As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - PATV - First 15 – Toro

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - PATV - First 15 – Toro

Gabe and Tycho play a game for 15 minutes and then judge it accordingly. This week they play Toro. You can watch the full length version of this episode here.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Lingering GrinLingering Grin Registered User regular
    You didn't know that bull fighting ends with the bull's death?

Kinda surprised at that.

It is a blood sport after all.

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    So they're playing Animal Cruelty Simulator 2004?

I love the show, strip, PAX, etc., but even after the rape and transgender issues they're moving on to this now?

They're clearly not okay with the idea of killing or hurting the bull, but do you really think their critics will see it that way? Look at the thumbnail used for the video. That isn't the face of a man unhappy and repulsed about playing a game about bull fighting. Maybe I'm the one overreacting, but I hate seeing them get dragged through the mud by overly sensitive and overly vocal critics. Hell, maybe nothing will happen at all.

As an attorney that wants to see PA thrive, I just want someone save these guys from themselves or the people who thought this was a good idea.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    You're the only person I've seen with that take on it. Don't worry about it, I'm not anticipating a lot of trouble.

• Options
    GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    In case it was not clear from the video, this was not a real bull.

• Options
    Gabriel wrote: »
    In case it was not clear from the video, this was not a real bull.

Because whether or not something is real doesn't matter to your critics. They took serious issue with your personal opinions on hypothetical people and their gender. Then you had to do damage control on that. Let's not forget the great press from the fictional dickwolves, too.

• Options
    GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    Touche

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It is sort of weird what pushes people's buttons... Lest we forget, compared to one bull-murdering game (plus I guess Cabela, the wildlife- murdering game), most of the highest popularity games today are human-murdering games. Heck, didn't PETA complain about the whaling portion of the Assassin's Creed game, as if murdering digital whales is somehow worse than murdering digital people?

• Options
    LauraxLaurax Registered User new member
    edited July 2015
    I hate being that person, but I felt sick watching this. At least the developers had the sense not to show the gore. The fact that people play a bull tormenting and murdering simulator for fun really disturbs me. It's bad enough this happens in real life without a game being made of it.

Laurax on
  • Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    Laurax wrote: »
    I hate being that person, but I felt sick watching this. At last the developers had the sense not to show the gore. The fact that people play a bull tormenting and murdering simulator for fun really disturbs me. It's bad enough this happens in real life without a game being made of it.

While I completely understand your distaste for actual animal cruelty. I am genuinely curious, do you feel the same when you see or play a game that has you murder literally hundreds of virtual humans? It is OK to be bothered by a representation of violence in either case. But artists have a right to create art based on terrible things, even if this game isn't really pointing out that its subject matter is rather tasteless.(But that also probably has to do with cultural dissonance.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    You're right, Kal. People are going to get offended over things that the vast majority of other people find harmless. I forgot about the Cabela game - that didn't shoot off the page at me like the bull fighting did, but in many ways it's no different so I'm not sure why. I think it's the notoriety of bull fighting combined with the somewhat prolonged death of the animal. Hunting sims? Shoot the animal one or twice and it dies immediately. Toying (for lack of a better word) with the bull before sticking it with spears and a sword doesn't sit as well with most people.

It's a losing battle for people in the public eye like Mike and Jerry because you'll probably offend someone even when you're being honest about your feelings or understanding of a topic. Those people who light torches and take their righteous indignation to the internet are looking for a fight most of the time.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Please stop pointing out to people that they might have forgotten to be offended by something :sad:

• Options
    LauraxLaurax Registered User new member
    It has nothing to do with culture. If a game were made with the realistic depiction of a human being murdered as sport I'd be just as disturbed. I play games where I kill things too, don't get me wrong, but I don't feel like it's presented the same way as this. I don't want to get into a huge debate here over video game violence; I was only saying my reaction to watching that so they'd be aware. If I'm the only one, so be it. I doubt I am though, and I think some people could easily have a field day with it, like the lawyer was saying. It takes a lot more than this to truly upset me, but I didn't like watching it and by the end wished I hadn't. I'll leave it at that.

• Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    It has nothing to do with culture. If a game were made with the realistic depiction of a human being murdered as sport I'd be just as disturbed. I play games where I kill things too, don't get me wrong, but I don't feel like it's presented the same way as this. I don't want to get into a huge debate here over video game violence; I was only saying my reaction to watching that so they'd be aware. If I'm the only one, so be it. I doubt I am though, and I think some people could easily have a field day with it, like the lawyer was saying. It takes a lot more than this to truly upset me, but I didn't like watching it and by the end wished I hadn't. I'll leave it at that.

So no Manhunt for you then, got it. But what I meant by culture, is there are places in the world where they actually have bull fighting and consider it an OK thing to do.(one I assume the developer is from) Every culture has things that other cultures don't approve of is all I'm saying. Thanks for answering, I was not trying to call you out or anything.

I guess the mostly fictional spin they place on most violent games makes them more acceptable than this.(on top of it not being a very good game from all appearances)

• Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    It has nothing to do with culture. If a game were made with the realistic depiction of a human being murdered as sport I'd be just as disturbed.

Like every time a video game references the colosseum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDiDXZMuxEM

To say nothing of Mortal Kombat and its imitators.

Bullfighting, like the colosseum, is a real thing from real culture that people recognize. Just because someone puts the colosseum in a game does not make that an endorsement of what happened at the colosseum, and likewise with bullfighting.

Not offended.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say in response to this one was I was surprised by this exchange:

Mike: I'm feeling bullish about it.

Jerry: Oh go to hell.

Wait a minute! Is there some kinda freaky friday shit going on here? Who is Mike and who is Jerry here?

WordLust on
  • Options
    KayneKayne Registered User regular
    Man, it's really great that games are truly unlocking the full potential of consoles these days. This is just a jar of mustard away from being a salad. :D