As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Accessing Steam In-Home Streaming Remotely

NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
Is it possible to access the Steam In-Home Steaming functionality remotely? Is this something a VPN is used for?

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Is it possible to access the Steam In-Home Steaming functionality remotely? Is this something a VPN is used for?

I'm sure it's possible, but I think you're making it too complicated.

For example, at my house I have my big machine hooked up via ethernet cable to the router, and I occasionally use in-home streaming on my laptop, which is on the house's wireless network. It works pretty well.

The way you describe it, I think your best bet would be to set up something like remote desktop on your primary Steam machine, connect to remote desktop, and play the games that way without using in-home streaming.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    ForceVoid wrote: »

I'm sure it's possible, but I think you're making it too complicated.

For example, at my house I have my big machine hooked up via ethernet cable to the router, and I occasionally use in-home streaming on my laptop, which is on the house's wireless network. It works pretty well.

The way you describe it, I think your best bet would be to set up something like remote desktop on your primary Steam machine, connect to remote desktop, and play the games that way without using in-home streaming.

Wow, this works great, thanks.

Questions answered.