As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocket League]: PA Rocket Society on Friday Nights

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, as far as I'm aware, normal matchmaking just throws you in with whoever. So you could end up getting some really good guy on the other team, which means as a newbie you're just not going to score on them.

Ranked will give you 10 matches figuring out which league you're in, whereby you'll play with players sharing a similar rank. So hopefully even if the other team is amazing, the guys playing with you should be also.

Once your rank is calculated after those ten games, you should end up with much more even matches. Which should lend to a more pleasurable gaming experience. Unless like me you somehow end up being super competitive about being mediocre at a video game (damnit brain!).

edit: Also on the smurf front, I'd imagine they'd probably be playing normals only. Since if the play ranked they'll soon be match with similarly skilled players.

Campy on
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Normal matchmaking uses a hidden MMR score to place you into games.

If someone makes a smurf account their first couple of games will be against low MMRs because the game hasn't figured it out yet but by game 3-4 they'll be playing at a correct-ish level.

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    The ranking system in this game seems much more reluctant to place players at a higher rank. I've heard lots of stories of people winning all 10 placements and only being put in silver 2.

• Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I want to like this game so much, and I was for a little while

and then I've been nursing a now 12-game losing streak, most of them shut outs. It's so disheartening to just watch people get double hat-tricks and somehow be able to do nothing about it over and over and over again.

Should I be playing Ranked or Normals? I've been playing Normals on the assumption that Ranked is where you just get completely wrecked if you're still learning the game.

Have you checked out any videos about positional play? I know I learned a ton from just the first episode of "Playing with Potatoes" and was immediately able to apply it to have bigger impact in my games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSxkiE32lXU&nohtml5=False

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    IIRC Season 2 based heavily on your previous season's rank as well, I lost about half my matches in 2s and was placed as challenger 1

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    IIRC Season 2 based heavily on your previous season's rank as well, I lost about half my matches in 2s and was placed as challenger 1

Yep! Pretty much. It reset confidence levels a bit, but not nearly as much as if you'd started a fresh account in season 2.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Cyrenic wrote: »

and then I've been nursing a now 12-game losing streak, most of them shut outs. It's so disheartening to just watch people get double hat-tricks and somehow be able to do nothing about it over and over and over again.

Should I be playing Ranked or Normals? I've been playing Normals on the assumption that Ranked is where you just get completely wrecked if you're still learning the game.

Have you checked out any videos about positional play? I know I learned a ton from just the first episode of "Playing with Potatoes" and was immediately able to apply it to have bigger impact in my games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSxkiE32lXU&nohtml5=False

I was about to mention that "hey I'd been checking resources" (that video in particular), but I usually just find myself slammed halfway across the map by someone any time I try to make any move that might be possibly in some way construed as roughly in a ball-ward direction.

So mostly my games consist of hang around midfield and be (roughly) useless.

• Options
    A lot of the time you just need to trust your teammates (to an extent).

If you have someone rushing past/through you to the ball, just back off and let them fight for the ball; adding yourself into the mix doesn't do anything useful. Ball crowding is a VERY real thing... you just need to deal with it unfortunately.

Playing midfield is perfectly good, and it becomes necessary especially when you get a good rotation going. You kinda have to sit back a little defensively, and only go in when your teammates completely whiff and you will make it to the ball before your opponents.

You will pull yourself out of it eventually though, so I encourage you to keep at it.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

This was pretty much my experience during the free weekend. It was really fun for like an hour and a half, and then I started getting matched with people who knew what they were doing and would go whole games without making solid contact with the ball. Then I gave up.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I very briefly tried Hoops today and got absolutely destroyed. My lack of aerial skills was keenly apparent and I found it more frustrating than fun.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Aerials certainly help, but are not required for hoops. 95% of shots I make are layups or throwing the ball high/hard into the angled corner.

Defense is very difficult in that mode, so you are served best by tackling early and often, and not trying to aerial from inside the net (I keep trying and I've been successful all of once).

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I will play it some more, but I have a feeling I'm just going to keep concentrating on the regular game, which I'm enjoying a lot even if I'm not great. I may just be in a weird place where I'm now figuring out a lot about how I need to get better at the regular game, and Hoops just threw too much at me at once as I'm trying to re-learn some stuff. Or maybe I'm just overthinking it all.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Six wrote: »
    I will play it some more, but I have a feeling I'm just going to keep concentrating on the regular game, which I'm enjoying a lot even if I'm not great. I may just be in a weird place where I'm now figuring out a lot about how I need to get better at the regular game, and Hoops just threw too much at me at once as I'm trying to re-learn some stuff. Or maybe I'm just overthinking it all.

Hoops is absolutely a different beast. Do what's best for you :)

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Hoops is a fun diversion, just like Snow Day is, but ultimately (for me at least) that's all it will ever be. The real meat of the game is in the original soccer mode. That's what I'll keep coming back to.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    I agree, but I feel Hoops is much better than Snow Day at least

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Not diggin' Hoops one bit. Once I burned through all my NBA Jam one-liners while playing it got so stale. I liked Snow Day much better.

But classic will always be where it's at.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    I'll be in the group chat for the next hour or two, so let me know if anyone wants to play.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    so uh

you can't score with a Gigantic ball in Hoops

it was pretty hilarious when we came to that realization

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Is it (still) possible to queue up for randoms on the Hockey map? I've been watching lots of the playoffs lately.

• Options
    No, it's limited to custom games right now, though there is a mutator preset

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    so uh

you can't score with a Gigantic ball in Hoops

it was pretty hilarious when we came to that realization

Oh man, I need to try this the next time I play with my friends. Can't wait to hear the reactions! :mrgreen:

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    @Cyrenic Thanks for the fun games! Check out this sweet-ass goal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve7IaPr1poY&feature=youtu.be

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    That laser shot

• Options
    I bring the good:
    ...and the not so good:

I almost broke my controller on that second one.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Cyrenic Thanks for the fun games! Check out this sweet-ass goal!

Oh man there you go trying to make me look good. For the record Dookie carried me through my 10 placement matches in Ranked Doubles. Most of the games were just me sitting at midfield hitting the ball back to the oppenents side while Dookie schooled them 1vs2 getting consistent goals.

I think we went 8-2 or 7-3? Can't remember. I ended up in Prospect 3, which I'm very happy with!

Since you were trying to make me look good I might have to dig up an amazing shot you hit. I think I have the replay. You were 1vs2 and hit a perfect shot on the opposite side of their goal, hooking it right in.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    I very briefly tried Hoops today and got absolutely destroyed. My lack of aerial skills was keenly apparent and I found it more frustrating than fun.

The majority of my goals have been slamming the ball into the side wall near their goal. I also got enough aerial practice in the tutorial to touch the ball during tip off. It is much easier than aerials where the ball is moving on more than one axis.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    The overwatch open beta is over so now I'll have time to start playing this again :)

• Options
    Physical version of the game will be coming to stores in a Collector's Edition format ($30), includes the 3 big DLCs and 4 NEW cars that will be exclusive for a few weeks. PS4, XB1 and PC.
    http://www.rocketleaguegame.com/news/2016/05/watch-rocket-league-collectors-edition-teaser-trailer/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3645DFCBufg

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    dalitubadalituba Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I put my info into the google doc linked in the OP, but if anyone wants to play on PS4 or Xbox hit me up (lower Challenger ranks). ID: dalituba on both. Been playing a couple hours a week since January

I have the game on PC too, just not my preferred platform. Might join the steam group in case that changes. It still active?

dalituba on
  • Options
    I play pretty regularly on PC. At least I did until DOOM came out. I'm sure I'll jump back into it soon though.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I play pretty regularly on PC. At least I did until DOOM came out. I'm sure I'll jump back into it soon though.

Yeah Dookie, since you're all caught up with Doom I'm having to play solo standard ranked. Without you to carry me I'm just Prospect 2.

Need more carry plz thx ;)

• Options
    New quick chat options coming next month!
    http://www.rocketleaguegame.com/news/2016/05/expanding-quick-chat-options/
    Holy cow!

Calculated.
    Calculated.
    Calculated.

Everybody dance!
    Everybody dance!
    Everybody dance!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sumanai wrote: »
    New quick chat options coming next month!
    http://www.rocketleaguegame.com/news/2016/05/expanding-quick-chat-options/
    Holy cow!

Calculated.
    Calculated.
    Calculated.

Everybody dance!
    Everybody dance!
    Everybody dance!

I've been wanting expanded quick chat so bad. Glad they're on top of things.

• Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Played with Cows and some of his friends last night. Even though it has very little to do with my own personal skill, this was a pretty fun moment:

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sumanai wrote: »

I was wondering about something like this after seeing the "Everybody Dance" quick chat.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Someone tell me how to resize this massive graphic.

nFDvpWa.jpg

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Open it in paint.net (a free Photoshop-esque application) and in the menus do Image -> Resize.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    That's awesome. I've never had too much trouble finding a game on XBO, but the player base is definitely way smaller than what you see on PC. This'll make things way better.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    I've given up tonight, but I dream of sharing rocket league gifs.

Get ready for a lot of mid-tier aerials folks.