Options

Why did x megathread get locked?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Hermano wrote: »
    Really don't agree that closing the superhero thread would turn gv into a flourishing sub forum, I think a general topic chat thread suits smaller niche stuff like comic books better
    Yeah, I mean, the current thread sort of drifts from series to series as new stuff is released or announced, and I really like the flow of that. I've learned about a lot of books I would never have known about if they were all separate topics.
    Not to say that it doesn't have issues though
    Well it would have to--not everyone's content to wait for the trades.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    :(

I'm totally making a thread for the new interface of the Xbox One when it gets released to preview program people.

Would that be ok?

Yeah that sounds great. It's a solid topic for people to talk about. It's the same with the example of The Witcher thread. It serves a great purpose and isn't going to bogart any discussion from elsewhere. Those are examples of the system working well. G&T isn't hurting for traffic, and SE provides a different atmosphere.
    Really don't agree that closing the superhero thread would turn gv into a flourishing sub forum, I think a general topic chat thread suits smaller niche stuff like comic books better

Comics haven't been niche for a really long time dude.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    The superhero one doesn't make any sense

Even before it was a thing no one posted in GV

And we have in depth discussion in that thread on a regular basis, the state of DC and diversity in comics come up almost every page

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Not to be that guy, but exactly how are superheroes "niche" in this day and age?

I mean, hell. Because of how F4 turned out, for the last week the thread's been gushing over DBZ on the flimsiest premise that Goku is a comic-style superhero. Which, admittedly, he is as a Manga character ... but still.

This thread did answer my questions about why the snugglehug thread wasn't targeted, though. While a megathread for cuteness, it beats having a ton of sub-threads for cuteness. I think. Maybe?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    There is sometimes a marked difference in discussion between subforums on even just the same topic, though

As it was noted in another thread, there's Witcher threads in G&T and here

The one here is mostly about the narrative and the characters, and the G&T Witcher thread is mostly about the gameplay mechanics

It's not always of course, but sometimes it is real different strokes what people want to talk about depending on where they're at

YOU can change this. Get on PMs, pm the 4 or 5 people you like talking to about the Witcher and all head on over to the Witcher thread in G&T and start talking about it the way you want! Nobody over there is going to tell you to get out because you're talking about the story.

I've been having a hard time understanding the fallout from this, especially when people say they don't want to go to G&T because they like talking to a handful of people in SE

Just all go over together! Make the change as a group!

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Despite the Superhero Thread basically shooting GV in the face, it does bring out one kind of important observation.

The thread tends to move from topic to topic, and unlike most megathreads, dosen't really involve too many subjects going on at once, to a point where you have like, 6 different conversations going on.

That tells me, at least, that one thread can indeed handle general comics discussion without being a clusterfuck. The only problem with the Superhero thread though, is that any splinter discussions can't really branch out at all in SE.

So honestly, I think the Superhero thread should just probably be transplanted right into Graphic Violence as is. You force people to click another button(OH NO, DIFFERENT FORUM THE HOOORROORRR) for just general discussion, while also giving the different specific threads a shot in the arm in case people want to talk about a specific thing, and see where it goes from there.

• Options

Please post your analytics.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    This thread did answer my questions about why the snugglehug thread wasn't targeted, though. While a megathread for cuteness, it beats having a ton of sub-threads for cuteness. I think. Maybe?

Yeah. A recurring thread isn't necessarily a megathread. "Cute things" is a pretty solid, single topic. Even if there's a clique there, we'd serve no real purpose by getting rid of it.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    :(

I'm totally making a thread for the new interface of the Xbox One when it gets released to preview program people.

Would that be ok?

Yeah that sounds great. It's a solid topic for people to talk about. It's the same with the example of The Witcher thread. It serves a great purpose and isn't going to bogart any discussion from elsewhere. Those are examples of the system working well. G&T isn't hurting for traffic, and SE provides a different atmosphere.

Comics haven't been niche for a really long time dude.

I mean actual comics, not necessarily all the other media around them. Maybe niche is too strong a term though?

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    One of the more useful things about the D&D [chat] thread is the humanizing factor it has when talking to people who you're otherwise often engaging in heated debates with.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Now I'm tempted to create a separate thread for the each of the deltoid heads.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

Please post your analytics.
    That's where I used to go for comics news

There was like ten posts a days across the entire subforum, tops

I remember people getting weirder out if someone responded immediately instead of a hour later

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    One of the more useful things about the D&D [chat] thread is the humanizing factor it has when talking to people who you're otherwise often engaging in heated debates with.

I love the D&D chat thread, but there are many times I wish I could see their thoughts on posts in SE++, or vice versa. I'd love to see Melding or Metalbourne or Lilya or Tynic talking in some of the D&D threads.. and hopefully not as some nuclear explosion or something.

Similarly every time in the chat thread I see someone posting about job woes or about a new interview, I want to batsignal JoeUser over to it to give out a lemur or a red panda.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

I love the D&D chat thread, but there are many times I wish I could see their thoughts on posts in SE++, or vice versa. I'd love to see Melding or Metalbourne or Lilya or Tynic talking in some of the D&D threads.. and hopefully not as some nuclear explosion or something.

Similarly every time in the chat thread I see someone posting about job woes or about a new interview, I want to batsignal JoeUser over to it to give out a lemur or a red panda.

those are best in life

sig.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Chat threads move far too fast for solid discussion, except by the people who live only in those threads.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Madican wrote: »
    Chat threads move far too fast for solid discussion, except by the people who live only in those threads.

So does SE++ often, it seems. :)

I've learned to let go. I don't need to know every ounce of discussion that came before in a thread to chime in, except in some D&D threads that play out like a months-long debate club where everyone assumes everyone has followed the whole thread. And even then, people are understanding and "gently" remind others that a topic's been covered before or an argument has previously been made.

But yeah.. I assume that if I go back 2 pages in any thread, I should be able to jump in, no problem. The depth stuff Tube talks about this actually supports that - more content in those 2 pages, takes longer to read but gives a more complete picture. A shallower thread of quick IRC-like replies is easy to skim but feels.. harder to inject into? If that makes sense.

Edit: Goddamn am I trying to avoid work today.

Athenor on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I won't defend the D&D chat thread but I guess I could come in here more.

Y'all were mean to me once but I hear you are nicer now and I am stronger too; I've been listening to a lot of christina aguilera.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    DK why did you agree to appear in Pixels

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

This is actually one question I really, REALLY want to ask Reggie. I mean.. really man? REALLY?

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

also why are you so sad, also why aren't you a real doctor

sig.gif
  • Options
    I won't defend the D&D chat thread but I guess I could come in here more.

Y'all were mean to me once but I hear you are nicer now and I am stronger now; I've been listening to a lot of christina aguilera.

Bigger and faster too?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Josh Gad told me it was Frozen 2 and I was going to get to meet idina menzel. I didn't read the contract I'd signed until it was too late.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    If the general SE++ superhero thread moved to GV and the regular posters in it made an effort to still remain energetic in their posting I think it'd be really great.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Josh Gad told me it was Frozen 2 and I was going to get to meet idina menzel. I didn't read the contract I'd signed until it was too late.

That filthy liar

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

I talk in the UK politics thread sometimes in D&D when I want to ask questions, they are very nice and answer them for me!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    One thing I'll say

i like megathreads cause when i'm out and about and check up on things on my phone there's a lot less loading cause i only have to check a couple things

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Tox wrote: »
    I feel like, for instance, a GV "chat" thread, where as long as you're generally discussing GV-related content, but you don't have to necessarily stay specifically on-topic, could be a good compromise?

I dunno. I'm not specifically opposed to going to GV for my comics-related conversations. I just enjoy the flow of the thread in SE way more.

And if I knew that, for instance, a dozen-odd SE posters were all just going to start talking there now, I'd be pretty fine with that, as it would be a matter of integrating two groups.

Personally, I'm really wary of those. I don't think there's anything that encourages cliques on these forums more than a chat thread does.

I don't think the solution to getting people to post in Graphic Violence again is shutting down the superhero thread, for the record. That's been tried before, and it didn't have a noticeable impact. We did see a big spike in participation around the time we did those GV10 awards, so...probably more of that

• Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    I should use the bookmarking system more to customize a front-page of threads I check.
    The problem with the bookmarking system I have found is it (for me at least) encourages reading megathreads -- because I immediately click the bookmarks button as soon as I log in and just read what I've bookmarked, I'm much more likely to miss the little threads that come and go over the course of the days between when I remember to check on what's going on in a forum proper. And then when I remember to check in, the most active threads are all I'm likely to see and bookmark. So the cycle continues.

I've found that threads in SE++ specifically also sometimes have titles that don't make it obvious as to their contents (this has been less of a problem recently though I guess looking at the last several pages).

I mean, I'm probably the type of person that's viewed by the mod team as an example of the treehousing problem in all this since I bet about half my posts are in the GB threads or related ones (and in the olden days I hung out in the D&D politics threads), but that really isn't a complete picture as my bookmarks are actually fairly well distributed across the forums and I keep up with all of those threads. I just don't tend to post much.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    Bookmarks encourage people to only read a particular digest rather than discovering new stuff. There's no way around that unfortunately, outside of killing that really great feature. It just goes with the territory.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I was always a fan of the idea that superhero threads on SE++ should be more of "Marvel movie threads which slip into comics talk" than the other way around

It was that way for a long while but I guess that slipped about a year or two ago

• Options
    I don't like bookmarks because then I'll miss out on cool new threads that are relevant to my interests.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I feel like, for instance, a GV "chat" thread, where as long as you're generally discussing GV-related content, but you don't have to necessarily stay specifically on-topic, could be a good compromise?

I dunno. I'm not specifically opposed to going to GV for my comics-related conversations. I just enjoy the flow of the thread in SE way more.

And if I knew that, for instance, a dozen-odd SE posters were all just going to start talking there now, I'd be pretty fine with that, as it would be a matter of integrating two groups.

Personally, I'm really wary of those. I don't think there's anything that encourages cliques on these forums more than a chat thread does.

I don't think the solution to getting people to post in Graphic Violence again is shutting down the superhero thread, for the record. That's been tried before, and it didn't have a noticeable impact. We did see a big spike in participation around the time we did those GV10 awards, so...probably more of that

Perhaps as a possible "step" in the process?

Like, move it to GV but keep it more or less in-tact.

Then gradually break it down, or get folks in the mindset of "hey this tangent potentially warrants its own discussion, and in GV you can just make a new thread. So let's do that."

Then maybe over time the thread goes away completely?

Especially if you continue to have award-type threads that functionally fill the "chat thread" feel that a lot of people like.

I'm really just spit-balling, since it sounds like you guys are still in the discovery portion of the matter, so it's kind of a good time to toss in the two-cents.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I don't use bookmarks just because. Don't really know why. Same with the reaction buttons for the most part.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Bookmarks encourage people to only read a particular digest rather than discovering new stuff. There's no way around that unfortunately, outside of killing that really great feature. It just goes with the territory.

Would it be possible to get a section that showcases new threads? Lot's of times I only check my bookmarks cause the chances of finding a new topic to discuss seem pretty low. Most of the time its the same topics that ruoe page 1.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I like bookmarks because otherwise I'd never notice when smaller threads I like have new posts after they've fallen off the first couple pages

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I use bookmarks first, and then go onto the community pages and see what's new

• Options

Would it be possible to get a section that showcases new threads? Lot's of times I only check my bookmarks cause the chances of finding a new topic to discuss seem pretty low. Most of the time its the same topics that ruoe page 1.

We can actually set the whole forum to show recent discussions rather than the category view we have now. I don't think it can be done on a per user basis though. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

I've rolled around the idea of doing weekly digest emails the way Quora does, but I don't know if people would actually get anything out of that to justify the work it takes.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Is a mega thread the same as thread that is re-occurring like the fashion thread?

Or the Webcomics thread?

• Options
    Megathreads cover broad topics. Fashion (in the context of our community) is a narrow topic, regardless of whether it recurs. Webcomics are a broad topic, but I want to contain the infection.

• Options
    Oh god, if webcomics were individual discussions, we'd need a whole subforum for them...

cdci44qazyo3.gif