As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's Time for Rifftrax

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    If you watch no other Rifftrax, watch The Room and the Twilight movies.

God the Twilight Rifftrax are so good.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    @Didgeridoo and I were going through the list a few days ago and I think my favorite was probably Ghost House, and hers was The Magic Sword.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    If you watch no other Rifftrax, watch The Room and the Twilight movies.

God the Twilight Rifftrax are so good.

I was never going to watch those movies but Rifftrax made them not just watchable but a hell of a good time. Those movies would have fit right in on MST3K proper, and Mike, Kevin and Bill tore them to shreds.

A steak! wrote: »
    @Didgeridoo and I were going through the list a few days ago and I think my favorite was probably Ghost House, and hers was The Magic Sword.

The Magic Sword: A movie so nice they riffed it twice.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I always thought it was kinda odd when Rifftrax did a movie that was already covered on MST3K. Almost like, "Hey, we can do this better than when you did it."

BLM - ACAB
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    I always thought it was kinda odd when Rifftrax did a movie that was already covered on MST3K. Almost like, "Hey, we can do this better than when you did it."

It weirds me out whenever they riff anything more than once, even stuff they did previously

I know there's always material to mine from stuff like that, I've certainly watched my favorite bad movies more than once, but it's still weird

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited December 2015
    The Geek wrote: »
    I always thought it was kinda odd when Rifftrax did a movie that was already covered on MST3K. Almost like, "Hey, we can do this better than when you we did it."

I think they've talked about how they only do it if they can think of a bunch of good new material. They make a point not to rehash jokes from the last time.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Y'all can pry the re-riffed Magic Sword from my cold, dead fingers

Didgeridoo wrote: »

But it's really good. Why do you gotta hog it all the time?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Good thing this isn't 4chan

Some people would take that as giving permission

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    They're actually making a decent run at 12 episodes with 13 hours to go. Hopefully they make it.

They're closing in on the full 12 episodes! A new target was added for a 13th episode (holiday special) at $5.9 million. I'm gonna go ahead and say they definitely get all 12 episodes.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I kinda wish I had 85 bucks to pledge for the digital reward tier.

As it is I might finally throw ten bucks at this.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'm going to watch the encore of Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny live riff Tuesday, anyone here go to the initial screening?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Is there a place to see the total of add-on donations?

They're at 5.05 mil right now on the kickstarter.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Yeah, it was pretty great actually! We weren't quite sure about this one, since they had riffed it before on their website, but we had friends who hadn't seen the original so we went with them.

They almost entirely avoided the old jokes, and they were laying down some real heavy hitters in the joke department. I was laughing the whole way through. Plenty of shorts at the beginning too, which I love.

rhylith wrote: »

Afaik you have to wait for them to update the Kickstarter page with those totals. They're not being made available anywhere else.

They're up to almost $500K on the Kickstarter preview image though

edited December 2015
    They're past the $5,000,000 mark on KS proper and had over $250,000 in add-ons on Tuesday (guessing it's gone up a fair bit since then) so they've gotta be close to the 5.5 mil.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015

Latest update from Joel says they have 400k in addons, so they've pretty much hit 5.5M, barring some sort of The Muppets telethon situation

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yeah, it was pretty great actually! We weren't quite sure about this one, since they had riffed it before on their website, but we had friends who hadn't seen the original so we went with them.

They almost entirely avoided the old jokes, and they were laying down some real heavy hitters in the joke department. I was laughing the whole way through. Plenty of shorts at the beginning too, which I love.

Yeah, it has a completely different middle segment, which is a good portion of the running time. There was one repeat joke, which I think everyone was happy to see again.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Lord Dave wrote: »

Latest update from Joel says they have 400k in addons, so they've pretty much hit 5.5M, barring some sort of The Muppets telethon situation

*cancels 4 million dollar donation.*

(god I wish)

WE DID IT, THE STATION'S OURS!

• 411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    After much deliberation, I just upped to $150. I really want the posters and USB drive, apparently.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, I preferred the Mike Nelson MST3K years so while I will give the new stuff a chance I'm not as excited as most others.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    I did too, but I also thought Joel was great. Also, Jonah will be hosting, not Joel. So I'm excited to have debates about which one of the Stooges hosts is the best.

Mitchell is streaming on the telethon right now. Classic.

This telethon is run on duct-tape and chewing gum and good will from celebrities

But they've passed the full season mark and they're barreling toward the holiday special episode

I'm so glad MST3K is back you guys

signature-deffo.jpg
    The bad quality is at least understandable because livestreaming is really tough. They should have had a dry run before broadcasting though. A lot of the problems they're having could have been solved by testing mics before the event. As somebody who wears "sound tech" as one of his hats, I'm simultaneously very understanding of this and facepalming a bit.

Maybe they'll riff this livestream for their first episode.

The bad quality is at least understandable because livestreaming is really tough. They should have had a dry run before broadcasting though. A lot of the problems they're having could have been solved by testing mics before the event. As somebody who wears "sound tech" as one of his hats, I'm simultaneously very understanding of this and facepalming a bit.

Maybe they'll riff this livestream for their first episode.

Yeah and I imagine they didn't have a ton of time to set this up since it's just in someone's comics shop and it's probably not been set up for this ever and god knows who is even working on it

signature-deffo.jpg
    The fact that they're using the livestream for inside-baseball Magic Castle stories totally justifies the money I pledged

mkc.png
    Well guys

We did it

13 whole episodes

The backers did, in fact, win the super bowl

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    They're around 300k away from passing VM for most money raised on KS (as in, without counting the add-on)

Goose! on
    Oh shit it's Penn Jilette, ARCH-ENEMY of MiSTies everywhere

mkc.png
    Goose! wrote: »
    They're around 300k away from passing VM for most money raised on KS (as in, without counting the add-on)

Two and a half hours left, I think they could do it

signature-deffo.jpg
    The weird moments where the sound breaks and a different mic comes in at ten times volume and someone says two words

are great

I've rarely laughed harder

signature-deffo.jpg
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Backed!

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    That bit of Game Grumps MST3K hybrid was great. I want more of that

Goose! wrote: »
    That bit of Game Grumps MST3K hybrid was great. I want more of that

I'm not the hugest Game Grumps fan but that was great and I definitely like that Danny fellow more than Jontron

signature-deffo.jpg
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I decided to finally go for it at the hundy level

BLM - ACAB
    What in the hell am I watching right now

There was a girl I couldn't hear telling an allegedly cute story and now a fake German guy is ringing bells over an accordion