Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Conhost.exe takes up way too many cycles, slows down pc

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
I get home today and noticed old big blue was running slow at startup.

I fired up resource monitor and found a program called conhost.exe

Now, for a while Avast was the beast, but that went away and now conhost is the beast.

I've found google pages calling it a virus, but a full virus scan with the computer unplugged did reveal 19 threats but not that (really need to scan more often). Furthermore, the results from google mentioned it running in blah/blah/blah/temp while this one is running in C:\Windows\System32. Not to mention that I'm only seeing one instance while the google results mentioned multiple.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about, Avast is running large because I'm scanning that specific folder right now.
elqx1bufefrz.jpg

edit: Day 2

After many hours of virus scanning, it worked fine for a bit. But I turn on big blue later and now Conhost.exe is doing the same thing
  • Running really high on my CPU
  • Running from system 32
  • not popping up as a virus

and now it appears it just terminated so this might be a problem that has started happening as the desktop powers up and then goes away as things "settle."

RoyceSraphim on

• TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Did you install or remove any programs recently? The Console Window Host (conhost) is probably the host for some invisible script that's running in the background trying to find files that don't exist anymore.
    It might also be related to the makecab.exe which apparently reduces the sizes of some log files or something.

steam_sig.png
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Running from system 32 is a good sign - that is where that program is supposed to be. I agree that it is probably coordinating some other process. My advice would be to leave your computer on for a bit doing nothing - not actively virus scanning or anything. See if the process finishes.

Also, are you doing these virus scans in safe mode? You should try that if you are worried about viruses.

steam_sig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I figured it might be the tablet software I installed and some poking around revealed I had installed both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Removing the former suddenly sped things up.