As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comcis to read to my kids

jclastjclast Registered User regular
edited July 2015 in Graphic Violence
So today's amazon gold box is full of digital comics. I've got 4 kids who will be 5 in a couple of weeks who loved the comics they picked for Free Comic Day a while ago, and I need to teach them how to use a computer mouse before they start kindergarten next month.

1.) Is anyone familiar with kindle cloud reader for comics? Will that be a half-decent intro to the mouse for them?
2.) Is anyone familiar with the titles in the deals and knows what (if anything) would be good for kids who are almost 5? They watch Avengers Assemble and we've been through all of Batman: TAS, Batman: Brave and the Bold, Batman Beyond, Justice Leage (and Unlimited) so they're not strangers to superheroes or light violence.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=pe_837390_143268760_dotd_h_t

Thanks in advance for the help!

camo_sig2.png
jclast on

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    If you're looking for completely non-violent or light violence books for kids under 5, I would say all the Calvin and Hobbes books and Marvel Masterworks of Stan Lee would be good stuff. Everything else is pretty much more for teenagers in terms of violence; nothing gratuitous like Marvel MAX but those Deadpool, Wolverine, even Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America and Rocket Racoon volumes get pretty violent compared to the animated light stuff they've been watching.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    This might be coming too late, but the Batman Adventures books emulate the style of the animated series and are very well done.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    So today's amazon gold box is full of digital comics. I've got 4 kids who will be 5 in a couple of weeks who loved the comics they picked for Free Comic Day a while ago, and I need to teach them how to use a computer mouse before they start kindergarten next month.

1.) Is anyone familiar with kindle cloud reader for comics? Will that be a half-decent intro to the mouse for them?
    2.) Is anyone familiar with the titles in the deals and knows what (if anything) would be good for kids who are almost 5? They watch Avengers Assemble and we've been through all of Batman: TAS, Batman: Brave and the Bold, Batman Beyond, Justice Leage (and Unlimited) so they're not strangers to superheroes or light violence.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=pe_837390_143268760_dotd_h_t

Thanks in advance for the help!

Here are some options:

Bone

Adventure Time

Bandette

The Marvel Oz books

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    This might be coming too late, but the Batman Adventures books emulate the style of the animated series and are very well done.

That looks perfect for them - thanks!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Sticking within DC for now, Tiny Titans / Superman Family Adventures; also the Batman the Brave and the Bold (for kids) series is very much like the show. The Super Friends comic (recent ones for kids), too.

djmitchella on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Marvel also has a bunch of stuff for kids, though not as much as DC (at least, not that's in our libraries around here -- I would bet going to a LCS and asking would get you a lot of info); there's been some Super Hero Squad comics, which are goofy like the show was.

(edit: this past thread about comics for kids has Marvel suggestions in there as well as a bunch of other good stuff)

djmitchella on
  • Options
    and if you want comics that you'll be reading to them, Owly is really good for that.

• Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Millar's Superman Adventures was a great kids book (that adults would really enjoy as well).