an opinion on the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo?

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

The plan, hopefully with a good aftermarket heatsink and fan, is to get the G3258 to 4ghz or beyond.

I'm pretty sure those chips won't break a sweat until the mid 4's, so go nuts!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    BouwsT wrote: »

I'm pretty sure those chips won't break a sweat until the mid 4's, so go nuts!

According to the December 2014 PC Gamer:

"(...)you can overclock this chip up to 4.6GHz without really trying(...)"

• Options
    Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Really boosted my faith in my decision and in the cpu.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Mugsley wrote: »
    It will blow it out of the water while cackling madly. Post your progress!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849-4.html

Yup, looks like it should run fine.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, at the other end of the spectrum.. :biggrin:

With the general poop nature of Amazons Prime Day sale, I was not able to get the components I desired to upgrade my system, so I come to you for opinions on the G3258, which I intend to pick up as a stopgap until there is a better sale on Intel's K processors, I intend to overclock it of course.

I currently have a 3ghz Athlon II quad core, would the well overclocked G3258 crush it as I think it will? Enough to give me playable framerate in Arma 3 that I've wanted for so long? Anyone have experience with it?

It will do very well in-game. You may notice it being not as great if you are trying to do a bunch of stuff on the desktop at once compared to your quad-core. I have a G3258 (stock) in our HTPC and it is great.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.