Options

Warhammer 40k [Inquisitor: Martyr] Innocentia Nihil Probat

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Sure, that all sounds good, Karl Franz. Too bad you lost to Chaos and your entire planet died, thpoiler alert.

It's ok, because the Ultramarines are here to save us.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-MzNpMD1K8

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    You know, Guilliman was actually a pretty cool guy.

Of course, that might just be because his novel was written by Abnett.

Pity his marines are so boring. I just started Scars, and the White Scars seem to do the same "personal excellence" thing without being sticks in the mud.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    You know, Guilliman was actually a pretty cool guy.

Of course, that might just be because his novel was written by Abnett.

Pity his marines are so boring. I just started Scars, and the White Scars seem to do the same "personal excellence" thing without being sticks in the mud.

Are you saying all Ultramarines are CM Punk?

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    They're all CP Munk.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Games Workshop made a huge mistake by destroying the Old World. If they wanted to make a new miniatures game, then sure, go ahead. No need to flush a popular IP down the toilet though. At this point probably the best thing that could happen would be for Disney to buy them out, as they did with Star Wars.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the point was that it wasn't popular enough to justify the money GW was putting into it. I'd been wondering for a long time how the game was getting as much shelf space as 40K when it was clearly much less popular -- when the Total Warhammer game was announced I saw a lot of "40K or GTFO" sort of comments on Blue's News, despite the fact that FB is a far better fit for Total War. Likewise Warhammer Online. I wouldn't have been surprised to see them shut down WHFB entirely, and it's why I think they should just transform it into a video game IP.

The ending is exactly what I'd expected to happen when they advanced the storyline. If you base your whole mythos so heavily on Michael Moorcock's conception of Chaos and the ending isn't "...and then Chaos ate everything and the world got remade," then you've completely wimped out. It's like those August Derleth Cthulhu stories where yay Elder Gods, good guys win, no one goes insane.

But I'm surprised they didn't force Creative Assembly to set the Total War game in the Age of Sigmar, and that there's apparently an entire trilogy planned in the Old World.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »

But I'm surprised they didn't force Creative Assembly to set the Total War game in the Age of Sigmar, and that there's apparently an entire trilogy planned in the Old World.

Game development was started before Age of Sigmar was a thing.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »

Game development was started before Age of Sigmar was a thing.

Ya, but it wouldn't have been surprising for GW to force them to start over by the time End Times was a thing. And the fact that there will be two more games is really unexpected.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I'd be cool if this game had enemies other than Orks and Chaos Marines. There's a lot that can be done with the Necrons since their lore was rewritten to be less terrible. I wouldn't mind murdering some Tau either.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    It was a bummer to lose the Old World. But still, it was a huge deal to take a static IP that had basically remained unchanged for decades and say 'alright, we're finally moving the story forwards in a major, setting-altering way.'

The way Warhammer is set up, everything is always on the verge of going to shit and being eaten by Chaos, so the only way forwards in any meaningful sense is to actually have that happen. I think one of the cool things about Age of Sigmar is that now Chaos is kind've on equal footing with the forces of 'Order' - now when the forces of Chaos lose it isn't just a nuisance for the Dark Gods, it means that they've come one step closer to actually being defeated.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    It was a bummer to lose the Old World. But still, it was a huge deal to take a static IP that had basically remained unchanged for decades and say 'alright, we're finally moving the story forwards in a major, setting-altering way.'
    Alright, now let the Golden Throne fail and the Emperor die.

• Options

It would just be Age of Sigmar with bolters.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »

There's no reason they couldn't keep the franchise healthy post-throne failure.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    edit: womp womp, actually have to go out of town this weekend. nevermind!

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    As a Necron player, I don't mind if I were to murder my own kind in this game as an Inquisitor. Also, Grey Knight better be a class.

• Options

It would be a great excuse to invent some new factions and up the insanity. The Imperium of Man fracturing into a thousand warring factions after the Emperor dies would be an awesome backdrop for new literature and games.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I think everyone wants the Throne to fail becausr there's like, a 100% chance that it's imprisoning him and releasing the Emperor in to what is basically his worst case scenario for the Empire would be fascinating.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Why would the empire fracture? When the golden throne fails, the Emperor will finally be freed of the shackles of the feckless and unworthy imbeciles who have kept him clinging to life for ten thousand years, allowing his rebirth to bring about a glorious new age for the galaxy.

• Options
    Why are you assuming he'd emerge whole? And even if he did somehow come back as his old self, there's still a shitload of entrenched interests throughout the empire that benefit from the status quo. There would almost assuredly be infighting on a very large scale.

• Options

It would be a great excuse to invent some new factions and up the insanity. The Imperium of Man fracturing into a thousand warring factions after the Emperor dies would be an awesome backdrop for new literature and games.

And then the Tyranids eat them all. The end.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Oh for SURE. If we were being realistic it would result in the destruction of the Empire. The status quo is so entrentched that stagnation is how the Empire has survived. If the Emperor just came back it would break a reality they have settled into for thousands of years.

• Options
    Why are you assuming he'd emerge whole? And even if he did somehow come back as his old self, there's still a shitload of entrenched interests throughout the empire that benefit from the status quo. There would almost assuredly be infighting on a very large scale.

because that's what he is. He is the amalgamation of the souls of shamans who would die and be reborn over and over and over again.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Your mileage may vary, but...

Age of Strife
    Age of Dusk

Warning: tons and tons and tons of stuff. Not the greatest writing in the world, especially early on, but still lots of compelling ideas. He even depicts some of the things people just suggested.

Age of Sigmar already has bolters.

99120218002_StormcastEternalsJudicators012.jpg

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

because that's what he is. He is the amalgamation of the souls of shamans who would die and be reborn over and over and over again.

And with that I am now compelled to post this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcYrTCGKyrU&index=2&list=PLyiDf91_bTEgnBN0jAvzNbqzrlMGID5WA

Which eventually covers that.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

Your mileage may vary, but...

Age of Strife
    Age of Dusk

Warning: tons and tons and tons of stuff. Not the greatest writing in the world, especially early on, but still lots of compelling ideas. He even depicts some of the things people just suggested.

Age of Sigmar already has bolters.

99120218002_StormcastEternalsJudicators012.jpg

Clearly, those are cross-bolters. Completely different.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

And then the Tyranids eat them all. The end.
    Nids can't eat Necrons. At least they couldn't last time I checked.

But that shit is boring. A far better story is the Emperor being shattered into several different beings and then each of those shards taking a chunk of the Imperium or being lost to chaos or xenos. Plus, you could have different space marine chapters joining up with different versions of the emperor.

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    Why would the empire fracture? When the golden throne fails, the Emperor will finally be freed of the shackles of the feckless and unworthy imbeciles who have kept him clinging to life for ten thousand years, allowing his rebirth to bring about a glorious new age for the galaxy.

No Emperor, no Astronomicon, so yeah it's basically lights out (pun intended) once that happens.

He would likely become some kind of warp entity of variable power and then they'd push the end times button and Maugan Ra / Alpharius / other lost Primarchs / Void Dragon / Nid Prime Fleet arrives etc etc all turn up and have an end times show down. Emperor would battle Chaos in the warp along with the Laughing God, likely lose, only for Chaos to be squared off against the Necrons with everyone else avoid a Genestealer claw...

Best case scenario, whole Galaxy is torched with the survivors sent back to the Stone Age, but Chaos is largely neutered, Necrons are destroyed and Nid Fleet gets bored with virtually no life left to eat and so departs for greener pastures.

• Options
    I just want to see a 2 hour high quality CGI film of Star child, Ynnead and the Laughing God all beating the shit out of Khorne.

• Options
    EtemEtem Registered User regular
    So this is now playable at Gamescom, but where are the photos, videos and impressions of this game? If I were there, this would be one of the first games I would check.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I just want to see a 2 hour high quality CGI film of Star child, Ynnead and the Laughing God all beating the shit out of Khorne.

Cegorach is a cool guy. He guards the black library and doesn't afraid of anything.

How did the Eldar gods come about?

I was actually thinking of making basically an evil harlequin as a villain in a Dark Heresy campaign. S/he would first start out as a human assassin from the Callidus order who can change their body at will to become a harlequin to try to infiltrate the Black Library. Along the way, s/he became cursed to keep their harlequin form and be rejected by the Officio Assassinorum and the Imperium as a whole. Then the ruinous powers would offer s/he a deal or s/he would seek them out to be able to change her/his form, but in exchange he got powers of chaos undivided or a specific god like Tzeencht or Slaanesh and also have their mind unexpectedly corrupted. Then s/he, with their new corruption, would go on to terrorize an Imperial sector in the cause of becoming a daemon prince. Perhaps by subtly setting in motion Subsector Askellon's expedited destruction by the Pandaemonium star as an offer to the Ruinous Powers. He would basically become the Dark Knight's Joker on a much larger scale and be able to change form still whole preferring a new corrupted harlequin form.
    I'd call them "Black Harlequin"

Needs more polish and fleshing out, but I would have a lot of fun roleplaying that character as a GM.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

Slaanesh was birthed by the Eldar having a planet wide cuddle puddle. So we're going to go with the other gods were birthed from excess to the point that it becomes a planet wide trend.

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    You might be right, but if they were formed that way, it was during the time when the warp was first being disturbed by the birth of chaos gods. Eldar were advanced by the Old ones in their war (or right before it) against the Necrons.

• Options
    Eldar went all crazy for pleasure via sex and murder and had a crazy orgy and Slaanesh is what they ejaculated out.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Slaanesh is what gives Cenobites hardons.

• Options

If Ynnead is any indication, Eldar Gods are born when enough souls merge together into one being (kinda like the Emperor, actually) - the early Eldar Gods were probably born the same way, born of souls drawn together by common purpose and emerging from the Warp before it became all turbulent and chaotic.

Campaign sounds neat - fwiw, WH40k lore does have instances of human beings walking the path of the Harlequin, even dressing as Eldar Harlequin do, if that helps your story at all.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options

If Ynnead is any indication, Eldar Gods are born when enough souls merge together into one being (kinda like the Emperor, actually) - the early Eldar Gods were probably born the same way, born of souls drawn together by common purpose and emerging from the Warp before it became all turbulent and chaotic.

Campaign sounds neat - fwiw, WH40k lore does have instances of human beings walking the path of the Harlequin, even dressing as Eldar Harlequin do, if that helps your story at all.

Really? Are these human harlequin allowed in craftworld?

I would ask if they're let in Commoragh... But no one wants to be let in Commoragh.

The biggest squick thing I've read about Commoragh is that it's probably the only place human-Eldar hybrids are. Make of that as you will.

• Options
    What do you expect from Dark Elves. they are like, a nanometer away from being full on daemons of slaanesh

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    What do you expect from Dark Elves. they are like, a nanometer away from being full on daemons of slaanesh

The Dark Eldar took the Shaun of the Dead approach to hiding from Slaanesh. If a demon prince ever happened upon Commorragh he'd think it was already conquered, shrug his shoulders and move on.

• Options

Really? Are these human harlequin allowed in craftworld?

I would ask if they're let in Commoragh... But no one wants to be let in Commoragh.

The biggest squick thing I've read about Commoragh is that it's probably the only place human-Eldar hybrids are. Make of that as you will.

The human Harlequin in question were always part of an Eldar Harlequin's retinue, and ultimately hoping to use the Harlequin method as a means to defend humans against Chaos. There was the sense that the Eldar saw them as kind've sad fan-boys that make useful pawns for dealing with other humans. It's possible they were brought with the Eldar to craftworlds if the Eldar needed to go there. They were certainly brought to the Black Library, even some Imperial Inquisitors are allowed to go there. Whether they could do all this freely, without Eldar supervision, I don't know.

Commoragh would actually probably be more open than craftworlds - there are populations of non-Eldar living there, not just as slaves but also in ghettos and low-towns as pirates, mercs, renegades, and the like. Pirates and xenos make port there for trade - there's always the possibility that the Dark Eldar will turn on them at any moment for giggles of course. Eldar Harlequin go there freely, so there's that angle. You'd have to be pretty desperate to hide in Commoragh, but it wouldn't be impossible for humans to shelter there, cut a deal with a Kabal, etc.

Shame that Dark Millennium MMO never came to pass, Commoragh would've made a bangin' zone to explore.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    EtemEtem Registered User regular