As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What kind of bug is this?

Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my worldRound Rock, TXRegistered User regular
Linked for huge large

Saw these clustered on the outside of one of our rear windows and this was about the best picture I could get with my phone. They're pretty small, maybe a centimeter long or less. They have 6 legs and 2 long antennas. They don't really look like ants or spiders to me, but I don't know.

Should I kill them with fire and/or bug spray? Just leave them be? Are they going to mature overnight and then come for my family?

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    6 legs means they aren't spiders

Maybe @BugBoy can help?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Googling "native bugs of round rock, texas" eventually leads to this: http://texashighplainsinsects.net/insect-of-the-week/2014/1/13/skinny-insects-in-the-house-winter-2014-january-13

They are likely assassin/wheel bugs of some kind?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Googling "native bugs of round rock, texas" eventually leads to this: http://texashighplainsinsects.net/insect-of-the-week/2014/1/13/skinny-insects-in-the-house-winter-2014-january-13

That's gotta be what they are....

Wait, assassin bugs? Welp house, it's been a fun 2 years but I'm out.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

They assassinate other bugs. You're fine.

Unless you're some kind of space insect. Which you're not, of course.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

They assassinate other bugs. You're fine.

Unless you're some kind of space insect. Which you're not, of course.

Nice save. The Swarm will never suspect that you know the truth now.

• Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Just a bit of my own experience, there are some larger versions of this bug, and they can give a painful sting. I tried to wash one down the drain of the shower one time and it got stuck between my toes and stung me.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Those do indeed look like immature assassin bugs. Like forbe said, they can bite if handled, so don't try to pick them up or anything. On the plus side, they aren't likely to enter your house, so there's that.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Typically assassins operate independently. The fact that you have an organized mob suggests that there's a hit on you that they're trying to collect. You may want to hire some bodyguard bugs before it's too late.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    They did seem to be working together to try and figure out how to get through that window. Or maybe they were just having a quick strategy meeting before splitting up and attacking from all sides.

Any idea why they were all clustered together like that? They stayed close for a while, after I went to bed. They didn't seem to be in any hurry. I didn't check before I left the house this morning, so I don't know if they're still there. I thought it was kind of odd.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    They tend to group together during the day then go out to assassinate bugs at night.

There's a species that bites humans though. Leads to Chagas disease. You probably don't have ones that would spread it, but, don't let them bite you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @Arch should see these, perhaps he has some more insight as well!

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    they are either immature assassin bugs (harmless to you) or immature milkweed bugs (or a related genera). (also harmless)

hard to tell from picture but they are definitely some sort of true bug immature stage, and it could go a lot of different ways.

• Options
    p.s. open forum invitation to just PM me bug ID questions.

• Options
    I should have put this all in one post, nut mobile posting is hard.

Those bugs are 100% not either of the species that commonly vector chagas disease

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Arch wrote: »
    p.s. open forum invitation to just PM me bug ID questions.

NOTED

Bugs are awesome.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options

Those bugs are 100% not either of the species that commonly vector chagas disease

Maybe it would be easier if you used your phone with your finger? :P

That's great to know about the disease because that was my fear. They looked exactly like pictures I've seen of other assassin bug nymphs. They're gone from the window so they're probably happily assassinating bugs in my backyard. As long as they don't get in the house, they're welcome to it.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015

related help and/or advice: you should use your fingers to enter in mobile posts. doing it with your nut is hard :pop:

edit: more related help and/or advice - @fightinfilipino you should really learn to read the last post in a thread before posting.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562