As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Rorification

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Rorification

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    how does he stack up against the ballroids, though?

• Options
    TFXRavenTFXRaven Galactic Emperor Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    That center panel tho...

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Seems like Gabe and Tycho have swapped roles in this comic.

The ballhawk reminds me of Zeus, the owl with capsular cataracts:

rescued-blind-owl-zeus-61-480x240.jpg

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    That ballhawk looks awesome.

• Options
    Robotic DraconianRobotic Draconian Registered User regular
    I love their expressions on the right.

• Options
    I Apologised on 4chanI Apologised on 4chan Registered User new member
    Even though I'm as english as the christ and I should know this stuff, my knowledge of Rory McIlroy is vague at best since it concerns golfing. However I do remember a year or two back during the Open where he was making his big first splash that BBC (which was covering the competition) did a recap on Rory's previous day.

To pounding hardcore dubstep.

At 10:30

On a Sunday.

I don't really understand how that happened and was allowed to happen. My guess it was a convergence of things: One guy made a bet with the Editing department, the editing department with a thousand blasphemous voices took the poor mortal up on it, and since it was a sunday, the only people in the office are ones resentful to those who AREN'T in the office and it all came together in a Rory/Skrillex mashup with black and white zoom cuts and dropped beats.

They cut back to Claire Balding (I think?) blinking furiously, trying to work out if everyone had just seen what she had just seen or if the acid had just kicked in.

The answer, as always, was somewhere in the middle.

• Options
    Kous4k4Kous4k4 Registered User regular
    It's weird, this comic is great but it seems like the characters speaking should be switched. Gabe's elaborate description seems much more like something Tycho would say.

"What is our legacy if we cannot pass the torch? Proof of our existence - a mark of some sort. When the torch is passed on from parent to child... it extends beyond DNA; information is imparted as well. All I want is to be remembered. By other people, by history."-MGS2

Kous4k4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Kous4k4 wrote: »
    It's weird, this comic is great but it seems like the characters speaking should be switched. Gabe's elaborate description seems much more like something Tycho would say.

This might seem like the case, but remember that Gabe is the golfing expert

• Options
    ShinaganiShinagani Registered User new member
    I forgive the reuse of the Golgolfa joke, because it is still hilarious.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/05/22

Maye, they had Gabe doing the description because this comic is basically a direct mirror of that one?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Stop introducing continuity errors to my story

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    I love this kind of strip so, so much. <3 Glorious!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Shinagani wrote: »

Maybe, they had Gabe doing the description because this comic is basically a direct mirror of that one?
    Since both Golgolfa and Ballhawks are in it, I think it's safe to assume this was intentional and not just forgetting they made the joke a while back. So given that, and McIllroy is from an actual Golgolfa, that might mean the Golgolfa referenced in the previous strip was named that because it resembled the actual place bearing that name.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I would imagine Gabe has endured so much of Tycho's bullshit that he can mimic it as needed. But in this case, Tycho lacks the self-awareness to recognize this as mockery.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, the art

Gabe is blowing my mind lately

• Options
    AngryRobotAngryRobot Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I love the art and concepts here, especially the call-back to a much earlier strip. I've been slowly working my way backwards through the archive so it's funny to see the references.
    But man, WHAT is going on with the way Mike is drawing heads these days? Why does Tycho look like he has a permanently swollen brow? The indent of where the brow and cheeks meet really needs to move up about an inch. I miss when he had a stylized rectangle for a head. Gabe hasn't changed all that drastically aside from his bucktooth. Just a bit squishier.

AngryRobot on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    "He carries with him no clubs but the green speech. He speaks those words which only balls know, and balls obey." is some god tier Jorbie Horkins writing.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Shinagani wrote: »

Maybe, they had Gabe doing the description because this comic is basically a direct mirror of that one?
    Since both Golgolfa and Ballhawks are in it, I think it's safe to assume this was intentional and not just forgetting they made the joke a while back. So given that, and McIllroy is from an actual Golgolfa, that might mean the Golgolfa referenced in the previous strip was named that because it resembled the actual place bearing that name.

Golgolfa is the place where man's Final Round will be played, there's nothing in the ancient texts that claims there are no rounds to be played there before the Final Round.

I mean, people still play tennis at All England's Field in Wimbledon even when the tournament isn't happening.

• Options
    SpeethSpeeth Registered User regular
    Even though I'm as english as the christ and I should know this stuff, my knowledge of Rory McIlroy is vague at best since it concerns golfing. However I do remember a year or two back during the Open where he was making his big first splash that BBC (which was covering the competition) did a recap on Rory's previous day.

To pounding hardcore dubstep.

At 10:30

On a Sunday.

I don't really understand how that happened and was allowed to happen. My guess it was a convergence of things: One guy made a bet with the Editing department, the editing department with a thousand blasphemous voices took the poor mortal up on it, and since it was a sunday, the only people in the office are ones resentful to those who AREN'T in the office and it all came together in a Rory/Skrillex mashup with black and white zoom cuts and dropped beats.

They cut back to Claire Balding (I think?) blinking furiously, trying to work out if everyone had just seen what she had just seen or if the acid had just kicked in.

The answer, as always, was somewhere in the middle.

That is absolutely farking beautiful. And the story well told. Bravo.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    This is one of those strips where I can't wait for a podcast. I really want to hear them nailing down the exact wording, because I suspect this was distilled from a high-quality batch of material.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I wonder if Jerry every played Curse Of Nordic Cove. I heard about it when it was at PAX Prime in 2012. It was finally released this year. It'd probably make a good "First 15".

• Options
    ZaileeZailee PAXAus Enforcer CCFP AustraliaRegistered User new member
    Umm, that hawk on a shirt plz <3

• Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I'm reminded of Golf Question Mark. The world needs more weird sports games with excellent mechanics.

3A07.jpg

Agentflit on
  • Options
    WP - IanWP - Ian Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    9o3ln3mdd03x.png

Welcome to Golgolfa....

Equip your golf master with devastating hats, grandiose clubs and monstrous caddies.
    Each piece of legendary equipment is procedurally generated to unlock special abilities.
    Abilities like:

Power Boost - Adds velocity to the current shot.
    Power Sap - Removes velocity
    Spin Left - Lets you add spin, pulling your ball to the left.
    Spin Right - Uh.... the same but different.
    Rock - Stops the ball immediately in mid air.
    Phase - Allows the ball to phase through solid objects.
    Sticky - Ball will not bounce
    Detonate - Destroys obstacles near the ball
    Predict - Displays more than the first bounce.
    Blink Left/Right - Master teleporting your ball between dimensions.
    Putt - Stop the ball and add a small amount of force.
    and many others....

Or choose your epic caddie to unlock 2 special abilities:
    Hawk Crush - Hawk destroys whatever ball is heading towards.
    Magic Tee - Ball stops midair for a second shot.
    Time Leash - Slows down the gameplay
    Mana Refuel - Adds instant mana
    Mass Amnesia - Redo last shot.
    Multiball - Split into 6 smaller balls.

After your initial shot, follow behind the ball and unleash your special abilities to change the fate of your shot.
    For a golfer like you a single hole in one is pathetic compared to our multicourses where par is "6 holes in a single shot".
    Every hole you sink will launch your ball back into the fray with renewed mana.
    Mana that you'll spend on abilities to avoid the dreaded ball imps, sand rocs and the dreaded windmill horror...

Spend your abilities wisely and master Golgolfa

WP - Ian on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Serious question: anyone have an opinion on how these games compare with, say, Powerstar Golf? Seems like the graphics are obviously better, but is the gameplay any more compelling?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Oh! I guess I forgot to putt!

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail174.html